XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What Grease Should I use? XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,633 Posts
Default What Grease Should I use? XJS V12

Hi

Please could someone advise me of the Best Grease to use for things like Wheel Bearings and also General Purpose.

As I am a little bit confused (so no change there!)

Should I used the Lithium Type (which looks like normal grease)

Or the high temperature MS3 (which is black in color)

Thanks for your help

Old 06-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,284 Likes on 5,418 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi

Please could someone advise me of the Best Grease to use for things like Wheel Bearings and also General Purpose.

As I am a little bit confused (so no change there!)

Should I used the Lithium Type (which looks like normal grease)

Or the high temperature MS3 (which is black in color)

Thanks for your help
Some people use different grease for different applications.

Lithium is our grease of choice for general purpose, control arm bushings, tie rod ends, etc.

But for wheel bearings we ONLY use special High Temperature wheel bearing grease, the black kind. Sta-Lube is the brand currently on hand.

However, during your Burning Brakes episode, Greg In France recommended Castrol BNS grease for wheel bearings, which may be better for you as he probably has a better idea what's available in your part of the world.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

Agreed.

I have ONE grease gun.

I use Moreys Wheel Bearing grease on everything. It is water resistant, and "sticky".

As Lenor said, your market will predict what you can obtain.

I have used that grease for 16+ years, and no failures to date.

No grease points on the 2 S type, and only 4 on the X300, so not much of that activity these days.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
LnrB (06-16-2014), orangeblossom (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Some people use different grease for different applications.

Lithium is our grease of choice for general purpose, control arm bushings, tie rod ends, etc.

But for wheel bearings we ONLY use special High Temperature wheel bearing grease, the black kind. Sta-Lube is the brand currently on hand.

However, during your Burning Brakes episode, Greg In France recommended Castrol BNS grease for wheel bearings, which may be better for you as he probably has a better idea what's available in your part of the world.
(';')
Hi Elinor

When I asked that question, in my local Car accessory Store, that I use for general bits and pieces.

They suggested that I used lithium based (grease colored grease) for Wheel Bearings.

But when I asked for the (black colored grease) the high temperature stuff, the manager said it was no good for wheel bearings and should only be used for prop shaft joints.

So I took his advice and bought the lithium stuff, which I haven't yet opened, as I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that he was wrong!

As is so often the case with 'self styled' experts!

The only way to know for sure, is to ask on here, where enthusiasts like Yourself and Greg, do know what they're talking about, so I'm going to change it.

I did ask for Castrol BNS as per Gregs recommendation but they didn't have that one in stock.

But on the Plus Side 'if there is one!' It also taught me something that I have suspected for years!

If an 'Expert' Tells you something, then you tend to believe it and that also goes for Doctors and Dentists as well, so with that in mind I do try and trust my own judgement.

Although as you can see, 'I slipped up with the Grease!' (pun intended!)

As I always like to go my own way and never follow the Crowd, I had a filling fall out of one of my Teeth, where my Dentist was quoting me 'Mega Bucks' to replace it!' As I wanted a 'White One' to preserve my good looks?

So I decided to do it myself! (I mean how hard can it be?) As I already had the tools to do the job!

In the form a a high speed 'die grinder' with various grinding bits like real Dentists use, but the GF said if the bit flew out at 10,000 rpm I would probably kill myself, so I gave that some thought!

So I came up with a 'Work round', by putting the 'die grinding bit' into my 'Dremmel' which is similar to a 'die grinder' but has a flexible shaft and flexible speed.

Then I got some professional Tooth Filler off ebay for £17.00 just like the real dentists use and as I had already got a mirror on a stick, which was much bigger and better than real dentists use, I was ready to go.

Cleaning out the Cavity with the 'Dremmel' was nowhere near as painful, as I thought it would be, so I didn't end up covered in blood, like I did when taking the Radiator, out of the XJS.

In fact I only cut myself once, so I just washed my mouth out with some salty water and the bleeding stopped. (eventually!)

Then I just mixed up the Resin with the Hardener and using the special spatula, which is supplied with the Kit, you get 7 minutes! before it goes 'Rock Hard!'

