XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Would you sell your XJS to buy an 'e' type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
From the land of imagination.

1. Far more XJS's on the market than E types.

2. All E types are not equal.

3. Under the skin, the XJs is a far more advanced automobile.

4. E type roadsters, oh, yeah.

5. The bulbous hard tops, Nope. Odd looking at best. short Ok, long, ugly!!

Just my ideas. As of now, I've my hands full with a mundane XJwuzza six.

Carl
Hi Carl

'e' type roadster oh, yeah + 1

The Coupe doesn't do it for me but would I sell my XJS?

Only when 'Hell Freezes Over!'

Old 06-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Broken_Spanners
Am blessed to be the caretaker of both and lived with them for a very long time. The fact is, you can't compare the cars, they are great creations that do completely different things made for a different time.

I personally think an early S3 is a better car in the fun factor side than any vintage XJS (if we're talking V12 to V12 here, aside from very early manual cars), however, an XJS is much easier to live with long term, and convertibles have gained such presence as they have aged.

A Fall blast in the hills in a 3.8 OTS whilst bouncing off red line all afternoon = ain't nothing better IME. S1 cars (including 4.2's) still just do it for me everytime, I never get bored or let down.

30 some years ago, a former Jaguar sales associate told it best (he was from the UK transplanted here - am paraphrasing as it's been a while). "The XJS was for the man that drove an E-Type and decided he needed a more comfortable wardrobe, however, one should never be without a tuxedo". Gotta have 'em both in other words..

Cheers,

Jeff
Hi Jeff

I'd have to have both, so I'll start Saving up!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Safari
Gee...this is a difficult choice.

I guess for me it would come down to usage.

If I was wanting a car to drive on a regular basis then I would chose the XJS. If I just wanted something to take out on nice weekends and car shows then I would have the "E" type. But it would have to be the convertible. I was never attracted to the coupes.

On the other hand, for the cost of an "E" type I could have a fully restored XJS and 3 or 4 other for spares.

Fortunately my economic status has made the decision for me.

It is XJS for me!!

Mark
Likewise Mark

But with me its even got to the Stage, where I dare not open the Garage door at night.

As the moment I switch on the overhead lights, She just sits there Gleaming like the Super Star She is and then seems to be saying.

'What the Hell are you waiting for! I know its late but just get out the keys and Drive me!'

And sometimes I do just that!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-29-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stargazer XJS
I honestly never thought much about the E-Type until I started driving the XJS. I'd love an opportunity to drive one, but owning one is right out of the question.
Put that on your 'Bucket List' and then compare the two.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
If I got an E given to me, I'd flog it and get the best of the best XJ-S (not XJS) out there!

And buy some nice goodies with the rest

I am no E fan... A purely overrated and overhyped car. If you get the chance to drive one, it isn't as fun as it seems. I got to sit as a passemger in a Series II E and was driven a little. It wallowed back amd forth and felt everything else than 'legendary' - and that one had been freshly restored. Nothing beats the double wishbone setup at the front of an XJ/XJ-S... The torsionbar setup is just old and dated. Not so sophisticated...

As said, I wouldn't want an E type...
I think I'd like one to look at more than drive one.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-29-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
Well strange enough I actually had a opportunity to trade one of my '95 convertibles for a very nice series 3 E-type coupe.

From a financial stand point it made perfect sense why I would consider it but when it came down to it I just could not part with something I was passionate about for something that I was not. Now had it been a convertible series 3 E-type I would have worked hard to make that happen but not for the series 3 coupe.

I have always wanted an older E- type roadster and why not: they are one of the most beautiful cars ever made, are still a blast to drive and lets be honest they just eek sexy from every angle.

Then reality sits in and for us working class folk the window of opportunity to purchase a reasonably priced E -type roadster is not going to happen or as the saying goes that ship already sailed out to sea.

I know for myself there are many different cars I would love to have out in my garage to take out for weekend drives and car shows etc. but I have to look at what amount of capitol I would be tying up to have those at my leisure. I do not have the financial means nor am I willing to do that so I will leave that to the ultra wealthy.

What I love about the XJS is that most are still accessible cost wise to many of us with limited means. The fact that they are hardly ever seen out being driven, were the last Lyons-Sayer inspired Jaguar sports car and are damn sexy to boot-well that just makes me feel like the guy in the '70s who bought a well taken care of E-type roadster for $ 1500.00 -like I just won the lottery.
Totally agree with you on that but if I won the lottery then who knows

Old 06-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
My primary objection to E-types is that lack of comfort. Of course, none of us are the same shape....but I simply have a hard time getting comfortable. I really feel like I have to squeeze into the car and I usually drive with my shoes off 'cuz my feet invariably get all tangled in the pedals ....which are bunched right together for awkwardness . There's no shoulder room or headroom....and no ventilation system, either.

But, sports cars of long ago were just that way. Look at the old first gen, solid-axle Corvettes---very awkward driving position. They're another car where it's great to be seen in but driving one....well....not really all that great. There's the initial thrill of driving something really cool but, after that wears off.......well....

The fun of the E-Type comes from that brilliant off-the-line acceleration, magnificent sound, and crisp steering. When you're hard into the throttle and watching the bulged bonnet rise up in front of you....and hearing that sound.....oh my !

It speaks volumes that, today, you can jump into an XJS...itself a 30 year old design....and still be impressed.

Cheers
DD
I found exactly the same Doug.

You don't so much get in an 'e' type, its more you drop into the Seat and then arrange your body to suit the Car.

I'm very happy with what I've got, so don't really want anything more.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I found exactly the same Doug.

