XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
i like the brightness. I just want a little more warmth to mimic the halogen.
Like I said... they come in different temperatures. I likes it cold, and pure white, on my white car. No mimicking. In your case, order a set of the temp you want and go driving. Simple.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by inertian
After much consideration, I ordered a set of LED headlights and reverse lights from Gil Keane at Better Car Lighting in the UK. All my questions were answered promptly and professionally, with a good dose of humor thrown in as well.

Currently running Sylvania 9004 SilverStar Ultra Halogens, as reviews indicated they were the best/brightest I could get in halogens (that were available locally). I've driven with these at night only a few times, and they are quite good. However, my local roads are almost uniformly well lit. Want the LEDs because I sometimes travel at night to somewhat more remote areas with little to no road lighting.

More as it happens.
those Sylvanias are never going to give you the brightness you need, no matter what. Its a waste of money since you will be far happier once the LED’s go in. Cant wait to see some pics.

Old 05-29-2021, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bigcatrescue
I'm still learning about LEDs but that explains why they seem to be more prone to failure (at least seem to be more finicky). Or maybe I just get unlucky with a bad egg every once in a while. The thing is these bulbs are made all over (mostly China I bet) and quality control is questionable. I've tried all brands. I'm speaking of floodlights here (household) and ceiling can lights of which I have at least 50 inside and another 20 or more outside. As for automotive LED lights I do not have any experience with them - but perhaps my wife's 2015 ML350 has them? Haven't had it long enough to know yet.
I had the same concerns. I drive a an Alfa Romeo also, and when I had my shop replace the Clutch recently, I inquired about their LED bulb selection. The shop owner only installs Lucas lighting LEDs because he never gets a car returning with busted LEDs. He’s tried several brands and has settled on these for their reliability. Lamborghini guys dont want cheap lighting, or needing to return for a malfunctioning bulb. So that was good enough for me.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were running some expensive Incandescent halogen headlight bulbs in my wife's '92 XJS coupe as well., but with the Euro Style headlights - not impressed (and the lenses are still clear). We finally spent the money for a set of the better rated (HR) LED headlight bulbs. A fairly simple install, and WOW - completely blew the Halogens away - not quite as good as the OEM LED headlights in my 650i GC, but in the ball park. We consider them worth the money and warranty included..

Old 05-30-2021, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d

Hmmm the '95 didn't have sealed beam quad headlight, it has the one piece Euro headlight. I believe some came with glass fronts and later ones with plastic fronts. Both kinds take H4 bulbs accessible from a removable panel in the wheel arch / fender .

The main problem with US sealed beams is that they not only don't dip to the side they also have a much lower wattage than H4 bulbs.

My '92 MY with wires, quad headlights and a small leaper, which uses the same holes as the growler so l can change out at will..:-)
looks great except for the leaper. Id remove it and have it sealed and spot matched. You will be a lot happier.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:40 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

H4 bulbs for the UK model, 9004 bulbs for the USA model (ask me how I know)...