XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by jnporcello
I have an '89 with euro headlights. I am assuming someone must have changed them in the past and I am thinking of returning to the quad classic look.

Anyone that has done this switch - was the light output significantly less with the quads than the euro? I see one post where the he said the euro seemed brighter, and another post where the quads were very bright even compared to a modern audi. Any first hand experience?

Second, if I'm doing this, I'll have euro style lights to get rid of. Anybody interested in a trade or purchase after my conversion?
If its like my 88 I had, it's not difficult. Mine had both harnesses already there. It should be a simple as finding a set of quad lights, with bezels, removing the glass lenses, unscrewing the 6 clips, using the same screws to install the metal bracket for quads, plug in bulbs and secure the bezels.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Am interested in glass euro. Pm sent to jnporcello

Old 09-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello,

I am out of town, but will check to see if they are glass. I think they are - they are in great shape. Clear glass, no cloudyness or chips. I just like the quad style better. Do you have those you'd like to trade?

Thanks,
nick

Originally Posted by dsetter

Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dsetter
Be sure to get the 6 clips as well. And you'll need to make sure the bottom clips are marked as the bottom clips! I didn't know the sides are different then the bottom clips.
I also remember am issue with wiring the parking bulb. I had to run wires from the side markers because they weren't actually with the wiring loom for the headlamps.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jnporcello
Hello,

I am out of town, but will check to see if they are glass. I think they are - they are in great shape. Clear glass, no cloudyness or chips. I just like the quad style better. Do you have those you'd like to trade?

Thanks,
nick
Hi Nick, Sorry, I have a poor mismatched set of Euro that I would like to tidy up.
Hoep your trip goes well and we can do a Deal. I am in Nor Cal area.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestion

I have a 1988 XJS with the quad light. Since 2 of the light is not working, I am thinking of converting it to HID or halo...any suggestions ?

Old 05-21-2014, 05:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello I wanted to revive this thread to see if I could get some advice on my headlights.

We have a 95 with the Euro lights and unfortunately, at some point in the past one of them was broken (the lense anyway) and now we have lenses which don't match, ie they are both OEM leaper lenses, but one is clearly older and more yellow than the other...

Anyway we really want to update or reconfigure these headlamps as they are a big detractor of the looks of the car.

I tried to find the SNG link to the quad conversion but I didn't see it in this thread. can someone repost it? Also, can the OP repost the links to his tutorial on converting his facelift XJS to the older quad style?

Finally, what kind of cost is associated with acquiring a good set of OEM quads? And the cost of the wiring conversion? forgive me I am only viewing the site on a mobile device, maybe I cannot see the earlier links which might answer my questions. thanks .

Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 95XJSconv
Hello I wanted to revive this thread to see if I could get some advice on my headlights.

We have a 95 with the Euro lights and unfortunately, at some point in the past one of them was broken (the lense anyway) and now we have lenses which don't match, ie they are both OEM leaper lenses, but one is clearly older and more yellow than the other...

Anyway we really want to update or reconfigure these headlamps as they are a big detractor of the looks of the car.

I tried to find the SNG link to the quad conversion but I didn't see it in this thread. can someone repost it? Also, can the OP repost the links to his tutorial on converting his facelift XJS to the older quad style?

Finally, what kind of cost is associated with acquiring a good set of OEM quads? And the cost of the wiring conversion? forgive me I am only viewing the site on a mobile device, maybe I cannot see the earlier links which might answer my questions. thanks .
You might be in luck. I happen to have a set of quads that came from a 1991 XJS that I was intending on putting into my 95. He had the quads (American style from what I understand) and wanted the Euro styles I had, so we traded. I have the brackets, harnesses, bulbs, bezels and pretty much everything from the light bucket for right and left. Even some detailed pictures and instructions he had written that I would be more than happy to mail out along with the lamps if you wanted them.

I had to sell my 95 because it was more than I had resources for, let alone space to do the work myself. But I kept the lamps. NOW, I have an 89, that has the quads, so I no longer need the ones from the 91. Price? No idea. Maybe look around on the 'net and see what you find and I will halve it?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NtAFord
You might be in luck. I happen to have a set of quads that came from a 1991 XJS that I was intending on putting into my 95. He had the quads (American style from what I understand) and wanted the Euro styles I had, so we traded. I have the brackets, harnesses, bulbs, bezels and pretty much everything from the light bucket for right and left. Even some detailed pictures and instructions he had written that I would be more than happy to mail out along with the lamps if you wanted them.

