XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
Geeezzzeee. Vancouver you're just a barrel of laughs. I do believe I will be eliminating the ABS Thank You.

Jack
The (un)funny part us I've experienced most of those. Havn't **** myself yet...and did manage to avoid a guard rail impact more than once. I believe OrangeBlossom? has an adventure on this subject...the problem is a ribbon wire inside the brake unit it gets deteriorated and fails to signal the brakes resulting in failure or death pull to right or left.

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,046 Posts

Randyp,

I'm not sure how the US categorise their Model Years but all XJS built in 1989 (indeed even all XJS built in 1988) had ABS.

Cheers

Paul

Old 09-25-2020, 08:48 AM
Received 162 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Auto Europe in Birmingham, MI

Originally Posted by Xjeffs
so after 10 years, I started it. And it fired up . I was pretty concerned due to the amount of mouse nesting I found, but I have yet to find any evidence of wire damage.

If I list what I actually did to prep for firing it up, it's a long list, most of which should be an undoing of a list that would be in the confession thread.

I set the TPS correctly that Auto Europe in Birmingham, MI installed and set at 0 volts at idle.
pulled the distributor cap, lubed the weights and checked the vacuum advance
soldered the butt connectors in the oxygen sensors that I had crimped years ago
replaced the starter and stripped 12 point bolt (different thread)
rerouted lots of poorly routed wires and vacuum houses by jaguar of Troy, Mi.
ran new distributer vent hose that was burnt and missed during repair by jaguar of Troy, Mi
new air filters
new rear pads
new exhaust manifold donuts
new oil pan gasket
700R4 installation complete (another thread)
fixed front spring shims
entire brake system bleed
fixed leaking tire (plug leaking)

we should be wheels on the ground shortly.

Jeff
To say I'm very irritated with the job Auto Europe in Birmingham, MI did on my fire repair is an understatement. I have been saying jaguar of Troy, I just remembered it wasn't them. I need to correct the record. It's been a while ago.

I also just found they set my distributer at about 12 degrees too retarded. I moved the adjustment fully advanced and it is still 8 degrees too low so I loosened the bases screws and adjusted the distributer so I can set timing circuit and it runs great now.

Here's the list of bungles:
1. Distributor timing set 12 degrees too retarded
2. Enrichment map switch wires burned and broken and not replaced (but taped up)
3. TPS installed at 0v from idle to about 20% throttle.
4 vacuum lines with burn holes left
5. Distributer vent hose with burn hole.

Last edited by Xjeffs; 09-25-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:38 AM
Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts

The other day I decided that I was tired of seeing the light out on my one switch and the horribly cracked veneer around my trip computer, so I decided to try popping it off. Bad idea. I cracked the plastic face of my computer and went oops! So I pushed it back in and left it till I had more time to look into it. Of course on the way to work a day later I noticed that, while my clock worked, the backlight didn't smh! So I did some research and found the proper way to remove everything via the ridiculously small bolts with stupid washers on the side of the computer smh. Of course with my stature and hand size, getting those two bolts out took me about 15min after I removed the switches! From there I had to feel around and figure out how to pull the computer forward. Turns out they had the wire harness in a hook above the computer. I pushed it up and the hook and all came out. Pulled everything apart and took it into the workshop. I checked my backlight bulbs and sure enough one had blown, and I obviously didn't have anything close to them laying around. I sparingly used some epoxy to fix the computer face and let it dry. I then took apart the switches and cleaned them out and gave them a little grease. I checked those lights and with wiggling the one turned on! Woohooo! I thought. I picked up my computer and realized that apparently a drop of epoxy had gotten on my dist button and it wouldn't pop out! Argh! Took it apart again, cleaned up the excess epoxy and re-epoxied the case. In the meantime I had removed all of the horribly cracked veneer and decided to shoot the surround black. Since the radio surround was already black I figured it might blend ok. I let everything dry and put it in the car, not bolting in the computer as I still have to find bulbs, but it fits pretty tight for now. I turned on my lights and now both switches lights are out! ARGH! Oh well. I'm happy with the black, and I'll figure out the switch bulbs next time!

