XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Will our XJS be valuable in years to come?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts
The following users liked this post:
paulyling (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:45 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

me likie very much...

whats involved in fitting one on?

Does this at all help air intake or is it purely aesthetic?

Is that the same type of mesh as on the XK8/XKR? (Don't mean the shape)

Old 04-29-2015, 07:05 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

The more original the car is the more it is worth as a classic car. Remember your trying to get to 100 points, If you watch the auctions on TV you will see how cars are valued. Last year a Ferrari went for $33,000,000. It is not unusual to see million dollar cars regularly. US watch Velocity channel. UK don't know.

paulyling (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
me likie very much...

whats involved in fitting one on?

Does this at all help air intake or is it purely aesthetic?

Is that the same type of mesh as on the XK8/XKR? (Don't mean the shape)
Can't imagine it affects airflow much. I think it's simply remove old grille and replace. Need to find a way to refit the V12 badge though.

One of the guys here made their own mesh grille from the hardware store. I forget whose it is (sorry!) - red XJS coupe though. Hopefully they'll chime in.

paulyling (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Heh Reinaldo would love to see some pics of your 1994's mesh grill mate.
Sure, mate. Here you go.

BTW, this is not one of those pre-cut, ready to use grilles that you see advertised. It is the heavier mesh used by Jaguar of late, all custom cut and custom fit, practically sculptured together to the car. I don't even want to think of rear ending somebody, destroying it and having to do it all over again.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Will our XJS be valuable in years to come?-cimg2050-reduced.jpg   Will our XJS be valuable in years to come?-cimg2062-80.jpg   Will our XJS be valuable in years to come?-cimg2180-reduced.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
Flint Ironstag (04-30-2015), Mkii250 (04-29-2015), paulyling (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 05:00 PM

Very nice Reinaldo!

Old 04-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Sure, mate. Here you go.

BTW, this is not one of those pre-cut, ready to use grilles that you see advertised. It is the heavier mesh used by Jaguar of late, all custom cut and custom fit, practically sculptured together to the car. I don't even want to think of rear ending somebody, destroying it and having to do it all over again.

Cheers,
That looks great with the painted headlamp and front bonnet trim, don't think it would look as good with those items in chrome.

paulyling (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,987 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Hijack!

paulyling (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 05:53 PM

Yeah might start another thread for that nice mesh grille

Here it is:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...5/#post1218102

I'm thinking i might get me one ☺

Last edited by paulyling; 04-30-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

I was checking XJS for sale ads a few days ago and Hyman LTD has an interesting ad. It is for a sand colored '95 4.0 coupe with a light interior. It looks like a very nice, well cared for, clean car with 97K miles...for $19,500.00. To be sure, asking price and final out the door price can be two different things. A year ago no one would have had the nerve to ask such a price for such a car. However, with the prices of S1 E Types close to and in some cases surpassing $200K and S2 and S3 E Types running from a floor of $65K to well over $100K a clean, well maintained, late XJS is becoming a very attractive alternative $$ wise, which has been my position these past five years or so.

Last edited by Roger95; 05-01-2015 at 11:23 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Roger95:
orangeblossom (05-03-2015), paulyling (05-01-2015), Rick25 (05-03-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DabsJag
That looks great with the painted headlamp and front bonnet trim, don't think it would look as good with those items in chrome.
Absolutely right! It is actually the synergy from both that makes the impact:
Heavy, chromed mesh (it really shines) surrounded by nothing but green and the effect from the painted headlights trim and hood trim is incredible. It looks so clean by comparison and, somehow, it makes the front look more modern, as well. The big kick is that the pictures don't make it justice. Seeing the actual car is far more impressive than any picture, really. But, if I had kept any of the nearby chrome, like you said, it wouldn't be the same, it just couldn't.

Cheers,

Old 05-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

question; does that make it a modified car , now that OEM has been changed?

Old 05-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
To me it is an obvious answer. Any time you alter something that is not original to the car it is a modification.

The key is how extensive a modification as changing the wheels or something like the grille is easy to change back if someone buys your car. On the other hand cutting off a roof or putting a GM V8 for example is not easy to reverse and can greatly limit the pool of prospective buyers if you ever decide to sell.

A good example that comes to mind is the amount of older Corvettes that were extensively modified over the years. I dream about the older Corvettes like a stock 1958 but not interested in a flared out heavily modified 1958 Corvette as to me that takes away from the beauty of the car. Just a personal thing but I know I am not alone in this perspective and resale values bare this out.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
paulyling (05-02-2015), ronbros (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

if that is so, why do well done resto-mods bring more money than stock corvettes?

at least at the big auctions?

also it seems the old farts like original, and the new young guys like restos!

resto is an old car with modern mechanicals, plus A/C ,power brakes, P/S, modern sound systems!

Old 05-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

if that is so, why do well done resto-mods bring more money than stock corvettes?

at least at the big auctions?

also it seems the old farts like original, and the new young guys like restos!

resto is an old car with modern mechanicals, plus A/C ,power brakes, P/S, modern sound systems!
I was not aware for example that a 1958 Corvette fitted with a newer V8 etc. would bring more at an auction then a all stock example. If that is the case may have something to do with the fact that the GM V8 has been around for such a long time.

May have something to do with rarity as you sure do not see many 1st generation Camaros at the car shows anymore that have not had newer LS1 set ups put in them. Who knew they made so many RS and SS packages on them but just about everyone you see now is made up to make you believe they are the real thing.

It will be interesting to see the future of car collecting as I suspect you are right in what the younger kids are looking for. The yellow and black XJS that was lowered and shown at the Tokyo car show recently was actually brought to my attention by a 21 year old co-worker 2-3 weeks ago.

Makes you wonder what will be bringing the big money 30 years from now at the big auctions.

