Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Its TRUE.

There will be more to come, trust me.
Hi Grant

I needed to drink a Case of the Amber Nectar after that!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I use high temp wheel bearing grease on wheel bearings, u-joints, chassis/suspension grease points. I think that's what others here have mentioned.

In the USA all the typical parts outlets stock a variety of different wheel bearing greases but the most common is the red synthetic stuff. There are other colors and some claim to be Ford-spec or GM-spec or Japanese car-spec or whatever. Truth is, I've used all of them interchangeably on wheel bearings on any car with serviceable wheel bearings and never suffered an ill result. Of course, I re-pack bearings on a scheduled basis so my good fortune might have more to do with that than anything else. If my nonchalant grease selection is a mistake then it takes more than 30k miles to find out

Wayyyy back in the old days grease guns were usually loaded with a low grade chassis-lube. That brown-ish stuff that actually seemed a bit stringy. It was OK for chassis fittings but little else, and certainly not u-joints or wheel bearings. I haven't seen any on the shelves in decades.

Some of the older wheel bearing greases were terrible. The grease would get hot, melt, and then simply cake-up when cooled...leaving the bearings dry. Again, this is something I haven't seen in decades.

I'm rambling.....

The only thing I wanted to say, really, is that the XJS doesn't actually require anything exotic. Any name brand 'high temp wheel bearing grease' should be perfectly satisfactory and, quite possibly, is superior to what was being used 20-30 years ago when our cars were rolling down the assembly line.

Just my two cents

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug

No! You are not rambling, this is all very useful to know from your own experiences, so thanks for replying.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
I warned you that you had violated a sacred trust when you did that, OB, so you shouldn't be surprised she's locked you out. In fact, you would do well to take her at her word what she'll do to you if you ever do that again.

I found the music you mentioned, but it's not what I would call Driving Music. In fact, if I had that going at night it would put me to sleep! Driving Music gets the adrenaline pumping and your gas foot going down, and your head bobbing, and your fingers tapping. "Stars" definitely did NOT do that for me.
(';')
Hi Elinor

If I 'dare!' disagree with you, it isn't driving music in the 'foot down' 'head bobbing mode'

'Stars' sung by Collabro, works best in a Top Down Convertible when you are stuck in heavy traffic and proceeding along in your gorgeous XJS.

Where you save the 'Foot Tapping' Stuff for the Open Road, where my favorite track of the moment, is 'Roar' by Katy Perry.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RonaldP
Try the William Tell overture "overture of 1812". You will be pushing the go fast peddle to where the scenery will be a blur.
Hi Ronald

That is not one of my Favorite Tracks, in fact it would probably drive me into 'Self Harming' if I had to listen to that all day long but each to his own.

Livin on a prayer by Bon Jovi, always does it for me!

Old 06-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Thanks folks! I've acquired a rotten head cold. Thee tales cheered me up.

Some years ago, I watched a local dentist tune up a set of dentures. Dremel!!! It is better than the knock off I have. However, I have a ton stuff to use with it.

Early on, when I was a kid and baby teeth were on the verge of being pushed out by the final versions, A string and a door knob finished the job.

I am extremely fortunate. I have all mine, sans one wisdom and one other small one.

Way back when, I worked in a Texaco full service station. We used three basic "greases". Marfak was the brand name. One in a big tub for the air powered grease gun used on u-joints and chassis fittings. Another long fibred grease for hand massage into wheel bearings. And, a hand gun loaded with "water pump grease" for the occasional old car with a fitting on the water pump.

Then, much later, disc brakes came over!! The oil companies jumped in with their versions for them as a high temperature lube.

The oily corner of my bench has some of a lot of that stuff.

Side bar:

My HF hand grease gun develops more PSI's than my HF air boosted grease gun!!

I do have a tray of Zerks. Useful in replacing clogged ones. And, whern I built my roadster, it got all new Zerks.

Carl
Hi Carl

I do hope your Cold gets better soon!

You know what they say about laughter, being the best Medicine, so I'm very glad that in some way, we've helped to cheer you up!

Its always interesting to hear a different spin on various topics such as this, as it would seem that lubricants like grease have come a long way!

Old 06-18-2014, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,242 Likes on 5,428 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Also can you use Molybdenum grease for Wheel bearings and for use as a general grease?
I do not see why not, as long as it has the Extreme Pressure (EP) properties and is high temp grease too.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I do not see why not, as long as it has the Extreme Pressure (EP) properties and is high temp grease too.

Greg
Hi Greg

I also had some Vintage Grease which was Castrol MS3 with Molybendum

Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by texasscot
OB
My wife had to inform me that my mouth was hanging open this morning as I read this. This was unfortunate. She spotted a missing filling and has vowed to go DIY on me so she can afford a new dress.
I'm going to have to cut down on my saturday brewery consumption and learn to sleep with one eye open lest I wake up with her knees on my chest and the dremel in my mouth.
Seriously it is quite the funniest thing I've ever seen on a car forum. Please tell me it isn't true!
Hi If you thought that was funny, have a look at what I did to my poor Aunty! www.jaguarforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/road-hell-paved-good-intentions-117903/

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-18-2014 at 01:25 PM.