I had to sell my 95 because it was more than I had resources for, let alone space to do the work myself. But I kept the lamps. NOW, I have an 89, that has the quads, so I no longer need the ones from the 91. Price? No idea. Maybe look around on the 'net and see what you find and I will halve it?
hmm that sounds pretty tempting but since our car is a group project I need to get some feedback from the Board of Directors before I commit to anything...

any way you could email me a few photos? then we can talk about the price.

my email is 95xjsconv@gmail.com

include a list of any other parts you might have left over, maybe we can do a package deal...

thanks for letting me know

Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 95XJSconv

www.sngbarratt.com/PartSearchResults.aspx?partno=SBS9167

Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem with my 1994 xjs conv. It was the old convertible top that had been stretched over years of use. New top corrected the problem.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Default I just got my dual headlight

Hi would you be kind to send me some pics on the connections?Thanks....Art

Originally Posted by Keith
I love my 95 XJS 2+2 convertable, 6.0 V-12. Just can't stand the Euro style headlights. Love the pre-facelift quad headlights. Solution: Just replaced my Euro style headlights with lights from an 88 XJS. Now have the best of two worlds, in my opinion. The reason I'm posting this, is, just in case any other post-facelift owners want to do the same thing, to let them know it is do-able. Most people I've spoken with are under the impression that the two cars were changed so much, that the lights were not interchangeable. The conversion is a direct fit, all the wiring is color coded the same, just the plugs are different, so I used spade connectors to connect the wires. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to show pictures of the before and after conversion. Also help with any details if needed. Regards. Keith.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Default My 1988 Headlights

Being a new jag owner can you tell me what type of headlights are on my xj-sc ? I like the look of the quads but am happy with these also,just wondered if they were a option when it was purchased. Thanks, Cheers
also, the paint is near perfect only reflections on the Bonnet

Attached Thumbnails  XJS headlight conversion-img_1390.jpg  
Old 09-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 380 Posts

I believe that your car would have had the quad lights. A PO might have changed them to the "euro" style headlight.

The following users liked this post:
88xj-sc (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 88xj-sc
Being a new jag owner can you tell me what type of headlights are on my xj-sc ? I like the look of the quads but am happy with these also,just wondered if they were a option when it was purchased. Thanks, Cheers
also, the paint is near perfect only reflections on the Bonnet
I had an 88 that I changed to the glass euro style. When I changed the standard halogen to a very high powered Phillips halogen bulb from autozone, I believe about 60.00 a pair, they were light years apart in brightness and color, and I changed the small parking lights in them to the new led T10 bulb as well. Totally modernized the look without changing any fixtures. Actually changed all bulbs to led, even dash ( not that easy but not too bad with patience.)  XJS headlight conversion-image.jpg

The following users liked this post:
88xj-sc (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philhef
I had an 88 that I changed to the glass euro style. When I changed the standard halogen to a very high powered Phillips halogen bulb from autozone, I believe about 60.00 a pair, they were light years apart in brightness and color, and I changed the small parking lights in them to the new led T10 bulb as well. Totally modernized the look without changing any fixtures. Actually changed all bulbs to led, even dash ( not that easy but not too bad with patience.) Attachment 97070
I did switch back to green led bulbs in the fascia but it looked so much better even with that I could see them at night!!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

XJS headlight conversion-image.jpg
One other fun thing I did was addd an led side lit strip to each tail light to the parking lights. Inside. They don't show at all until you turn on the lights. Could be added to brake lights instead

Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Top hitting back seat during retraction

Originally Posted by RagJag
I also wondered if anyone had a top hitting the seat when lowring. I have to push it back a little as it is going down to get it to not hang. Just the left side hits. Adjustment??
Bobby

I had the same issue with my "94 xjs. It was because the top had stretched due to age, and there was no more adjustment I could make at the closure hooks. I eventually got a new top and solved the problem.

Jaglover02

Old 10-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This is why im looking into retro fitting my low beams with bi xenon projectors they give amazing light and ill Even have dual Hl Beams

Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member

You should check with HID Illusionz. He just modified my XF headlights. He does amazing work. I now wish I'd have found the $ to have more upgrades than just blacking the interior.

Quick Reply: XJS headlight conversion