XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Who has dealt w/these guys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger95
"I wanna put an LS1/T56 setup in it", with all due respect I suggest you buy a Corvette.

Yes, but buying a Corevtte instead virtually assures that the XJS in question will end up in the scrapyard!

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
icsamerica (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts
Default Lol

Originally Posted by bhamilton
geoffsxjs - Don't forget to remove all the V12 badging when you're done!

Keep it real.
Nice...

Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Jaguar XJS Coupe

This is a typical example of what I see transplants looking like.

The fact that this person wants almost $5k is incredible. I'd be shocked if he could get $500

Old 03-31-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Regardless of the "butchered it" factor I just couldn't live with an engine swapped Jag. It would be like going anywhere in a VW kit car and having people check you out or pulling up to the real car and knowing in your mind there is a dirty little secret under the hood and you don't have the real thing and aren't actually experiencing what it is like to own that car.

Either way if I was going to do an engine swap and didn't use the V12 i'd be more creative than an LS motor. I think a XJR supercharged 6 cylinder would be really cool.

OR put an AJv8 in it. I think that would be an acceptable replacement if you cant deal with the V12. Go grab an XJR/XKR and you'll have 400hp and still be driving a Jag.
Absolutely. Not that I have anything against the Chevy set up, but I'm, too, for a S/C AJV8 by all means: 1, you stay Jaguar and 2, you have a close HP match given that the 4.0L Jag is supercharged. Then, compared to the dead V12, well that's like comparing apples to oranges, power and reliability wise, given that the V8's cam tensioners have been done.

Back, when all XJS in America had to be V12's, I was all for a top Corvette engine swap, should the V12 die, as my '77 XJ12 did. The V12 reputation in those days could not possibly have been worse, so putting another V12 in there was like "hit me, I'm stupid". But things have changed, and from the early nineties Jaguar's reliability took a major change for the better (starting with the AJ6/AJ16) and today there's no longer need to resort to "good 'ol American reliability" to fix a dead V12. Actually, it is my understanding that reliability with the 4.2 six back in those days wasn't much better than the V12, which I think were the BL ownership years.

Footnote: Unless you're a "genuine Jaguar guy" like we all are here in this forum, here in America in general, people won't be necessarily offended by the Chevy under the hood. Maybe in England, Europe in general, or another English country, but not much here in America, unless it is during a local Jag meet, or between us Jag fanatics. In fact, during a recent all-British car show, there was an old S Type (meaning the original S-Type) next to my car with the hood open and a Corvette engine in it, a very well done job in a beautiful car. Well, that car attracted more enthusiasts than the nice XK150 to my other side or to any other car around, including my own XJS. I have experienced this for years, as people tend to get comfy (or proud?) to the idea that the beautiful Jag has an American heart in it.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

@op. If you really want to make it better why on earth would you put a Chevy block or any mass produced American engine in it for that matter. You want dependability, technological advancement and HP put a German or Japanese engine in it - they are literally years ahead of the US in engine development. Admittedly I have a soft spot for large US blocks but because of the character of them, none of the reason you list tbh... See how well the latest push rods line up vs. something like the 3.8 Twin turbo V6 in the GT-R an engine that can be tuned to 600bhp / 600ft/lb. without breaking a sweat, 1000hp is attainable not that I would ever suggest such a monstrosity for a lovely XJS. "Aint no replacement for displacement" is now well and truly outdated
Personally I would keep it all original but as others have said, come to a Jag board what do you expect to hear.

Last edited by Tyran66; 03-31-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tyran66
@op. If you really want to make it better

As i recall from the original post....I didn;t go back and rad it....the original engine is toast. Anything that runs would be better :-)

why on earth would you put a Chevy block or any mass produced American engine in it for that matter. You want dependability, technological advancement and HP put a German or Japanese engine in it - they are literally years ahead of the US in engine development. Admittedly I have a soft spot for large US blocks but because of the character of them, none of the reason you list tbh... See how well the latest push rods line up vs. something like the 3.8 Twin turbo V6 in the GT-R an engine that can be tuned to 600bhp / 600ft/lb. without breaking a sweat,

Yeah, but what if he wants 350-or so very relaxed horsepower and isn't concerned with who makes the most technologically advanced engine?

And is anyone out there making an off-the-shelf conversion kit to install a German or Japanese motor into a Jag? It's hard to ignore the ease/convenience factor.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Yeah, but what if he wants 350-or so very relaxed horsepower and isn't concerned with who makes the most technologically advanced engine?

And is anyone out there making an off-the-shelf conversion kit to install a German or Japanese motor into a Jag? It's hard to ignore the ease/convenience factor.

