XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Will our XJS be valuable in years to come?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I prefer the coupe over the convertible... I really like the lines of the car.
Agreed; the buttrusses really set it off IMO.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep. They are already "valuable." But expensive? I think their price will remain relative to their value, meaning a car is worth a mathematcal function of the cost of acquisition / rebuild and the opportunity costs of likewise enjoyment recieved. So our XJS will always be cross-shopped with millenial Maseratis, DB7s, other Jags and great GTs, some newer, some older.

The public recognize it and love it. Enthusiast know what it is and love it enough to buy one. But it's anyone's guess as to it's ability to attact the frenzied investor market and become a blue chip. I personally think it's better than many high-auction cars though.

The following 2 users liked this post by sportingheart:
paulyling (03-16-2015), ronbros (03-27-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:16 PM

Let me add to the cross-shopping aspect...

The XJS had long life. It was designed together with the XJ6 Series 1 back in the late 60s. Malcomb died in 1970! This car was postponed last-minute for the E Series 3 to launch the v12. Then it sold spanning 70s, 80s, and 90s. So the XJS is cross-shopped against a variety of competitors against many generations of cars, even millenials.

This is good and bad. Good in that it speaks volumes about how good of a GT it is and how timeless it is styled. Bad because there are a lot of competitors to outshine, keeping values down. The "real" comparables should be the Ferrari 365 & 400 2+2s, Porche 928, BMW 6, Mercedes SL & SLC, etc from the 70s to mid 80s. Hands down, the Jag does it for me there, but in later years it gets more complex. The Germans built v12s in the 90s, Japan tried harder, the Italians found new wealth, Ford pissed away money on Jag, and Tom Walkinshaw moonlighted at Aston Martin, taking an XJS chassis with him. All of which means the XJS has serious competition now as a collector car. The fact that it compares at all to 90s cars given its 70s design and tooling says a lot. Who knows? It's antiquated tech could ultimately be its selling point. Old computers that only run the engine are easier to upgrade now than most other 90s and later cars.

Last edited by sportingheart; 03-16-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: mispelling gramatics
paulyling (03-16-2015), ronbros (03-27-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by sportingheart
Yep. They are already "valuable." But expensive? I think their price will remain relative to their value, meaning a car is worth a mathematcal function of the cost of acquisition / rebuild and the opportunity costs of likewise enjoyment recieved. So our XJS will always be cross-shopped with millenial Maseratis, DB7s, other Jags and great GTs, some newer, some older.

The public recognize it and love it. Enthusiast know what it is and love it enough to buy one. But it's anyone's guess as to it's ability to attact the frenzied investor market and become a blue chip. I personally think it's better than many high-auction cars though.
I respectfully disagree with your statement " a car is worth a mathematical function of the cost of acquisition / rebuild and the opportunity costs of likewise enjoyment recieved. " From my prospective I see two types of collectors when it comes to automobiles.

First, you have the collector who is emotionally tied to a vehicle. They may have always wanted a particular vehicle because they saw them when they were young and said " some day I will have one of those for myself " or are simply drawn to a particular vehicle based on how that vehicle makes that person feel when driving etc. This type of collector is drawn to a vehicle emotionally but lets face it entry level price can play a big part in their initial decision to purchase one.

Second, you have the collector who views a vehicle as either a short term or long term investment. This type of collector is not emotionally attached to the vehicle per se but rather believes that the upward trend in the value of a particular vehicle will continue to rise and they are investing in that vehicle as a business transaction.

So here is the thing, there is a reason why a car like the first generation Camaro ( you can insert E-type here for another example ) has continued to rise in popularity as a collector car. The car is great looking, was popular from it's inception and a lot of people want one. So the average person keeps wanting one which drives up demand and value thereby causing the non emotional investor who see's the value continue to rise and now wants in on a piece of the action. There is a limited supply now but unlimited demand so voila-prices keep going up.

All of this is of course a very simple explanation but my point is you need demand and limited supply to drive up prices. The cars that were very popular at their inception will typically continue to be popular as time marches forward.

