XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Who has dealt w/these guys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezrider
I'm not anti swap iv done many motor swaps before, but i don't think i would pick a jag to motor swap. to me what makes a xjs enjoyable to drive is the ride the smoothness the quietness combined with decent road holding and weight balance. i would be afraid that a motor swap would upset a few of them points. it probably can be done to retain most of them points. but it would take a ton of planning and detail to try to re-create what is already there with another power plant.

it would be nice if my jag had a little better hole shot but its not bad. and really the jag really comes to life past most posted speed limits. i think i would consider a re-gear before a re-power.

iv got a project sitting on the back burner a 89 Toyota pickup with a lot of sentimental value that also has fist size hole in the block that i want to re-power if i can ever make up my mind what i want to put in it.

if i had a unlimited budget and lots of time. id take a Geo metro put a big hp v8 in it rear wheel drive quiet exhaust and try to keep non stock outward appearance limited to just some tires that can hook up with that kinda power.
Yes, retaining your points would require a bit more planning and careful engine selection. I get the impression from your post that you have not driven a proper Lump. The ride and smoothness can be retained with proper engine selection and a few minor considerations. For example a stock fuel injected LT1 or LS engine is almost as smooth as the V12 and probably on par with the I6 but I've only driven an I6 once. The proper handling and driving dynamics which we all love can be retained by using AJ6 front springs. Both the LS and Lt1 are very similar in weight to the I6 and may actually be slightly less heavy because over head cam I6 engines usually weigh a bit more that CIB V8s. I can tell you from experience the set back position and low center of gravity of a compact CIB V8 enhances handling dynamics noticeably. When you remove 450Lbs off the front axel you are certainly going to make dynamics such as handling and braking improve.

As for noise the V12's have a distinct growl many enjoy. I believe this is the case because the exhaust manifolds sit very close to the frame rail and transmit a muted exhaust note in to the cabin. A v8 convert moves exhaust manifolds a bit farther away from the frame rail so the growl is still there only a bit less so.

I've seen shakey lumps with poorly tuned carbs burning my eyes and clacking away because the exhaust pipe was hitting the frame. I'm not an advocate for workmanship like that.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

I've seen the same, SS.

In my experience/observation the hatchet job conversions are suffering the inevitable rate of attrition. I see 'em languishing on Craiglist, Auto Trader, etc. fairly often for very little money. Usually, it seems, they've met the fate the the owner was trying to avoid with the engine swap in the first place.....sitting out behind the barn rotting away. Who knows why. Unresolved problems with the conversion? Problems with the rest of the car? Chev engine eventually wore out? I reckon most end up in the scrapyard but presumably (hopefully) the V8 conversion delayed that fate for a few years.

Gradually, but increasingly, though, I'm seeing really nice Jags with beautifully done conversions. Very sanitary work with good results. Sometimes these come up for sale with the seller remarking 'many thousands spent'.....and, looking at the result, I have no reason to doubt it. But these cars begin to stretch the notion of a V8 conversion being a 'practical, low cost' way of keeping an old Jag on the road.

Obviously a lot would depend on how much is paid for the conversion kit + the Chev engine and trans. I really don't know what the going prices are these days.

I'm rambling.....

Cheers
DD

Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by geoffsxjs
I hope to be here on this forum LONG after today, and will progress happily down my GM road without EVER posting progress reports or fotos of the work so as not to make you wretch, and I won't type a word OF it after the end of this sentence. (WELL… MAYBE ONE MORE THING- If I WAS MAKING A 1/4 mile JAG??? TWIN TURBO LT1)
I absolutely think you should stick around, comment, ask questions, and contribute things you've learned through your experiences, which the rest of us may not have run across, and just become part of the vast knowledge pool that is on this forum.

Last edited by JagZilla; 03-14-2014 at 12:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-07-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I've seen the same, SS.

In my experience/observation the hatchet job conversions are suffering the inevitable rate of attrition. I see 'em languishing on Craiglist, Auto Trader, etc. fairly often for very little money. Usually, it seems, they've met the fate the the owner was trying to avoid with the engine swap in the first place.....sitting out behind the barn rotting away. Who knows why. Unresolved problems with the conversion? Problems with the rest of the car? Chev engine eventually wore out? I reckon most end up in the scrapyard but presumably (hopefully) the V8 conversion delayed that fate for a few years.

Gradually, but increasingly, though, I'm seeing really nice Jags with beautifully done conversions. Very sanitary work with good results. Sometimes these come up for sale with the seller remarking 'many thousands spent'.....and, looking at the result, I have no reason to doubt it. But these cars begin to stretch the notion of a V8 conversion being a 'practical, low cost' way of keeping an old Jag on the road.

Obviously a lot would depend on how much is paid for the conversion kit + the Chev engine and trans. I really don't know what the going prices are these days.

I'm rambling.....

Cheers
DD

Well hopefully this is fading away a bit. New LS1 swaps require a bit more knowledge and attention to detail than a rusty 350 with a carb. It seems like these examples are from the 80s and 90s mostly and represents the work done back then they same way most unrestored cars from the 60s and 70s weigh 200lbs more than stock because every dent and ding is smeared in bondo instead of properly repairing the panel

Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

i would like to see you post your project and progress as well.

i would like to see someone create a nicely done conversion. the biggest problem is most v8 conversions you see out there are hack jobs.

if it was me doing it i think i would find a replacement engine vrs a swap but I'm not against you swapping your car.

