XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

O.B.
Remove the shims, tighten the belt, then "man" up.
Give the GF back her nail polish remover, do your best wet kitten imitation, and get her dad to fix the exhaust!
There is more ahead, get this behind you. LOL
You are definitely a "spunk" to this forum!
Keep your head up, "till the GF finds her remover gone, then beg like a dog!", and move forward!
We are with you!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,839 Likes on 2,656 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB
Having seen the pics, I would be amazed if the squealing was not the brake pads being held in permanent partial contact with the discs and vibrating accordingly. If so, there is a good chance this also accounts for your solid brake pedal, as they are never properly coming off!

One other thing, did the pads slip fairly easily into the calipers once the shims were out? They should. If not do not be afraid to grind a little metal off the edges so that they can slip in and out of the caliper without jamming. I once looked at a mate's car that was pulling like a sod to the left, and found his garage had hammered the pads into the caliper because they were a bit tight, result the caliper on the right was not able to push the pad at all!

The belt is a must, for water circulation reasons, even if not the source of the squeal. So, it seems to me from this far away and with glass in hand, that the XJS Gods are being kind to you, by saving your engine from melting though poor water circulation! A squeal of pain, in fact !

Greg
Hi Greg

You may not believe this, or maybe you would but it took me over half an hour to get those Brake Pads out!

And in case I forget to mention it, that was for each Side!

Which involved me drifting them out, not with the 'Watchmaker Method' but by using a 'Grandfather Clock!' in the form of an FBH on the end of a FBC! (big chisel)

As soon as I removed those 'Shims' they slipped in easily and it took a few pumps on the Pedal to make up the distance, before the Pedal went hard.

The only difference being that the Pedal had a bit of 'feel' to it, although I will not know for sure until I've done a road test and I'm not going anywhere until I get the slack out of that belt.

That bolt, the rusty one is soaked in 'Nut Juice' and I have made a gadget out of a rubber glove, that will keep it submerged in the stuff over night.

As an 'aside' I would like to say that this 'Stuff' packs one hell of a hit! to such an extent that all of those guys who smoke all of those 'e' cigarettes, just don't have a clue what they are missing!

So tomorrow its up bright an early, to see if the 'Nut Juice' has worked and now that those Brake Shims are out of the way, there isn't much else that it can be to get her back on the road.

Apart from wearing ear plugs when I'm driving!

When the GF discovered I'd rifled her bag and nicked her nail polish remover She wasn't too pleased!

To such an extent that She burst into tears, got in her Car and then F.O. to 'Nando's' with her Mates or should that be M8's.

I wouldn't mind but in her Shop, (sorry I mean her Salon!) She has literally Shed loads of the Stuff, so I am enjoying some peace and quiet and tidying up the house, as there seems to be Jaguar Spares all over the house.

So tomorrow I am hoping the Jaguar Gods will be looking kindly on me and will give you an update, as soon as I have something to report!

Old 06-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

It feels that you need to determine quickly if your squeal is related to bearings, brakes or engine bay.

It should be pretty easy to do that just by driving down the road and doing a few things.

Most wheel bearing noises change significantly, the noise either starting or stopping, when you load up or release the bearing tension by turning right or left.

An engine belt squeal is nearly always worse when you load the throttle. So, if the noise is happening as you drive down the road, try just taking your foot on and off the throttle and see if the noise changes. If the noise is constant as you drive along, just slip the gearbox into neutral and release the throttle. If the noise doesn't immediately stop, then it probably isn't a belt.

Most brake squeals will change the moment you put on the brakes or release them.

So, a few really simple tests that should immediately help you to know where the noise is coming from.

Paul
Hi Paul

And thank You very much for that useful piece of information, which as you will know is the kind of info, that you can't get out of a book.