So based on this I do not feel that the XJS will begin to go crazy and we will see silly amounts being paid for one. The XJS is not the kind of car that the average person lies awake at night dreaming about. It will continue it's slow upward trend in value but in my opinion this is more a function of fewer good examples being available and the increasing cost to restore vehicles.

But here is my caveat. The XJS has a way of looking better as it gets older. Do not count this gem out as even though it was not super popular at it's inception and is a big heavy sports car, it is the last Lyons-Sayer inspired Jaguar and simply put just has a special presence about it. It is " low-wide-sexy " all rolled up in a very unique package.

The trend you already see with the convertibles being more valuable then coupes will continue with certain limited made examples like manuals, TRW's, Koenigs etc. being the most valuable.

The following 6 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
buddyluv (03-19-2015), Flint Ironstag (03-26-2015), G Man (08-18-2021), o1xjr (03-21-2015), orangeblossom (03-24-2015), paulyling (03-16-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Hmmm. I have been told that the Jag XJS is "High Maintenance".
So is my wife and I think she is worth more than I can imagine.
I have the same opinion of her 94 XJS 2+2.
And I work very hard at keeping them both around.
How lucky can a guy get to have 2 beautiful treasures in their life !

The following 2 users liked this post by scarbro2011:
paulyling (03-20-2015), ronbros (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

I completely agree!

paulyling (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,987 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by scarbro2011
Hmmm. I have been told that the Jag XJS is "High Maintenance".
So is my wife and I think she is worth more than I can imagine.
I have the same opinion of her 94 XJS 2+2.
And I work very hard at keeping them both around.
How lucky can a guy get to have 2 beautiful treasures in their life !
Surely that should be 3 beautiful treasures or doesn't the wife count?

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
G Man (08-18-2021), paulyling (03-22-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Steve M
Surely that should be 3 beautiful treasures or doesn't the wife count?
I took it as he was talking just about his XJS and his wife in his example so that was his two treasures.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
paulyling (03-22-2015), ronbros (03-27-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Just like any older vehicle, the XJS can have issues if you do not maintain it correctly... Once sorted, if you stay on top of the fluids, you should be good to go. I also believe the maintained lower mileage vehicles will gradually increase in value. Its getting hard to find affordable older classic vehicles that have the style and looks of the XJS. So many 70-90's cars have appreciated in value, that I think collectors/enthusiasts will be looking hard at Jaguar XJS's...

Last edited by XJSFan; 03-22-2015 at 09:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XJSFan:
paulyling (03-22-2015), ronbros (03-27-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 PM

Also... that 115k number shouldn't scare anyone away. It means more parts! And if you break it down by category, such as pre-HE, HE, facelift, coupe, convertible, cabriolet, right or left drive, country of sale, 3.6, 4.0, AJ16, 5.3, 6.0, or TWR, etc, etc... there probably aren't many like the one you've dreamt of or own.

Example: I have a pre-facelift 5.3 factory (as opposed to H&E) convertible. Only years for that are 89, 90, 91. Probably only 15k made worldwide in that. How many in US originally? How many left? How many others like me who want one now?

paulyling (03-24-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been looking around and tinkering with the idea of an 4.0 XJS for a mid life crisis car. At 49 I see a lot of Baby Boomers with them for sale or ones from estates the kids are trying hard to get rid of. I don't see much interest from the 30 and 40 somethings and a high supply. I see cars languishing on Craig's list and Ebay, with fairly low auction sales prices when compared to asking prices and blue book values.

As a potential buyer that is both good and bad news. All the horror stories of Lucas electrics and V 12 problems have an impact. These cars have all passed the 20 year old threshold as well. If I buy one I have no expectation that it will ever be a classic. It will have to stand on its' merits as a car alone. I like the Grand Touring nature of the car, but most guys I know want more of a roadster. That is tough when there are a lot of newer roadsters out there in the $7-$8K range that just might appreciate (BMW Z, Chrysler Crossfire.) I am pretty sure I will stick with the GT Jag, but I want one nice and I want one cheap! Fix it up, enjoy it, don't think about return on investment as the clunkers hit the junk yard and prices stay flat at best.

