XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Worksheet paper that might help many members.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 05:42 AM
Received 10,476 Likes on 6,918 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggleton
G'day Grant, many thanks for sharing your knowledge, and the associated PDFs.
My '88 XJ-S V12 has began to suffer many of the faults you point out and I have embarked on a restoration, which until today after reading your Worksheet was a tad haphazzard. I have ordered the rear subassembly parts from SNG UK (Steve Snape provided a helpful list, a great bloke) having originally dissassembled the rear end to fix a brake warning light: so I wil replace/renew universals, caliper kit, diff seals etc as advised. I did get the new rotors and pads from Supercheap, as they are a bit heavy to post from the UK. I was wondering if you had a link/reference for the shocks and spings that I might use in Australia to again save freight costs.
To add to the refit, I recently blew the pinion seal on the power steering ram, which saw me arrive home in a cloud of power steering fluid burning off the exhaust; so as advised I will drop out the front sub frame and refurbish that whilst I am at it. I approach the spring removal with some trepidation so any advice (other than a visit to Pedders) much appreciated.
I did replace the radiator with an aluminum unit when I was posted to Darwin two years ago, but am keen to get a reference for the Ford radiator fans you mentioned in the Worksheet as again my yellow fan is very cracked.
I will try and keep a thread going on my restoration and pass on any hints or tips for you to confirm or expand on.
Cheers, Chris
Chris,

Thank you.

Welcome to the Forums. When time allows, please do an Intro in teh New Members Area, it keeps the Boss happy.

Shockers, I have used KYB and Gabriel.
KYB is #551022.
Springs, NEVER replaced springs on any of my Jags, never had an issue with them, and the quality and spec available today is pure crap compared to OE. Ride quality is gone sadly. Same with shockers, fancy adjustable blah, blah, ruin that same Grand Tourer ride.
My Gabriel book, in the shed, is hiding somewhere, and all I found tonight was a bloody Joe Blake, I hate snakes. Tomorrow I will look some more for that catalogue. Joe should be gone??
Front spring removal. I had at the time the Jaguar Tool, so lucky me. Threaded rod, LONG nuts, and that is safe. A few threads on the XJS Tech Section on that. Greg in France has a good write up on just that. Be bloody careful with that front spring, and common sense, Navy man so LOTS of common sense, is the key, and take your time.

Efans. Oh dear, the Falcon fan pack I used way back is NLA from Ford (was a Bosch Germany unit), and the chinese copies are rubbish (polite for the Forums). A Scottish member used an X Type fan pack, stated it fit up simply and cheap as chips in the UK. The options for Efans now is endless, and a quick wander around a wrecking yard, with the radiator width and height written down, and a tape measure, should have you sorted.
A thread in the XJS section would be great, and give the Aussie perspective, which is very different to the ROW.
Keeping these archives topped up is the only the followers are going to keep these beast alive when we are gone.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (12-16-2021), Rivguy (12-17-2021)
Old 01-02-2022, 02:03 AM
Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Eggleton. Hi mate. I am new here to and am currently restoring a 1988 XJS coupe. I couldn't afford or find a cheap convertible so good on you. Also I wish I had a shed and hoist like yours, mine is on jack stands. Maybe we should set up a current XJS restoration thread. I'd be keen to share my experience with engine, rear and front suspension, fuel tank, LED light conversion, instrument rebuild, relay and light electrics, upholstery tips, issues and findings etc. Good luck BTW. Once you get into them they are quite simple once you understand them.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (01-02-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 06:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

G'day Lachy, many thanks for your message. Yes I was lucky to find the convertible when I did, but as mentioned it is in need of some TLC after I have had it for nearly 10 years. I have already done a fair bit to the car, but I'm waiting for the panel beater to be able to paint the car before I start reassembling the interior properly.
To date I have: restored the door cards, got new skins for the seats, obtained some new wood panels, repaired the convertible hood open and closing hydraulic pump, got all new door rubber seals, and got some refurbished rubber beam covers (bumper bar),.
In the engine bay I have replaced the fuel injectors, replaced the ignition coils, new exhaust system, and all the engine work described when in Darwin including new: cam chain, tensioner, water pump; rear main oill seal, torque converter oil seal. I have also replaced seals in the diff, but they need doing again and I'll get them done when I drop the rear cage out, to do the brakes, the diff still sounds very rumbly and generally nothing like my DSeries 1 Daimler which is as quiet as it is supposed to be. I will try and remember to take more photos as i go and explain any issues and solutions as I encounter them. I have a fair few pictures of redoing the door skins so I'll post them once I have uploaded from my phone to the laptop. Cheers, Chris

Grant Francis (01-05-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 04:00 AM
Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Chris. Yep great. Great fun hey and expansive (expensive). Hahaha. I just posted a new resto thread. See how it goes.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:11 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Haven't been on for some time, first thig I see is this. Great informative write up. Thanks for the time you took

Grant Francis (02-27-2022)
Old 06-30-2023, 04:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Grant, can you repost PDF please if possible. Cheers

Old 06-30-2023, 05:17 AM
Received 10,476 Likes on 6,918 Posts

OK, but its still there in Post #1 as an attachment

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XJS Post Purchase Worksheet.pdf (126.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 12:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks very much for putting the time into this. With all my injuries including tennis elbow and trigger thumb, etc., reading through your document makes me contemplate "throwing-in-the-towel" on my lovely, 2nd owner XJS. Oh, and I forgot to mention TIME!

I just can't do it anymore and no longer have my vehicles in "backyard" driveway (behind a gate). My small, publicly-visible, 2 car driveway in front of the garage is sloped (and dangerous for jacking), and the HOA and board members have nothing better-to-do than to harass car guys like me.

I have, however met a kid (19yr old son of a master mechanic) who comes to the house to do oil changes. He races and wrenches on his cars. He gave me a reasonable estimate to remove the fuel rail. I'm ordering the fuel hoses from SD Faircloth in hopes that I'll be able to put it together and have the kid re-install it in the evening under lights, hopefully, undetected by the roving, daytime looky-loos...

Grant Francis (07-15-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 08:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic write-up. A lot is "typical older car things" but it's nice to see the specifics unique to each marque. This is good stuff to prepare for the arrival of my XJ-S HE; maintenance catch-up is always expected on an older car especially when it's one that is being gradually freshened up. I'll get to making my "Intro" thread shortly, always got to keep the bosses happy

Grant Francis (08-17-2023)