So once I get back on the road, I will know what I should listen out for.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1800doogie
O.B.
Remove the shims, tighten the belt, then "man" up.
Give the GF back her nail polish remover, do your best wet kitten imitation, and get her dad to fix the exhaust!
There is more ahead, get this behind you. LOL
You are definitely a "spunk" to this forum!
Keep your head up, "till the GF finds her remover gone, then beg like a dog!", and move forward!
We are with you!
Wow! I am very deeply touched by those kind words of Yours and I've already got the 'Shims' out by using a hammer and Chisel, which may even give you a Clue, as to what a 'Biatch' they were to remove!

Which somehow gives me a feeling, that they were part of the problem but because the Fan Belt has become so loose, this could also turn out to be a contributory factor.

If not then the inner wheel bearing inside the front hub, may have got cooked, when the Caliper seized and nearly turned the Car into a Fireball!

Not an ideal situation, I think you would agree but at least it would have stopped the 'Squealing!'

The question now is will Gregs 'Nut Juice' Cocktail (Acetone and ATF) do the business, we will have to wait until tomorrow before we find out.

I won't be doing any sort of begging to the GF you've got to treat them mean to keep them keen, as once you give them value, you can kiss your (a) good bye!

As for now we must wait and see what Tomorrow may bring!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,385 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Greg

You may not believe this, [...]

When the GF discovered I'd rifled her bag and nicked her nail polish remover She wasn't too pleased!

To such an extent that She burst into tears, got in her Car and then F.O. to 'Nando's' with her Mates or should that be M8's.

I wouldn't mind but in her Shop, (sorry I mean her Salon!) She has literally Shed loads of the Stuff, so I am enjoying some peace and quiet and tidying up the house, as there seems to be Jaguar Spares all over the house.

[...]
OB, You have committed the Absolute Unforgivable Sin!

It matters not if she has "Shed Loads" of acetone, you DO NOT, under any circumstances, go through a woman's purse WITHOUT HER EXPRESSED PERMISSION!! EVER!!!

Since she has so much of it, she would probably HAVE GIVEN YOU A COUPLE GALLONS IF YOU HAD ASKED!!

This gaff is gonna cost you dearly, OB, because you have violated a Sacred Trust!

Forget the Wet Kitten routine, you're gonna hafta do WAY better than that to get past this one.
(';')

orangeblossom (06-11-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB

It matters not if she has "Shed Loads" of acetone, you DO NOT, under any circumstances, go through a woman's purse WITHOUT HER EXPRESSED PERMISSION!! EVER!!!
(';')

Was there anything else interesting in there?

Old 06-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Since she has so much of it, she would probably HAVE GIVEN YOU A COUPLE GALLONS IF YOU HAD ASKED!!

This gaff is gonna cost you dearly, OB, because you have violated a Sacred Trust!

Forget the Wet Kitten routine, you're gonna hafta do WAY better than that to get past this one.
(';')
Don't Panic!

It wasn't her purse!

It was a bog standard Make Up case, like everyone carries around in her line of work and primarily used for doing things like being on call at a Wedding or doing a Makeover at a Clients home before they go out.

Its massive and must weigh a Ton! So think of it as being, a 'Tool Box For Girls' but substitute Spanners and Screwdrivers, for Stuff like 'Fake Tan' and 'Nail Varnish Remover' plus lots of other bottles of related Stuff.

So definitely not in the same league as her own personal hand bag!

And just to make you feel better, the 'Blinking Merc Broke Down!'

I know........

I just got back home from a trip to the Shops and loads of Steam was coming out from everywhere!

On closer inspection I could see it was the heater hose, which was pouring water out, just as fast as I was pouring it in!

This is a problem on these Cars and tends to happen once every five years! but unlike a Jag or an XJS If I can't repair it in 10 minutes, then I don't think I am really trying.

Got to Fly as I am in the process of fixing the Squealing Water Pump Belt on my XJS using a Special Cocktail of Stuff which I call 'Gregs Nut Juice'
A 50/50% Mixture of ATF and (Ahem..!) The GF's Nail Varnish Remover!

But has it Solved the Problem of an Engine that Sounds like a 'Whistling Kettle' every single time you Start Her Up!