So I just spooned it in and then leveled it off and even though I say so myself, it was a piece of Cake, which even impressed the GF who thought that I was mad! (and She's probably right!)

But its saved me enough money to buy a brand new tyre/tire, so that's a result!

LnrB (06-17-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Agreed.

I have ONE grease gun.

I use Moreys Wheel Bearing grease on everything. It is water resistant, and "sticky".

No grease points on the 2 S type, and only 4 on the X300, so not much of that activity these days.
Hi Grant

Good to hear from you! and will take your advice, especially that of yours passed on from 'Greg' 'Do it once and Do it Right!'

Advice which I have been following to the letter!

'Greg' has been enormous help and now my once 'Whistling Screeching' XJS is running and driving like a dream!

With everything to do with the Brakes renewed, as well as rectifying a loose fan belt, which was the cause of the 'Whistling Kettle' type noise!

Grant Francis (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Agreed.

I have ONE grease gun.

Grant, I had never thought of using wheel bearing grease for Everything! But now you mention it, it sounds perfectly logical! I'll recommend that to Him Inside next time we need more grease.
(';') aka
Elinor B.

orangeblossom (06-17-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Elinor

When I asked that question, in my local Car accessory Store, that I use for general bits and pieces.

They suggested that I used lithium based (grease colored grease) for Wheel Bearings.

But when I asked for the (black colored grease) the high temperature stuff, the manager said it was no good for wheel bearings and should only be used for prop shaft joints.

So I took his advice and bought the lithium stuff, which I haven't yet opened, as I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that he was wrong!
My first thought at this was, "YOU'RE KIDDING!!" But obviously that person has NO experience in the Real Automotive World! You should listen to that little voice in the back of your mind. It's Right On! Take the stuff back!

As is so often the case with 'self styled' experts!

The only way to know for sure, is to ask on here, where enthusiasts like Yourself and Greg, do know what they're talking about, so I'm going to change it.

I did ask for Castrol BNS as per Gregs recommendation but they didn't have that one in stock.

But on the Plus Side 'if there is one!' It also taught me something that I have suspected for years!

If an 'Expert' Tells you something, then you tend to believe it and that also goes for Doctors and Dentists as well, so with that in mind I do try and trust my own judgement.

Although as you can see, 'I slipped up with the Grease!' (pun intended!)
If it doesn't seem right, it probably isn't, Unless, you have irrefutable proof otherwise. I can see how someone off the street could be led far astray by such "Experts." It makes me wonder just how much damage their inaccurate information actually causes.

As I always like to go my own way and never follow the Crowd, I had a filling fall out of one of my Teeth, where my Dentist was quoting me 'Mega Bucks' to replace it!' As I wanted a 'White One' to preserve my good looks?

So I decided to do it myself! (I mean how hard can it be?) As I already had the tools to do the job!
There I would draw a very hard line. Your GF is absolutely right! You're Insane!

In the form a a high speed 'die grinder' with various grinding bits like real Dentists use, but the GF said if the bit flew out at 10,000 rpm I would probably kill myself, so I gave that some thought!

So I came up with a 'Work round', by putting the 'die grinding bit' into my 'Dremmel' which is similar to a 'die grinder' but has a flexible shaft and flexible speed.

Then I got some professional Tooth Filler off ebay for £17.00 just like the real dentists use and as I had already got a mirror on a stick, which was much bigger and better than real dentists use, I was ready to go.

Cleaning out the Cavity with the 'Dremmel' was nowhere near as painful, as I thought it would be, so I didn't end up covered in blood, like I did when taking the Radiator, out of the XJS.

In fact I only cut myself once, so I just washed my mouth out with some salty water and the bleeding stopped. (eventually!)

Then I just mixed up the Resin with the Hardener and using the special spatula, which is supplied with the Kit, you get 7 minutes! before it goes 'Rock Hard!'

So I just spooned it in and then leveled it off
But OB, your teeth aren't level!! They have gooves! You'll break the one that meets it!

and even though I say so myself, it was a piece of Cake, which even impressed the GF who thought that I was mad! (and She's probably right!)

