XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Insurance: Legal Protection do I really need it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,637 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Lots of good advice already given.
Allow me to offer my personal and somewhat sceptical alternative view on all insurance including car cover.
I once believed naively that insurance companies provided a service to protect the insured from financial losses incurred due to accident/fire/theft.
My view is more sceptical, bordering on cynical.
Insurance companies are businesses that aim to make a profit by offering for sale products (insurance coverage) at prices that maximise income , by seeking to convince you that more cover equals better cover, then if a claim situation occurs they employ 'loss adjusters' who seek to minimise the payout.
They are not beyond seeking to manipulate purchasing decisions by trying to instill fear of 'what if' scenarios.

Each year I insure my car, each successive year I don't claim I am notified that my "no claims discount" has been increased as a consequence of being a lower risk, yet each year the renewal premium required for cover increases.

Not suggesting you follow my lead of not giving in to the fear factor, but merely giving an alternative opinion to consider.
Hi Paul

You may not be surprised to hear, that I agree with every single thing that you have said, including the use of loss adjusters to minimize your Claim.

But as for the 'No Claims Bonus' idea, please don't get me started!

How can it be that each of your Cars, can earn its own 'No Claims Bonus'

While something like an Accident, no matter how 'minor' it may be, can affect the future Premium of both Cars.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Paul:

He,he!!! I am in the process of renewing my home and auto insurance. I have dealt with an agent for several years now that I trust. Before that it was a "useless" agent and a company that was incompetent. I had a claim. As a professional, I knew it was covered. They disagreed. I went to Small Claim Court. I presented my case. Their Adjuster presented theirs. Although, I am biased, my presentation was far stronger. I won!! I got paid. They did not even file the "Satisfaction of Judgement". Did I show them how? One guess.

In business for myself, I used "Carl Hutchins, Jr. Claim and Loss Adjuster" as my business name. There is a difference in Claim vs Loss.

Claim is the investigation and disposition of demands on the insured as a result of an accident. or possibly in contract. Settled, denied or defended.

Several of my clients insured contractors. Mostly small, but a few big ones!! I could get along with most. I spoke the language. Most were apologetic at having "screwed up". I calmed them down by telling them that if those things did not happen, I would have to find another way to earn a living.

One fellow was different. Indeed, he had screwed up. When we met, he told me that "I don't like or trust insurance adjustors". I responded, "I trust most contractors and like them". A goodly source of my income. We exchanged laughter and the claim went well. The damaged business was an artist's studio. We worked out a dollar settlement. I still remember his statue. WWI aviator, Frank Luke" in full leather flight gear. He was impressed when I told him that I was aware of the exploits. Frank Luke was a really small man!

Loss is the investigation, determination of loss and the policy application of damage to the insured's property.

The former adversarial, the latter far less. Most of the time here, I and the insured have reached agreement on the "scope of the loss", and then the value involved. I could write a detailed "Request for Bids". Assist in finding bidding contractors with skills to o that kind of work. And analyze the bids for accuracy and reality. A low bid, might be incomplete and therefore not actually the low bid.

My contacts with so many folks in so many fields enhanced my life a lot.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (01-14-2017)