You don't so much get in an 'e' type, its more you drop into the Seat and then arrange your body to suit the Car.

I'm very happy with what I've got, so don't really want anything more.
I had an opportunity to ride in a 1974 E-type roadster and the one thing I remember was how far down I had to fall into the car. Not the most comfortable car and that was a series 3. I can only imagine trying to get my 6' 4" frame into a series 1 E type.

I look at this whole discussion this way :

Driving an older sports car like the E type is like dating a super model- you may not be able to live with them everyday but man what a memorable day when you do get together.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

I had an opportunity to ride in a 1974 E-type roadster and the one thing I remember was how far down I had to fall into the car. Not the most comfortable car and that was a series 3. I can only imagine trying to get my 6' 4" frame into a series 1 E type.

I look at this whole discussion this way :

Driving an older sports car like the E type is like dating a super model- you may not be able to live with them everyday but man what a memorable day when you do get together.
So if the 'e' type is a 'Supermodel' what does that make the XJS

A little bit more than the 'Girl Next Door' me thinks.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Sell my XJS to buy an E-Type? If I interpret the intent as only having one or the other for driving pleasure, then no. Hell no.

orangeblossom (06-29-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 PM

So if the 'e' type is a 'Supermodel' what does that make the XJS

A little bit more than the 'Girl Next Door' me thinks.
My '95 XJS is like the little sister to the 'Supermodel'. Grew up in 'Her' shadow so hardly anyone was paying attention to 'Her' but now is all grown up. 'She' has been humbled by the experience so is a tad easier to live with everyday.

Yes, 'She' has her moods now and then but every time we go to a family reunion I am reminded why I chose 'Her' over the big sister- damn sexy without all the drama.

orangeblossom (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Sell my XJS to buy an E-Type? If I interpret the intent as only having one or the other for driving pleasure, then no. Hell no.
Plus+1 to that Flint, I really couldn't bear to part with her.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

My '95 XJS is like the little sister to the 'Supermodel'. Grew up in 'Her' shadow so hardly anyone was paying attention to 'Her' but now is all grown up. 'She' has been humbled by the experience so is a tad easier to live with everyday.

Yes, 'She' has her moods now and then but every time we go to a family reunion I am reminded why I chose 'Her' over the big sister- damn sexy without all the drama.
I have to disagree with you, the XJS is a very High Maintenance 'Diva' who requires lots of love and affection, not to mention attention, in order to keep her sweet.

Or She will throw a 'Hissy Fit' and bleed your wallet dry!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:26 PM

I have to disagree with you, the XJS is a very High Maintenance 'Diva' who requires lots of love and affection, not to mention attention, in order to keep her sweet.

Or She will throw a 'Hissy Fit' and bleed your wallet dry!
Keep in mind that you are with one of the older 'Sisters' who can be a bit demanding and high maintenance-LOL.

I am involved with the youngest of the bunch so mine had some time to see the faults of 'Her' older siblings and has decided for the most part to be a little easier to live with everyday.

orangeblossom (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Talking

Keep in mind that you are with one of the older 'Sisters' who can be a bit demanding and high maintenance-LOL.

I am involved with the youngest of the bunch so mine had some time to see the faults of 'Her' older siblings and has decided for the most part to be a little easier to live with everyday.
Talk about being a 'Diva!' the Brakes just failed on my other Car and would no doubt cost Thousands to have Her fixed by a Garage/Shop.

Only Problem being Spare Parts seem non existent, so the chances are a Garage/Shop, just wouldn't want to know!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like most I love my XJS and have a friend who sold his E-Type; need I say more!
Bottom line - mine is a manual 4.0 celebration and I followed a 2 year old AMG Merc who tried to lose me on some A roads and he couldn't! I think he was a little surprised. The comfort is second to none and the sight of that bonnet in front takes some beating. I would of course love to be able to afford a an E-type but I am not selling the XJS; ever!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

I think you just about nailed that Doug, 100% agree!

yes E-types are way over rated, goes to show what opinions from respected people can do to values of things.

i owned one,had it couple weeks and #1 rod bearing started knocking, sold it quick, didnt need that noise!

Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

I've got to say that the only reason I have an XJS is because I can't afford an E-type. Sorry I'd let mine go in a heartbeat if it meant I could get an xke, I'm not in this for the "comfort" or the usability, I have an X300 for that. The Etype is an amazing, iconic automobile that WILL always and forever stand the test of time and stay an automotive icon. So the answer is YES in a NY minuet.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,987 Likes on 1,689 Posts

E Type, no.
Early Aston DB V8, yes.

ronbros (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

I had a 64 E Type roadster for 9 years and currently have an 94 XJS 6.0, so have a good frame of comparison.

To me they are very different cars that do different things well, each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I think it's difficult to say one is better than the other, because they are so different. Depending upon the day, I could prefer either one, depends on my goals.

The main drawbacks of the E Type for me was the exhaust smell and the heat when driving. A modern emission control system and some effective heat insulation could cure a lot of what was wrong with the E Type, and for me adding things like cruise control and air conditioning would make the playing field much more level.

I have seen a conversion using the AJ16 4.0 engine, I think would make an outstanding E Type, if the heat insulation was added.

The drawbacks of the XJS for me is that it's a much bigger car on the outside, but not much bigger on the inside, a convertible with the top up is very claustrophobic. It can still be hot and stuffy inside on long drives, and the AC is a pain to keep working. The E Type has much more nimble handling, in comparison the XJS feels heavy and ponderous. Great highway cruiser though, if the climate control works. Certainly a convertible is more watertight than an E Type convertible.

Quick Reply: Would you sell your XJS to buy an 'e' type?