XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,342 Likes on 5,478 Posts

Which aftermarket aircon system are you fitting, please?
All the hoses can be made up, fuel, aircon, oil. Where possible give the firm the old ones as they can often reuse the metal parts if they are car-specific.
Aftermarket oil cooler just fine, again make sure they have the old engine-end fittings.

FYI I seem to remember that 6 litre fuel pressure regulators are hard to find, so it might be worth you looking into that, and even doing a mod if necessary so a more easily found one can be used. If yours is fine, keep it, obviously, but having another ready to fit, or even fitting and keeping the old one as a spare, is a very good idea. This thread dealt with it at length, and there are links to possible supliers in it here and there:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ulator-236327/

Last edited by Greg in France; 02-01-2021 at 02:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (02-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 03:40 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have to make a decision on AC for a while, but I had assumed it would be the Fen Air Sanden system, mainly because it was recommended by the Living With A Classic youtube channel guy. They do a kit for the V12.

I'm not aware of huge choice for AC systems for the jag, and I'm not sure how much cheaper any complete system would be than £1000. (I do want all new parts.) Any recommendations accepted.

I expect the AC system will come with all the hoses.

My FPR seems good visually, and the engine ran well before I hoicked it, so fingers crossed. The oil and steering cooling systems are the only bits I've trashed, with the exception of some minor cabin trim that has become seriously crumbly. But if cabin trim becomes my biggest problem, I'm laughing!

Old 02-02-2021, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,342 Likes on 5,478 Posts

The FenAire guy's kit is to renew the compressor, pipework in the engine bay, dryer, maybe condenser; all of which is importamt and the guy seems to be good. It does not touch the inside the car unit, as far as I know; but that is probably fine, anyway, and I know a garage in the UK who can diagnose that side of the system.
But I might be wrong about Fenaire not doing the entire thing, in-car and all, I would be interested to know if they do.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:00 AM

There's a distinction between the climate control and the AC - I know you know this, Greg, but in case anyone else benefits from the clarification. The parts of the complete cabin air system inside the cabin are:
- the expansion valve - this is the part of the AC loop that makes the coldy cold go brrr
- the heater core
- the climate control system (the Delanaire) - AJ6 Engineering has a nice page on troubleshooting this
- the blowers (fans)
- vacuum! You need good vacuum for the CC to operate.

On mine, IDK whether the climate control works or not. I know the AC doesn't. I think what I probably need to do is get the car back together with the dash out, run the engine, run the AC, and test that way. It seems to me that the dash is anyway one of the last bits you'd fit on reassembly.

Greg in France (02-02-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 03:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm pretty sure this is the reason my power windows don't work.

Timeisrelative (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 05:04 AM

Looks new tho Eric?

Old 02-09-2021, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by fried_hippies
Looks new tho Eric?

That thick layer of corrosion sure makes it look new.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 808 Posts

Looks good to me, from over here.....
Been working of the fuel side of the motor- installing injector rail, sensors and vacuum hoses. All my blue tags are proving their worth.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:58 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts

changing my Lucas wiper motor for an Electrolux one, got this at a bargain price from Steven Barratt (the S in Sng on ebay he has a lot of 2nd hand jaguar part)

Last edited by rgp; 02-11-2021 at 11:32 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rgp:
eurolat (02-12-2021), Greg in France (02-11-2021), Timeisrelative (02-14-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 03:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Leather hood straps...

Timeisrelative (02-14-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 05:06 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

@FinCat I need to replace every fuel hose on the car - how did you do it? Did you get any custom fittings made?
Hi, sorry for the late reply.
I am doing only hoses in the trunk. Just cutted old hoses metallic collars off from hoses ends and going to fit new hoses with good quality clips/clamps. Collars are easy to remove by hacksaw, use saw lenghtwise and they will be loose enough just pry them off. Don't saw too deep, to avoid damage pipe which is having small shoulder inside of the hose.

I need to do eng compartment hoses at some point as they are original -89 too... still in good shape, thanks for our "not so warm" climate.
For the eng i may do some press fitted hoses or buy a new set.

