XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,860 Likes on 2,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid. Believe me, the mixture works, shake well before applying. Basically Plums' advice is 100%, and what I am trying to get at. Single hex socket very good advice.

Nutsplitters work, but I am not sure you will get one in there. Danger of bending/breaking stud if all not absolutely square and the nut splitter itself not counter- torqued (think levering the stud as you tighten the splitter).

If the dremel will get in there, then do that, easily the safest way. A vertical cut down the nut will be ideal.

Greg
Surprising that mixture is not on sale in spray cans like WD40.

I've got some ATF so I'll give it a go and may even take the dremel to it as well, its only 4 nuts so how hard can it be!

Its got to be a lot easier than trying to bleed the brakes, which are just a couple of bubbles away from success!

Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
And finally ...

why not just have a proper bodge done?

Remove the patch, save the flange and have some piping welded in using the salvaged flange.

If you take the dremel option, don't cut all the way through ... just most of the way and then finish with the socket .. six point of course. The dremel slit will relieve the pressure on the threads.
That's not a bad idea Plums!

I don't know why the hell they didn't do that in the first place and at least that would almost certainly get me through the Summer!

Until I get my Hydraulic ramp back.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member

related favourite saying:

"the difference between an amateur and a professional is the professional knows exactly how hard to hit it without breaking it"

another favourite technique ...

while applying torque with the breaker bar, strike the union of the breaker bar axially in line with the extension/socket with a hammer to vibrate the threaded joint
Thank you Plums

I will remember that! another one for the knowledge bank!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
As you will see from the Photo, the previous owner of my Car had a repair done on the Exhaust which looks a total 'Bodge Up!'

Ideally I would like to fit a new down pipe but it looks like a pig of a job that will take a long time, as I'm pretty sure the nuts will be rusted solid and so I am going to leave that till after the Summer.

It looks as though this join is now about to fall to pieces, so could anyone advise me of the best way to repair it, as I would like to do this myself.

Updated: with more photos

http://

The GF's Father (or Mr Mig as I call him), a Professional Welder with many years experience in the Trade.

Has been over to look and literally scoffed at the supposed complexity of doing such a repair, which he said would be a walk in the Park.

So when I'm up and running, then I will take it over to where the Magic happens.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Default Nearly ready for a Test drive after doing the Brakes!

With the Calipers back on, the Right Way Up This time!, Thanks to XjsV12

I've bled the brakes (which seemed to take forever!) and am ready to go for a test drive round the garden, just as soon as I've finished this cup of Tea!

Although I don't want to speak too soon, the Pedal seems pretty solid, so I'll see how She goes before taking her on lots of more short Test Drives down the road.

In the Photos: Note the dust covers, which have been sprinkled with 'Yardley's Sandalwood' Talk, as used by the GF to prevent sticking!

All I can say is it works on her as well as it does on the wheels!

Attached Thumbnails What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?-hubs2_zps1883471f.jpg   What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?-hubs1_zps03e5b5a6.jpg   What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?-hubs_zpsc7d37547.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,450 Likes on 5,530 Posts

Surprising that mixture is not on sale in spray cans like WD40.

I've got some ATF so I'll give it a go and may even take the dremel to it as well, its only 4 nuts so how hard can it be!
Do not forget it must be 50% mix with acetone (GF's mail varnish remover in play?)

Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

$1 says that Mr. Mig puts in a stub of pipe and uses salvaged flange

orangeblossom (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Do not forget it must be 50% mix with acetone (GF's mail varnish remover in play?)

Greg
Hi Greg

That is Brilliant I never thought of that!

The GF's in the business and has shed loads of the stuff!

But the Test Drive on the other hand was not incident free! So I am going to need your Expert Advice!

I really don't know where to Start with this, so I better kick off with the Incident of the 'Trevis Fountain' under the bonnet!

Not knowing how the brakes would perform or not as the case may be, I decided to start the Test Drive by staying close to home, so in the event anything went wrong, I wouldn't have far to get back.

So after driving round the block half a dozen times, I stopped to check the wheels were not getting hot, as after almost setting fire to the car the last time out, when the Caliper seized.

I'm understandably paranoid and live in fear that it might just happen again! and in a way you could say that it almost did!

