XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS HE 84 Oil spill from dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJS HE 84 Oil spill from dip stick

I am new to the forum community and thanks in advance for reviewing my matter. I recently purchased an XJS used and new to this vehicle. I knew that I would have my work cut out for me but admittingly had a rough start. On my first drive after taking ownership, the car died out at around the 1-mile mark. There was white smoke coming out from the right side of the bonnet and when I opened her up, the dipstick was pushed out and oil was leaking out of the dipstick channel (there may have been other spots but hard to visually see). My assumption is the oil pressure rose too quickly and then spilled out. Now, the vehicle won't start (and I had a fun tow experience to get it to my home). There is a red light indicator (Oil) that triggers when I try to start the vehicle. I assume now, low oil pressure (following the spillover).
  1. Does anyone know what (I'm sure several items) could be at play?
  2. Anything I can do to start her up?

Old 11-19-2021, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

The engine dipstick is on the left side of the engine. Is that the dipstick that came out? The dipstick on the right side at the firewall is the transmission dipstick. Which blew out?
Check the engine oil level with the dipstick on the left side. Is there any?
If it was engine oil that pushed out, the only thing that would do that would be massive crankshaft overpressure from a blocked PCV system. On the left front of the engine there is a large rubber snout looking thing with one big pipe coming out of it. Loosen the clamp at the base and take the snout off. Underneath is a metal gauze filled oil separator that will lift out. They get plugged up. Soak it in solvent, blow it out till air passes thru it easily. They are not available new, so clean yours well. There is also a PCV valve bëween the front of the left air cleaner and a pipe that attaches to both intake manifolds. Make sure it is clear and clean. It should rattle when shaken.

​​​​

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-20-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,092 Likes on 2,041 Posts

pmXJSHE84,

Congrats on the purchase, albeit commiserations on teh difficulties you've encountered.

It's difficult to give you a definitive answer but, for what it's worth, here's my observations:

- I think it unlikely that oil pressure can push up the dipstick. If it was up with oil leaking, I think it's more likely the dipstick was already lifted before you started the car.

- As regards white smoke coming from under the bonnet, that doesn't feel as if it would be oil coming from the dipstick. I think you'd have to lose quite a lot of oil to create smoke coming from under the bonnet and I just don't think you could lose that much out of the dipstick on that single drive.

- The oil pressure light staying on when you very first crank an engine is also quite normal.

- In terms of moving forward, I would start by doing the following:

- Ensure you have fuel in the tank! Don't just rely on the fuel gauge
- Check the oil level with the dipstick. Note the level and fill up as necessary.
- Remove one of the sparkplugs and check for spark at sparkplug when cranking the engine. (You need to earth the plug to the cylinder head or similar)
- Turn the ignition fully off. Open the boot (trunk) and get someone to turn on the ignition (not cranking the ignition) whilst you listen for the fuel pump running for a few seconds then cutting out.

If all of the above check out satisfactorily, replace the sparkplug, crank the engine and see what happens, then report back.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 11-19-2021 at 12:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Grant Francis (11-20-2021), Greg in France (11-20-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 12:38 PM

All,

First off, thanks both for your responses. As jal1234 called out I wrongly stated the oil dipstick, it was actually the transmission dipstick and thus the transmission oil spilled over (below is a snapshot). I will review both of your notes/suggestions after I wrap up the work day and report back (likely tomorrow morning). Apologies for my lack of knowledge. Thanks again for taking the time to review and I'll report back ASAP.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:24 AM
Received 328 Likes on 212 Posts

Is the transmission fluid reddish brownish, or more like a strawberry milkshake?

I ask because my transmission dipstick was popping out and overflowing because radiator antifreeze got into the transmission. There is a transmission cooler built into the radiator, and a small leak between the two will pump antifreeze into your transmission. The transmission whips the two together into a pink strawberry milkshake emulsification. Pretty soon you have more stuff in there than it can hold and it barfs out the top of the dipstick.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagsandmgs:
Doug (11-20-2021), Greg in France (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 01:30 PM

jal1234,

Thanks for providing these details. I took apart the PVC system and am currently soaking the metal gauze oil separator and waiting to blow air through it. I also cleaned the oil separator hose covering and the pipe that attached to the hose covering (both were quite clogged). Lastly, I cleaned the air filter (I need a new one for sure) and the air filter housing. I am going to put them all back together and will report back.

