XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Why you should avoid the dealership...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

On my '94 XJ6 I had similar work done at the dealership. The results were similar, however much neater. But there was electrical tape around certain wires. I wasnt too worried about it. However an earlier remark was made about electrical tape not being too heat resistant, and I can attest to that. Eventually the electrical tape lost its "stick" and I unwrapped it. To my surprise there was nothing underneath that was 'repair work'.

No idea why they even used the electrical tape in that spot (my best guess would be added protection of some sort) but it never bothered me because my car wasnt a concours car, it was a daily driver; I was satisfied that my problem was resolved.

I certainly dont think making a scene at the dealership is necessary, but perhaps ask if they can make the finished product a little neater.

Plus I think Im right in saying that the AJ16 had a cover to go over the coils. That would solve the problem quite quickly.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Your mistake was not inspecting the work as soon as it was done.If you had a problem with it,it needed addressed as soon as said problem turned up.This far down the line I wish you the best.What you are doing now is a great start.I am in Florida as well and my Jaguar will never roll in to that dealership.Or any other for that matter.

Your Jaguar does not have to go to the dealership to get a simple oil change or tune up or wheel alignment or heads replaced or electrical repairs.est. This day and age we can all go to the computer and find the best answers.Or common faults with what ever you are driving,pushing or pulling..

A GOOD self owned auto repair shop can do you wonders,if not a better job.And money a head for you.And a lifetime friend.Not a bs sells person that puts on his face while he straightens his tie.
You may be lucky that the car never caught fire.Good luck taking them to court for shabby repairs this far down the road.

I was self employed in commercial construction in the state of Florida for over 20 years and word of mouth meant everything.Some jobs take more time then expected,but you still give them your best work.And many many times you are even working out of your own pocket.Because of unforeseen complications.Most the time because of other trades or you are held up waiting on materials to hit the job sight.

We did not simple just quit the work or jerry rig it as many would have you do at a dealership..Or say go away.We can not handle the job.lol

We could have call backs months after a job was completed.They had up to one year by law for ANY complaint.Simple because a contractor/owner, now decides that they are not happy with this or that.Or you got held up because of another trade and could not 100% complete your work.Now you are expected to go travel 10 hours to do a one hours worth of work.

Word of mouth goes along way.Here in Florida word of mouth meant everything to me and my crew.It may in your neck of the woods as well..
That and the quality of work that you do.And who you do most work for.

I just wanted to add to this seeing as folks did not care for what i had said on page 2.
On my deal i needed my ride to be ready for a 1,200 mile drive the following morning.And a lot of folks depending on me to get from A to B,1,200 miles down the road.Other folks jobs with families on the line as well as my own.I can not show up for a new contract a day late simply because a dealership can not do the work that they are hired and paid to do!If they can not handle the job,I also say they best get another.They had me sitting all day waiting on them.Come closing time I had no other options to take my truck to.
On my deal they are lucky that they did not have some of my crew walk back to Mr. S.A.I. and pound salt out of him.For almost costing the life of them as well.This was my personal deal.Yes we are dirty construction workers.The folks that helped build the buildings for you to sit in your little cubical all day in,or the building for your kids go to school,or for you to go to work if work at a court house or have legal battles..Or even for when you are sick and dieing and need a hospital.This was my line of work.You can sit here and correct my spelling all day and make sure that your tie is straight when you stand back up.But don't raise your nose to me like you are Godlier then I.Or try to give me wise words for what I may have said.

Your dealership could if they wanted to be fair and had a real person"not all job scared" type service manager.Have him spend his time to have a work order for you wrote up,as far as a complaint.Unfinished work by them.They then pay one of the many S.A.I. want to be mechanics,shop time to make it how you feel it should look.They hate shop time.They are piece workers you know.Get it done as quick as you can to make the most.And with each job done they have a real good idea of what they can or can not get away with next job,calling for the same work order.
I have seen many folks here in Florida sit out front of a store,or even go as far as with white shoe polish put a dealership or car lots name down the side of the car and in big letters the word LEMON.And just park it out front.
Free country.We can say as we please.

If it was not for us pain in the *** customers,"count me forever out"
that simply want you,to do "your job".It sounds like you send us away rather then face it!!! You are the problem.

Talking about this smart *** statement below.Shouldn't you be working rather then playing big shot,big talker on your computer?