As I got one hell of a shock, when I lifted the bonnet to check on the brake fluid in the reservoir!

As a Fountain of Brake Fluid was jetting out of the breather hole in the Cap of the reservoir just like the 'Manneken Pis!' to the height of about 9ins! and then dripping down onto the hot Exhaust!

There was Brake Fluid everywhere as well as White Smoke pouring out of every orifice, having been there before I tried to keep cool and not panic but I cannot tell a lie, I was 'Bricking it!'

I was expecting a Fireball but this time I was ready, with some fire extinguishers that I had taken out of the boot but decided it would be a mistake to get too 'Trigger Happy' at this stage in the game.

As it might have done a bit more harm than good! so while waiting for the Explosion, I managed to Salvage a 'Mars Bar' together with my mobile phone and ipod.

As far as miracles are concerned, this was up there with the best of them, as none of the fluid went over the paint and the XJS didn't explode!, so I just let her cool right down, then carefully drove home.

Back at base I hosed down the engine compartment and having done a post mortem, saw what I had done wrong! which had been to fill the reservoir right up to the top, as I had done when I was bleeding the brakes.

So having siphoned off an excess of 350ml of Brake Fluid, using the Icing gadget which the GF uses to ice her cup cakes.

I then got myself psyched up for Test Drive number 2, as even after all of that the Brakes were working well, with only just a hint of sponginess!

So I increased the distance to about a mile from home, with a bit more speed and heavy braking, to try and bed in the new Calipers and Brake Pads.

Everything was looking good until I took a Corner! where there was a screaming sound from the passenger side, which was not the GF as I had left her at home, with instructions to come and rescue me in her MX5.

I wasn't going all that fast and so although it freaked me out, I am thinking it was the Wheel bearing, in the passenger wheel where it got red hot the last time but don't know for sure.

My mistake again! as I had forgotten to repack the hub with high temperature grease.

So in order to eliminate that, as being the cause of the problem, please could you tell me how to go about it.

I cannot see a grease nipple on the outside of the hub, so what should I do?

Can I repack it by taking off the hub cap?

If I have to take off that brake pipe, I think I'll top myself! As bleeding those brakes is something that I never ever want to do again!

The other thing was, after driving around with lots of braking thrown in, suddenly out of nowhere the Brake Pedal went 'Rock Hard' to such an extent that I started to think that it wasn't supposed to do that!

Although maybe it was?

(have you known that to happen on one of your cars?)

Every trace of sponginess seemed to disappear while the Rotors showed no signs of binding and the Wheels were just luke warm.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

$1 says that Mr. Mig puts in a stub of pipe and uses salvaged flange
This Guy is really out there, when it comes to making stuff and recons he can fabricate a Stainless Steel Exhaust!

So if the GF ever left me, I would miss him!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,472 Likes on 5,471 Posts

[...]

But the Test Drive on the other hand was not incident free! So I am going to need your Expert Advice!

I really don't know where to Start with this, so I better kick off with the Incident of the 'Trevis Fountain' under the bonnet!

Not knowing how the brakes would perform or not as the case may be, I decided to start the Test Drive by staying close to home, so in the event anything went wrong, I wouldn't have far to get back.

So after driving round the block half a dozen times, I stopped to check the wheels were not getting hot, as after almost setting fire to the car the last time out, when the Caliper seized.

I'm understandably paranoid and live in fear that it might just happen again! and in a way you could say that it almost did!

As I got one hell of a shock, when I lifted the bonnet to check on the brake fluid in the reservoir!

As a Fountain of Brake Fluid was jetting out of the breather hole in the Cap of the reservoir just like the 'Manneken Pis!' to the height of about 9ins! and then dripping down onto the hot Exhaust!

There was Brake Fluid everywhere as well as White Smoke pouring out of every orifice, having been there before I tried to keep cool and not panic but I cannot tell a lie, I was 'Bricking it!'

I was expecting a Fireball but this time I was ready, with some fire extinguishers that I had taken out of the boot but decided it would be a mistake to get too 'Trigger Happy' at this stage in the game.

As it might have done a bit more harm than good! so while waiting for the Explosion, I managed to Salvage a 'Mars Bar' together with my mobile phone and ipod.

