XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What If...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:17 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

request from Flint Ironstag, " Any chance of finding the article and scanning it here? Would love to read it. "

Thank you for asking as it got me looking to see where I did see the article about the black XJS that was modified by a German company. Well, I am happy to report I found the article. I had forgotten it was in a book I have:

" JAGUAR XJS Gold Portfolio 1988-1995 ". Hopefully many of you already have this book as it turned out to be a very good read on articles written about the XJS from 1988 to 1995. The article that included this black XJS beast was titled " Four for the Big Boys " from Car and Driver Nov 1988 issue. The XJS highlighted in the article was a Brandenburger Lister Jaguar XJ-S. Everthing about the car I love but the sticker price of $151,000. This is why I said if I were on this Jaguar team I would have focused on just a few mods to keep the car within the $5000.00 upgrade if Jaguar had made this kind of car available as a upgrade. I do not think it would have cost Jaguar much to lower the car 2 inches, tighten up the suspension and put a wide rear tire on the car with flared out rear quarters. Painting the car all black with all black trim and tinting the windows would not have raised the price tag but now we get to the turbos. If we had to keep the price tag within the 5K range as a upgrade we would be looking at probably one turbo or super charger. But with the V12 as the base motor you could equip the car with a small turbo and then have a few options available as upgrades including a twin turbo upgrade that could be put on later. Come to think of it didn't even Shelby usually offer different levels on His Mustang packages?

If you get a chance look up the article and see how sweet this car looks. Something about the XJS coupe lowered with the all black exterior that just says " BAD KITTY ".

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 02:31 AM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Calvin, what's the story on those wheels? We really need an XJS wheel thread stickied.
The wheels are just a 120 x 5 with a 40 mm offset. They fit like a glove in the wheelwell. No rubbing at all.

Flint Ironstag (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts
Default Ha!

Originally Posted by JagZilla
Re-read the first 4, and last paragraphs of my original post on this thread.
How on earth did I get that all muddled up. Taking in too much information!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm sorry guys but I love the look of my stock original XJS... LOL.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I'm sorry guys but I love the look of my stock original XJS... LOL.
We can all agree but you can't tell me the jaguar racing cars are ugly?

Anyways there is nothing more exciting than slinging a car round twisty bends sharp hair pins then flat through a straight.
Now imagine doing that in a jaguar?

Heaven I think.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
How on earth did I get that all muddled up. Taking in too much information!
Probably the same way that I somehow missed that the guy on your quad turbo thread was using 6.0 pistons to lower his CR. LOL

Old 03-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,203 Likes on 5,384 Posts

Originally Posted by pitifulpluto
[...]
Anyways there is nothing more exciting than slinging a car round twisty bends sharp hair pins then flat through a straight.
Now imagine doing that in a jaguar?

Heaven I think.
Gate crashing here as I don't have an XjS.

But I do drive my Xj6 in the above described manner, and I must agree, there is Nothing more fun or exciting! NOTHING!
(';')

Old 03-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

what do you think about this?

Attached Thumbnails What If...-xjsr.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Cool

This is the kind of look I am talking about with all the trim painted instead of chrome. To my eye looks best as dark as possible so hence why I gravitate to black. I do like the look of the bumpers and rocker covers on this car. Looks clean and yet not over done like some packages appear to me like the Konig package. Don't get me wrong I would be happy to have a Konig if it dropped on my lap but I like the cleaner look of a package like this one. I think I prefer the factory mirrors over the ones used on this car. I also like the solid red one shown on previous post with the black trim around the headlamps and grille area.

Attached Thumbnails What If...-img_5699_neu.jpg  
Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

LuvmyXJS - interesting look with body color painted headlight surrounds - except they forgot to extend it to the window trim.

The mirrors look like the 92 (93 in US) to 95 Porsche 928 GTS Aero mirrors.

Have always liked the look of the XJS with a blacked out grill and headlight (quad) surrounds.

Last edited by Flint Ironstag; 03-31-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,203 Likes on 5,384 Posts

Originally Posted by calvindoesntknow
what do you think about this?

If only it was RED!!
(';')

Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 AM

Here is a photo of the black XJ-S that I am thinking about. I have always felt that the older coupe would look best lowered aprox. 2 inches with wider tires. Same way a Mustang of the mid 90's to early 2000's just looks balanced to my eye lowered 2 inches with wider tires then stock. The second photo is a very nice rear spoiler look.