Old 09-26-2020, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,922 Likes on 7,175 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp

One other question, would a car manufactured in July of 89 be considered a 90, since it has ABS?
No. ABS wouldn't be the determining factor, as ABS was a used on 1989 model year cars as well

Cheers
DD

Old 09-26-2020, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,922 Likes on 7,175 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Randyp,

I'm not sure how the US categorise their Model Years but all XJS built in 1989 (indeed even all XJS built in 1988) had ABS.
Jaguar really monkeyed things around when designating "model year" for USA cars.

"1988 model year" began with VIN 139052 (or something very close to that) in February 1987.

Near as I can tell (USA) 1989 MY began with 148782 and (USA) 1990 MY with 165791....although I don't have calendar cross-references for those at hand

Cheers
DD

Old 09-27-2020, 03:18 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Think i can count this "for XJS today". Continued renovation/modification for very beautiful, old living container... You know these nice things used for temporary housing when building new home etc etc and having rails under it for easy moving by purposely equipped truck. This is also wide, 3m/10ft from wall to wall so car doors can be opened well.
Bought cheap one from local farmer, it will be winter home for Jaguar and Rover as i have only small garage which cannot house two cars. Lucky me, container is in fairly good shape. Usually these are having leaky roof and rest of the structure is rotten away. Needs new wooden outer wall covering, couple of new interior wall panels + part of insulation and of course i need to build door to get car in. But hey, this is easily done and costs are very low if you compare to build new garage. Here in Finland it is not cheap to build anything bigger, due to requirements from state and nature.

Now i can keep one car in the garage for winter maintenance and another is sleeping in the container, in warm and dry.

The following 4 users liked this post by FinCat:
89 Jacobra (09-27-2020), Greg in France (09-27-2020), Mac Allan (09-27-2020), Timeisrelative (09-27-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 10:35 PM
Received 162 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Xjeffs
To say I'm very irritated with the job Auto Europe in Birmingham, MI did on my fire repair is an understatement. I have been saying jaguar of Troy, I just remembered it wasn't them. I need to correct the record. It's been a while ago.

I also just found they set my distributer at about 12 degrees too retarded. I moved the adjustment fully advanced and it is still 8 degrees too low so I loosened the bases screws and adjusted the distributer so I can set timing circuit and it runs great now.

Here's the list of bungles:
1. Distributor timing set 12 degrees too retarded
2. Enrichment map switch wires burned and broken and not replaced (but taped up)
3. TPS installed at 0v from idle to about 20% throttle.
4 vacuum lines with burn holes left
5. Distributer vent hose with burn hole.
add one more to the list:
6. Burned and broken wires on the ignition module.

So I rebuilt it, replacing the wires, condenser and Delco ignition module

Burned broken wires, thank you Auto Europa in Birmingham MI.

some good links I used
Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/v12-...iring/129330/2
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/xj-s...-repair/346366

Last edited by Xjeffs; 09-29-2020 at 04:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xjeffs:
Greg in France (09-29-2020), Timeisrelative (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:13 PM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Red face Reading/driving carefully

Reading as much as I can time allowing! As a reward I drive my newly acquired V12 XJS coupe, makes me smile and reinforces doing things correctly. Little by little as they say. Winter is coming and I do plan on making sure things are up to snuff for spring or at least being better informed on what needs to be worked and putting them in order of importance.

Maybe not sexy bit I am new to this owning a classic and just enjoying it!

Poppa doin it..... Hopefully correctly with help from you guys

Old 09-30-2020, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 808 Posts

Finally got my injectors sent off to be rejuvenated. Here's hoping they are all usable.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:41 PM

Finally got my power antenna to work! Wooohooooo!

Xjeffs (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Yay!! For future readers, What was the problem?