Stay tuned for the next update, when all will be revealed!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
I'll have to get back to you Norri, as to-day of all days the 'Blinking' Merc Broke down!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Don't Panic!

It wasn't her purse!

It was a bog standard Make Up case, like everyone carries around in her line of work and primarily used for doing things like being on call at a Wedding or doing a Makeover at a Clients home before they go out.

Its massive and must weigh a Ton! So think of it as being, a 'Tool Box For Girls' but substitute Spanners and Screwdrivers, for Stuff like 'Fake Tan' and 'Nail Varnish Remover' plus lots of other bottles of related Stuff.

So definitely not in the same league as her own personal hand bag!

And just to make you feel better, the 'Blinking Merc Broke Down!'

[...]
I never find pleasure in the misfortunes of others, OB, not even those who might deserve it, and I'm not saying you do. In fact, I'm sorry to know your Old Reliable failed you. But I don't think it has anything to do with you making your GF cry.

I asked a couple of friends about this, not specifically referring to you of course, but only in generalities. They agree that the very fact she burst into tears shows the extent of your trespass and violation of her trust.

Their question, and mine, How would you like it if some guy rummaged around in YOUR tool box without permission and behind your back, and "Borrowed" one of YOUR tools?

A tool box is a tool box, OB, just because it's HER tool box doesn't mean the same rules don't apply.

Respect begets respect. I think probably you'll be in trouble with her over this for quite some time.
(';')

Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Hi Norri

I only wanted the Acetone (nail varnish remover) I wasn't looking for anything else except that.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

I never find pleasure in the misfortunes of others, OB, not even those who might deserve it, and I'm not saying you do. In fact, I'm sorry to know your Old Reliable failed you. But I don't think it has anything to do with you making your GF cry.

I asked a couple of friends about this, not specifically referring to you of course, but only in generalities. They agree that the very fact she burst into tears shows the extent of your trespass and violation of her trust.

Their question, and mine, How would you like it if some guy rummaged around in YOUR tool box without permission and behind your back, and "Borrowed" one of YOUR tools?

A tool box is a tool box, OB, just because it's HER tool box doesn't mean the same rules don't apply.

Respect begets respect. I think probably you'll be in trouble with her over this for quite some time.
(';')
Hi Elinor

Everything's back to normal and we even went out in the Jag! which and you better believe it, is running just like a 'Sweet Dream!'

The only thing that Peed her off was that I didn't phone her but although I tried to do so, I didn't know that She had forgotten her phone and didn't get a chance to explain before She 'Foxtrot Oscared' out of the house!

Apart from that She was fine about it, especially as She understood the urgency of all that I was doing, to try and get the Jag back on the road but the one thing She'll never accuse me of is:

Changing from 'Boyfriend' to 'Borefriend' as to have a great relationship you have to stir things up from time to time, in a good Cop/bad Cop sort of way!

You may think Girls don't like that but they love a Challenge, otherwise the boredom will set in, so being Mr Predictable, is one of the worst things you could ever be!

As the one thing that they don't want is a cookie cutter Boyfriend, they want something different, just like I want my Jag!

Talking of Which it's running like a 'Chocolate Dream!' Thanks to 'Greg' for whom I am building 'A Shrine!' and while others have contributed, there is no doubt in my mind 'That Greg's The Man Who Can!'

Every time I started the Jag, the Engine Sounded like a 'Whistling Kettle' which Greg seemed to think was all down to a loose belt and he was right!

The only problem being the Adjuster was rusted Solid but a dose of Greg's 'Nut Juice' Cocktail, soon freed it off!
Then once the Belt was Adjusted, the 'Whistling Noise' went away.

Exactly the same with the Screaming noise, which made me think that the Wheels were about to fall off!

Greg, told me to throw the 'Shims' away that came with the Brake Pads and now the only thing you can hear, is the Raw Power of that Engine, as it Regally Rockets You down the road!

Its a totally different Car to drive and me and 'Hurricane Alice!' just cannot stop smiling!