She's right. You ARE mad! But we Love these stories.
(';')

Old 06-17-2014, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,298 Likes on 5,461 Posts

Jesus, OB, you are some mad sod!

All grease is not equal. While I am sure it does not matter which lithium based grease you use on the front wheelbearings of a road going cruiser, Castrol BNS is the one the rally guys use, for everything, particularly their wheelbearings (huge loads, massive stresses etc etc) and things that can get hot hard use. If your GFs tame factor does not carry it, then google it, or any of the go faster guys like Merlin Motorsport, Demon tweeks, etc etc. But no need to clean out any grease that is there already, just use it in future if you want to.

IMO the rear axle is the thing that needs top quality grease the most, all 10 nipples of it. I do my rear axle every time I have the car on the ramp, but AT LEAST once a year, whatever mileage you do, I believe is important. The most of the greased surfaces in the rear axle bearings get hard work but very little articulation, and so very little movement to distribute the grease over the bearing, so top stuff is important, I think.

Greg

Old 06-17-2014, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Jesus, OB, you are some mad sod!

All grease is not equal. While I am sure it does not matter which lithium based grease you use on the front wheelbearings of a road going cruiser, Castrol BNS is the one the rally guys use, for everything, particularly their wheelbearings (huge loads, massive stresses etc etc) and things that can get hot hard use. If your GFs tame factor does not carry it, then google it, or any of the go faster guys like Merlin Motorsport, Demon tweeks, etc etc. But no need to clean out any grease that is there already, just use it in future if you want to.

IMO the rear axle is the thing that needs top quality grease the most, all 10 nipples of it. I do my rear axle every time I have the car on the ramp, but AT LEAST once a year, whatever mileage you do, I believe is important. The most of the greased surfaces in the rear axle bearings get hard work but very little articulation, and so very little movement to distribute the grease over the bearing, so top stuff is important, I think.

Greg
Hi Greg

You are right! I will track it down and find some, the Factor where I got the Calipers will have some for sure, so that will teach me to avoid these Car Accessory Shops, where they very clearly know 'Rock All!'

Our Trip to the Sea Side got cancelled! due to inclement Weather!

Friday was a beautiful day, so we were really looking forward to the Weekend!

So check out this Forecast!

'With High Pressure Building, The Heatwave Is Set To Continue!'

As an Anglophile yourself, You will know, that this almost guarantees rain and though it didn't get to that, Saturday turned out to be just as dull as 'dishwater' and certainly not a day to have the Top Down!

So I thought I would surprise the GF with my good deed for the day, for helping myself to some Acetone (nail varnish remover) out of her 'Make Up Case' without her permission.

Where I was warned if I did that again, She would get hold of my 'naughty bits' and twist them round and round, so that when She let them go, they would spin much faster, Than the Blades on an Apache Gunship Helicopter!

Does that sound painful to you?

So while I was buying that Tin of Grease, I bought her a Gallon of Acetone from the Car Accessory Shop and gift wrapped it in paper, with a ribbon and a Card!

Who said that Romance was dead!

Unfortunately She was not impressed, as by the shape of the Parcel, She thought I bought her Shoes! (which was part of my plan!) as I got to keep the Acetone for myself!

Though unbeknown to her I had a better Surprise in store, as I got us a couple of Tickets, to see 'Les Miserable s' which was a play that She had been dying to see!

Don't ask me to explain the Plot, as you probably know it already, though for me to understand it would require a 'Workshop Manual' all of its own!
though some of the Songs were quite good.

Although it really wasn't for me, I love the Aspect of the 'Theatre Snob' where if you have seen it more than once, as many people have, it is just referred to as 'Les Miz'

Where people refer to the Actors, by first names as if they are long lost friends!

'Oh Miz, we've seen that loads of times, 'Alfie' was really great but 'Peters' taken over now and so has 'Celinde'

These are the kind of people, who can bore the pants off you, at any dinner party but the GF was over the moon!

As we spent the day in London going round the Shops, which of course is her favorite Hobby!

We went by train and left the Jag, safely locked up in the Garage and had a great day, though if She wants to see it again, She can go with one of her M8tes.

