XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What makes the XJS so special to you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

"at the end of the day, it's the Jags that really do it for me"

Bingo Doug!

There are a few Ferraris I like (330 GTC), I like the 280SL through the 560SL Mercs, RR Silver Shadow and especially Corniche convertible, mid 60s Ford Thunderbird convertibles, '70s vintage Cadillac Eldorado convertible. However, I could only be tempted to give up my XJS convertible for a RR Corniche convertible...

Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a BMW L6 (the deluxe version of the 635csi) for several years, which is a car that was often compared to the XJS back in the 1980s (often alongside the Mercedes SL). To me, the Jag is way more fun to drive that the BMW. The BMW was nice, tight, and low, but the Jag is pure fun. Of course, having a convertible does make a difference, so it isn't exactly a fair comparison. The Jag feels much smoother and comfy than the BMW did. And much lower to the ground, so you really feel like you are moving.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Special XJS

If you had only one toy car (beside your daily driver) the answer would be that it is pecial becaus ___ compared to all the other cars that I was comparing it to.

I am fortunate enough to have a 1984 533i, 88 635csi, 95XJS conv and a 02 XJR 100. they are all different in personality and ride. I can howvere say that the XJS has the most comfortable ride and the 635 the most sporting. The 635 is lowered and also has a skirt package. I get the most thumbs up while in the 635 and second in the Jag. The XJR is a gentlemans express and I get no reaction. I suspect that the XJS is special to me because of the quality of the ride and the interior appointments. The converible makes this extra special on nice days. In all the cars it feels special that I wil not be driving next to another XJS, 635, or 533i while on the freeway. Thee seems to be quite a few XJRs here in Toronto.

my 2c

Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 566 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
Not to add to thread drift, but I have always had a soft spot for the W108/W109 cars...
Talk about appreciating values...

Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
Not to add to thread drift, but I have always had a soft spot for the W108/W109 cars. Growing up my next door neighbour had a 71 300SEL with the mighty 6.3L The thing was a tank and went like a rocket!
You want one? I have two Seems like many of us have have similar tastes in cars. Along with the Jaguars, I'm familiar with a few other cars from the same era from Mercedes Benz, BMW, Jensen and Porsche. I love the Jaguar for the smooth V12 and the cabin. The BMW is a blast to drive and the Mercedes are built like tanks. You can see how they competed for buyers, but they're all quite different.

Last edited by alabbasi; 12-13-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

I was working as a go-for at a country club in 1986. Somewhat exciting seeing all the rich folks playing golf, gambling, drinking too much, and so on. One night they were having some special event, and I was sitting outside taking a break watching all the participants arrive. I'd never really cared much about cars, other than what I had to do to keep my 1972 Chevy Nova running...and was more interested in looking at the ladies than anything else.

Next thing I know, some guy and his lady pull up in an XJS. I just can't tell you how much I was STUNNED by the look of that car!!! I remember thinking that THAT was the sexiest thing I had ever seen. The curves, the lines of that car just captivated me. Of course back then it was a $50,000 or so car, and I was working for peanuts, so I quickly put out of my head any thought of owning one.

Fast forward 25 years. Now a responsible adult, still never having developed anything resembling a remote interest in cars, I move to a new neighborhood. Every day on my way to work I pass a small business that trades in nothing but Jaguars. For a long time I hardly noticed simply because it was all cars I didn't particularly care about. VP's, XJ whatevers...until one day it shows up. A 1987 XJ-S V12. I look at it every day, scared to even inquire because of what I think it would cost (I had no idea how much value the DIDN'T hold).

So one day I figure..."go ahead, break your heart and get it over with..." and I call. Huh..."$4,500", that all???

So now it sits in my garage...and I couldn't be happier.

Cheers,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles

The following 2 users liked this post by J_C_R:
Forcedair1 (03-28-2014), TinRoofRusted (12-13-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 990 Likes on 674 Posts

This thread is not helping me deal with my "Lacking an XJS" feeling...

My perfect duo would include my XJ12 and a 94 to 96 XJS. Coupe or convertible, six or twelve, I'm not picky... At least I'm halfway there!

My trio, while abundant, is quite a lot to look after. A duo, doable.

Anyone here want a couple of X300s for an XJS??? I didn't think so. Lol.

The XJS still calls to me like an eagle to it's young.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,861 Likes on 7,146 Posts

Richard, I often hear that calling as well.

Having already owned a pre-facelift V12 I think I'd seek out a facelift coupe, 4.0 5-speed. That's my dream XJS....at least at the moment

Cheers
DD

Old 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 566 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

Having already owned a pre-facelift V12 I think I'd seek out a facelift coupe, 4.0 5-speed. That's my dream XJS....at least at the moment

Cheers
DD
The province of Ontario is a good place to look for those.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I replied to an add in our local rag about a 12 ft fly fishing boat. On arrival the young lady said it was in the garage so i went to look at it. I asked her what was under the car cover? She replied ''it was my mothers car and she passed away four years ago''. i asked if she minded if i looked under the cover and low and behold when i lifted the back cover and saw XJSV12 i almost fainted. It hadn't moved since she died. It was a Glacier White Cabrio. I sailed away, not in a fly boat but the xjs and I just love it.

The following users liked this post:
TinRoofRusted (12-14-2013)
Old 03-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JagZilla
When I semi-.finish the final details on my motor (hopefully the weather will break long enough this weekend so I can finish that up), I'll be more than happy to "pop bonnets" with the E-Types. Then I'll line it up against them on any road they wish to race on
Attachment 65352

Nice Detail work! I'm amazed at how much SS & chrome is under the hoods on the XJ-S and they never seem to get much respect!

Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Prestige Autowerke
I love the elegant GT lines of the XJS plus, plus there is a certain aura associated with fine V12 automobiles for me. I'm looking to add one to my stable soon!
We all have our opinions and I side with this guy! People stop at my driveway and walk up to look at my XJS coupe, never heard a bad word about it, usually they say"Nice"!
Best looking Jag ever IMHO

Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine was my dad's. I distinctly remember being shoe horned into the back with my older brother and younger sister until we all just about pre-teen. You quickly learn to love the smell of Connolly leather and petrol when you have spent your adolescence wedged into the back of an XJS.

A couple of hundred hours later, a million small stinging cuts, a few grand and ALOT of swearing she is back on the road and mine I love it to pieces - literally!

Old 03-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

And why do I like Morris?

For starters, he's a pain in the rear. Nothing is usually simple, and sometimes the things you'd think are going to be horrible things to change or fix end up being cheap and not taking much time. The car feels like it was designed by human beings, built by human beings, and tested by human beings. It has the design flaws to show it, and at the same time, it is this very aspect of what makes it more than a car. To me, having an XJS is an experience.

Morris has had two previous owners. I (stupidly) threw away the papers outlining its history, and I regret my mistake as I was cleaning out papers and didn't realize it until after trash day. But to the point, this isn't a vehicle that I plan on using and junking one day. I see myself as a member of a hopefully a long string of owners who have partaken in having experienced this XJS, from those that built it, to the first owner, to the second owner that, for health reasons, had to part with it.

I can tell the previous two owners never worked on poor Morris. My guess is that the first owner bought the car in 1989 as a fast toy and sold it when they tired of it. The second owner bought it in 1991 and drove it until 2008, when he could no longer drive it but was too emotionally attached to it. It sat for FIVE years, a reminder to the owner of younger and more care-free years. I bought it in 2013, and am bringing it back to life, sort of like resurrecting a historical beast to former glory.

My father has never ridden in a V-12. He's never experienced a Jaguar, always going for "practical". I want him to experience Morris before time catches up to both of us. I know he will complain, that's a given, though I also know he'll love it deep down.

Having said all this, let's be honest about why we love our XJSs: IT'S A SEXY BEAST!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I was driving down the freeway yesterday and saw a XJS coupe going the opposite way. I was able to get a good look at the XJS in my side mirror. The car looked like it sat 2 to 3 foot high off the ground. God I love seeing these cars being driven. They just look so sleek and sexy. So I have added a few new words to describe how the XJS looks from a distance:

" LOW-WIDE-SLEEK AND SEXY "

Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I was driving down the freeway yesterday and saw a XJS coupe going the opposite way. I was able to get a good look at the XJS in my side mirror. The car looked like it sat 2 to 3 foot high off the ground. God I love seeing these cars being driven. They just look so sleek and sexy. So I have added a few new words to describe how the XJS looks from a distance:

===AMEN===

(add "COOL"?)

Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing that makes the XJs so special. The amazing line of the midsection. It's really unique. Very long and sleek. To me there is no other car that equals it.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'

I feel the same way about them! Sexy is the keyword! Thanks to everyone for their nice comments!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Where to begin?

First, let me say that having been a foreign auto enthusiast all of my driving life (I'm a 50 something Broadcast Engineer currently working/living in Florida) and having owned and driven darn near everything from a Bugatti to a Bently, owned everything remotely affordable (and some not so much) Ferraris, Alfas, Benz, BMW (88 635 still brings a smile) I have yet to experience the feeling of "HOW COOL IS THIS?" every time we take our 95 XJS 'vert out for a stretch.
It never fails to turn a head or two, drives like a smooth silent luxury car (with a BIG pair of cojones) and has yet to let me down. After sorting out all the funky rubber bits and bumps, this car rides today, 19 years from its creation, better than some if not most cars available today. I don't care what anyone says, there's NOTHIN wrong with a used JAG. These are the most underrated cars available today. With a little common mechanical experience and some patience,you can turn one of these gems into something to be proud of.

"The only way your gonna get my XJS is if you pry it from my cold dead hands"

There, Ive said it. And I'm GLAD!
I wouldn't turn my nose up at a new F-TYPE tho!!!

Attached Thumbnails What makes the XJS so special to you?-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Agent 00714; 03-30-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Where to begin?

First, let me say that having been a foreign auto enthusiast all of my driving life (I'm a 50 something Broadcast Engineer currently working/living in Florida) and having owned and driven darn near everything from a Bugatti to a Bently, owned everything remotely affordable (and some not so much) Ferraris, Alfas, Benz, BMW (88 635 still brings a smile) I have yet to experience the feeling of "HOW COOL IS THIS?" every time we take our 95 XJS 'vert out for a stretch.
It never fails to turn a head or two, drives like a smooth silent luxury car (with a BIG pair of cojones) and has yet to let me down. After sorting out all the funky rubber bits and bumps, this car rides today, 19 years from its creation, better than some if not most cars available today. I don't care what anyone says, there's NOTHIN wrong with a used JAG. These are the most underrated cars available today. With a little common mechanical experience and some patience,you can turn one of these gems into something to be proud of.

"The only way your gonna get my XJS is if you pry it from my cold dead hands"

There, Ive said it. And I'm GLAD!
I wouldn't turn my nose up at a new F-TYPE tho!!!

Attached Thumbnails What makes the XJS so special to you?-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Agent 00714; 03-30-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quick Reply: What makes the XJS so special to you?