XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The work begins_89 back to Life_ Anti-Lock Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 06:55 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts
Default The work begins_89 back to Life_ Anti-Lock Brakes

I got the BRG '89 coupe to its new home and up onto a lift last weekend. Appears the parking brake or rear brakes were locked onto the rotors. Front wheels only turned very reluctantly.
This weekend the fluids are getting drained: gas, oil, radiator, transmission, and brakes.
Calipers are all getting removed. I have all new calipers on order and the new brake line hoses have already arrived.
This car has ALB.

Anything special I need to be aware of with the ALBs? Any tests to see it the system is working correctly? Is there a special drain or bleed process?
JOB #1 is to ensure the car is Safe to put on the road. I absolutely do not want any surprises when that time comes. Thx

Old 07-01-2023, 01:02 PM

Update: Drained the oil (sludge) and new filter.
Prep'd the front calipers and shocks for removal, i.e. got the bolts free.
Removed the lower metal grill and lower valance panel.
Cleaned out around oil cooler a bit but know that going in from the top by removing the hood, radiator cover panel, and radiator will be necessary to get it totally clean. This will make replacing the belts, fan, and hoses easier also.

What I learned today:
The '89 seems to only have two Zerk grease fittings, one on each rear axle housing. My '87 has 12-14 grease points.

Ny next big challenges:
1. Can I change the rear brake calipers and hose without removing the IRL?
2. Efficiently draining the gas and swirl tanks without making a mess

Old 07-01-2023, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by BradsCat
Update: Drained the oil (sludge) and new filter.
Prep'd the front calipers and shocks for removal, i.e. got the bolts free.
Removed the lower metal grill and lower valance panel.
Cleaned out around oil cooler a bit but know that going in from the top by removing the hood, radiator cover panel, and radiator will be necessary to get it totally clean. This will make replacing the belts, fan, and hoses easier also.

What I learned today:
The '89 seems to only have two Zerk grease fittings, one on each rear axle housing. My '87 has 12-14 grease points.

Ny next big challenges:
1. Can I change the rear brake calipers and hose without removing the IRL?
2. Efficiently draining the gas and swirl tanks without making a mess
There should be four Zerks on the inner lower rear control arms, under the diff. They are accessed thru holes in the bottom tie plate on the IRS cage.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,078 Posts

BradsCat,

DO NOT let brake fluid get pushed back up the lines when you press back caliper pistons etc. ALWAYS undo the caliper bleed nipples and attach a tube to collect expelled brake fluid when pushing back the pistons. If fluid gets pushed back up to the ABS valve block, it can disturb micro-sediment which can jam the valves and have disastrous consequences.

I would suggest that you need to carefully flush through the brake fluid if it is more than 2 years old. Syphon as much old fluid out of the reservoir and then fill the reservoir with clean fluid. Flush the fluid through to the rear brakes using the Teves bleed procedure. You must do it this way as you have to move the fluid through the pump and accumulator, into the Actuation Unit, then to the valve block and then to the rear wheel circuits. Then do the front circuits. If you're not aware of the Teves procedure. post back here and I'll detail it.

Good luck with the recommissioning.

Paul

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 08:02 AM
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Asdrewq (07-05-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 06:31 AM

Paul, Long John,

Thanks. This car has been sitting for a long time so a complete brake system flush is definitely necessary. I have removed the brake lines to the front calipers (did not force the calipers back).
Will be removing the rear brake lines shortly and then dropping the rear to replace the rotors and calipers there as well.

I am NOT familiar with the Teves procedure so yes please send the info. I will keep you posted on progress. This weekend promises to be a big effort with new shocks, suspension bushings, calipers and rotors.