See photos below of some of the items. If more photos would help, I'll take them.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:31 PM

Paul,
Apologies for the delay in responding. I am going to finish clearing out the oil separator and if no luck after that will walk through your steps. Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:32 PM

Jagsandmgs,
Thanks for reviewing the details. The fluid was reddish light brown. I haven't see anything that resembles a pink strawberry shake, but will keep my eye out. Thanks,

Old 11-20-2021, 04:59 PM

So I was told that you should be able to shine a light through your oil separator to ensure it is properly cleaned. Does anyone know if the pic below is good enough or if I should keep trying to clean it? I am using Gunk carb cleaner and soaking, drying and then, air blowing w/ compressed air.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

That's fine.
It sounds like your issue isn't engine related, with oil coming out of the transmission. The other poster suggesting an issue with the trans oil cooler leaking coolant from the radiator may be right on point. I can't think of anything else that would cause the transmission to puke like that.

Old 11-21-2021, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,321 Likes on 5,471 Posts

The transmission breather might have been blocked? It is a tiny outlet on the top of the unit, and impossible to get to (see photo). I suppose it is possible that if the car had not been driven for ages that some sort of hydraulic lock or airlock-type blockage cause the problem? I would change the fluid, put in a new filter and see how it goes.

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Doug (11-21-2021), Grant Francis (11-21-2021), ptjs1 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 03:54 AM
Received 10,511 Likes on 6,943 Posts

I am with Greg on this 100%.

The look of that filter thingy indicates a terribly neglected car, sorry its your pride and joy, but facts is facts.

I ditch that filter on all my V12 engines, and that simple process stopped a lot of odd behaviour, and leaks.

Trans fluid the colour you describe is also adding to the neglect.

Laugh if you will, I did. Some owners have filled the trans fluid WITHOUT the engine running, words escape me, and those that do not are not allowed on here. That will give the dipstick launch you have had. YES, a blocked breather will also, but that is rare in the main scheme of things Jaguar.

I would also be very suspect of the Vac modulator, and its hose to the rear of the A Bank inlet manifold. USUALLY, that failure will suck trans oil into the Inlet, and lay a nice sweet White smoke screen out the RH exhaust pipe. Transmission operation is terrible also.

Have a read of the stickies at the top, and the one on "work paper........., may give you a lot of ideas.

Good luck.

I have retrieved far worse than that, so dont get downhearted, please.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Doug (11-21-2021), Dukejag (11-23-2021), Greg in France (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 10:54 AM

So update:
  1. I cleaned out the PCV system (oil separator and surrounding hoses/tubes).
  2. Went to inspect the distributor cap and spark plugs and found the situation below (see photos). It looks like one of the A or B lines in is broken and not connected (I think it is the A line). Clearly this is either the acute issue or compounding the problem causing it not to start. Looks like I'll need a new distributor cap (amongst other items).

I think the line that is broken is the A line

Old 11-21-2021, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Worry not. That is the distributor ventialtion line, NOT an HT lead to the plugs. Probably a new cap is a good idea, buth that plastic spigot can be glued back in place. If you look at thr dizzy top, inside the ring of plug HT leads, you will see where it was attached.

Grant Francis (11-22-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 11:24 AM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

If your car is an ‘84 (from your username) then you have a Lucas distributor. One coil feeds the whole distributor. There’s a second coil that feeds the first one, but it’s not the later system with two coils. The diagram you posted is for the later Marelli system.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:31 AM

Thanks both the details. I am going to try and glue back on the spigot. Back to the drawing board then on why it won't start!

Old 11-21-2021, 11:59 AM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

Back to basics is probably the best technique. Do you have gas in the tank? Do you have gas at the fuel rail? Fuel pressure? Spark? It was running, so it’s probably something simple. Don’t trust the gas gauge until you know the car.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:40 PM
Received 10,511 Likes on 6,943 Posts

Have a read of my stickie at the top of this section., "no start of a HE.......".
Might give you a clue or 3.

Greg has covered the vent situation.

The lead drawing you have in your post is NOT your car. That drawing in the Marelli system, 1989 to end of production, very different beast.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pmXJSHE1984
Thanks both the details. I am going to try and glue back on the spigot. Back to the drawing board then on why it won't start!
Do not do that, you will not live to regret it. It must be replaced by a proper part.

Grant Francis (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 08:43 AM

Update. It is not a battery issue (that has been tested), there is gas in the vehicle (I topped some off), and the start sounds like it is working. It seems to be that the fuel pump issue. When I know more I'll report back.

Quick Reply: XJS HE 84 Oil spill from dip stick