XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Would turning on the Heater make the Engine run Cooler? (XJSV12)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015 | 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Yup.

I second or whatever the number as to Plum's comment. Trouble is the heat issue is liklely on a hot day. Not very comfortable to add a good blast of hot air to the cabin.
Time to drop the top and/or open all windows!!

Front hinged hoods/bonnets do help. No risk at all of a "blow up". jaguars as well as most cars suffer from a limited means of exhausting hot air from the engine bay.

Older USA critters had louvrers in one place or another to do this.

If one can, pull over and douse the radiator with water.

Caveat. Some pull over in a n overheat and shut the engine down Counter productive!!! No air flow and no water pump[ action not to mention no fan.
But if it's bad and you gotta, p[op the hood!!!!

Caveat II: Never open the radiator cap when the engine is hot. No positives, all negatives.

As I grew up in a desert, I learned a lot as to hot cars. both meanings actually.

Later, I lived and worked in CA's Imperial valley 125 F, from time to time. One Friday afternoon, my wife called me at my office. Great distress, the house AC quit. She and the kids "cooking". Rushed home. No service man available!!! 57 Chevrolet company car marginal cooling at those numbers. But, it had AC!!! Stopped at the ice house and put a block of ice in the handy space in front of the radiator and AC condenser. Wife and kids in car and off to the coast, San Diego. spent the week end there and returned to find the temps somewhat tolerable and an AC guy available.

PS: Even popping a rear hinged hood/bonnet to the safety latch is Ok, if road speed is kept down.

Lots more to share on dealing with high car temps in a hot climate.

Carl

The following 3 users liked this post by JagCad:
Greg in France (03-27-2015), orangeblossom (03-25-2015), paulyling (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015 | 10:57 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
All quite true about the heater. Also VERY true about electric fans from Grant. There is one point though:

As standard on the XJS, turning on the heater turns on the aircon, so that gives the engine more work to do in traffic. However, turning off the heater turns off the aircon AND turns off the auxiliary fan until the temp rises quite a bit. If you have the mechanical fan (which does practically zero at tickover) the engine gets quite hot - aircon off - before the auxiliary fan activates.

So FWIW, my best solution is:
Like Grant says, do the twin large electric fans mod. But also wire them to be switchable on manually regardless of heater settings, as well as one working automatically whenever the aircon is on, and the other big fan being normally thermostat controlled.

If you have the mechanical fan, a decent solution as long as the mechanical viscous hub is 100%, is to change the OEM fan (very old inefficient type) for the largest and most powerful you can find that will fit the shroud hole. THEN while keeping the OEm wiring, also wire it with a cabin operated manual switch. At the same time, fit an "off switch" to the aircon compressor earth wire, also cabin activated, so if you select "heat" from the system, it WILL function and heat the heater matrix but NOT cool the evaporator.

Then, in a hot coolant scare, this last mode enables you to turn off the aircon but turn ON the aux fan, AND keep the heater going! Then you get (a) extra cooling, (b) no extra engine load and (c) the extra heater matrix radiator cooling!

By the by, under these last circumstances, you should select DEFROST, which calls for MAX heating and over-rides any temp selected.

Greg
Wow! Greg

That is a lot to get my head around for someone like me, so I will be re-reading your advice a good many times, as what you say as always, makes a great deal of sense.

So I will start off with a manual on/off switch for the electric fan and also the same for the Aircon Compressor, as I've noticed when the heater is on, you can almost feel the Compressor Working.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015 | 11:01 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Nah, never been to your bit of dirt.

I conceded the temps there are different to here by a long stretch.

The Summer here is usually 5 months of 35c and above, with NO let up. In that time about 15 days are above 42c, so we are a boozy mob at best.

Mind you, I am in Sth Aust, "the driest state on the driest contiment", other parts of OZ are different.

Mine has the RH fan thermo wired, and a safety ON inside the cabin that simply switches that fans relay earth terminal. The LH fan is A/C only.

With the A/C on, the LH fan runs constantly, and I have NEVER had the RH fan come on whilst the A/C is ON. The fans are that good.

I also run 82c thermostats, and they are NOT Jaguar stats, they are Ford stats, as the Jaguar units at the time were too short, and did not shut off the by-pass ports, and the engine would/could run hotter than I wanted. This I have written about at length many times, and is freely available on request to your email address.
Cheers Grant

I'll send you a PM

Although to-day its Sunshine and Showers, typical Easter Weather in the UK.

paulyling (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015 | 11:04 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Another yes vote here. It's an old trick.

If your hood is hinged at the front, popping the hood open to the first
safety catch can also help.
Do you mean actually drive along with the Hood/Bonnet open (to the first safety catch)?

paulyling (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015 | 11:08 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paulyling
That scares me Plums. I was driving in traffic when i first got mine and the hood flipped up and i had to stop in the middle of the road in traffic to close it ha ha ha. Funny now but was crapping myself at the time lol!
Yeah! the thought of that scares me as well 'Bro' but since the Hood/Bonnet is hinged at the front, I don't suppose that it could fly up?