And we had a 'Night Drive' as well which was totally awesome!

So Greg, if you are reading this, 'Thank You' seems so inadequate for all the help and the advice you gave me!

Which was appreciated so much more than you will ever know! and one of the best things to come out, is that I am learning my way around this Motor.

And don't just open the bonnet and close it down again, as slowly I am getting to know what I'm doing.

As for the Merc, I fixed it in 10 minutes! as unlike the Jag, they are that easy to Work on.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Well Done! And Congratulations! I'm very happy to see you are back on the road. I'm just worried that the stories will stop. Say it aint so!

Bill

orangeblossom (06-12-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 PM

Hi Elinor

Everything's back to normal and we even went out in the Jag! which and you better believe it, is running just like a 'Sweet Dream!'

The only thing that Peed her off was that I didn't phone her but although I tried to do so, I didn't know that She had forgotten her phone and didn't get a chance to explain before She 'Foxtrot Oscared' out of the house!

Apart from that She was fine about it, especially as She understood the urgency of all that I was doing, to try and get the Jag back on the road but the one thing She'll never accuse me of is:

Changing from 'Boyfriend' to 'Borefriend' as to have a great relationship you have to stir things up from time to time, in a good Cop/bad Cop sort of way!

You may think Girls don't like that but they love a Challenge, otherwise the boredom will set in, so being Mr Predictable, is one of the worst things you could ever be!

As the one thing that they don't want is a cookie cutter Boyfriend, they want something different, just like I want my Jag!

Talking of Which it's running like a 'Chocolate Dream!' Thanks to 'Greg' for whom I am building 'A Shrine!' and while others have contributed, there is no doubt in my mind 'That Greg's The Man Who Can!'

Every time I started the Jag, the Engine Sounded like a 'Whistling Kettle' which Greg seemed to think was all down to a loose belt and he was right!

The only problem being the Adjuster was rusted Solid but a dose of Greg's 'Nut Juice' Cocktail, soon freed it off!
Then once the Belt was Adjusted, the 'Whistling Noise' went away.

Exactly the same with the Screaming noise, which made me think that the Wheels were about to fall off!

Greg, told me to throw the 'Shims' away that came with the Brake Pads and now the only thing you can hear, is the Raw Power of that Engine, as it Regally Rockets You down the road!

Its a totally different Car to drive and me and 'Hurricane Alice!' just cannot stop smiling!

And we had a 'Night Drive' as well which was totally awesome!

So Greg, if you are reading this, 'Thank You' seems so inadequate for all the help and the advice you gave me!

Which was appreciated so much more than you will ever know! and one of the best things to come out, is that I am learning my way around this Motor.

And don't just open the bonnet and close it down again, as slowly I am getting to know what I'm doing.

As for the Merc, I fixed it in 10 minutes! as unlike the Jag, they are that easy to Work on.
Oh dear God,
Ever heard of stepping on your own d*#+?
Learning about Jags, and women, I can see!
If it works for you, great!
Enjoy your posts!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Elinor

[...]

Agreed! Boredom is Positively Deadly to any relationship.

I'm glad it's all sorted out.
(';')

Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,373 Likes on 5,494 Posts

Congratulations OB. I am delighted. Next time I am in the UK, depending upon where you are, I will suggest a pint.

As someone else mentioned, my life will be a less exciting matter now this is sorted! But isn't it a great feeling when they run right? My Ma in Law was in stitches when I explained about the acetone procurement story.

As for the GF delighted to hear she has also fallen in love, even if with the car instead of you!.

Cautionary note: do not forget the winter list (eg rear calipers and discs, all hoses, all belts, clean engine earths, downpipe grief...)

Once again, many congratulations, you did it, and you kept at it, and you made us all fascinated and amused. I still think that the Moscow guy who spotted the caliper inversion deserves your thanks the most!

Greg

Old 06-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill C
Well Done! And Congratulations! I'm very happy to see you are back on the road. I'm just worried that the stories will stop. Say it aint so!