As far as miracles are concerned, this was up there with the best of them, as none of the fluid went over the paint and the XJS didn't explode!, so I just let her cool right down, then carefully drove home.

Back at base I hosed down the engine compartment and having done a post mortem, saw what I had done wrong! which had been to fill the reservoir right up to the top, as I had done when I was bleeding the brakes.

So having siphoned off an excess of 350ml of Brake Fluid, using the Icing gadget which the GF uses to ice her cup cakes.

I then got myself psyched up for Test Drive number 2, as even after all of that the Brakes were working well, with only just a hint of sponginess!

So I increased the distance to about a mile from home, with a bit more speed and heavy braking, to try and bed in the new Calipers and Brake Pads.

Everything was looking good until I took a Corner! where there was a screaming sound from the passenger side, which was not the GF as I had left her at home, with instructions to come and rescue me in her MX5.

I wasn't going all that fast and so although it freaked me out, I am thinking it was the Wheel bearing, in the passenger wheel where it got red hot the last time but don't know for sure.

My mistake again! as I had forgotten to repack the hub with high temperature grease.

So in order to eliminate that, as being the cause of the problem, please could you tell me how to go about it.

I cannot see a grease nipple on the outside of the hub, so what should I do?

Can I repack it by taking off the hub cap?

If I have to take off that brake pipe, I think I'll top myself! As bleeding those brakes is something that I never ever want to do again!

The other thing was, after driving around with lots of braking thrown in, suddenly out of nowhere the Brake Pedal went 'Rock Hard' to such an extent that I started to think that it wasn't supposed to do that!

Although maybe it was?

(have you known that to happen on one of your cars?)

Every trace of sponginess seemed to disappear while the Rotors showed no signs of binding and the Wheels were just luke warm.

OB, <searching for the words> it's difficult for me to believe, that you had the front hub off, and neglected to repack the wheel bearings!!

I can understand overfilling the brake fluid, inertia/habit of action and such, but unless you have had the front hubs off within the past couple months, *ALWAYS* repack the bearings before reassembly. It's just good insurance.

XJS may be built different from any other car I've ever known, including my Xj6, but I have Never seen a grease zirk in a front wheel bearing cap.

You know what that means, don't you. In order to get to the bearings you have to remove the whole entire hub and all that entails. Fortunately, you don't have to fool with your calipers.

There are 5 bolts holding the hub to the disc. Remove them. When you take off the bearing cup the castellated bearing retainer nut is behind it. Remove the cotter pin (split pin) and unscrew the nut and washer. The hub will pull off easily if you haven't welded the whole thing together by running it dry. At this point you Must inspect the spindle closely. If you had screaming bearings like you describe, chances are Very good you have a scarred spindle (stub axle) and need a new one. There must be no pits or galls on the spindle and it must not be discolored.

The bearings should nearly fall out in your hand. Clean them well and inspect for all the usual suspects and deficiencies. If you have any doubts replace them. If there is any discoloration, replace them. Same with the spindle. If it's discolored, (yellow or blue) replace it. Discoloration means it got Really hot and the hard surface/temper is probably compromised.

Pack the bearings with High Temp Wheel Bearing Grease and don't be stingy about it. You might put grease in the hub too. Ya just about can't have too much wheel bearing grease! (Of course you don't want so much it squishes out and gets your rotors greasy.) To do that you put a blob of grease in the palm of one hand and work it thoroughly into all the rollers/***** and cages until the bearings are Full of grease. It's a messy job but the best way to get grease in everything. There should be no voids (bubbles) in the bearings.

I don't know the tightening specs for XJS, but for Xj6 it's .002-.006 inch end play. That is, the hub moves that much in and out on the spindle. You can use a feeler gauge to check between the nut and washer.

When you have bearing play properly adjusted, turn (tighten) the castellated nut to the next slot, put the cotter pin back, bending it exactly the way you found it. (You may need to get a new one) Be sure to put the cup back in place (I don't want to say why I mention that), put back the bolts that hold the hub to the rotor.