The following 2 users liked this post by DBauerVDP:
paulyling (03-25-2015), reedreed (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

If you aren't fixated on the V12 the six cylinder cars can't be beat...and I've had both.

paulyling (03-28-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by DBauerVDP
I have been looking around and tinkering with the idea of an 4.0 XJS for a mid life crisis car. At 49 I see a lot of Baby Boomers with them for sale or ones from estates the kids are trying hard to get rid of. I don't see much interest from the 30 and 40 somethings and a high supply. I see cars languishing on Craig's list and Ebay, with fairly low auction sales prices when compared to asking prices and blue book values.

As a potential buyer that is both good and bad news. All the horror stories of Lucas electrics and V 12 problems have an impact. These cars have all passed the 20 year old threshold as well. If I buy one I have no expectation that it will ever be a classic. It will have to stand on its' merits as a car alone. I like the Grand Touring nature of the car, but most guys I know want more of a roadster. That is tough when there are a lot of newer roadsters out there in the $7-$8K range that just might appreciate (BMW Z, Chrysler Crossfire.) I am pretty sure I will stick with the GT Jag, but I want one nice and I want one cheap! Fix it up, enjoy it, don't think about return on investment as the clunkers hit the junk yard and prices stay flat at best.
I'm 43, but understand you. The good news is that I live near a college town, and the students there stare at it regularly. So, that just means it can't depreciate further.

DBauerVDP (04-06-2015), paulyling (03-28-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

One of the things I like about Jaguars, they are not "cookie cutter" type of cars.
I see dozens of BMW's, Mercedes, VW's and volumes of Japanese and
Korean model cars on the streets.
But the cars that really turn the heads are the Jaguars.

I know people who own and collect American cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's.
But, they don't use them as a daily driver. SO, when those cars do go out it is generally to special events or shows.
Our Jaguars are special in that most of us enjoy them every day.
The real value of the XJS is we enjoy them every day!

P O R (Press On Regardless)

paulyling (03-28-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by scarbro2011
One of the things I like about Jaguars, they are not "cookie cutter" type of cars.
I see dozens of BMW's, Mercedes, VW's and volumes of Japanese and
Korean model cars on the streets.
But the cars that really turn the heads are the Jaguars.

I know people who own and collect American cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's.
But, they don't use them as a daily driver. SO, when those cars do go out it is generally to special events or shows.
Our Jaguars are special in that most of us enjoy them every day.
The real value of the XJS is we enjoy them every day!

P O R (Press On Regardless)
I know that one of the things I really like about the XJS is it stands out in the crowd. Who wants a special car that just looks like everything else on the road?

I have said for years that the XJS does not usually come out at the top of any list when compared to other vehicles similar to it, but as a complete package it is very hard to beat.

For example, the interior on the XJS is not the most ergonomic in it's class but at the same time has a look and character that makes you feel as if you are in a Rolls Royce sports car.

Another example is the ride of the XJS-plenty of cars that handle better in tight corners but few give the smooth world class ride that the XJS does.

The XJS to me is like the '55 T Bird to the Corvette of it's time. Sure the Corvette was faster and sportier looking but the T-Bird was elegant sporty. The '55 T-Bird made a statement about it's owner just by it's presence.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
DabsJag (03-27-2015), paulyling (03-28-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roger95
If you aren't fixated on the V12 the six cylinder cars can't be beat...and I've had both.
I am looking at the 6. The 12 is way too scary for a growler neophyte like myself. I have test driven a 6 and never been in a 12. That said there are a lot more V12's out their for sale, at least locally, but it seems that way everywhere. The V 12 seems like the maintenace needs are just like owning a Spitfire and I am no where as looking or flush with cash as Brad Pitt.

The following 2 users liked this post by DBauerVDP:
paulyling (03-28-2015), Roger95 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by sportingheart
I'm 43, but understand you. The good news is that I live near a college town, and the students there stare at it regularly. So, that just means it can't depreciate further.
Hopefully the youngin's will wise up some day and get rid of those annoying pocket rockets! Until then prices could be a bit flat.

paulyling (03-28-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I know that one of the things I really like about the XJS is it stands out in the crowd. Who wants a special car that just looks like everything else on the road?

