XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Coolant - Standard Bluecol / Green coolant. Change annually irrespective of use.
Brakes - DOT 4 ONLY
Trans - Anything Dexron 3 spec (supersedes and is backward compatible with Dexron 2) same stuff for the power steering.
Oil - Officially 20w/50 but I run 10w/40 fully synth without any problem at all, varies according to climate and or variety of oil leak (you almost certainly will have ) The Saudi's will be delighted each time you change the oil!

I would do the diff too, dedicated diff oil and jag additive. Avoid synth (although your later car should be free of leather seals etc..) Don't forget fuel / oil filters and hose check and you should be set for a while

Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

And........

Those front wheel bearings need to be cleaned and repacked from time-to-time. Might as well add it to the list and get it all over and done with.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

As far as replacing coils Doug and others can chime in on this but if I understand correctly you want the ones marked "made in Japan". They will be able to give you all the correct info on which ones for the money are holding up best. I did replace my trans. cooling lines as one was starting to leak at the pressed fitting. What I found out is one is available on line pre made and the other I had to have made to match orig. but I cannot remember if the one that was available was going to the radiator or coming back. Just something to be aware of and also I had ordered a trans. filter on line for my 95 but it came too thick which I found out it was for a XJ6 since they have a deeper pan. I ended up having to get one for like a 1990 XJS and it was the correct one. Front rotors are very inexpensive and are pretty soft. I have had a A/C leak since buying the car but from what I can tell this is pretty common on the car so I keep it filled every summer. You want to make sure you keep the throttle body cleaned out. The only other issue I have had so far is the heater control valve back by the firewall started dripping but was fairly inexpensive on E-bay and easy to replace. Make sure you keep your coolant clean and updated.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987and 1990 xjs

I have found two xjs here in Texas , I have the opportunity to put these cars back out into the world , I'm not,interested in repairing them, my question is what are they worth? These cars are fairly straight interior seats are good but the wood (looks to be plastic) is not in good shape, they are both v12s neither one of them run one has wire wheel the other wheels look to be a honey comb look, should I even mess with them or leave them sit and deteriorate? It seems ashame as a guy that builds hot rods and rat rods here in Texas it seems someone out there would want these cars. Any help in deciding what they,are worth would greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkyarddawg
I have found two xjs here in Texas , I have the opportunity to put these cars back out into the world , I'm not,interested in repairing them, my question is what are they worth? These cars are fairly straight interior seats are good but the wood (looks to be plastic) is not in good shape, they are both v12s neither one of them run one has wire wheel the other wheels look to be a honey comb look, should I even mess with them or leave them sit and deteriorate? It seems ashame as a guy that builds hot rods and rat rods here in Texas it seems someone out there would want these cars. Any help in deciding what they,are worth would greatly appreciated. Thanks
Best advice I can share with you is never underestimate what it will take to bring a tired example back to good to excellent shape. These cars were nicely equipped with leather etc. so things can cost quickly. Sounds like you are looking at a couple of parts cars if you were in need of that but I would not mess with them-that is my 2 cents on your question.