XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS - Into the Unknown

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020 | 09:25 PM
|
Default XJS - Into the Unknown

Dear XJS Enthusiasts,
Greetings. I own a 1993 Daimler Double Six Insignia (V12, 5.9L). When purchased, it was in excellent condition externally, but hadn't really been loved for years within! Only 49,000km. I got it for a bargain and then subsequently put roughly 2.5 times purchase price replacing suspension, steering, ignition coils, shocks, distributor, leads, plugs, remove self-levelling system, brake pads, etc (all Jaguar or Lemforder parts). I knew it would cost a lot to fix everything and it has all been worth it. I have had 8 years of trouble free driving. Its a beauty and all I can say is that nothing runs like a Jaguar V12 when it runs well. Its amazing.

Now, I am tempted by a 1992 XJS, post face lift. The car I am looking at is also a V12 but it is the 5.3L, not the 5.9L I am familiar with.

I know that I will have to replace front and rear suspension, probably ignition coils, distributor, etc. as with the Daimler. But, at least the fuel hoses and injector seals have already been replaced.

What I don't know is this: the engine has a lot of wires bound together with black electrical tape. (see photos) which I haven't before come across.

Is this the sign of poor maintenance or something more sinister such as a previous fire in your experienced opinions? Is it something to run away from?

I have no experience with an XJS or the 5.3L v12 so any guidance or opinions would be much appreciated.

Old 11-21-2020 | 09:53 AM

Hi CharlesHK,
Yes, XJ-S is known to have engine fire issues when neglected injector lines crack and start to leak. But just because the harness is taped does not mean there was a fire. I used electrical tape on some of the wiring on my 1991 simply because I wanted to protect the harnesses where the original cloth binding was frayed & deteriorated. With that said, looking at the 4th photo there does appear to be some melting on the connector insulators on the passenger side airbox, but I don't see signs in the other photos, so it is hard to make a conclusion about fire. Although, judging from the photos, one can conclude the car has not been maintained to a good standard, so I would proceed cautiously. Almost anything can be refurbished, so it comes down to price of the car, cost of necessary repairs, and your desire to work on the project.

Cheers, Richard

The following 2 users liked this post by RM9700:
Doug (11-21-2020), Grant Francis (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020 | 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

What RM said ^^^^

Cheers
DD

Old 11-22-2020 | 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

I have a 92 V12 as well. The wiring in the first photo looks like they've moved the loom out the valley (known as the Valley of Death for a good reason). This isn't itself a bad thing, of course. Shows they're aware of the potential issues (that said, my wiring is still fine). Doesn't look very neat, mind.
The second photo (I only see two) showing the right A Bank air cleaner box looks dreadful. How is that air cleaner box so rusty? Mine's the same year, and apart from a spot of dust, is in perfect condition. In fact the whole engine looks fairly rusty. There's been some crude bodging with sealant as well. This car better be very, very cheap to make anyone tempted. Or have a very good body and interior.
For comparison, here's my engine showing the same general area as your second photo of the airbox.

Note how the air valve is inserted. Just a small O-ring. Also note the extreme lack of rust....

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020 | 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Also the rod that comes from the throttle and heads to that black vacuum thing has a part missing (4, ebc 8031) for the cruise control. As it sits that rod can get stuck and might hold the throttle full open. Not a good thing when you want to stop....... Part is available. https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

https://www.terrysjag.com/product//EBC8031.html

Might be an idea to put your location in your profile as it helps with the answers

Last edited by malc4d; 11-22-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2020 | 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CharlesHK
But, at least the fuel hoses and injector seals have already been replaced.
Those were probably replaced because they were the source of the fire.

Old 11-22-2020 | 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

That missing cruise control grommet is an easy fix, at least. Mine got old and cracked, and was replaced very easily indeed. No issues with the throttle jamming open; I just couldn't use the cruise control.
The air conditioner on your potential purchase has also been fiddled with, it seems. The pipes to and from the compressor are quite different to mine. It's possible yours has been replaced with the Sanden compressor used in the later V12 Daimlers. That should help with airflow through the vee, at least.

Old 11-22-2020 | 08:41 PM
|
Default Updated engine photo

Greetings. Thanks to everyone who has pointed out an interesting and potentially worrisome feature of this engine as it now stands. I have attached a larger perspective photo that might give further insight!

Old 11-22-2020 | 09:53 PM

Possible fire retardant on the valve covers?

Old 11-22-2020 | 10:23 PM
|

Do you mean the greyish looking substance on black valve covers?

Old 11-23-2020 | 02:15 AM
Veteran Member

A few things I noted:
The fuel hose (non-standard blue hose) connector is very rusty indeed. Hope it doesn't leak.
Does look like the Sanden, or at least a non-standard aircon compressor.
Left-hand relays (blue cubes) hanging off loose.
I wonder if the blackened bits of the inner manifolds are the result of a fire....
There might be issues with using worm drive clamps on the two crossover fuel hoses. It's not factory standard, at any rate.
What colour is the main fan? Yellow or black?
Not sure what those yellow-tipped wires near the firewall are. Extra earths?
Quite a bit of rust on that engine. Even if it runs fine, it might be a bother undoing nuts and bolts when needed....

For comparison, here's my 1992 V12 engine bay as of January this year.

From directly above

From the port side

Old 11-23-2020 | 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
The fuel hose (non-standard blue hose) connector is very rusty indeed. Hope it doesn't leak.
That and some other parts that are very rusty, makes me suspect that the cadmium protective finish was compromised by the excessive heat of a fire.