Cheers
DD

The measurement of technologically advanced is somewhat subjective. I like to use power to weight ratio with a consideration of refinement and fuel economy. When it comes to that the older pushrod LS engine are very advanced because they offer excellent power for their weight and are very smooth. The smaller derivatives are very fuel efficient. The new crop of GM pushrod engines offer more power and less weight that BMW's twinturbo V8. Further more the new Camaro Z/28 with it's normally aspirated pushrod motor just beat the GT-R at the track.

Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 and Nissan GT-R on Head 2 Head

Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

"Yes, but buying a Corevtte instead virtually assures that the XJS in question will end up in the scrapyard!" To be sure Doug and that is sad. However it will pull one more s**tbox off the market and in its own small way help to maintain/increase the value of the remaining cars.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger95
"Yes, but buying a Corevtte instead virtually assures that the XJS in question will end up in the scrapyard!" To be sure Doug and that is sad. However it will pull one more s**tbox off the market and in its own small way help to maintain/increase the value of the remaining cars.

That's one way to look at it, and you're probably right.

Me? Rather than cull the market so only the best cars survive I'd rather see more of them kept on the road. Personally I much prefer my Jags to have Jag engines but it seems a crime to throw a Jag away when there are options for saving it.

But, yeah, it's a double edged sword. Lower market values make it undesirable to spend the big money to repair dead Jaguar engines. Higher values would make it difficult for people like me to even own a Jag.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM

@ICS. If only that American pushrod of yours had beat a GT-R around a proper race, like the Nürburgring. It was a full 10 seconds slower if you care to make a direct comparison. But I don't want to get into all that my underlying point was that American engine design is dated, its not a personal criticism but a by-product of the cheap oil that you have had the great fortune to benefit from. Oil stopped being cheap in Europe in the 70's so the market forced to design better engines.

I still say put a jag engine in it. A Chevy block will suck the soul out of it.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Jaguar V-12's were not unreliable early on more like American mechanics had no idea how to work on them so the cure all for V-12's and poor XJ-6 4.2's was to "Lump" them...acceptable practice??? Obviously if your mech tells you the Jaguar power plant is junk and we got this here reliable V8 then, well you get the picture (or maybe you don't) The big point is most here are JAGUAR enthusiasts not "Lump" enthusiasts....this forum should install a "Lumps" section (I know, broken record) to avoid this delema and allow the "Lumpsters" to co-mingle in peace and share all their "Lumpyness" (now I'm just making stuff up!) sorry, not a fan, don't have to be and don't want to be. I'm here to discuss Jaguars...front to back...Jaguar put a GM Trans and A/C compressor in my car??? YeeHaw, that's what JAGUAR did and it came that way from Browns lane which is good with me...not "Broken Kitty" (please spare me) from Texas....My son drives a push rod GM power plant in his Firebird and frankly it is one big out dated P.O.S (all IMHO) with only 60K well maintained miles on it.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,300 Likes on 5,423 Posts
Default Tell Us What You Really Think!

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Jaguar V-12's were not unreliable early on more like American mechanics had no idea how to work on them so the cure all for V-12's and poor XJ-6 4.2's was to "Lump" them...acceptable practice??? Obviously if your mech tells you the Jaguar power plant is junk and we got this here reliable V8 then, well you get the picture (or maybe you don't) The big point is most here are JAGUAR enthusiasts not "Lump" enthusiasts....this forum should install a "Lumps" section (I know, broken record) to avoid this delema and allow the "Lumpsters" to co-mingle in peace and share all their "Lumpyness" (now I'm just making stuff up!) sorry, not a fan, don't have to be and don't want to be. I'm here to discuss Jaguars...front to back...Jaguar put a GM Trans and A/C compressor in my car??? YeeHaw, that's what JAGUAR did and it came that way from Browns lane which is good with me...not "Broken Kitty" (please spare me) from Texas....My son drives a push rod GM power plant in his Firebird and frankly it is one big out dated P.O.S (all IMHO) with only 60K well maintained miles on it.
JT, It's not good to hold back like this!
Tell us what you Really think. You'll feel better.
(';')

Old 04-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

I've mellowed with age .

Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

The time that the pushrod Camaro put up on the ring in damp conditions is an amazing time considering the price and simplicity of the vehicle. It just works well as designed. As for the GT-R's time....it widely known that Nissan brought a ringer in for the test, not a production car.
NISMO GT-R a "Ringer" for the Ring?

Not that it matters but...both cars have comparable fuel economy the GT-R is 1MPG better in the city and the LS7 gets 1 MPG better on the open road.
There is no shame in a push rod motor, as if being 10 seconds slower than an $120,000 Nismo ringer is something to be remiss about. They are clearly competitive and just about any LS motor would overwhelm the chassis in an XJS. And if you don't understand that you'd never applied serious power an XJ.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

I agree we need a lumps section....

