XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Face Lift or Gothic which do you prefer and why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Oh, Jags look best in green or blue.

Personally, not a fan of black, white or any red.

The tan, I suppose is ok.

I do like the facelift coach lines, but no trim. Appropriate OEM wheels always work too. I'm not a fan of aftermarket wheels. I actually love the 96 5 spoke diamond turned wheels, or the 95 20 spoke wheels as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Hi Vee

My friend a Jaguar expert wouldn't go near the fuel tank pump, without his special set of spark proof spanners, so I guess if you want to roll the dice that would be up to you.

We also decided to take a look in the tank of my pre-facelift 1990 V12 and it was as clean as a whistle with no rust whatsoever, unlike my 1995 facelift car.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

That looks one Cool Cat!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

I've never seen wires on an XJS, they do look pretty amazing but I bet they are a bit of a devil to clean.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it Spring yet?

This is my first jag (Facelift) and luv the line on the hood/bonnet, engine is easy to work on(4.0), and parts are less expensive compared to my '01 BMW 740il. I like the spoke wheels on the Gothic, though.

Attached Thumbnails XJS Face Lift or Gothic which do you prefer and why?-jag-xjs-convertible-1996.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

A Jag expert is not a chemist. Gas vapors must be mixed with almost exactly 7% with oxygen, any more and nothing happens. Nothing. Any less any nothing happens. An explosion could only occur under the most perfect of circumstances. We're not talking a natural gas leak in your house. Just fumes from a gasoline tank from a car. If you were trapped in a gas storage tank and you lit a match, you would be fine. (you would burn up all your oxygen, but you would suffocate, not burn or be caught in an explosion)

Natural gas would have to be between 5% and 15% for something bad to happen, and that's natural gas, not gasoline.

I think the old mechanic has his chemistry pages all mixed up.

Don't care if you're working on a Jag or an off-shore drilling rig. Them's just the facts. Gasoline itself is not flammable, the vapors are. You can shoot whatever you want through a gas tank, regardless of what TV tells you, it will not explode. If the tank was at the correct emptiness, and you were using a tracer round you COULD get it to explode.

Getting it to explode with a dropped wrench...practically impossible. Feasible, but like I said, you'd have the same chance to hit the lottery.

Working indoors, in an airtight room, removing the gas tank and waiting the perfect amount of time to light a match MIGHT spark a fire...but its just so silly. I can't imagine an explosion occurring under almost any circumstances.

Your mechanic has watched too many Sylvester Stallone movies...and I'm referring to the ones AFTER Rocky.

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Vee
My friend a Jaguar expert wouldn't go near the fuel tank pump, without his special set of spark proof spanners, so I guess if you want to roll the dice that would be up to you.

The following users liked this post:
DT T (11-29-2022)
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

I've heard the original tail lights described as art deco before, but never gothic I'm old school all the way. Better have quad headlamps too. And a V12 up front. And be black on black And have the seats with wide bolsters. And a non-airbag steering wheel. And barrel gauges.

Some nice looking examples in this thread!

DT T (11-29-2022)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I've often heard of XJ6 Series I & II taillights referred to as "cathedral" owing to the peaked shape. The XJS and Series III XJ6 light morphs that shape a bit. I suppose it wouldn't be too large a leap from there to "Gothic cathedral".

Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hi 06 Tim XJS

If I'm not much mistaken? your Jag is in Oyster Metallic, one of my favorite colors on that car and really suits the facelift.

Don't change the wheels for the lattice alloys, yours are like the ones on my Celebration which not only look expensive but also very much easier to clean.

I've got lattice alloys on my other cars but I'd rather have the dish ones any day.

06TimXJS (02-15-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gothic all the way

just love the Gothic (early) taillamp design, just looks right, if follows the lines, and obviously was an integral part of the original design "look" of the car.

As such, I also prefer the look of the Euro single or facelift version of the headlamp for the same reasons as the early rear lamps, this is how the car was visually designed, things look right because the lines ARE right.

The flying buttresses on the other hand only seem to look "right" from the direct rear and IMO less so from the side. I much prefer the coupe look of a convertible with the top up, than the buttress coupe. To each his own

I Proudly display my Gothic tail lamps to as many people as possible

Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 557 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by 75coupered
just love the Gothic (early) taillamp design, just looks right, if follows the lines, and obviously was an integral part of the original design "look" of the car.

As such, I also prefer the look of the Euro single or facelift version of the headlamp for the same reasons as the early rear lamps, this is how the car was visually designed, things look right because the lines ARE right.

