XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?

Originally Posted by Stargazer XJS
Then I mean to wire up a switch so I can go between that and the stock kickdown switch, kind of as a 'poor man's sport mode'.
A sport mode selector on this thing would be excellent, great idea!

I replaced the alternator this weekend and the battery warning light is blissfully absent from the warning panel. I thought that I had the smaller alternator on there and was going to have to retrofit the 115 but it turns out it had the larger Bosch unit after all, so no modifications were needed to put the new 115 amp unit on.

I haven't driven it around much but a quick spin around the block charged the battery up a couple points. We'll see how she does after a longer cruise! Now it's on to tackle the rest of my (quite long) list of repairs...

Last edited by xjsman89; 07-27-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks! I'll be sure to put up some pictures when I get it done.

I just replaced the fan clutch and like another poster whose fan clutch exploits I'd read about, it took about twice as long as anticipated. Car runs very cool now, and I'm going to sleep like the dead.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts
Question this year

up to now, new fuel tank, new fuel pipes (ones that are still available) 2 drive shaft. ujs, front left stub axel and bearings, cigar lighter, hopfully that's enough for the time being

Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Finished the carport.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?-carport.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
rgp (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

New lower wishbone bushes fitted;
Pagid rebuilt front calipers fitted (thanks RGP for the Europarts info);
Aftermarket brake fluid reservoir fitted (no more leaks from poor lid of OEM one);
Brakes bled throughout so new fluid;
New propshaft fitted;
Car tracked up by the local laser tracker place.

Test drive results: absolutely fantastic; runs dead straight, brakes dead straight, zero vibration at any speed. Just wonderful.

Now to find out why oil is coming out of the exhaust pipe of my recently rebuilt tractor engine...
Greg

Old 07-29-2015, 04:07 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
New lower wishbone bushes fitted;
Pagid rebuilt front calipers fitted (thanks RGP for the Europarts info);
Aftermarket brake fluid reservoir fitted (no more leaks from poor lid of OEM one);
Brakes bled throughout so new fluid;
New propshaft fitted;
Car tracked up by the local laser tracker place.

Test drive results: absolutely fantastic; runs dead straight, brakes dead straight, zero vibration at any speed. Just wonderful.

Now to find out why oil is coming out of the exhaust pipe of my recently rebuilt tractor engine...
Greg
did you get the calipers from euros as the offer isn't on now? nb just found that "extra10" still works

Last edited by rgp; 07-29-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Originally Posted by rgp
did you get the calipers from euros as the offer isn't on now? nb just found that "extra10" still works
I did, via Ebay i think, about 70 or so each and no messing about with cores either.

greg

rgp (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 09:48 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Replaced, or rather installed throttle shaft bushings. Using bronze door hinge bushings.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by dsetter
Replaced, or rather installed throttle shaft bushings. Using bronze door hinge bushings.
Do you happen to know the brand and model number of the door hinge bushings you used? That's on my list of things to do.

I modded my air filter boxes, installed a new fan clutch, and found out what happens when you mix up the radiator caps. Been busy lately.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:18 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XJDanny
Today I am going to replace my dash warning lights with LEDs. It'll be sweet to finally be able to see if my parking brake light is on with the top down!
XJDanny, I just got my first Jag (a '95 convertible like yours) and I'm new here. I just saw your posting about changing to LED for the warning lights. How did that work out? If you have a brand and part number to share, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Old 07-31-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by scottw
XJDanny, I just got my first Jag (a '95 convertible like yours) and I'm new here. I just saw your posting about changing to LED for the warning lights. How did that work out? If you have a brand and part number to share, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
I'm not the poster you were looking for, but I've read a few threads on LED replacements (I didn't do the warning lights, but I did the opticell, shift select switch, and gauge cluster), and I believe one of the warning lights needs to remain incandescent or it will constantly report a fault, but I can't for the life of me remember which one...

scottw (08-04-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Scott,

This post from SouthernGypsy helped me a lot:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lights-124049/

I bought my bulbs from SuperbrightLEDs.com
The post will explain how to install them. You'll see when you read the post that not all people had an easy go of it. It was pretty easy for me and SouthernGypsy though.

If you have a facelift model, here are the quantities and colors you'll need:

7 Red
7 Amber
5 Green
1 Blue

I'm super happy with the result. I can now see my brake warning light, even with the top down!

scottw (08-04-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 AM

I just swapped my gauge lights back to incandescent. I'm going to be getting my hand on non-poliarity LEDs in the future, but for now the struggle of installing white LEDs (to replace the green LEDs) was starting to get ridiculous. I even started fearing that it was causing some other electrical problems. Also ended up sort of damaging the circuit "board" with all the assembly and disassembly no matter how gentle I was.

