XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Originally Posted by dborthwick
I just replaced all the belts on my '94 XJS 6.0L V12 Convertible. The dealer also talked me in to flushing/changing the Steering Fluid and the Coolant Fluid.

I was initially skeptical; however am now very happy. As I drove away from the dealer the car seemed so much tighter. The steering seems firmer, and everything much more responsive. I'm pretty sure these fluid and belt changes are not on the usual list of things to do given they are largely preventative. But I can assure you they do positively alter the driving experience.
Exactly so. The key, in my view, is to understand the perfection of the car is cumulative, and everything needs to be just right for the full XJS experience to be had. Once it is all done the car is, as you so rightly say, qualitatively different - and it stays that way for many thousands of miles with just the normal servicing. I think that to an extent the Jaguars of this era are somewhat unique in this regard. So much careful development time went into NVH, drivetrain, engine and suspension, using just low tech componentry like rubber bushes, that what you might call the chain of componentry needs to be unbroken, with nothing below par, to get the full Jaguar feel.
Greg

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
dborthwick (01-06-2017), Doug (01-06-2017), Jonathan-W (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Exactly so. The key, in my view, is to understand the perfection of the car is cumulative, and everything needs to be just right for the full XJS experience to be had. Once it is all done the car is, as you so rightly say, qualitatively different - and it stays that way for many thousands of miles with just the normal servicing. I think that to an extent the Jaguars of this era are somewhat unique in this regard. So much careful development time went into NVH, drivetrain, engine and suspension, using just low tech componentry like rubber bushes, that what you might call the chain of componentry needs to be unbroken, with nothing below par, to get the full Jaguar feel.
Greg
The catchphrase here is engineering.

As they made and designed these cars, the engineers were engineers. They would know how rubber reacted and what would happen, if you tweak the suspension.

Modern cars are purely designed on the computer. They get field tested and then well that was it. The beta tester aka the buyer will complain if something is wrong. Jaguar couldn't afford that at the time.

You notice how it was when it comes to long term quality and driveablity...

The following 3 users liked this post by Daim:
dborthwick (01-06-2017), Greg in France (01-06-2017), Jonathan-W (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
The catchphrase here is engineering.

As they made and designed these cars, the engineers were engineers. They would know how rubber reacted and what would happen, if you tweak the suspension.

Modern cars are purely designed on the computer. They get field tested and then well that was it. The beta tester aka the buyer will complain if something is wrong. Jaguar couldn't afford that at the time.

You notice how it was when it comes to long term quality and driveablity...
That is true, the main guy apparently was a Mr Bob Knight, who relentlessly experimented with different rubbers, spring rates, shocker characteristics, even filling suspension arms with various different substances etc etc, and he had a wonderful sensitivity and feel for what worked and what did not. Different world, more fun too, more room for the individual genius and hard won experience to be given rein.
Greg

The following 4 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Daim (01-06-2017), dborthwick (01-06-2017), Jonathan-W (01-06-2017), orangeblossom (01-07-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

The key, in my view, is to understand the perfection of the car is cumulative, and everything needs to be just right for the full XJS experience to be had.
The trick there is to know whether your car is perfect, or good, or merely adequate. If you have little knowledge of similar cars, even adequate can feel like a major step up....

The following 2 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
dborthwick (01-06-2017), orangeblossom (01-07-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member

On an unrelated note, my new spark plug leads arrived today from Rock Auto (okay, I didn't BUY them today, but they arrived today, which is the main thing for this thread). Clearly been sitting on a warehouse shelf for a long time.... Nice blue colour to go with my blue car.

The goal is to replace them myself, but only if it's sensible for a rank amateur to do so. I would assume going one at a time, comparing lengths between old and new very carefully, would do it. Though getting the leads off might require removing other things first. Hope not. Or at least not too much....
First thing to get, however, is a heatproof clip to hold two leads together as per Jaguar's TSB for the new lead routing scheme.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
On an unrelated note, my new spark plug leads arrived today from Rock Auto
I have mine, with the correct numbering, OEM, next to my desk.
If you need measurements against numbers, feel free to ask.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,777 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Hi Someday

Having replaced all the Spark Plugs myself, getting some of those Plug Leads off can be a real 'Bar Steward'

Some of them are very hard to get to, especially underneath the 'Air Con Motor' and if they have been on there a while, some of them are not very keen to let go.

So at the very minimum, I would suggest you get yourself a Very long pair of long nose pliers, as you can sort of lever them off with those but be careful not to crack the porcelain part of the plug.

3Pcs Mechanics Engineers Long Nose Pliers 11 inch 280mm Garage Tool Plier Set UK | eBay

Old 01-06-2017, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Eric - I might have to take you up on that. I'll see how things go.

OB - I hope it won't be too bad, as the spark plugs were all replaced a few months ago, so the connections should be loosened. Though the ones on the dizzy might not have been touched. Might be an idea to invest in those pliers, too....

What makes me nervous about any repair/work like this is getting to a point where I'm stuck and can't go forward, and can't easily go backward either, and end up having to call a tow truck. So one at a time, easy does it, and if things look dodgy, don't try and overextend myself....

orangeblossom (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Well, some words of encouragement; my leads on the dizzy (Lucas) came off without any problem at all, it is almost impossible they get stuck.

