XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Changing to quad lights from 1993 Euro light XJS

I don't know where these guys are getting their lights from but I just spent four hours MAKING one of the quad lights fit into my car. It is DEFINITELY NOT a straight bolt in on a 1993. What a gigantic pain and now I get to do the other side.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a problem with my conversion as well. The assembly bolted up to the holes in the fender w/o any problems but now I'm having trouble getting the chrome trim rings to line up and attach. It seems that I need to put spacers behind the assembly to bring it forward enough to secure the trim. This seems to be especially true with the side screws lining up with the tabs on the head light bracket. Am I overlooking something?

Old 09-04-2019, 06:45 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

This may be of interest to anyone reading this post. I have a set of dual headlights that I bought when I bought the XJS. I never put them on and they are still on the box I received them in. If you are interested in purchasing any, PM me.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 09-04-2019, 07:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by n1948bj
I'm having a problem with my conversion as well. The assembly bolted up to the holes in the fender w/o any problems but now I'm having trouble getting the chrome trim rings to line up and attach. It seems that I need to put spacers behind the assembly to bring it forward enough to secure the trim. This seems to be especially true with the side screws lining up with the tabs on the head light bracket. Am I overlooking something?
I'm starting to wonder now if the used lights I got were for a right hand drive. I fought and fought to get the left one in especially the trim ring but the right one bolted right in with a minimal amount of adjustment for the trim ring. I did buy the sng Barrett wiring adapter kit so they plugged right in. Everything is hooked up and working now

Old 01-11-2020, 11:11 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Headlamp Quad Conversion - any problems?

My 92 XJS has poor quality headlamps largely, I believe, due to deterioration of the lenses which are distinctly yellow. I converted all lighting in the car to LEDs. The dash lights now are fabulous - they were invisible in bright sunlight before but now are great.

But the conversion of the headlights to LED did not help at all, as I say, due to the poor lens state.

As a result I am thinking to go to Quad lights so that I can actually see when driving at night!

There are lots of threads where people talk about the conversion from Euro style to Quad lights and most appear to be happy with the change.

Are there any people with regrets, or that had problems with this? I ask so that before I fork out lots of money for the conversion kit I know the pros but also the cons.
I certainly have wondered whether I will have any issues given that I already did the LED conversion and can I keep everything LED except the headlights?
(And perhaps another question is what possible headlights can be put into the quad system - could they be LED?)

Thanks in advance
Bill

Old 01-11-2020, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

my LED lights , with glass lens,s , Projector beams on inside housing!
all tail lights LEDs, but silly yellow lens, not good in bright sun, so a 20 cell BAR light mounted up close to lens!, now perfect!
ron

LED outside, projector beam inside

20 cell bar stop lights, rest LEDs

The following users liked this post:
Detroit Bull (01-02-2022)
Old 01-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

So these "glass lenses" were the original lenses on European cars, way back? I assume these are not available anywhere now?

Mine are definitely crappy plastic lenses and hopeless for letting light through.

Bill

ronbros (01-12-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by billmgeo
So these "glass lenses" were the original lenses on European cars, way back? I assume these are not available anywhere now?

Mine are definitely crappy plastic lenses and hopeless for letting light through.

Bill
YES GLASS lens , if you close they are different from each other, but does not seem to make any difference driving, what i found was glass were different , depending on the country the cars were going ship to!
what a bunch of BS ,with Europe/UK stuff!
ron

Old 01-12-2020, 04:07 PM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Hello Bill

Did you see this post from Clarke?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ie-car-223534/

Mine are glass - but from 2 different models. The original type has lost a lot of the reflection material behind where the high beam bulb site. So I am hoping my spotlights make up for it.

If they don't - or i am not happy - I will also go down the Clarke road in the future

Cheers
Steve

Old 01-13-2020, 07:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

@ronbros
Ron - Can you share a little more info regarding the LED bar lights you installed for the rear turn signal lamps?
Specific part number / where purchased and how you mounted if possible.

Love what you have done with your car and thanks for sharing your mods; I travel to Austin quite a bit and hopefully no problem on your end if some random stranger approaches you while out and about.

Best,
Steve

Old 01-13-2020, 08:37 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

If anyone is interested, I bought some US Quad style headlamps on ebay a few years ago when I first bought my XJS. However, the European style grew on me and I have never installed the quad lights. If anyone is interested in them, PM me.

ronbros (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

turn bar LED
Originally Posted by CZSteve
@ronbros
Ron - Can you share a little more info regarding the LED bar lights you installed for the rear turn signal lamps?
Specific part number / where purchased and how you mounted if possible.

Love what you have done with your car and thanks for sharing your mods; I travel to Austin quite a bit and hopefully no problem on your end if some random stranger approaches you while out and about.

Best,
Steve
HI CZ , i bought the bar lights at local WALMART, cost 2 yrs ago was $18. dollars, generic brand, the old factory 78 yellow turn lights useless, almost got me rear ended 2 times,brakes sqquellin behind me ,scary!
i just mounted them with the pieces in the kit that came in box, one side screwed in , and some 2 side tape, so no chance of movement!
yes call me when in town , we can look over our cars, 386-295-7254.
ron

Last edited by ronbros; 01-13-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

@ronbros Thanks for the additional info and contact info; next time I'm in Austin I'll try to catch up with ya if OK - unfortunately my Austin trips are often very hectic with limited time bandwidth but I'd love to catch up with you if possible and see your car first hand,

Best,
Steve

Old 05-25-2021, 06:32 PM
Default XJS Quads

Originally Posted by philhef
Ha ha , I just swapped my 88 quads out for the euro glass lamps. Took me several tries to get two that matched well enough. It seems a big problem with these is the silver lining fades off especially top,and bottom in the back of housing. I actually used a piece of cloth on a metal rod and used chrome bumper spray to carefully re silver.
That alone greatly improved lite output. Then I changed bulbs to the newer sylvania hyper white bulbs and I can assure you the light is amazing! WAY better than my old quads.
I, personally, dislike the quads after hearing how much they remind friends of that movie Christine".
I have a set of quads with everything needed and I even have the cool led halo replacement bulbs as well. The led halo rings do need to be wired separately either to park lights or can be wired to stay on ad drl, ie BMW.
Let me know if anyone is interested.
Are the quads still available?

Old 05-25-2021, 06:44 PM

Keith, please send photo's to me, davemv2002@yahoo.com

Thanks

Old 05-26-2021, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

One day the carrellos will be highly sought after... i do like the quads

Greg in France (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewtech
One day the carrellos will be highly sought after... i do like the quads
100% correct, and LHD versions are rare as hens' teeth.