I am doing trunk hoses now, because tank is out for other reasons and those old hoses let fuel smell thru. (one long hose has been on the carage floor for long time now and it is still smelling fuel, from outside)

This project is going very slowly, still. My dailydriver Range is giving headache and last thing was finding on yearly inspection, one of the front axle ball joint was worn out. This is not quick job to do and currently servicing another axle from donor car... this needs ball joints too. Big and tight things to change.
Weather is not my friend at the moment, we have had -15 to -24c temperatures for a weeks now, makes everything bit difficult and my carage is not made for these temps... but hey, i am Finn so stop complaining and get job done.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:37 PM
Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by DNJX
Leather hood straps...

Love to see a pic of them installed!

Old 02-19-2021, 06:10 AM

Started purchasing bits to refresh some of the systems (cooling, fuel, ignition).

Replaced driver's door outside handle and started the prep work to replace the lower door squeegee seal.

Except this doesn't look right...

I'll be doing the passenger side as well since I have to replace the window regulator, so I can compare.

It's now less of a theoretical exercise.

The following 3 users liked this post by egovreau:
89xjsfix (02-19-2021), eurolat (02-19-2021), Timeisrelative (02-22-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 691 Posts

Kinda looks like someone was there before you? And it doesn't look good.

Jack

Old 02-21-2021, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
Kinda looks like someone was there before you? And it doesn't look good.

Jack
That's what I thought. I don't think the window leaked, but I'm not sure that much goo was necessary.

I've looked at parts diagrams and the best I can tell, there's no rubber seal for under the quarterlight channel and it seems to me that the installed seals would be sufficient without the massive amount of goop.

Hopefully the passenger door will not look the same.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:28 AM
Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

The Mistress now has a new stable mate .... was time to change over my wifes car .... her criteria was a white SUV ... that morphed into a Jaguar F Pace 35t - V6 supercharged ... my wife said that sort of power was not necessary ... i said it was.

Mkii250 (03-04-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by darrhel
The Mistress now has a new stable mate .... was time to change over my wifes car .... her criteria was a white SUV ... that morphed into a Jaguar F Pace 35t - V6 supercharged ... my wife said that sort of power was not necessary ... i said it was.

Approved

darrhel (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 02:17 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

There's a distinction between the climate control and the AC - I know you know this, Greg, but in case anyone else benefits from the clarification. The parts of the complete cabin air system inside the cabin are:
- the expansion valve - this is the part of the AC loop that makes the coldy cold go brrr
- the heater core
- the climate control system (the Delanaire) - AJ6 Engineering has a nice page on troubleshooting this
- the blowers (fans)
- vacuum! You need good vacuum for the CC to operate.

On mine, IDK whether the climate control works or not. I know the AC doesn't. I think what I probably need to do is get the car back together with the dash out, run the engine, run the AC, and test that way. It seems to me that the dash is anyway one of the last bits you'd fit on reassembly.
heres another option for control
https://www.jag-aire.com/copy-of-ja-16-details-1

Old 03-04-2021, 03:22 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

Restyled mi wiper arms and 13" blade for left hand parking

Last edited by rgp; 03-04-2021 at 01:56 PM.
eurolat (03-04-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:09 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by egovreau
Started purchasing bits to refresh some of the systems (cooling, fuel, ignition).

Replaced driver's door outside handle and started the prep work to replace the lower door squeegee seal.

Except this doesn't look right...

I'll be doing the passenger side as well since I have to replace the window regulator, so I can compare.

It's now less of a theoretical exercise.
Hi. I am there at the moment. In my case, both, LH/RH channels were badly corroded, top one is almost completely gone. Lower ones are still serviceable but needs some puffing.
Just separated them and started to make new top channels.
Found out massive amount of silicone, which clearly used for sealing water leaks after channels corroded and became leaky. But, in my case not that much sealant below channel assembly. Maybe someone tried to seal something on yours, but never put enough as bead seems to be still far away from channel??

Almost finished fuel tank/fuel hoses on trunk area. Everything installed back, with brand new 2-layer hoses and after smell test i was happy... no fuel smell anymore. Nothing leaked there at the beginning, but old original hoses seems to let smell thru. Rear screen installed too.

Last edited by FinCat; 03-09-2021 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?