XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJ-8

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts
Default XJ-8

While at first glance this topic might seem be belong somewhere else, I posted it here for a (good) reason.

I ran across an 2006 XJ8 today. 144,000 miles, V8 engine (not sure of the displacement).

From the perspective of those than own (or have owned) an XJ-S pre-facelift, and may now own an XJ8 build around 2006, what will be the big differences...besides appearances of course...between the two?

I'm not selling the XJ-S, but it never hurts to have another Jaguar around, and for $5000 it's got my interest.

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

Old 04-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

John,

I've owned both and apart from the "Jaguarness" in the firm yet compliant ride, they are completely different animals.I wouldn't even try and compare them.

The XJ8 is a truly great car that, in the UK, is gaining a significant classic following. It's a terrific combination of speed, roadholding and economy, due in no small part to its aluminium body.
I covered 80,000 miles in mine and it was the consummate high-speed touring car that returned an average of 30mpg. I really miss it.

Buy it, but make sure you budget for all the suspension bushes to be replaced.

Good luck

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
J_C_R (04-20-2019), Mac Allan (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 528 Posts

I own both, and will echo what Paul stated.

They are so different, it is hard to compare them. The XJ-S is a very late 60's car at heart from a company with great engineers, but dwindling resources (which only makes it addictively charming and why it enjoyed such a long production run). Up to the X300 you could see and feel the XJ-S kinship under the skin. The X350 is such a giant leap forward, it kind of breaks that lineage. However, it is a great car in its own right, and is the genesis of all 21st century Jags.

When first driven, it seems very odd for a car that big to feel so light (both under your foot, and in your hands). I've been thinking about looking for another low mileage one while they are still available.

The following users liked this post:
J_C_R (04-20-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a XJ-358 V8 with 95.000 Km, and 65.000 Km later I have to say that it was one of the best purchases I have ever made. It is the best possible combination between classical Jaguar design and 21st modern technology, and it is very agile despite its huge size. But like any other car, this model also has its issues that you need to know about. You will read countless messages about problems with the suspensión. In my case, the air suspensión keeps running like new after 165.000 Km, but God knows why, US cars seems to suffer more suspensión problems than EU cars. There is no logical explanation, but it seems to be a fact.
As it happens with any other luxury car, 1$ spent in proper maintenance will save you $100 in repairs because contrary to what many people may think, maintainin this model is not that expensive. But the repairs that come from poor maintenance are VERY expensive. And as the body is made of light aluminium, these cars have a surprisingly moderate fuel consumption if you don't drive them aggressively, but the 300 horse power are more than capable to "eject" the car like a rocket if you need to. I do not have an XJS to compare it to, but my XJ358 has given me only satisfaction.
I would recommend you to buy a unit with less than 100.000 Km, and my advice is related to the automatic gearbox fluid. A car under that mileage will have pretty dirty ATF fluid, but not enough yet to ruin the gearbox. If the ATF has not been changed in 140.000 Km or more, chances are that the automatic gearbox will have expensive problems soon.
Do your homework, learn as much as you can about this model, and if you find the right unit, buy it without hesitation. It is a really great car.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

I do not own, but have extensively driven a 2005 XJ8 and my opinion is that you will still get that “handcrafted” feel like the XJ-S and all others pre-2008 Jaguars. Lots of wood, leather, typically grey, tan or cream.....it still retains the “old world” aesthetic and experience that no longer exists. Both inside and out.

Obviously driving it its a much more modern and certainly infinitely more comfortable and agile car.

My point is, you still know you are in a Jaguar sitting in it.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:27 PM
Received 205 Likes on 112 Posts

Makes me wanna buy one. They are a nice looking car especially the supercharged ones!