XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Wheeler Dealer Vender for British Car Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 12:29 PM
Received 170 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Wheeler Dealer Vender for British Car Wiring Harness

I saw a Wheeler Dealer episode a month ago (?) in which Mike bought a replacement wiring harness from a supplier in GB that specializes in British car electrical harnesses. Anyone know who makes replacement harnesses in GB? I want to buy a replacement DAC6796 Marelli Digital Ignition Wiring Harness for my 1990 V-12. Jagbits sells one for $2000 custom order, but that is kinda high and I want to see if I can have one made for less than that.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:05 PM
Received 342 Likes on 177 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Robbo D:
mikebaker3 (02-24-2021), ptjs1 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 01:29 PM
Received 340 Likes on 220 Posts

AutoSparks is awesome! But they don’t have much for 80’s and 90’s Jags. Keep hitting them so they realize there is a market!!!

The following users liked this post:
mikebaker3 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 11:13 AM

I sent an inquiry, but reading their website, since they don't have one listed, it would be a custom requiring that I send the harness from my car to England for them to use as a pattern. By the time I deal with shipping both ways, I think I will not be able to do better than to buy the OEM harness from Jagbits and just choke on the price. I asked salvage yards for availability of a harness to rebuild, but did not have much luck.

I will post the outcome.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebaker3
I sent an inquiry, but reading their website, since they don't have one listed, it would be a custom requiring that I send the harness from my car to England for them to use as a pattern. By the time I deal with shipping both ways, I think I will not be able to do better than to buy the OEM harness from Jagbits and just choke on the price. I asked salvage yards for availability of a harness to rebuild, but did not have much luck.

I will post the outcome.
Hi Mike...

And you should choke on the price... It's outrageous...!

I think that if ya take a close look at the harness ya have, talk with folks here OR find someone in your neighborhood that is comfortable with these sorts of things, you could easily reproduce the harness for under 100 bucks. No,,, really!

All and all it's several/a handful or more of wires - each 2, 3 or 4 feet in length and your old harness can serve as a map. The only concerns I could see if I were to do this myself is/are the plug ends that go into the amps over the rad. One would have to source the particular clips that might go into the old plugs OR maybe source a new Merelli Ignition Amp plug set up and run wires...

When I worked on mine, the wiring at the plugs at the amp ends, at the front end of the engine thru that little cut out over the rad, were like new. It was that short section that runs along the side of the fuel rail and into the coils, where the 12v power also hooks in, that was the problem... Dry brittle and freyed...

You got this.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebaker3

I will post the outcome.
Hi Mike...

And you should choke on the price... It's outrageous...!

I think that if ya take a close look at the harness ya have, talk with folks here OR find someone in your neighborhood that is comfortable with these sorts of things, you could easily reproduce the harness for under 100 bucks. No,,, really!

All and all it's several/a handful or more of wires - each 2, 3 or 4 feet in length and your old harness can serve as a map. The only concerns I could see if I were to do this myself is/are the plug ends that go into the amps over the rad. One would have to source the particular clips that might go into the old plugs OR maybe source a new Merelli Ignition Amp plug set up and run wires...

When I worked on mine, the wiring at the plugs at the amp ends, at the front end of the engine thru that little cut out over the rad, were like new. It was that short section that runs along the side of the fuel rail and into the coils, where the 12v power also hooks in, that was the problem... Dry brittle and freyed...

You got this.

Old 02-27-2021, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

Try sng barratt

Old 02-27-2021, 08:37 PM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Making sections of wiring haness to fit the engine bay is generally not difficult.
To make the long section that goes from the ECU in the trunk thru the car body to the footwell - now that is a challenge.

My XJ-Ss are not Marelli and I don't have a photo of the section needed.
However, a good auto electrician can do that kind of thing at moderate cost.
Try one for an estimate.
What he probably needs is your old plugs in good condition since they may not be easy to find new.
He might not have an exact match for the OEM wire colours, but that is not critical.