Though no doubt other drivers would be 'hooting' the hell out of me, not realising that I had done it on purpose!

paulyling (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015 | 11:17 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yup.

I second or whatever the number as to Plum's comment. Trouble is the heat issue is liklely on a hot day. Not very comfortable to add a good blast of hot air to the cabin.
Time to drop the top and/or open all windows!!

Front hinged hoods/bonnets do help. No risk at all of a "blow up". jaguars as well as most cars suffer from a limited means of exhausting hot air from the engine bay.

Older USA critters had louvrers in one place or another to do this.

If one can, pull over and douse the radiator with water.

Caveat. Some pull over in a n overheat and shut the engine down Counter productive!!! No air flow and no water pump[ action not to mention no fan.
But if it's bad and you gotta, p[op the hood!!!!

Caveat II: Never open the radiator cap when the engine is hot. No positives, all negatives.

As I grew up in a desert, I learned a lot as to hot cars. both meanings actually.

Later, I lived and worked in CA's Imperial valley 125 F, from time to time. One Friday afternoon, my wife called me at my office. Great distress, the house AC quit. She and the kids "cooking". Rushed home. No service man available!!! 57 Chevrolet company car marginal cooling at those numbers. But, it had AC!!! Stopped at the ice house and put a block of ice in the handy space in front of the radiator and AC condenser. Wife and kids in car and off to the coast, San Diego. spent the week end there and returned to find the temps somewhat tolerable and an AC guy available.

PS: Even popping a rear hinged hood/bonnet to the safety latch is Ok, if road speed is kept down.

Lots more to share on dealing with high car temps in a hot climate.

Carl
Hi Carl

If the Weather isn't hot enough to drive around with the top down, then She doesn't go out (I take the merc)

And even on the hottest day here in the UK, you probably wouldn't notice too much if the heater was left running.

Although I don't want to speak too soon, She's never showed any signs of overheating while I've owned her.

paulyling (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015 | 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
So I will start off with a manual on/off switch for the electric fan and also the same for the Aircon Compressor, as I've noticed when the heater is on, you can almost feel the Compressor Working.
Indeed you can feel the aircon when asking for heat. The system works as two initially unconnected parts: the aircon part tries to maintain the aircon evaporator matrix at X degrees C (maybe about 4°C). It will do this regardless of what the cabin temp selected is.

Second the heater part pushes hot water through the heater matrix, also all the time, (except for when really cold cabin temps are called for when the system switches off the water tap on the engine bulkhead to ease the load on the cabin aircon - but for the purposes of this discussion ignore this wrinkle).

Putting these two aspects together are the air blend flaps: the entire system works by blending cold air from the evaporator with hot air from the heater rad to give you the selected cabin temperature.

So, when the heater is on, the aircon will be maintaining the evaporator at (say) 4°C regardless of whether you actually need cold air or not to achieve the selected cabin temp. For example in sub-zero mid-winter (unheard of in South Australia !) with the heater going full blast, the aircon matrix will still be being kept cold by the compressor!

FYI, OB The Great Palm's book has a bit about how to make the compressor cabin-switchable independently of the heater system. As for wiring the aux fan to be cabin switchable, be careful as you can inadvertently 'back feed' other systems (eg trigger the compressor). But loads of people here can help you with that.

Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (03-25-2015), paulyling (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015 | 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Do you mean actually drive along with the Hood/Bonnet open (to the first safety catch)?
I am sure that he does, and it works. BUT, big but, there is an area of lower pressure above the bonnet when rolling and the bonnet is sucked up pretty hard against that catch! The catch itself is OK but the bit it clicks onto on the actual car body is held on by two pretty flimsy pop rivets. I changed these for small bolts and if you plan to open the bonnet at anything above walking pace, I recommend you do it too!

TWR when they raced the XJS (according to Allan Scott's fantastically interesting book) raced with the bonnet popped (or somehow made it so it would "accidentally" pop a bit) and the suction actually broke one of the fixings they had rigged up to allow the bonnet to open only so far !

Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Old 03-25-2015 | 01:15 PM

Long ago, I used to do this with my Jensen Healey in south Florida when stuck in traffic. Certainly helped then.

Mark

The following 2 users liked this post by PhantomsPhorever:
Old 03-25-2015 | 06:02 PM
|
Veteran Member

Indeed you can feel the aircon when asking for heat. The system works as two initially unconnected parts: the aircon part tries to maintain the aircon evaporator matrix at X degrees C (maybe about 4°C). It will do this regardless of what the cabin temp selected is.

Second the heater part pushes hot water through the heater matrix, also all the time, (except for when really cold cabin temps are called for when the system switches off the water tap on the engine bulkhead to ease the load on the cabin aircon - but for the purposes of this discussion ignore this wrinkle).

Putting these two aspects together are the air blend flaps: the entire system works by blending cold air from the evaporator with hot air from the heater rad to give you the selected cabin temperature.