But I did find a great driving tune! 'Stars' from Les Miz being sung by Collabro! which I think sounds better than what we heard in the Theatre! and I am now playing it all the time in the XJS as it sounds so regal!

So as you can tell, I'm turning into a bit of a Culture Freak! so the next time it could be a night at the Opera down at dury lane.

Pic of the Case to satisfy LNR that it wasn't her bag! Although I did feel quite nervous getting it out of her cupboard, in case she walked in!

She's even gone and hidden the keys! and there was me daft enough to believe that our relationship was built on trust!

http://

Attached Thumbnails What Grease Should I use? XJS V12-case_zps4eac606a.jpg  

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-17-2014 at 05:26 AM.
LnrB (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,298 Likes on 5,461 Posts

OB
Turns out Castrol BNS is no longer made, so my two tins are rare and precious. this looks like its newer equivalent:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...erature-grease

These look pretty good if price is anything to go by, but really, any decent lithium EP grease for wheelbearings will be fine, I am sure:

Fuchs Titan Race WB Grease - Wheel Bearing Grease

Amsoil Fully Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grade #2 Grease

Amsoil Fully Synthetic Lithium Based Grease

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 06-17-2014 at 06:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
LnrB (06-17-2014), orangeblossom (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 AM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

So I just spooned it in and then leveled it off and even though I say so myself, it was a piece of Cake, which even impressed the GF who thought that I was mad! (and She's probably right!)

OB
My wife had to inform me that my mouth was hanging open this morning as I read this. This was unfortunate. She spotted a missing filling and has vowed to go DIY on me so she can afford a new dress.
I'm going to have to cut down on my saturday brewery consumption and learn to sleep with one eye open lest I wake up with her knees on my chest and the dremel in my mouth.
Seriously it is quite the funniest thing I've ever seen on a car forum. Please tell me it isn't true!

The following 2 users liked this post by texasscot:
Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

Its TRUE.

There will be more to come, trust me.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

I use high temp wheel bearing grease on wheel bearings, u-joints, chassis/suspension grease points. I think that's what others here have mentioned.

In the USA all the typical parts outlets stock a variety of different wheel bearing greases but the most common is the red synthetic stuff. There are other colors and some claim to be Ford-spec or GM-spec or Japanese car-spec or whatever. Truth is, I've used all of them interchangeably on wheel bearings on any car with serviceable wheel bearings and never suffered an ill result. Of course, I re-pack bearings on a scheduled basis so my good fortune might have more to do with that than anything else. If my nonchalant grease selection is a mistake then it takes more than 30k miles to find out

Wayyyy back in the old days grease guns were usually loaded with a low grade chassis-lube. That brown-ish stuff that actually seemed a bit stringy. It was OK for chassis fittings but little else, and certainly not u-joints or wheel bearings. I haven't seen any on the shelves in decades.

Some of the older wheel bearing greases were terrible. The grease would get hot, melt, and then simply cake-up when cooled...leaving the bearings dry. Again, this is something I haven't seen in decades.

I'm rambling.....

The only thing I wanted to say, really, is that the XJS doesn't actually require anything exotic. Any name brand 'high temp wheel bearing grease' should be perfectly satisfactory and, quite possibly, is superior to what was being used 20-30 years ago when our cars were rolling down the assembly line.

Just my two cents

Cheers
DD

The following 4 users liked this post by Doug:
LnrB (06-17-2014), Norri (06-17-2014), orangeblossom (06-17-2014), texasscot (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

[...]

Pic of the Case to satisfy LNR that it wasn't her bag! Although I did feel quite nervous getting it out of her cupboard, in case she walked in!

She's even gone and hidden the keys! and there was me daft enough to believe that our relationship was built on trust!
I warned you that you had violated a sacred trust when you did that, OB, so you shouldn't be surprised she's locked you out. In fact, you would do well to take her at her word what she'll do to you if you ever do that again.