I am lucky to have all the gear to fix any wiring problem in my cars.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:38 AM

The Marelli ignition cars have a second separate wiring harness from the ignition ECU located in the passenger footwell (L/H drive cars) that runs into the engine compartment and parallel to the Fuel Injection ECU wiring harness. I have a thread on here that shows the heat damage to the wiring harness that became visible after it was unwrapped. Attached is one of the photos from that thread. I cut each wire one by one, slid heat shrink over the exposed wire, then crimped and soldered where the wire was cut. I still had trouble and read a post that talked about additional heat damage as the ignition harness passed along the left side of the air conditioning compressor and connects to two ignition amplifiers on top of the radiator. I found more damage there. I had coiled the harness and places it up on the windshield when I replaced the engine. That, I suspect is why the insulation crumbled off causing all the shorts.

Even after the repairs, I am still having issues. That Is why I am looking to replace the harness. I considered rebuilding the harness, but was having trouble finding a source for the female terminals for all the connectors and the terminals were deforming when trying to remove them.

I checked with a few salvage yards looking for a harness that was rebuildable, but did not have a lot of luck finding one. Hence, the decision to order an OEM harness, if Jagbits is actually able to supply one, since it is special order.

extent of the heat damage

Old 02-28-2021, 08:43 AM

Jagbits cannot special order that harness. They sold me a used one... for $1600. I had no other options. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2021, 08:44 AM

Brinny;

I checked SNG Barrett USA, but they don't list one by the part number.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:48 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Try Welsh Enterp[rises. There is also a place in New England

Old 02-28-2021, 07:44 PM

Jagbits called this afternoon. The $2,000 was based on the last time he had a harness made for a customer three years ago. He spoke with the supplier in Brittan who told him that based on changes in the valuation of the Pound VS the Dollar, the price would be $2,400. I have cancelled the order for now.

If I can find the female crimp on terminals, I will redo the harness myself. The terminals fit the Bosch EV1 fuel injector AMP connectors. Photos and a sketch of the terminals is attached.

I spent about three hours this afternoon surfing electrical connector websites, but have not found the crimp on terminals yet.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Jaguar Specialties has a guy who does wiring in the US, though it may require sending in a marelli plug so as to copy it properly, ideally if I had money to burn on initial investment I'd buy a harness online (for the accurate plug and lengths) and pay someone to do a series of them...but as you see above the price is high for just 1 unit.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:09 PM

They’re sumitomo MT 50’s. I can’t find who I bought them from but this appears like place to
get them ...

https://www.corsa-technic.com/catego...category_id=51

Old 03-01-2021, 04:19 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Try Tyco Electric for harness

mikebaker3 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

I recall grant rewired his with 7 core caravan cable I think!

mikebaker3 (03-04-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 02:41 PM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Mike,
Those connector pins are for a "Junior timer" pliug.
Same plugs used for the V12 injectors.
Originally an AMP brand product, now made by Tyco.
They are a common item, I have a small bag of them bought from a local vendor who sells automotive electrical spares.
I would be surprised if the average auto electrician did not have a few.

mikebaker3 (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:57 AM

richardsjags;

I wish I had your post earlier in my search. I spent 7 hours over three days on electrical supplier websites to reach the same conclusion. I ordered 100 terminals, a crimp tool, a pin removal tool and different colored wires. I am waiting for delivery from different vendors.

I still need to find a source for the shielded wire for the front crankshaft pickup

I will post a side by side comparison of terminals when everything arrives.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:39 AM

I received the terminals last evening. They are a perfect match. They are the same as used for the connectors at both the Fuel injection ECU and the Marelli ECU.

The only location that they do not fit is the Coil Connectors.

I ordered the terminals from www.newark.com.
Newark part number 52R4315 Manufacturer part number 927846-2
I bought 100. With shipping and sales tax, the price per terminal was $0.3934

Greg in France (03-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Wheeler Dealer Vender for British Car Wiring Harness