Bill
It aint so!

I've also got a new hobby!

Which is buying Petrol! not just any old Petrol but 'Tesco Momentum' 98', in the event you are scared of heights, its best not to look down!

And if Spending vast amounts of 'dosh' keeps you awake at night, then whatever you do don't look at the dial on the Pump, as the first time that I did this, my hands were starting to shake!

I banged a hundred quids worth in and She was still begging for more! it was the sort of situation when you really start to wonder if there actually is a hole in the bottom of the tank!

It was the kind of momentum that I will never forget and can clearly remember my mouth going dry and breaking out into a sweat but I'm over it now!

It's really just a question of making sure you have got your priorities right and if push comes to shove go and live in a Tent in the Garden, as you won't be getting much sympathy with an XJS stuck in the drive.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1800doogie
Oh dear God,
Ever heard of stepping on your own d*#+?
Learning about Jags, and women, I can see!
If it works for you, great!
Enjoy your posts!
The only reason it works for me, is that I stay True to myself, because if you are constantly trying to be, what they want you to be all the time, then those kind of relationships can be 'Blinking' hard work!

And being the Perfect Boyfriend, isn't really what they want! As the Bad guys are the ones they tend to go for, so even if you are perfect like me! You do have to Play the 'Bad Guy' at times to keep her on her toes.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed! Boredom is Positively Deadly to any relationship.

I'm glad it's all sorted out.
(';')
Blinking heck!

I've found a kindred Spirit!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Congratulations OB. I am delighted. Next time I am in the UK, depending upon where you are, I will suggest a pint.

As someone else mentioned, my life will be a less exciting matter now this is sorted! But isn't it a great feeling when they run right? My Ma in Law was in stitches when I explained about the acetone procurement story.

As for the GF delighted to hear she has also fallen in love, even if with the car instead of you!.

Cautionary note: do not forget the winter list (eg rear calipers and discs, all hoses, all belts, clean engine earths, downpipe grief...)

Once again, many congratulations, you did it, and you kept at it, and you made us all fascinated and amused. I still think that the Moscow guy who spotted the caliper inversion deserves your thanks the most!

Greg
Hi Greg

Although I've had useful suggestions from some of the other Guys 'You are the Man!'

It had got to the Stage where I was actually scared of driving the Car, as I had a vision of either one of both wheels coming off!

But not anymore!

As soon as I adjusted that belt the Squealing went away and taking out those stupid 'Brake Shims' just worked wonders.

She is now a Joy and a Pleasure to Drive and when you put your foot down, 'Twerks' like Miley Cyrus!

OMG! Can that Car get away!

The rush I get from driving her, cannot be described and that's the kind of feeling, that I am getting every single time! at any speed.

My favorite being Roundabouts, where that long bonnet can easily take a couple of 'Weeks to Swing Round!'

Even the Exhaust Pipes have sorted themselves out, where for reasons I don't understand, all of that banging and crashing has simply gone away!

The only down side being, that this Baby loves a drop of Petrol! quite a few drops in fact! and even though I've got a Six that does double the mileage, you can never put a price on pleasure. You're only here once!

So its off to pick up the GF, put on the 'Cherry Chapstick' and having done so go and 'Shoot the Breeze!'

Thanks Again Greg, What more can I say.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 PM

OB,
How did you get"Gregs nut juice" past the admin?
Lol!
The mental images are horrifying!
If you found what works for you, thats great! But, bad boys step over the line one too many times, as bad girls do!
Use caution!
Your GF does her thing, and lets you do yours. Sounds perfect!
Boring, NEVER! Your right, gotta shake it up a bit from time to time!
SO glad you are getting to enjoy the cat, but don't want the post to end!
You should really consider being a righter!
Kids story's would be so much more fun!
I know Id buy every book you put out!
It may all be true, but you have that "magic twist"!
Best to you, hope to hear more soon, " hopefully good"!
Pete

Quick Reply: What's the best way to fix this Exhaust Pipe 'Bodge Up'?