XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS convertible Quatre window not lifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 04:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XJS convertible Quatre window not lifting

Hi,

I have a 1992 4.0 xjs convertible. I put the hood down yesterday and on putting it up the passenger side rear quatre window did not lift. Is there any advise/help please from anyone?

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:32 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,234 Posts

You can start by getting a looooong screwdriver or something and tapping the window motor. That should get it to work, at least for a little while.

You should remove the plastic clip that faces the window (when it's up) so that you can get to it if it gets stuck in the up position.

After that, you should search the forums for solutions to this common problem. (I have a post with pics somewhere)

Old 05-10-2023, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vee
You can start by getting a looooong screwdriver or something and tapping the window motor. That should get it to work, at least for a little while.

You should remove the plastic clip that faces the window (when it's up) so that you can get to it if it gets stuck in the up position.

After that, you should search the forums for solutions to this common problem. (I have a post with pics somewhere)

Thanks

Old 05-10-2023, 11:20 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,234 Posts

It's undoubtedly in a slow death spiral. Tapping it back to life might get a few months before it happens again, but then the frequency keeps getting tighter and tighter, so I recommend you figure on a plan now.

Replacement is not a cheap option, and not entirely recommended since the new motors are not available, so you'll just be gambling with someone else's ticking timebomb.

I do wish someone would come across a motor that can be purchased new which could be easily transplanted.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:29 AM
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

When my rear window was not working it was because of the inline fuse located by the battery. I recommend trying that as well

Old 05-10-2023, 12:15 PM
Received 342 Likes on 177 Posts

When I first got my car I had this problem on the passenger side. I actually found a fix that worked ever since about 3 years now and that is to insert a piece of hose in the bottom of the slot in the frame. I used a silicon hose. I think the hose acts as a spring because it’s compressed by the window and it helps get the window moving. You can access the frame through the vent in the door frame. I will see if I can get some pictures.

Rob.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:30 PM
Received 342 Likes on 177 Posts

Here you goo. Access through this vent and place the hose where mine sits in the bottom of the second slot in the frame. Like I said this has been working fine now for around 3 years.

Rob

The following 2 users liked this post by Robbo D:
arcticsilvere39 (05-15-2023), ptjs1 (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 07:14 PM

[QUOTE=Robbo D;2640997]Here you goo. Access through this vent and place the hose where mine sits in the bottom of the second slot in the frame. Like I said this has been working fine now for around 3 years.

Rob[/QUO

Thanks Rob,

I will have a go.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by stran0020
When my rear window was not working it was because of the inline fuse located by the battery. I recommend trying that as well
thanks. I'll have a look. Hope it's the fuse. Checked relays and they're fine.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
It's undoubtedly in a slow death spiral. Tapping it back to life might get a few months before it happens again, but then the frequency keeps getting tighter and tighter, so I recommend you figure on a plan now.

Replacement is not a cheap option, and not entirely recommended since the new motors are not available, so you'll just be gambling with someone else's ticking timebomb.

I do wish someone would come across a motor that can be purchased new which could be easily transplanted.
I think I've seen a new one on ebay for £245. Not sure if it's compatible. is there a regulator attached to the window? Thanks for replying.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,156 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Before you buy a new motor: if you've fully checked the relays (swap them with the working window), then try powering the motor directly with a 12v source (eliminating all potential problems up to the motor itself).

Good luck

Paul

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Usually when the windows fail to move it's the relays. The way they are wired is there is the power to go up is through one relay and the ground is through another relay. This reverses to go the opposite direction. The relays are typically rated lower on the opposite contact, so it's usually 30A on the normally open contact and 20A on the normally closed. They burn contacts on the lower rated direction, so it's important to check that the relay can carry current on both contacts.

If they are original, I would replace them all with new, 40A relays. That cured the problems on my car anyway.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Usually when the windows fail to move it's the relays. The way they are wired is there is the power to go up is through one relay and the ground is through another relay. This reverses to go the opposite direction. The relays are typically rated lower on the opposite contact, so it's usually 30A on the normally open contact and 20A on the normally closed. They burn contacts on the lower rated direction, so it's important to check that the relay can carry current on both contacts.

If they are original, I would replace them all with new, 40A relays. That cured the problems on my car anyway.
Thanks for the response.

I swooped the window relays over , which are located next to the roof pump, to opposite windows. That didnt cure it. Could it still be the relays?

Old 05-12-2023, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

If you swapped the relay from the non-working window, to the other side and vice-versa, and the "good" window continued to work, then it isn't the relay (although it could be the relay holder).

Try powering the window directly at its wiring connection on the motor.

Paul

Old 05-12-2023, 05:03 AM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Before rushing out to buy a new window lift motor look at this thread:

Is there a 1/4 window motor alternative?

Old 05-12-2023, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zarathushtra
thanks. I'll have a look. Hope it's the fuse. Checked relays and they're fine.
I can't seem to find the fuse. Any chance of a photo of yours showing location?

all the best.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Zarathustra,

If you look at the wiring diagram, you'll see that it doesn't have fuses on the rear windows. It has individual L & R thermal breakers providing a feed signal to the Up & Down relays.

It's time to get the multimeter out.

Maybe start by checking for voltage output to the motor circuit from the Up relay on the non-operative window when the hood switch is pressed. Remember that you have to wait 8 seconds before the window is signalled to rise. If that is ok, then check at the motor connection itself. If that is ok, then it's a motor problem.

Good luck

Paul

Old 05-14-2023, 08:58 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zarathushtra;[url=tel:2640884
2640884[/url]]Hi,

I have a 1992 4.0 xjs convertible. I put the hood down yesterday and on putting it up the passenger side rear quatre window did not lift. Is there any advise/help please from anyone?

Thanks.
coincidently after reading this post yesterday, my rear left quarter window stopped working. It’s now stuck in The down position. I took the interior panel off and tried giving the motor direct power and it didn’t do anything. I’m going to pull it out and see if I can work some magic, but I’ll also likely be tracking down a used motor. If I have any luck or tips along the way I’ll let ya know . I haven’t been able to find any new replacements. Looks very similar to the 80’s Mustang quarter window motor, but they have the wrong gear tooth count

Old 05-14-2023, 10:51 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

So I was actually just able to fix mine. It wasn’t a motor issue after all. Last night I removed (it had actually already fallen off) the cover plate that protects the interior unit that the motor drives. I cleaned and greased it and still didn’t have luck. However today, I noticed it was extremely dirty and gritty on the window side of that unit where the main gear meshes with window regulator. I used electrical spray to clean it, some dry lubricant and just a little WD-40 (cause I ran out of the dry spray). And bingo, when I hooked my 12v source up to it it raised perfectly. I’m pretty confident there was a small rock or piece of debris lodges between the two gears. Maybe give that shot.

Greg in France (05-14-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by stone4140
So I was actually just able to fix mine. It wasn’t a motor issue after all. Last night I removed (it had actually already fallen off) the cover plate that protects the interior unit that the motor drives. I cleaned and greased it and still didn’t have luck. However today, I noticed it was extremely dirty and gritty on the window side of that unit where the main gear meshes with window regulator. I used electrical spray to clean it, some dry lubricant and just a little WD-40 (cause I ran out of the dry spray). And bingo, when I hooked my 12v source up to it it raised perfectly. I’m pretty confident there was a small rock or piece of debris lodges between the two gears. Maybe give that shot.

Thabk you everyome for your help. I found the fault on mine to be a loose connection to the motor feed.

Greg in France (05-21-2023)

Quick Reply: XJS convertible Quatre window not lifting