XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS door mirror help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJS door mirror help

Hello. I need some help about the door mirrors. I have a green type plugs in the mirror, 9 wires. I've foun a new mirror but with white plug and it seems only 6 wires. There's any way to fit the new one in the car? I cant find any mirror wiring diagram on web.

Thanks!

Photo samples
Old one type:

New one:

Old 01-30-2020, 08:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Vitor Vieira,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XJS forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 01-30-2020, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Vitor Vieira,

The green plugs are a facelift mirror. The white plugs are a mirror from a pre-facelift car. You can carefully remove the wires from the green plugs and refit to the replacement mirror. The wiring diagrams are in the workshop manual, and the wiring diagrams are online.

If no-one replies soon or gives you the link to the online wiring diagrams I'll look up the wiring when I'm back at home at the weekend and reply.

Cheers
Paul

Old 01-30-2020, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

The problem you may face is finding out if the switch circuitry is compatible with the white-plugged replacement mirror. The mirrors on the white-plugged type work by their switch making a circuit in one direction, and reversing to to do the other. The motor goes into forward or reverse, depending upon which way the switch is pushed. There are two wires to each motor and two motors per mirror - in the white plugged mirror these are all in the four pin plug. The two-pin plug is for the heater element in the mirror - if you do not have a heater just tie it out of the way.
The mirrors on facelift cars are activated by a different type of switch, and for all I know the circuitry is different. I have no idea what the 9 wires do. It might be that the switch has some circuit board in it, for example, which the earlier cars' switches do not.
If you can identify that the current feed from the switch in your car to the mirror motors is the same type as the white-pin mirror has, then all you need to do is find which four wires go to activate the mirror motors, and join them up with a proprietary aftermarket plug. You can identify the wires by activating the switch and seeing, with a test light or meter, which wires in the loom plug on your car go live when the switch is moved in and out (one motor) and up and down (the other).

Last edited by Greg in France; 01-30-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default wiring

Originally Posted by Greg in France
The problem you may face is finding out if the switch circuitry is compatible with the white-plugged replacement mirror. The mirrors on the white-plugged type work by their switch making a circuit in one direction, and reversing to to do the other. The motor goes into forward or reverse, depending upon which way the switch is pushed. There are two wires to each motor and two motors per mirror - in the white plugged mirror these are all in the four pin plug. The two-pin plug is for the heater element in the mirror - if you do not have a heater just tie it out of the way.
The mirrors on facelift cars are activated by a different type of switch, and for all I know the circuitry is different. I have no idea what the 9 wires do. It might be that the switch has some circuit board in it, for example, which the earlier cars' switches do not.
If you can identify that the current feed from the switch in your car to the mirror motors is the same type as the white-pin mirror has, then all you need to do is find which four wires go to activate the mirror motors, and join them up with a proprietary aftermarket plug. You can identify the wires by activating the switch and seeing, with a test light or meter, which wires in the loom plug on your car go live when the switch is moved in and out (one motor) and up and down (the other).
Not sure what Jaguar does with all of those wires, perhaps there is individual ground switching. Some wires must be common. I installed 2 olds aurora bullet mirrors on my 95 and I used half of the wires. The dash switch works perfectly on both! Just used a volt meter to sort it out.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (01-31-2020)