Jim, I've fired a few customers in my day, yes :-)

Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  19.3 KB

Dunno why the rant hemi?
Btw ....no one here will look down at you cos you are in construction....so what? I was a bin man many years ago......your money is as good as anyone elses, so rest assured there is no prejudice on that score!

Its your gung Ho attitude and screaming / ranting / cussing at the dealers that will have people wondering I'd say!

Going straight to WWIII without discussing, putting options / alternatives out there etc etc leaves you nowhere to go, and probably will end in you geting kicked out of the dealership ( after paying to get your car back / happy or not... possibly ) being told never to return ( it could be your next dealership is 2-3 hours away? ) and end up costing you a small fortune and not have the car repaired as it should be.......What have you gained???
Other than venting your frustration... nothing, absolutely nothing!

All I'm saying is that there's more than one way to skin a cat!
The dealers may not always be right, but they're not always wrong either.
I've seen them be very expensive and then surprisingly cheap on some parts?? Much much better to have them on side than against you every day of the week I'd say.

It sounds like you take a real pride in your work and are constanly surprised that others don't do the same....( I'm with you on that one )

Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by hemitwist
On my deal they are lucky that they did not have some of my crew walk back to Mr. S.A.I. and pound salt out of him.

Sounds llike "big talk, big shot" to me.

They may be lucky but your crew is, too. Unless you think that assault charges would have somehow been a good thing for them

Yes we are dirty construction workers.

So's my brother, I've heard about that industry my entire adult life.

The folks that helped build the buildings for you to sit in your little cubical all day in,or the building for your kids go to school,or for you to go to work if work at a court house or have legal battles..Or even for when you are sick and dieing and need a hospital.

Thanks for all of that. I hope you're not expecting a medal, though.

This was my line of work.You can sit here and correct my spelling all day and make sure that your tie is straight when you stand back up.But don't raise your nose to me like you are Godlier then I.Or try to give me wise words for what I may have said.

I don't wear a tie these days :-)

If it was not for us pain in the *** customers,"count me forever out"
that simply want you,to do "your job".It sounds like you send us away rather then face it!!! You are the problem.

I'm not 100% certain what you're driving at here. It sounds like you think the world owes you something because your recommended method of dealing with problems is to be a loud obnoxious ***.

If I have that wrong I apologize

Talking about this smart *** statement below.Shouldn't you be working rather then playing big shot,big talker on your computer?

Jim, I've fired a few customers in my day, yes :-)

"Big shot, big talker" ??? Pot, say hello to kettle :-)

The old saying "he can dish it out, but he can't take it" comes to mind here

Cheers
DD

Old 11-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I 've used alpine for a number of problems on my 2011 xj. I bought the car in new jersey and had it driven down here,about a month after I got it here I noticed a gasoline smell I called alpine up they sent a flat bed picked the car up brought it in found a leak in a small gas line and a loose tie rod fixed it up in a day or so they had to send to England for the gas line.A few weeks later the radio,blue tooth, nav everything froze they fixed it asap. As a matter of fact I brought it in today for new software. So I'm happy with their service either yup got them on a bad day or I got them on a good one

Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the rants may seem a little petty perhaps. Like the dealer or not, not every dealer is bad out there. They are hard working people too trying to provide for their families. No matter where you go you can almost always find a better price.

For me its like a good coffee shop. I go to a local coffee shop and I pay a little more for my coffee, than some other local places. However I enjoy the people there and the customer service. I know there are some people on this forum who work at Jaguar dealerships that would bend over backwards to provide excellent customer service. Think of the person on the other end that you are verbally assaulting. He may be having a bad day, perhaps going through a divorce, family illness etc. The last thing he probably wants to deal with is someone coming in and shouting at a problem they resolved correctly.

It is definitely better to work with them rather than against them.

Some people prefer the peace of mind of having a dealer work on their cars, while some would rather take theirs to a local mechanic, or work on it themselves. If your dealer isnt working out for you take your business elsewhere. You dont need to ruin his day, and yours, in the process.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

Very well put Alex.

Ok, I let this thread run its course against my better judgement, its now time to close it down.
Also a reminder that while debate and discussion are fine and essentially what the forum is all about, we will always have differences of opinion, that isn't a problem, but how we chose to discuss those differences and transfer that into words for all to see can be.
Please remember this and re read any posts before clicking submit!