The market speaks...One could argue that Lumps are worth more than original cars.

Converted 1983 XJS with 100,000+ miles sold for nearly $6000
V8 Conversion Super Smooth Ride Automatic Cold A C Clean Title | eBay

V12 1989 XJS with 67,000 miles sold for much less. 4500$
Jaguar XJS XJS | eBay

I wont bother to list all the XJS listed on ebay right now that say "Doesn't Run" that would be too easy.

Last edited by icsamerica; 04-01-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
The time that the pushrod Camaro put up on the ring in damp conditions is an amazing time considering the price and simplicity of the vehicle. It just works well as designed. As for the GT-R's time....it widely known that Nissan brought a ringer in for the test, not a production car.
NISMO GT-R a "Ringer" for the Ring?

Not that it matters but...both cars have comparable fuel economy the GT-R is 1MPG better in the city and the LS7 gets 1 MPG better on the open road.
There is no shame in a push rod motor, as if being 10 seconds slower than an $120,000 Nismo ringer is something to be remiss about. They are clearly competitive and just about any LS motor would overwhelm the chassis in an XJS. And if you don't understand that you'd never applied serious power an XJ.

I did not really want to get into this but I feel I cannot let blatantly incorrect information go :

The 2009 GT-R clocked 7min 26 secs on race tyres, the z28 5 YEARS later clocked 7min 37secs (in Semi wet). So 11 secs different to be precise - both STANDARD cars.

The GT-R "ringer" you mention was the GT-R Nismo, it clocked 7min 8secs almost 30 seconds quicker.
Source - List of Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ultimately its going to be your car and your choice but in my humble opinion you will significantly dent the appeal of your XJS lumping it. But coming here what did you expect to hear +1 for the lump section. And BTW if you were to ask Porsche about these times - they are all lies!

Last edited by Tyran66; 04-02-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm giving up my lurker status on this because bench racing is not cool. We have gotten pretty far from the original topic asking if anyone has had experience with a particular vendor. I have not dealt with that vendor and might have liked to hear feedback from others.

I do not recall the original poster asking anyone here which engine he should put in his car, or wanting to discuss how fast cars having even less to do with this forum than a lumped jaguar, go around the Ring. (side note: a lap time has little to do with which motor is superior, i.e. You could put the GT-R motor in the z28 and it would not run a 7:08 or a 7:37, and you could have a 1000hp Camaro or GT-R on race rubber with someone who has zero track time and they wouldn't be able to break into the 9 minute range).

Every car is amazing in its own right, and there is someone out there who will appreciate it. So can we keep it friendly and collaborate to share information based on facts and personal experiences/lessons learned please?

The following 5 users liked this post by POSracing:
Bc xj (06-26-2015), JimC64 (04-07-2014), LnrB (04-02-2014), Steve M (04-02-2014), Tyran66 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,036 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Exactly; what was the original post about? I've lost track (sic).

Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

There's been mention of "should we have a lump section? here.......I've also been advised of a "flame war" within this thread / section.

Firstly, as far as I see and at this moment in time, I see no need for a lump section.....

There will always be differences in opinion on this, whether it should be 100% original and Jag through n through, or whether engine swaps are a good idea. There will always be the purists, no matter what and or if another section were to be created.

For now, I believe it will stay as is, but we're always open to looking at it again in the future.

Furthermore, having quickly read through the many posts here, I see no real flame war, no real nasty comments / remarks, just members passionate about "their" choices for their cars...

Thats part of what this and any forum is about.

With that said, please remember to rein in certain comments and avoid being rude / offensive as forum rules dictate, ie - treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated.

Thank you

Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that anytime any poster asks a question regarding swapping engines, the thread gets hijacked and it turns into this thread.

Perhaps it might help "lumpers" discuss these changes without having to worry about losing focus?

Originally Posted by JimC64
There's been mention of "should we have a lump section? here.......I've also been advised of a "flame war" within this thread / section.

Firstly, as far as I see and at this moment in time, I see no need for a lump section.....

There will always be differences in opinion on this, whether it should be 100% original and Jag through n through, or whether engine swaps are a good idea. There will always be the purists, no matter what and or if another section were to be created.

For now, I believe it will stay as is, but we're always open to looking at it again in the future.

Furthermore, having quickly read through the many posts here, I see no real flame war, no real nasty comments / remarks, just members passionate about "their" choices for their cars...

Thats part of what this and any forum is about.

With that said, please remember to rein in certain comments and avoid being rude / offensive as forum rules dictate, ie - treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated.

Thank you

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-08-2014)

Quick Reply: Who has dealt w/these guys?