And in my case, the plug side also came off without a problem, and that was with the original leads / plugs, which were probably never replaced in the last 25 years ...

Old 01-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, mine's Marelli though - Lucas I'd trust to come apart in my hands. Italians are stubborn, however....

Old 01-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

I had no problem taking mine off... And I have a Marelli

And with the proper set, you can get the dizzy looking nice too!

Old 01-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

It won't be boring, at least....

Old 01-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

That is true, the main guy apparently was a Mr Bob Knight, who relentlessly experimented with different rubbers, spring rates, shocker characteristics, even filling suspension arms with various different substances etc etc, and he had a wonderful sensitivity and feel for what worked and what did not. Different world, more fun too, more room for the individual genius and hard won experience to be given rein.
Greg
Greg, I know what you mean. Are you aware of the Ford Focus MK I and MK II (not US MK II) suspension setup? The Focus has always been praised for it's great handling with comfort. My C30 was based on the MK II Focus platform (C1). Ford spent lots of MAN hours (not computer) tweaking the suspension in a way, that it would work. It is a rather simple design (less complicated than that of an XJ-S) and very cheap to build...

VW couldn't manage to get a good, simple IRS for a FWD car sorted out. All they could do was a twist beam rear axle. So they "bought" an employee from Ford for a fortune to find out: he couldn't set an axle up, heck, he couldn't even tweak it. Why? Because he had no idea of how to fine tune it... The bloke was only an engineer of the "modern world". In the end VW had to spend an awful lot more on designing a rear axle for a compact car. Making it cost a fortune.

Ford has their IRS in all cars around Focus size (C-Max, Focus, and larger). Also all other cars in the corporation (former brands like Volvo, Mazda and co) used it. Cheaper to build than the normal twist beam style. VW only offers it now on the Golf VII for a surcharge on the GTI and R models... Golf V and VI had it with all engines. VW just can't get it right...

Just as a little information towards engineers today and engineers in the past.

Greg in France (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

this came with my magnecor wires

Ah, mine's Marelli though - Lucas I'd trust to come apart in my hands. Italians are stubborn, however....

Some Day, Some Day (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

I've got the same diagram in a TSB downloaded from this site, so let's hope it works out.... Don't have the clip, but I figure pretty much any heatproof clip would work.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

The clip is cool and keeps things looking nice and original. A zip tie around them would do.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not worried about that level of originality, no. I saw some heatproof zip ties for sale the other day - that would be fine.
First I apparently need some "dielectric grease"....

Old 01-07-2017, 10:15 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts
Default at last there here

for my he ignition amplifier

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?-100_1824.jpg   What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?-100_1825.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,874 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Thanks Eric - I might have to take you up on that. I'll see how things go.

OB - I hope it won't be too bad, as the spark plugs were all replaced a few months ago, so the connections should be loosened. Though the ones on the dizzy might not have been touched. Might be an idea to invest in those pliers, too....

You have an advantage here in knowing that the leads will be replaced.....so you can cut 'em, slice the boot open, whatever...to ease removal them. But, since you ARE replacing them Murphy's Law will dictate that they'll all be easily removed with no damage.

The same law dictates that if you had no intention whatsoever to replace them, each and every one would come apart in your hands

What makes me nervous about any repair/work like this is getting to a point where I'm stuck and can't go forward, and can't easily go backward either, and end up having to call a tow truck.

God hates a coward

Just teasing.

FWIW you are not alone. I have the very same trepidation at times. It's all a matter of degree and comfort level. The nature of my job requires that I work on some older exotics...Ferraris and the like. Mistakes can be very expensive. Ruin one spark plug wire means buying an entire new set for $2600. Dropping a distributor cap is a $650 'oooops' moment. I hate it. Very nerve wracking.

So one at a time, easy does it, and if things look dodgy, don't try and overextend myself....
A method and philosophy that will serve you very well on any XJS and/or V12 repair. Slow and methodical. You really have to learn to enjoy the process as much as the result. If you try to rush, or get frustrated, the car will fight you every inch of the way....that much I can promise and I'll wager everyone here will agree.

As you tackle more tasks you'll come across some of Jaguar's less-than-finest moments of design and engineering. Don't be angry. Be philosophic. Attitude is everything when working on these cars. Anything that has the appearance of poor engineering is actually nothing more than 'an interesting design feature'.

You don't own an XJS. You have a relationship with it. Relationships can be challenging but a well sorted XJS is a joy. The car will repay your efforts in more than equal measure.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Jonathan-W (01-07-2017), Some Day, Some Day (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

We all have to start somewhere, I guess. But before I pull so much as a single plug, I'm going to make sure I have all the right tools, and know what, if anything, I need to shift/remove first. It would certainly be a lot more stressful than handing the box to my usual garage, along with a wad of cash, but I would feel much better for having done it myself. The more I can demystify the V12, the better. One thing that helps, actually, is reading about other engines, which have their own infuriating quirks and hassles, like having to remove the air cleaner to even get at the plugs, or worse. So long as I know what to do, and how to do it, I think it should be okay....

And I should also make sure that the new wires are in fact compatible - RockAuto says they are, but who knows....

Quick Reply: What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?