Attached Thumbnails What If...-11299305.jpg   What If...-lis4.jpg  

Last edited by LuvmyXJS'; 04-02-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Flint Ironstag (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 AM

I always felt as though Lister took a page from Chrysler's book regarding that flush rear window. MOPAR did the same thing to the Road Runner and Charger to created the Superbird, and Daytona in 1969 and 1970.
I just don't know why Lister made the wide fenders look so blocky and angular.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,986 Likes on 1,688 Posts

'I just don't know why Lister made the wide fenders look so blocky and angular.'
Because it looks like a right evil barsteward in your mirrors, that's why.
It's much easier to have the car in front crash into a ditch or hedge through fright rather than go to all that hassle of overtaking them.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If I were asked this same question back in the eighties I couldn't have thought of anything eI than perhaps quad pipes larger wheels (most likely a upscaled version of the starfish wheels). Lower the car, not drastically, and maybe a decent scoop or bulge on the hood. Otherwise the xjs already looked perfect to me. Back in time the looks and the V12 was enough to impress.
But now some decades later this setup won't do for others than enthusiasts and purists.
Even now I wouldn't change much rather than making it more up to date.
I'm still happy with the exterior except for the wheels need to be bigger. I already have the 20" wheels but I need to do the suspension first before I decide what size tires will fit without modifying the any fenders or panels.
I already mentioned the exhaust pipes. But instead of quad pipes I'll go for a double in the center of the rear.
I'd rather discard both bumpers but as for I don't want to compromise with the safety of the car we need some. Concerning the bumpers there are two options. One is to make some thin tiny bumpers integrated in the bodywork which is hardly noticed to be there. And the other is omnipresent "here I am" bumpers with integrated front spoiler. I'm planning on the latter (I fear the bumpers of the other cars) a chrome or polished stainless steel bumper much thicker than the originals. Yes indeed high bling factor.
The pre facelift tail lights should never have been replaced so I'm gonna keep them like the euro-style headlights.
A new blacked-out meshgrill with integrated round driving lights. Foglights integrated in the lower corners. I have a couple lying here but not decided yet which one to use but surely it's good be a small round one. That's all for the exterior.
The interior on the other hand needs a total makeover I need to make room for a nice sound system with two 8 inch kick-bass speakers in the front foot wells and 5 or 6 inch component system in the door panels. Two eight inch triaxials in the back. Imo the instrument cluster and tc are hopelessly outdated. So I'm gonna make me some new ones. With round dials and a high resolution 5 or 6 inch multi info screen. Which will double as tc and onboard info and checksystem.
the heater control panel with radio and the panel above it with the tc and 4 big square switch buttons will make room for a 10 inch multimedia infotainment system. Touchscreen of course.
The skislope will be cleaned, no ashtrays no cigar lighter no cruise control switch. Only the window and roof switches together with a couple decent controls (electronic ones to control various functions like aircon, lights etc) in glossy solid wood.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

If you don't like the angularity (angularness?) of the Lister how about the Monaco?
Paul Bailey Engineering as I vaguely recall?

Attached Thumbnails What If...-monaco.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's ideas. Personally, if it were required to be a weekend racer, I would take inspiration from homologation specials.
Things that would save $$ or not add much cost:
Thinner glass all around, and the thinnest steel that I could get away with for the non structural bodywork. GRP hood (with NACA ducts to feed each bank because it is the 80's) and GRP trunk lid. Less (but still some) sound deadening. Lightweight parcel shelf replacing the rear seat, only 2 stereo speakers instead of 4, a fixed antenna, and a lighter duty climate control system that can be switched off (borrowed from a smaller car's parts bin).
Costly items:
16" or 17" wheels with fat tires in the stock fenders (however wide they fit them on the TWR race cars). Stiffer shocks and springs. Lightweight aluminum bumpers that look stock, and an air dam incorporating brake ducts below it. Relocate exhaust to exit at the front fenders with a single muffler in each front fender hollow.

...also still on the fence about riveted body seams (per Miura SVJ or Grifo A3C)

Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe you are chasing something that you can't see?
Maybe you are starting from the wrong base?
It seems to me that you are trying to turn something that exists into something that it was never meant to be?
How about pressing CTRL-ALT-DLT, turn around 3 times and look in the mirror?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Steve M
If you don't like the angularity (angularness?) of the Lister how about the Monaco?
Paul Bailey Engineering as I vaguely recall?
Never cared for the Monaco.
It doesn't look like an XJS.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Looked at that one 2 years ago, very sad on 3 flat tyres but the proportions were excellent; I think it was even wider at the back than the Lister but a bit more curvacious so it didn't have that aggressive look that the Lister had.
If you turned up for the Monaco Grand Prix in the Lister everyone would have gone '********'.
If you turned up in the Monaco everyone would have gone 'Nice car'.
Horses for courses I suppose: Do you like jam? Why?