Now you can put your tire back on, and hopefully you're All done. -- Until next time.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 06-06-2014 at 10:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
o1xjr (06-07-2014), orangeblossom (06-07-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow!
I sincerely hope you are keeping a sense of humor about this whole thing, because, I for one, have been seriously entertained.
Starting with the Lady With The Circus Tent, Clowns Loading Your Car, Midnight Hedge Trimming (fast forward a bit), Plucky Girlfriend and Mr. Mig, this is a real Russian Novel! Oh yeah, lest we forget, help from the genius Russian (xjsv12).
Absolutely no offense is intended and I wish you all the best with your car, but I have had some good laughs while following this.
Keep us posted.

Bill

orangeblossom (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

I should have guessed it would be that! A bit like Gregs 'Watchmaker' method which translates to a 'Blinking great hammer!'
We refer to that as an "FBH" in Aus/NZ,should be in all good tool boxes next to the Duct tape.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member

OB
See next post, messed this one up!

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 06-07-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member

OB
Everything LnR said! The only exception I would make is that the disc nuts can be hard to get to and hard to undo, particularly as you have refitted the dust shields (that I personally dump).

In your case I think it would be MUCH easier to undo the caliper bolts (easy for you as they are new) and carefully keep the shims in order each side, lift off the caliper still attached to the flexible and tie it up with some string to the shocker top so it does not need rebleeding.

Then you can pull off the entire hub and disc as a unit, easily. Then as LnR said, check the stub axle, which may anyway be a bit worn on the weight bearing surface, so only if it is seriously knackered does it need to be changed right now. Consult and post a pic if you are worried.

Then, install the new bearings you have just purchased (laughs like drain). And pack with Castrol BNS grease (works on rally cars, great stuff). Pack the bearing races themselves first and then the hub. Reinstall and tighten the hub nut to tightish then back a flat or so. Install special thingy over the castellated nut and then the split pin.

Whack on the calipers and drive the sod! I have got to say your posts are quite the most entertaining I have ever read; love it, and I think you are a great addition to the forum, and to boot, a proper chap who can take a joke, even if self inflicted.

Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
LnrB (06-07-2014), orangeblossom (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
OB, <searching for the words> it's difficult for me to believe, that you had the front hub off, and neglected to repack the wheel bearings!!

I can understand overfilling the brake fluid, inertia/habit of action and such, but unless you have had the front hubs off within the past couple months, *ALWAYS* repack the bearings before reassembly. It's just good insurance.

XJS may be built different from any other car I've ever known, including my Xj6, but I have Never seen a grease zirk in a front wheel bearing cap.

You know what that means, don't you. In order to get to the bearings you have to remove the whole entire hub and all that entails. Fortunately, you don't have to fool with your calipers.

There are 5 bolts holding the hub to the disc. Remove them. When you take off the bearing cup the castellated bearing retainer nut is behind it. Remove the cotter pin (split pin) and unscrew the nut and washer. The hub will pull off easily if you haven't welded the whole thing together by running it dry. At this point you Must inspect the spindle closely. If you had screaming bearings like you describe, chances are Very good you have a scarred spindle (stub axle) and need a new one. There must be no pits or galls on the spindle and it must not be discolored.

The bearings should nearly fall out in your hand. Clean them well and inspect for all the usual suspects and deficiencies. If you have any doubts replace them. If there is any discoloration, replace them. Same with the spindle. If it's discolored, (yellow or blue) replace it. Discoloration means it got Really hot and the hard surface/temper is probably compromised.

Pack the bearings with High Temp Wheel Bearing Grease and don't be stingy about it. You might put grease in the hub too. Ya just about can't have too much wheel bearing grease! (Of course you don't want so much it squishes out and gets your rotors greasy.) To do that you put a blob of grease in the palm of one hand and work it thoroughly into all the rollers/***** and cages until the bearings are Full of grease. It's a messy job but the best way to get grease in everything. There should be no voids (bubbles) in the bearings.

I don't know the tightening specs for XJS, but for Xj6 it's .002-.006 inch end play. That is, the hub moves that much in and out on the spindle. You can use a feeler gauge to check between the nut and washer.

When you have bearing play properly adjusted, turn (tighten) the castellated nut to the next slot, put the cotter pin back, bending it exactly the way you found it. (You may need to get a new one) Be sure to put the cup back in place (I don't want to say why I mention that), put back the bolts that hold the hub to the rotor.

Now you can put your tire back on, and hopefully you're All done. -- Until next time.
(';')
I'll say this for you Elinor, You really know how to cheer a person up! so it looks as if that's another fine mess that I have got myself into!