So, when the heater is on, the aircon will be maintaining the evaporator at (say) 4°C regardless of whether you actually need cold air or not to achieve the selected cabin temp. For example in sub-zero mid-winter (unheard of in South Australia !) with the heater going full blast, the aircon matrix will still be being kept cold by the compressor!

FYI, OB The Great Palm's book has a bit about how to make the compressor cabin-switchable independently of the heater system. As for wiring the aux fan to be cabin switchable, be careful as you can inadvertently 'back feed' other systems (eg trigger the compressor). But loads of people here can help you with that.

Greg
Thanks Greg

For that useful information and I will have a look at what the Great Palm says.

Though will doubtless be putting up photos, asking which wire I should cut!

Old 03-25-2015 | 06:04 PM
|
Veteran Member

I am sure that he does, and it works. BUT, big but, there is an area of lower pressure above the bonnet when rolling and the bonnet is sucked up pretty hard against that catch! The catch itself is OK but the bit it clicks onto on the actual car body is held on by two pretty flimsy pop rivets. I changed these for small bolts and if you plan to open the bonnet at anything above walking pace, I recommend you do it too!

TWR when they raced the XJS (according to Allan Scott's fantastically interesting book) raced with the bonnet popped (or somehow made it so it would "accidentally" pop a bit) and the suction actually broke one of the fixings they had rigged up to allow the bonnet to open only so far !

Greg
I was kind of getting the feeling, that this might be the case, so that is one solution that I don't want to try out.

Old 03-25-2015 | 06:07 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PhantomsPhorever
Long ago, I used to do this with my Jensen Healey in south Florida when stuck in traffic. Certainly helped then.

Mark
Hi Mark

Thanks but different Car, different characteristics.

So unlatching the bonnet/hood, is one solution that I won't be experimenting with.

paulyling (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015 | 07:33 PM

Of coarse it would help. One of the first things our shop teacher told us. Ive done it on a hot hot day. Its not very comfortable but it works.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bc xj:
orangeblossom (03-26-2015), paulyling (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015 | 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

slight difference but very similar, I drove series I xj12 for many years and the bonnet WILL lift open at speed even though it looks as though it can't possibly do that. Once that happens it is very difficult to see where you are going.

The following 2 users liked this post by baxtor:
Old 03-26-2015 | 06:12 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Of coarse it would help. One of the first things our shop teacher told us. Ive done it on a hot hot day. Its not very comfortable but it works.
I'm not that much of a Gambler, so that's a set of dice I won't be rolling!

Old 03-26-2015 | 06:14 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by baxtor
slight difference but very similar, I drove series I xj12 for many years and the bonnet WILL lift open at speed even though it looks as though it can't possibly do that. Once that happens it is very difficult to see where you are going.
Maybe its me?

But that happens to be something that I don't want to find out.

paulyling (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015 | 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

1. If one drives in a hot clime, preparation for bonnet cracked partly opening safety might be a good adaptation. Add a safety chain. That would limit the opening to a safe position.

2. My 94 Jeep's AC has a compressor on/off switch. Convenient, but,it has never com close to an over heat!

3.When old air cooled beetles were "souped up" heat issued happened. Two assists.
Hood always partly open. External oil cooler added. The latter in the Combi versions usually.

4. I have had a hood pop open at speed. I was showing off my Newly hyped 49 Mercury in about 1951. Running in the high 90 mph on a desert road, hoping to get
to 100 mph. Hood/bonnet popped. Blinded, but I brought it to a halt by watching the white center line!! Amazingly, it didn't much use of the BFH on ther hnges to restore function.

Many more tales in my repitiore !!

Carl

Last edited by JagCad; 03-26-2015 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Old 03-27-2015 | 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

Yep.

Normally, the problem is in slow traffic. Slow traffic + hot engine = rising heart rate.

Of course, it depends on your knowledge of the safety catches on your particular vehicle.

Then again, windows open, heat on max and fan on max is usually enough.

It helps to have a working coolant temperature gauge, which sadly is not the case
in the X308.

Last edited by plums; 03-27-2015 at 01:30 AM.
orangeblossom (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015 | 01:26 AM
Veteran Member

Greg
Depending on the aerodynamics of the particular vehicle,
keeping the rear of the hood lifted a bit has other benefits.

In certain non-modified classes the rules bar front spoilers.
But the rules don't normally speak to body panel alignment.
Especially in rallying. Hard to keep the panels straight when
taking all that air time.

Lifting the hood at the rear results in massive downforce
without having need of a spoiler due to the bernoulli effect.

The following 3 users liked this post by plums:
Greg in France (03-27-2015), o1xjr (03-27-2015), orangeblossom (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015 | 02:43 PM

I didn't have my hood latched properly and it lifted. Scary feeling watching it lift at speed.
I imagine if you could properly latch it up (securely) it would increase engine cooling a lot

The following 2 users liked this post by Bc xj:
Greg in France (03-28-2015), orangeblossom (03-27-2015)