The following 3 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
paulyling (05-03-2015), ronbros (05-03-2015), yarpos (05-04-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Ronbros, you've opened the Pandora box...LOL
It seems to me that the word modified has different meanings, depending where on the planet you are. Like, in the UK it seems to mean a whole car classification, "modified". I see this a lot on the UK/Jaguar mags that I read, although the word there is mostly used to imply some kind of a performance improvement arrangement. But, here in America I hardly ever see the word "modified" on the ads. For a Chevy of some kind it may say "Big block Chevy and new, tuned exhaust" (as in neither of which you'd get if you buy a stock car), etc. but never "modified", unless you're referring to "modified a section of the exhaust pipe for clearance", which won't necessarily throw the car into a section for "modified car ads". Besides, most alterations go towards a better version of whatever is being changed and it typically means improvement and that's how potential buyers see it. Except, maybe for something more radical like re-shaping of body panels, which may alter the original shape that the car is traditionally known for, but that could easily make the car more desirable to specific potential buyers (Ronbros' XJS comes to mind...).

In the particular case of mesh grilles, jeez, people have been putting mesh grilles on X-Type Jags of all cars (Jaguar's original intention for the mesh grilles was to identify supercharged cars), does that place an X-Type into the "modified cars" section? Then, a mesh grille is just one of the alterations people choose to incorporate into their kitties. Just think of how many more exist out there.

This is really a Pandora box, here.
Which of the following actions place an XJS in the "modified" section?

> Quad lights?
> Leaper?
> Non-OEM wheels?
> Non-OEM tires?
> Non-OEM front grille?
> Non-OEM fog lights?
> Non-OEM headlights/lamps?
> Non-OEM paint color (code)?
> Non-OEM ski slope design? (Cup holders?)
> Non-OEM cigar lighter?
> Non-OEM radio/CD changer?
> Non-OEM air intake, including air filter?
> Non-OEM engine mods?
> Etc.

The question is, what % of XJS cars owned by this forum's members are not affected at all by above's list?

Now, if this was a Ferrari forum I could understand the importance of sticking to the OEM. Why? VALUE:MONEY, that is why. Putting non-OEM wheels, or anything from above's list on a Ferrari would mean a very stupid drop in value for silly reasons and, if selling, it would certainly mean leaving money on the table.

I love watching the car auction shows on TV and it kills me to see the ridiculous prices that XJS cars fetch. It's pitiful, especially when you love the one you own. So, in the overall scheme of things, the value differences between given XJS' -OEM or not- is absolutely minimal and in the case that you were to sell it you'd need to find the proverbial needle in the haystack of a buyer who must have the OEM radio, OEM wheels and so forth, which is kind of weird: demanding 100% OEM on something you can buy "cheaper by the dozen". It's a strange situation. I'd say it's pride.

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
paulyling (05-03-2015), ronbros (05-03-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

In my opinion the XJS Coupe is one of the most esthically pleasing designs and should not be changed or modified. It brings pleasure to the senses as the modern vehicles do violence to the eye!
When I think of modifications I am not thinking of chopping or chanelling or mating different cars. I think of devastating modifications like placing a Chevrolet V8 in an E-Type. If you want to kill value that is the approach!

The following 2 users liked this post by afterburner1:
paulyling (05-04-2015), Rick25 (05-05-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 05:55 PM

I have been wondering of late...and not to digress too much from the original topic, but what car would you think comes close to the XJS for looks?

For example. My 1985. I have been looking at cars of the same era and there really isnt a car that looks similar to the XJS, with it's butresses and long low look etc. Same as with the E-Type in its era.

Now you look at cars from the 30's or maybe American Cars in the 50's and some look similar. Especially today cars look all the bloody same.

Maybe this is another factor that will help make the XJS valuable later on down the track. Its "uniqueness"

Thoughts?

Old 05-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I have been wondering of late...and not to digress too much from the original topic, but what car would you think comes close to the XJS for looks?

For example. My 1985. I have been looking at cars of the same era and there really isnt a car that looks similar to the XJS, with it's butresses and long low look etc. Same as with the E-Type in its era.

Now you look at cars from the 30's or maybe American Cars in the 50's and some look similar. Especially today cars look all the bloody same.

Maybe this is another factor that will help make the XJS valuable later on down the track. Its "uniqueness"

Thoughts?
Just because I am a fan , I think the BMW 635 and 850s of that era are at least equal for looks. Its a very subjective area so to each there own I guess. They all have something about them that the cookie cutter cars today do not have e.g. my wife has trouble telling some modern Jags sedans from a commodore or a falcon.

I know its sacrilege, especially here, but the E type is something I have never gotten in regard to aesthetics. Just shows how different peoples perception of looks can be.

I dont imagine the XJS will we a valuable car in the future, it seems to be more an interesting/enthusiasts car , rather than being iconic like the E type. But just one blokes opinion and time will tell.

Last edited by yarpos; 05-04-2015 at 06:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by yarpos:
paulyling (05-04-2015), ronbros (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

yarpos, so true," different strokes for different folks ".

a case in point, couple weeks ago, local car guy gathering, two cars side by side, one a 1968 Mustang coupe, beside it a 1972 Mustang coupe, me being a GM guy for many years , thought the 72 model was a far better looking car, the other mustang guys muscle head types, said no-no,68 is better!

but after some young guys walked around the cars,said YES absolutly the 72 has more pleasing lines!!

of course money wise , the 68 has the value.

but thats because they relate to the era they grew up in!

here is one that some years back at a BIG car show, this elderly lady, asked me a question; how can an old worn out car be worth more than a NEW car?

i didnt know what to reply!, except mam' that is a much to logical question!

The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
paulyling (05-04-2015), yarpos (05-05-2015)

Quick Reply: Will our XJS be valuable in years to come?