The flying buttresses on the other hand only seem to look "right" from the direct rear and IMO less so from the side. I much prefer the coupe look of a convertible with the top up, than the buttress coupe. To each his own

I Proudly display my Gothic tail lamps to as many people as possible

As I mentioned earlier I love both models *as long as they have original Euro lights* .......convertible facelift and coupe prefacelift, but I forgot to mention that the best looking of the facelift cars rear lights, are those of the UK facelift cars. The UK cars tail lights are not as wide as the US ones, since they don't have the end "dummy" lights for the smaller US plates and have a sleeker streamlined look

Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

I am a facelift fan all the way. One piece headlights, beautiful instrument panel, and the smooth horizontal lines of the tail lights. This is my first XJS and had it been a pre-facelift I would extol the virtues of it as well. I guess that is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream, so someone can have butter pecan instead.
95 4.0 coupe
Ron

Old 02-15-2013, 03:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks OB, one of my favorite colors too.. I wouldn't change the wheels to stay original plus keeping the spokes clean has to be a pain. Got any photos of your Celebration? She has to be a beauty Off the subject, Synthetic or Conventional Oil?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hi 06 Tim XJS

Yup! I do have some photos of my Celebration Convertible but they were taken years ago with a 3.0 mp Camera (which was pretty high tech at the time!)

When I look at them now they look awful and certainly don't do justice to the Car, so now I've got a new Camera 14.0 mp I am going to take some more photos and will put them on here.

But having taken the fuel tank out in order to fix the pump, I have just had the fuel tank professionally cleaned inside and out, with a chemical wash.

So just giving it all a proper test before it's all bolted back together properly.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:22 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Just to be awkward, I like the early facelift or 1/2 facelift version. Well I would as I've bought and restored one!
I like the early chrome bumpers (would maybe have preferred all chrome but...), the frameless windows and the later tailights. Being in the UK I have the oval headlights and I'm in two minds as to whether the twins look better, I suspect they will fuction better.
Mine's also in one of the best colours I've come across, Flamenco Red.

Only things I would change is to have the AJ16 engine as opposed to the AJ6 and a 5 speed manual gearbox.........oh and make it a convertible or cabriolet!!!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Anjum

I'm not a big fan of quad headlights and I much prefer the Gothic retro style of cars but a lot depends on the color.

IMO Pale pastel colors look great on face lift cars but maybe not so much on solid primary colors.

06 Tims XJS is a classic example of this Oyster on a facelift is a marriage made in heaven!

I've got a Celebration Convertible in Morocco Red and while it may be the most expensive one in my little collection, it is certainly not my favorite car.

My Ice blue 'Gothic' Convertible is the real 'eye candy' and its also a V12

Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

[/IMG]
Originally Posted by ronbros
thats kool , the Gothic look for pre cars, never heard it that way.

my 78 XJS rodster gets alot of good comments, and i removed the lower chin spoiler, and consensus is it looks smoother to the eye.

some one said that it could get unstable at 150mph, and of course i drive everyday at 150mph.?

you know what i get a lot on comment on, is the wide body rear flare arches, for the wide 10" wheels, i did it out of nesecity not for just looks.
Just a question, but I've had two mechanics that know the XJS and they've told me if I remove the "lower chin spoiler" I could have over heating issues. I've even read that it is integral to the cooling system as it helps funnel more air into the engine.
I hate that spoiler! If I can remove it, PLEASE tell me!!
As for the overall design, I'd love the rear facelift windows on my 88. I hate that leatherette vent panel. As much as the Buick looking facelift tail lights. I do like the full late bumpers. Easier to get to to clean!!
I must say my led strips I added to my 88 cathedral tail lamps really accents the arch design without looking stuck on. [IMG]IMG codes (for forums, boards)
[/IMG]

Last edited by philhef; 02-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

My favorite design of the XJS is the buttresses. I grew up with a father that collected English and Italian cars. My favorite was his red Dino Ferrari and one day I saw a red XJS coupe and from the rear it reminded me of that darn Dino!
My brother inherited the Dino so I found my XJS.
Apples to oranges but those buttresses are totally 70's!!! (Although I was a wee child in the 70's)

Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

[/IMG]

Last edited by philhef; 02-19-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 566 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
...I forgot to mention that the best looking of the facelift cars rear lights, are those of the UK facelift cars. The UK cars tail lights are not as wide as the US ones, since they don't have the end "dummy" lights for the smaller US plates and have a sleeker streamlined look
Agreed.

And about lattice wheels: I find the rears don't get very dirty, because the brake dust is inboard. My car has brake shields on the front wheels to keep them clean.

Quick Reply: XJS Face Lift or Gothic which do you prefer and why?