Old 09-30-2020, 05:46 PM

Well it was kinda in part to the previous owner, in part to me. Basically it had been swapped at some point for an aftermarket antenna. However the previous owner, in trying to get the car to run, had disconnected many wires throughout the car.ive been working through stuff off and on. Long story short, I tested the antenna with a spare battery and it worked. I decided to check into the wiring on the back of the radio and it turned out there were 2 blue wires and the antenna was hooked to the one on the connector. Unfortunately the connector on the radio apparently wasn't the original connector as the wires don't match the diagram on the radio smh. The other blue wire marked "power antenna", again smh!, Was out of the back. I hooked the doubley spliced, again smh, factory power antenna wire to it and it works perfectly! So basically through out its life, it's had people hacking at wires and hooking stuff up wrong. That's how it goes sometimes with used cars! Don't even get me started about my son's 74 Montego he bought! Yikes!

Old 10-01-2020, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Ya , I hate when that happens. Butchered electrics have always been a huge red flag for me.

Timeisrelative (10-01-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 10:53 PM

Swapped in some led bulbs today! Of course I buttoned everything back up only to find that some of my warning lights don't work and that my sport mode light stays constantly partially lit! Yes I did test the bulbs to see which side was the positive and which was the negative. I thought for sure I put them right. Oh well. Of course we decided to have chinese for dinner tonight and I wanted to see how my instrument cluster looked. Very bright! On the way out, I SLOWLY passed a deer beside the road that I could have almost touched, then I got behind a truck that was really going slow and I thought "crap how slow is he going?" And I looked down only to realize that my speedo was not working now! Argh! Oh well I guess I'll have to tear it apart again smh. That'll make the wife happy. Sorry for the blurry picture, but I like the look! And yes the bulb out warning does go out, and no, neither my oil pressure or temp gauges are working right

Old 10-09-2020, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Timeisrelative
Swapped in some led bulbs today! Of course I buttoned everything back up only to find that some of my warning lights don't work and that my sport mode light stays constantly partially lit! Yes I did test the bulbs to see which side was the positive and which was the negative. I thought for sure I put them right. Oh well. Of course we decided to have chinese for dinner tonight and I wanted to see how my instrument cluster looked. Very bright! On the way out, I SLOWLY passed a deer beside the road that I could have almost touched, then I got behind a truck that was really going slow and I thought "crap how slow is he going?" And I looked down only to realize that my speedo was not working now! Argh! Oh well I guess I'll have to tear it apart again smh. That'll make the wife happy. Sorry for the blurry picture, but I like the look! And yes the bulb out warning does go out, and no, neither my oil pressure or temp gauges are working right

Your temp gauge is reading Oven Roast 450F lol.

Timeisrelative (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 07:18 AM

Yeah as I said, both my temp and oil pressure gauges are not working. Sometimes at startup they both peg full right, sometimes after literally one minute of driving my temp starts climbing past the H. I'll figure it out at some point 😔

Old 10-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Well there's my problem! I went way too fast! Lol! I must not have noticed the needle swing to the other side when I had it apart! Opened it up and swung it back around. Works perfectly now! Phew! Easy fix!

Greg in France (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 02:25 PM

Just picked up my car and woohoo it so nice to have a new windshield! Lol! They also had some “universal” rubber surround which they said would be close, so I said why not, as my old rubber was getting that dusty feel and wouldn’t clean up. Best part, total bill would have been $403.92 (which is actually cheaper than my wife’s 2006 jetta’s was) but I have a zero deductible so it was “free”!

The following 4 users liked this post by Timeisrelative:
Dukejag (10-19-2020), Greg in France (10-11-2020), ptjs1 (10-11-2020), Xjeffs (10-10-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 03:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I was able to score some brand new 16" Lattice wheels after 2 years of search. I finally got some Michelin's to go with the wheels! I will post more pics with them on the car once it is nice out.

These should of been standard across the board. Super HAPPY with them!

The following 3 users liked this post by TTG*:
Doug (10-25-2020), Greg in France (10-21-2020), Timeisrelative (10-25-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?