XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Jagger
Hi Keith, Paul here, new member to forum, your xjs looks awesome with the quads,can i trouble you to send any info and pics..so looking forward to the conversion. Thanks
Cheers, Paul
Paul, I did the swap on my '92 to go to the quads. It's not that difficult, with the exception of reaching one of the torx bolts holding the headlight assembly to the frame. As far as the wiring, I did 'cheat' and buy the quad headlight kit from SNG barratt. The wiring on this kit a direct plug in to the existing wiring, so I didn't have to splice wires or anything. The quality of the SNG kit and the lights is very good imo.

To remove the old lights, release the 2 headlight adjustment cables that are secured to the inside of each inner fender. You can feed the cables through the fender and access the rear of each headlight via a panel in each front wheel well.

Remove the 3 screws from each chrome trip piece to remove those pieces from the headlight - one of them is on top, only accessible with bonnett up, and easier with a short screwdriver. Then there are 4-5 torx bolts (t30 I think) holding the headlight assembly to the frame. You'll need an extended length screwdriver with torx end to reach them. As I said, one of them on mine was very difficult to reach. On my car (LHD), it was the one at about 1 o'clock on the passenger side and 11 o'clock on the driver side (facing the headlight). Basically reverse the process with the quad lamps.

I tried attaching a few photos.

Attached Thumbnails  XJS headlight conversion-92xjs-headlight-photos-002.jpg    XJS headlight conversion-92xjs-headlight-photos-004.jpg    XJS headlight conversion-92xjs-headlight-photos-003.jpg    XJS headlight conversion-92xjs-headlight-photos-018.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (05-22-2014)
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts
Default XJS headlights, 78 roadster

i did mine a little different, 16yrs ago, today if i were to do over ,id use HIDS.

outside is hiway driving lights, sealed beam.

inside lights projector beams,

Attached Thumbnails  XJS headlight conversion-jag-rodstr-005.jpg    XJS headlight conversion-r1-07368-018a.jpg  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith
I love my 95 XJS 2+2 convertable, 6.0 V-12. Just can't stand the Euro style headlights. Love the pre-facelift quad headlights. Solution: Just replaced my Euro style headlights with lights from an 88 XJS. Now have the best of two worlds, in my opinion. The reason I'm posting this, is, just in case any other post-facelift owners want to do the same thing, to let them know it is do-able. Most people I've spoken with are under the impression that the two cars were changed so much, that the lights were not interchangeable. The conversion is a direct fit, all the wiring is color coded the same, just the plugs are different, so I used spade connectors to connect the wires. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to show pictures of the before and after conversion. Also help with any details if needed. Regards. Keith.
Keith, if i could get some details on doing this, I would be MOST appreciative.... This is my first "newer" British car in many years.. the last being a 1977 MGB. I have some familiarity with Lucas Electronic's and their quirks, but I am not sure if while under the Ford regime if anything was changed in that respect.

I have a guy who has the sealed beam lamps from a 1991, and in trade he wants my Euro styled ones, which like you, I can't stand the look of. Any pictures/ notes/ hints and or tips on doing this, I would GREATLY appreciate..... I will post some before and after's too.... Would personal e-mail be better for this? If so I will send it your way via personal through here, and let you decide.

Thanks,

Donovan

Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Ha ha , I just swapped my 88 quads out for the euro glass lamps. Took me several tries to get two that matched well enough. It seems a big problem with these is the silver lining fades off especially top,and bottom in the back of housing. I actually used a piece of cloth on a metal rod and used chrome bumper spray to carefully re silver.
That alone greatly improved lite output. Then I changed bulbs to the newer sylvania hyper white bulbs and I can assure you the light is amazing! WAY better than my old quads.
I, personally, dislike the quads after hearing how much they remind friends of that movie Christine".
I have a set of quads with everything needed and I even have the cool led halo replacement bulbs as well. The led halo rings do need to be wired separately either to park lights or can be wired to stay on ad drl, ie BMW.
Let me know if anyone is interested.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pictures?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi All,
I must have a good set of original headlights as I have no issue with brightness, in fact I would go so far as to say that they are better than my wifes' 2005 A4.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by philhef
Ha ha , I just swapped my 88 quads out for the euro glass lamps. Took me several tries to get two that matched well enough. It seems a big problem with these is the silver lining fades off especially top,and bottom in the back of housing. I actually used a piece of cloth on a metal rod and used chrome bumper spray to carefully re silver.
That alone greatly improved lite output. Then I changed bulbs to the newer sylvania hyper white bulbs and I can assure you the light is amazing! WAY better than my old quads.
I, personally, dislike the quads after hearing how much they remind friends of that movie Christine".
I have a set of quads with everything needed and I even have the cool led halo replacement bulbs as well. The led halo rings do need to be wired separately either to park lights or can be wired to stay on ad drl, ie BMW.
Let me know if anyone is interested.
Bit of an appearance difference in a '56 Plymouth Fury and a XJS I would say though..... Besides I liked Christine...

Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NtAFord
Bit of an appearance difference in a '56 Plymouth Fury and a XJS I would say though..... Besides I liked Christine...
Yeah I know,I actually like the movie and book too. Think I'm just one of the few fans of the euro headlight. The quads simply remind me of 60's muscle cars and I think the euro lights just look right on it.
The xjs was never supposed to have quads but the USA market wouldn't allow the single units due to dot regulations.
Reminds me of my 2010 XF lights. Jaguar was worried the XF was too extreme for traditional buyers so they tried to keep that hooded round headlamp appearance giving a surprised cat eye look! But the face lift sorted out that issue with the original concept sleek headlamps.
Sometimes I think Jaguar doesn't trust their own instincts for change. Look at the xjs, longest running model in jaguar history and most provocative leap in design from previous models. (Of course they couldn't afford to introduce a new model either!)

Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith

Yeah, the quads look great on your car. Now you have me thinking about it, though I struggle with the originality issue.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Yeah, the quads look great on your car. Now you have me thinking about it, though I struggle with the originality issue.
Hi.
If you're interested, I have the complete quad headlight assembly from my 88. It has two sets of bulbs, the regular halogen sealed beams, and a set of led halo bulbs with changeable headlamp bulbs.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philhef
Hi.
If you're interested, I have the complete quad headlight assembly from my 88. It has two sets of bulbs, the regular halogen sealed beams, and a set of led halo bulbs with changeable headlamp bulbs.
Well well well...that's awfully tempting, thank you. Do you have a figure in mind (direct message if you prefer)?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mkii250
I would say anything pre-Ford though would be original. Post Ford, not so much so why not? 32 three window coupe's tend to have Chevy transplants in them, the 95 XJS has a Chevy transmission, owned by Ford so. ?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brake buster
Ahh....quad headlights

did you chaps know that is was only standard fit on US cars , not one car produced for Europe had quads fitted, this was because US law didnt allow that type of headlamp when the car was being designed , so the ' euro ' headlight is actually the tru original for the XJS and had to be modified to sell to the US

but i will admit, they do look good with them fitted, but i wont be getting them for my car

BB
Actually, in 1990 jaguar offered a limited "Le Mans Celebration" edition only available in UK with the standard USA quad headlamps.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NtAFord
I would say anything pre-Ford though would be original. Post Ford, not so much so why not? 32 three window coupe's tend to have Chevy transplants in them, the 95 XJS has a Chevy transmission, owned by Ford so. ?
True, and the quad lights are still Jaguar parts. That's settled then.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple fix for the top hitting the back seat is to remove the back and "adjust" the seat frame panel with a hammer and a 2x4. It worked for me.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM
P.L
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I need to change the headlight on my UK car for LHD/German traffic.
Is is possible to put pre-facelift headlights into a facelift car?

Thanks,
Peter.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I find it interesting that those who have UK headlights want to swap for quad and vice vertsa. Should start a thread for headlight exchange.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 386 Posts

Peter,
easy route is to order the quad lights with LH dip and the wiring loom.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by P.L
I need to change the headlight on my UK car for LHD/German traffic.
Is is possible to put pre-facelift headlights into a facelift car?

Thanks,
Peter.
Yes, from what I've seen, any pre facelift quad lights will fit any facelift car. My 95 XJS has 88 lights. A direct fit, except the wire connectors. And according to one of the earlier post on this thread, you can buy a direct fit wiring harness to make the swap.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I have an '89 with euro headlights. I am assuming someone must have changed them in the past and I am thinking of returning to the quad classic look.

Anyone that has done this switch - was the light output significantly less with the quads than the euro? I see one post where the he said the euro seemed brighter, and another post where the quads were very bright even compared to a modern audi. Any first hand experience?

Second, if I'm doing this, I'll have euro style lights to get rid of. Anybody interested in a trade or purchase after my conversion?

Quick Reply: XJS headlight conversion