Although I never took the hub off, as I gave it a spin and it seemed to be Ok and wasn't making any funny noises.

With the benefit of hind site though, I should have taken it off when I had the chance, before I fitted new Calipers and Brake Pads.

Fitting the new Brake Pipes was horrendous! as was trying to bleed the air out afterwards, where you end up chasing bubbles round and round the car, even though I did so in the right order. (something I got right for a change)

Even so the Sponginess never really went away although I managed to get the Pedal to 95% which in someways seemed normal.

So I progressively started to open her up on the straight and then when their was no traffic around, put the brakes through their paces!

When suddenly and without warning! The Pedal went 'Rock Hard!' with no signs of play whatsoever!

At this point I was thinking, that something might be wrong, so I pulled into a lay-by and got out to check the Temperature of the Wheels.

They were only just warm as per normal, with no signs of binding on the Rotors, as when you put her in drive, She just crept away with out the need to even touch the loud pedal.

That's the one big thing that I love about Auto's the ability to creep along in a traffic jam, totally chilled out and stress free, while all the other Dudes are fighting the gearbox.

It was the perfect Top down day for a road test and everything was looking good from 'the get go!' (I'm almost fluent in Americanese!)

I got a real buzz when reversing out of my driveway, which I did several times last night, to try and make checks on everything I could think off,

The Car is so long it seems to take forever to back out and every time the traffic stopped so they could let me out, which doesn't normally happen in the Merc!

Maybe they were being Polite but my Conspiracy Theory is they wanted a good look, as many of them were waving or giving the 'Thumbs Up!'

My UK Dream Car was a Classic Merc 500 SL But what on earth was I thinking!

As apart from the fact that the XJS seems to have a habit of breaking down every five minutes, I wouldn't want to swop her for any other car, in the love hate relationship, that we seem to be having.

A lot of which is my fault rather than hers! but I'm sort of really learning, how to take these problems in my stride.

'Yup!' I know how to fix this and I know how to fix that! Thanks to 'Greg' and others, including your 'good self'

When you own an XJS you either need pots of money or the 'will' to get stuck in and fix it yourself.

Having Two 3 Ton 'Trolly Jacks' is almost mandatory, as of course are the Tools to do the Job and a couple of 'Fire Extinguishers!'

But going round that Corner, really freaked me out, as it leads on to a 'Round About' that goes into Two lanes, where the inside one takes traffic from another road.

I like to be on the inside lane as I'm not a 'Speed Freak' and like to get out of the way so others can pass.

But the only thing they want to do is try and 'Under Take You' on the inside lane, rather than allow you to pull over, when all I want to do is get out of there way!

So when this happened last night, I put the pedal down, at which point I heard screaming from the front passenger wheel, which was the one that got red hot, when I had the Caliper problem.

My first though was 'Wheel Bearing' although there is a 'possible chance' that I was involuntarily 'spinning the wheels' where instead I may have been hearing the Sound of Burning Rubber, which I try and avoid.

The one thing I don't want to do is take that brake pipe off, as bleeding those brakes all over again is the kind of 'Nightmare' that I want to avoid!

LnrB (06-10-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill C
Wow!
I sincerely hope you are keeping a sense of humor about this whole thing, because, I for one, have been seriously entertained.
Starting with the Lady With The Circus Tent, Clowns Loading Your Car, Midnight Hedge Trimming (fast forward a bit), Plucky Girlfriend and Mr. Mig, this is a real Russian Novel! Oh yeah, lest we forget, help from the genius Russian (xjsv12).
Absolutely no offense is intended and I wish you all the best with your car, but I have had some good laughs while following this.
Keep us posted.

Bill
Hi Bill

Say whatever you want, I don't get offended, as good or bad I love a bit of 'banter!' The only problem being that these incidents are True!

I never get these problems, with my 'Boring Merc' which just seems to keep on Trucking no matter what!

I really love the GF but for all the wrong reasons, as She is quite high maintenance, while I am very low rent and easy to please, so we tend to make a very odd couple whenever we go out.

And there is nothing I love better that to 'wind her up' We went out for a 'Buffet' Lunch (Buy one get one Free! That's me!) and because She's a bit of a 'Looker' in her eyes anyway!