I have my rheostat functionality back, but it's moot since the lights have to be on full brightness at all times anyway.

I do want to replace my warning lights, though. I can't see my high beam indicator unless it's pitch dark, and since I like to have my lights on as DRLs, I run the risk of potentially pissing many people off.

scottw (08-04-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

I've spent about 2 years getting the 78 back on the road, after sitting in the PO's garage at least 8 years. New brakes, brake lines, rebuilt distributor, cleaned injectors, new high pressure fuel hose in the engine compartment, new fuel injector wiring harness, and other stuff I don't remember. So today we took the Jag to church, drove over to pick up a prescription at the drugstore about 8 miles away, and stopped by the hardware store. Leaving the hardware it all fell apart. It started well enough but stumbled and stalled pulling back out on the road. And there we are with a crank, no start. It might start and run lousy for a few seconds. Acted like it was not getting enough fuel. A very nice young man in a new BMW 1 series convertible was nice enough to stop and give us a ride home. When I returned with my trailer to pick up the Jag, it started up and ran normally. I am suspecting vapor lock. I did cycle the key multiple times to try to get fuel through there, and once I got home I pulled the fuel sending unit to verify there really was as much gas in the tank as I thought there was. About 1/3 full, just below the sender opening. The fuel in the tank is not new, and probably was purchased last fall, or early this spring. Cold weather fuel, not suitable for hot summer temperatures? (90F with high humidity) It was not the confidence inspiring cruise I was hoping for.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Today I pulled out the sbc stroker motor and installed rebuilt 350.
Less power than the stroker but not so obnoxious.
The stroker had real low oil pressure. Time to rebuilt it too I guess. For next project.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,777 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Yesterday I managed to avoid my precious XJS being a total Write Off.

Travelling down a pretty much uncrowded Dual Carriage Way, I was doing 70mph.

And in the process overtaking a number of Cars.

All except one that was doing 60mph.

Something just kept telling me, Not to overtake him although for the life of me, I cannot explain why that was.

So as I was now doing 60mph, someone overtook me and then they started to overtake this Car in front of me for which I was feeling 'bad karma'

When 'bad karma' Car unexpectidly suddenly swung out, in order to overtake the Car that was in front of him and if the other driver hadn't slammed the

brakes on, then he could have had a 'side to side' and that could have been me!

Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stargazer XJS
I'm not the poster you were looking for, but I've read a few threads on LED replacements (I didn't do the warning lights, but I did the opticell, shift select switch, and gauge cluster), and I believe one of the warning lights needs to remain incandescent or it will constantly report a fault, but I can't for the life of me remember which one...
Thanks for the info Danny. With your input, I will research further before doing the light conversion.

Scott

Old 08-04-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by XJDanny
Scott,

This post from SouthernGypsy helped me a lot:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lights-124049/

I bought my bulbs from SuperbrightLEDs.com
The post will explain how to install them. You'll see when you read the post that not all people had an easy go of it. It was pretty easy for me and SouthernGypsy though.

If you have a facelift model, here are the quantities and colors you'll need:

7 Red
7 Amber
5 Green
1 Blue

I'm super happy with the result. I can now see my brake warning light, even with the top down!

Danny and Stargazer XJS,

Thank you both for the info. I think I will go with the warning light conversion for now. Your input was most helpful. Thanks again.

Scott

Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 PM

I think I'm in the thick of it. Car's at the body shop awaiting judgment. Spring carrier broke free at the front right wheel, and there's another fracture nearby that I'm worried may mean curtains for the poor car. Needless to say, I'm a bit worried.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:04 PM
Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Boot hinges

Ever since I bought my xjs 2 months ago the boot (trunk) lid has groaned and squeaked as it opened. Not a big deal but it annoyed me big time. So today I oiled the hinges. Now it glides open without a sound and I often pop into the garage to hear (or not hear!) it open - I don't get out a lot!

If you want to join the fun place a small mirror on top of the fuel tank underneath the hinge and with a flashlight you can just see where it pivots. You will then need one of those oil spray cans with a thin flexible extension tube to squirt a drop of oil into each end of the hinge pivot. You will have to do this looking upside down into the mirror so have rags ready as you will probably miss several times.

Enjoy,

LeeP

Jonathan-W (08-13-2015)

Quick Reply: What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?