JimC64 (04-07-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

ICS you can argue all day because it is your opinion but a V8 cannot match the smoothness that a V12 can just like a V6 can't match the smoothness of a v8. Its physics.

then again you believe pushrods are the future...

Last edited by sidescrollin; 03-11-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
ICS you can argue all day because it is your opinion but a V8 cannot match the smoothness that a V12 can just like a V6 can't match the smoothness of a v8. Its physics.

V12's with a power stroke every 60 degrees certainly are smooth no question about that. However modern V8's with coil on plug and sequential fuel injection are very smooth too and can rival a batch fire spark jumping distributor based v12. Not as smooth perhaps but real close. I owned a 6.0 Jaguar V12 and 6.2 LS motor at the same time so I was able to directly compare them.

then again you believe pushrods are the future...
Doesn't matter what I think I'm not an automotive engineer. Over the years I've owned many more OHC motors then pushrods. But the fact are the facts. GM's newest LT1 push rod V8 make mores HP over all and more HP per LBS that BMW's latest twin turbo V8 by more than 10%. There are other sophisticated engines that make great power too but the BMW was the only one that got close to the new LT1. How long will push rods solider on...I don't know but it's amazing to me what GM engineers have been able to accomplish using push rods.

Last edited by icsamerica; 03-11-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

A very interesting discussion. I thank everyone for their contributions, it's made me much more aware of the disparate interests of the members of this forum. I too love the thought of having a V12 Jaguar, and that was my wish for many years. It wasn't to be, but that's quite OK. There are many automotive conversions and "upgrades" that I don't personally like, low-riders with flashy paint and lots of chrome for instance, but I've ALWAYS appreciated the thought and passion put into them by their owners. It's the same with engine transplants, I don't always understand the reasons driving them, but I do appreciate the efforts they represent.

I look forward to hearing more of the OP's story, and seeing pictures, and encourage his future participation here.

And to those stuffing huge engines into little cars, be careful! I lost a friend when his cute Sony micro-truck spun, rolled, and burned. It was a beautiful job, but turned out to be his last.

Steve

icsamerica (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

Good read. Strong opinions. Repairs or swaps - neither are inexpensive or happen at the snap of fingers. My 12 was smooth, even on 11 cylinders. Leaky plug wire. Jumped the chain on the jack shaft, came home on a back of a wrecker. I'm old school, so BBC was my choice. Where would we be if no one every put a engine a surrey or Henry didn't race the 999?

Last edited by lickahotskillet; 03-11-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: wording
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

How about leaving it at this?

Some guys like the Jag engines, expend the necessary effort, time, and money to make 'em run sweetly and reliably, and meet with success.

Some guys like the V8 engines, expend the necessary effort, time, and money to install 'em in Jags, and meet with success.

'You can't argue with success'

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
geoffsxjs (03-12-2014), JimC64 (04-07-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Doug,

If this forum ever appoints an ambassador it should definitely be you

Care to address the current situation in the Ukraine?

JimC64 (04-07-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes you can...some fools argue with success all the time, just look at our congress.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yay Doug

Old 03-15-2014, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I've been speaking from my experience of 100% of V8 swaps I have ever seen also being the biggest piece of **** of an XJS I have ever seen. EVERYTHING on the car is somehow ruined in an unimaginable way and it is always on 350 swaps. Weird giant wheels with the wrong offset, electrical nightmare. horrible seat covers and steering wheel wraps....even the fact that you would put a giant pie pan air cleaner on it with cheap autozone chrome dusted in rust....every V8 swap I have ever seen meant the death of the car.

Obviously this isn't always the case, but in my experience represents the vast majority of v8 swaps. I have seen a 2j swap in asia that was VERY CLEAN.
spend some time drooling here ....

Photos of Modified Sports Cars

Old 03-15-2014, 04:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"...every V8 swap I have ever seen meant the death of the car…"

Allow me to afford you a view of that might bump your percentage a little…

Jaguar V8 Kit

Old 03-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

geoffsxjs - Don't forget to remove all the V12 badging when you're done!

Keep it real.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

My 1990 XJS with 32K miles is all factory and I'm leaving it that way... Original and unrestored is the way to go.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

"I wanna put an LS1/T56 setup in it", with all due respect I suggest you buy a Corvette.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagZilla
Doug,

If this forum ever appoints an ambassador it should definitely be you

Care to address the current situation in the Ukraine?

Tee hee. I love politics....but not on a car hobby forum. I get plenty of it elsewhere, including my own immediate family....which is a real mixed bag. Family get togethers are a real hoot .

Cheers
DD

Old 03-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJSFan
My 1990 XJS with 32K miles is all factory

And presumably a splendid example

and I'm leaving it that way... Original and unrestored is the way to go.

Well, sure, that's *one* way to go.....if you have a Jag in fantastic condition. Easy decision.

I'll bet a month's pay that even the most ardent V8 conversion fan would advocate that a gorgeous, low mileage, original Jag with a sweet running Jag engine should be lovingly preserved and maintained as-is.....and would NOT advocate that the engine be swapped.

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: Who has dealt w/these guys?