I have said for years that the XJS does not usually come out at the top of any list when compared to other vehicles similar to it, but as a complete package it is very hard to beat.

For example, the interior on the XJS is not the most ergonomic in it's class but at the same time has a look and character that makes you feel as if you are in a Rolls Royce sports car.

Another example is the ride of the XJS-plenty of cars that handle better in tight corners but few give the smooth world class ride that the XJS does.

The XJS to me is like the '55 T Bird to the Corvette of it's time. Sure the Corvette was faster and sportier looking but the T-Bird was elegant sporty. The '55 T-Bird made a statement about it's owner just by it's presence.

I think an XJS will be the perfect mid life crisis car that can sit in the garage until the weekends or good weather but still be a back up every day car if needed. Great style and emotion do matter. I just can't get excited by a Cadillac Allante or lord forbid, an old Mercedes 500 SL. One of those sold on TV at Barret Jackson for $9K and the next week I saw three adds that were basically saying Great Deal! Please take mine for $7K! Talk about depreciation!

It is funny to watch those shows and their reactions and comments that are not edited out. The Merc got panned for reliability but so too did the Jags on Lucas electrics. When the nice Bentley turbo went for $18K one of the announcers asked "what do you think of that" and the response was edited out. So much for the Rollers. Even Jag lover Jay Leno mentioned on one of his videos the dark days of British Leyland and the time it took Jaguar to recover, but he only deals in the high end. With friends like Clarkson and James May, who needs enemies when it comes to British cars of the seventies to mid nineties as represented on Top Gear.

That is why any expectations of XJS "classic-ness" and big money have been dashed from my soul. Only E types and before will be classics for the foreseeable future. I will be able to relax with my ninetysomething XJS. Go ahead road rager, take off my bumper, this ain't a classic and I got an airbag and antilock brakes.

Oh - I see and XK8 convertible is falling into my price range, Should I go over to that read that forum or is it scarier than this one?

paulyling (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by DBauerVDP
I think an XJS will be the perfect mid life crisis car that can sit in the garage until the weekends or good weather but still be a back up every day car if needed. Great style and emotion do matter. I just can't get excited by a Cadillac Allante or lord forbid, an old Mercedes 500 SL.

Oh - I see and XK8 convertible is falling into my price range, Should I go over to that read that forum or is it scarier than this one?

I would encourage anyone to check out the XK8 as a very viable option to the XJS. It is a Jaguar after all and in many ways offers a lot for the money. I looked at both and for me it just came down to the look of the XJS , character and rarity.

The XK8 still looks very modern to my eye and strange enough I really did not care for the side profile of the XK8 as it just seemed heavy or thick looking to me in the quarter panel area. This of course just comes down to personal likes and dislikes but to me the XJS convertible really looks balanced.

The XJS has a special character about it. Not sure if this is partly due to not seeing many out being driven or if the Lyons-Sayer legacy just adds that something special to the car. I do know that I have had people walk across parking lots to check out the car and when I am at a car show with XK8's the XJS still gets the attention.

I also wanted a car that had a unique look. Did not want something that you see everyday being driven and almost every day I see a XK8 driven around town. The nice thing about the last few years of the XJS is you get a very reliable package with dual air bags etc. , yet the car still has design elements dating back to the 1970's .

As mentioned earlier on this thread there were a good number of XJS' produced but few nice ones are still around and the list gets very short when say you are looking for example at a AJ16 convertible in a certain color combo and condition. Yes if you look nationwide there appears to be a good share pop up for sale but in truth very few really nice examples and many of the nice examples are seeing some healthy asking prices.

We are spoiled in North America as we got the biggest share of them sent here but in many parts of the world it is getting harder and more expensive to get the XJS you really want. Just ask the guys in places like Australia or England how much a pristine low mileage '95 or '96 convertible will cost these days.

The following 3 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
DabsJag (03-30-2015), DBauerVDP (04-06-2015), paulyling (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 04:29 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

IMO i think the XJS was the last of the "classic look" cars Jaguar made.

I really like the XK8 myself, but it definitely looks quite modern (XK8) even today.

DabsJag (03-30-2015)

Quick Reply: Will our XJS be valuable in years to come?