I found the music you mentioned, but it's not what I would call Driving Music. In fact, if I had that going at night it would put me to sleep! Driving Music gets the adrenaline pumping and your gas foot going down, and your head bobbing, and your fingers tapping. "Stars" definitely did NOT do that for me.
(';')

Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Try the William Tell overture "overture of 1812". You will be pushing the go fast peddle to where the scenery will be a blur.

The following 2 users liked this post by RonaldP:
Old 06-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Thanks folks! I've acquired a rotten head cold. Thee tales cheered me up.

Some years ago, I watched a local dentist tune up a set of dentures. Dremel!!! It is better than the knock off I have. However, I have a ton stuff to use with it.

Early on, when I was a kid and baby teeth were on the verge of being pushed out by the final versions, A string and a door knob finished the job.

I am extremely fortunate. I have all mine, sans one wisdom and one other small one.

Way back when, I worked in a Texaco full service station. We used three basic "greases". Marfak was the brand name. One in a big tub for the air powered grease gun used on u-joints and chassis fittings. Another long fibred grease for hand massage into wheel bearings. And, a hand gun loaded with "water pump grease" for the occasional old car with a fitting on the water pump.

Then, much later, disc brakes came over!! The oil companies jumped in with their versions for them as a high temperature lube.

The oily corner of my bench has some of a lot of that stuff.

Side bar:

My HF hand grease gun develops more PSI's than my HF air boosted grease gun!!

I do have a tray of Zerks. Useful in replacing clogged ones. And, whern I built my roadster, it got all new Zerks.

Carl

Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RonaldP
Try the William Tell overture "overture of 1812". You will be pushing the go fast peddle to where the scenery will be a blur.
We made a CD once of a compilation of everything that encouraged driving with Enormous Panache, (to borrow [steal] a phrase from cat_as_trophy, [Ken] It's OK, I warned him about it) and that was one selection.

I was looking for that the other day, I wonder where it wandered off to...
(';')

Old 06-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
My first thought at this was, "YOU'RE KIDDING!!" But obviously that person has NO experience in the Real Automotive World! You should listen to that little voice in the back of your mind. It's Right On! Take the stuff back!

If it doesn't seem right, it probably isn't, Unless, you have irrefutable proof otherwise. I can see how someone off the street could be led far astray by such "Experts." It makes me wonder just how much damage their inaccurate information actually causes.

There I would draw a very hard line. Your GF is absolutely right! You're Insane!
But OB, your teeth aren't level!! They have gooves! You'll break the one that meets it!

She's right. You ARE mad! But we Love these stories.
(';')
But OB, your teeth aren't level!

They sure are now Elinor!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB
Turns out Castrol BNS is no longer made, so my two tins are rare and precious. this looks like its newer equivalent:

Castrol High Temperature Grease - Demon Tweeks

These look pretty good if price is anything to go by, but really, any decent lithium EP grease for wheelbearings will be fine, I am sure:

Fuchs Titan Race WB Grease - Wheel Bearing Grease

Amsoil Fully Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grade #2 Grease

Amsoil Fully Synthetic Lithium Based Grease

Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks for the links, I will go to the Motor Factor where I got the Calipers and see which ones they have.

Also can you use Molybdenum grease for Wheel bearings and for use as a general grease?

Or does that have a Special application?

Old 06-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by texasscot
OB
My wife had to inform me that my mouth was hanging open this morning as I read this. This was unfortunate. She spotted a missing filling and has vowed to go DIY on me so she can afford a new dress.
I'm going to have to cut down on my saturday brewery consumption and learn to sleep with one eye open lest I wake up with her knees on my chest and the dremel in my mouth.
Seriously it is quite the funniest thing I've ever seen on a car forum. Please tell me it isn't true!
If you wake up with her knees on your chest, I wouldn't be complaining as that sounds like every guys dream!

Sorry to disappoint you but its absolutely True!

The only down side being, that it took me about an hour to do what a dentist can do in 5 minutes.

As I had to take things slowly until I got the hang of what I was doing and the only way to numb the pain, was to think about the money I was saving!

Doing the filling was easy but you do only get 7 minutes before the stuff goes 'Rock Hard'

So needless to say, Don't copy me! and Don't try this at home!

Quick Reply: What Grease Should I use? XJS V12