She always gets talking to people and got in conversation with this Woman, who asked me 'How long we'd known each other?' so I just said 'well let me put it this way' 'Its the last time I'll be using that Escort Agency!'

Obviously I got a little bit of a 'Slap' for that one but I keep her intrigued as She just can't figure me out! so perhaps we ought to have a relationship section? Just ask me those Marriage Guidance Questions!

Just don't expect to get any sensible answers but then again maybe not I don't get time!

The XJS is a PIA at the moment but in the main I really blame myself, as I'm on the kind of learning curve that makes the 'Big Dipper' at Blackpool look like a fairground ride.

And Yes! I am taking it all in my Stride and maintaining a good sense of humor along with my Car and although you might think this is a bit Weird, I'm in the process of building a 'Shrine to Xjs V12'

As without that eagle eyed Russian (is he really Russian?) I would still be trying to bleed the brakes to this very day, after putting the Calipers on Upside down! and to think I was only 50% away from getting that right!

I'm glad that all my problems are keeping you amused, as then at least one of us gets something out of it!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

OB
Everything LnR said! The only exception I would make is that the disc nuts can be hard to get to and hard to undo, particularly as you have refitted the dust shields (that I personally dump).

In your case I think it would be MUCH easier to undo the caliper bolts (easy for you as they are new) and carefully keep the shims in order each side, lift off the caliper still attached to the flexible and tie it up with some string to the shocker top so it does not need rebleeding.

Then you can pull off the entire hub and disc as a unit, easily. Then as LnR said, check the stub axle, which may anyway be a bit worn on the weight bearing surface, so only if it is seriously knackered does it need to be changed right now. Consult and post a pic if you are worried.

Then, install the new bearings you have just purchased (laughs like drain). And pack with Castrol BNS grease (works on rally cars, great stuff). Pack the bearing races themselves first and then the hub. Reinstall and tighten the hub nut to tightish then back a flat or so. Install special thingy over the castellated nut and then the split pin.

Whack on the calipers and drive the sod! I have got to say your posts are quite the most entertaining I have ever read; love it, and I think you are a great addition to the forum, and to boot, a proper chap who can take a joke, even if self inflicted.

Greg
Tell me about it Greg!

What on earth would I do without Guys like yourself and others, who keep digging me out of the holes that I keep getting into.

I know I should buy a Workshop Manual!

But I do get so easily bored, except that's pretty difficult when you own an XJS or maybe XJS's in our case! which if truth be known are more addictive than eating the bars of Chocolate I buy to try and keep the GF Sweet!

Thank God, That I don't have to remove that Brake Pipe, as I think that would have pushed me right over the edge!

Trying to Bleed the brakes on that Car was like something out of a Science Fiction Movie but I only wish you could have seen that Fountain of Brake 'Persisting' out of the Breather Cap like a Water Pistol!

Trust me when I tell you I was Shocked!

Then when it dripped onto the Exhaust it very nearly turned into a Fireball! but since that didn't happen, the 'Cat' has got 'Seven Lives Left!' and I still don't know if those Fire Extinguishers Work!

Which I recently got from a Car Boot Sale! (So maybe probably not!)

But in the event I got home in one piece, so I guess you could call that a landing.

At least until the next time that I dare to venture out!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts
Default Right on ,extinguishers.

Having Two 3 Ton 'Trolly Jacks' is almost mandatory, as of course are the Tools to do the Job and a couple of 'Fire Extinguishers!'
You never know when you'll need one.

What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?-dsc_8828.jpg

What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?-dsc_8944.jpg

What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?-dsc_9271.jpg

What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?-dsc_9314.jpg

Old 06-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Received 6,363 Likes on 5,536 Posts

and I still don't know if those Fire Extinguishers Work!

Which I recently got from a Car Boot Sale! (So maybe probably not!)
really? How long are those lives going to last?

Old 06-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,472 Likes on 5,471 Posts

[...]

When you own an XJS you either need pots of money or the 'will' to get stuck in and fix it yourself.

[...]
That goes for ANY Jaguar, OB, and there is no middle ground!

During my short ownership of the species, I've learned they are the Quintessential Archetype of automotive DIY.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 06-07-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?