XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Wiper motor woes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:29 PM
Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Wiper motor woes!

So one of the things that doesn’t work on my xjs are the wipers, I figure because of the drain tubes having been clogged and the motor sitting in water for who knows how long. I finally got to dig into it and pulled the assembly out. I opened up the motor and yep. I think that is my problem. I tried cleaning it up, but it still doesn’t work. Luckily someone one ebay had a complete assembly including wiper arms and caps and sprayers for $125 shipped! Needless to say I snagged it. Hopefully that’ll do it!

Old 11-30-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Yuck!

Yeah, I'd say a replacement motor is in order

Cheers
DD

Old 11-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,036 Likes on 1,702 Posts

That looks like it's been on the window of a submarine!

Old 12-09-2018, 05:33 PM

Figured I'd update. The assembly came in and, apart from one of the mesh cover bolts being snapped off in the hole, it looks great! I plugged it in and yep the studs move! I installed it and thought it was weird that the wiper arm was bent the other way, but oh well! Needless to say I put it all together and hit the switch and "scatchchchhchchchc!" Oh no! I hit the key and slapped my forehead! Apparently it was off a right hand drive because they went down! I flipped them over and figured ill just run them as they are. No big scratches phew! Of course then I decided to try my washer. Nope no fluid! Argh! Tore it all apart again and tried a few things. Still nothing then I had my son hit the switch while I watched. Sure enough, down at the radiator washer fluid comes blowing out! I look and apparently at some point there was a brake line or oil leak and it got down on the hose and melted it! So I figure Ill look at the assembly while its out and see what makes it right hand drive.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:00 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

It may not be a right hand drive unit. Jaguar had the wiper blades park on both sides for left hand drive cars. When you look at pictures of other XJS cars you will see the wipers park on both sides. I would prefer to have mine park on the passenger side to keep the wiper arm out of my line of sight while not in use. there is a difference in the wiper arms for right and left side parking. Right side parking has a slight bend in the end of the arms to the right so the blades park flat (one is 10 degrees and the other is 3 degrees). The reverse is true for left side parking the bend is to the left.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:08 AM

Ah ok cool. Yes I did notice that the bend was opposite, but the motors sticker said "LH". I didn't realize they had them on left or right for left hand drive! Thanks! I told the inspection guy about it the other day and he kinda stammered a little then said "well I guess as long as it keeps the window clean it should be ok" lol

Old 12-16-2018, 07:14 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Timeisrelative
Ah ok cool. Yes I did notice that the bend was opposite, but the motors sticker said "LH". I didn't realize they had them on left or right for left hand drive! Thanks! I told the inspection guy about it the other day and he kinda stammered a little then said "well I guess as long as it keeps the window clean it should be ok" lol
I thought just your motor was rusted out. Curious why you would have needed to replace or keep the the new linkage knowing now it isn't the same side you need. Doesn't just a new motor just bolt in to the original mount and keep the original linkage intact?

Old 12-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

I just spent the day restoring a replacement wiper assembly from my 85 parts car. Also Lucas, as my original was. Grease had turned to black sticky paste, rotor lightly rusted and a pool of rust on the brush board. Now it’s every bit As shiny as it was when new. Greased and oiled and cleaned. It even had an intact plastic cover. I now have exactly that slightly-slower-than-expected OEM performance!

The engineering on on the cable drive wipers is really something. Should be good for another 20 years if the cover lasts.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:03 PM

I just bought the whole assembly and figured it would be "easier" to just replace it as a whole. I had thought about just swapping the motor, but I didn't really see many "known good" motors for a reasonable price. We'll see, I kinda like them on the "wrong side" for now lol

Old 12-17-2018, 05:04 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Timeisrelative
I just bought the whole assembly and figured it would be "easier" to just replace it as a whole. I had thought about just swapping the motor, but I didn't really see many "known good" motors for a reasonable price. We'll see, I kinda like them on the "wrong side" for now lol
I meant can't you just take the motor you just bought and remove it from the assembly you just bought and install it on the original linkage assembly that was originally on your car so that you still retain your original assembly on the "correct side" but with the new motor now on it.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

I see that in this post we’re looking at a later wiper assembly. I don’t have an XJS that has other than the Lucas unit, but I suspect my question applies to all of the supplied wiper assemblies used.

What makes a wiper unit a left or right park unit?

Jaguar simply would not have two distinct solutions made. I suspect that there is only ONE Lucas wiper unit. I also suspect that the only difference in the left-right installs is wiring. No alternate mounting-backwards or alternate transmission casing.

The Lucas unit could operate its electric motor running in either direction internally. The only requirement is that the park switch work in either direction. This is what led me to believe that there is only one unit for either installation direction.

The park switch in the Lucas unit is pressed by a metal, ramped protrusion on the driven gear. This protrusion has a ramp on both sides, despite the fact that it can never strike the switch from more than one direction.

So, my assumption is that a wiring change, and reinstallation of the arms is all that is required to make a right-parking unit into a left-parking unit and vice-versa. I only assume this same setup makes sense in the other branded units as well.

What I don’t know yet is how to reverse the wiring on a motored with two positive connections ( fast, slow ) and one ground.

Anyone try try this? Anyone already know that I’m wrong?

Old 12-27-2018, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by carsnplanes
I meant can't you just take the motor you just bought and remove it from the assembly you just bought and install it on the original linkage assembly that was originally on your car so that you still retain your original assembly on the "correct side" but with the new motor now on it.
I did understand what you meant, and yes I could have done that, and may still do that in the summer depending. At the time of install I was more interested in "just getting them to work". After realizing they ran from left to right I thought it was kinda cool. Lol. I may also, wife permitting lol, take the motor off the old one to my local shop to have rebuilt. Not sure yet. Also I agree that its probably just the way the wiring is, so its possible that swapping motors mayend up making my old unit run backwards too, but again I didn't look super hard into it