XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Lower wishbone bushs

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

So basically someone has given you a poly bushing to install with a lifetime warranty.

It's a $10 part which will take you an entire weekend to replace.

Doesn't seem like a very good warranty.

You might want to reconsider installing rubber which will seem to last you long enough to forget this whole mess to begin with. It's still not too late.

You know he's going to blame a faulty install when you try to collect on that warranty anyways.... And even then he'll probably want you to pay for shipping and handling which will probably make him whole.

It's not too late. I think you're fixing something that ain't broke. (by replacing the rubber with poly. It served the car well for this long, I think that's a fair deal)

Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

So basically someone has given you a poly bushing to install with a lifetime warranty.

It's a $10 part which will take you an entire weekend to replace.

Doesn't seem like a very good warranty.
The darn things cost nearly $100Au and that was on trade, thats only the lowers? The front bush's needed replacing desperately one on the right you can see through the mount were the bush is meant to be, this was picked up on a registration check, so must be done.
If they do fail that quick Ill be taking back more than just the bush's. The funny thing is I went back and saw them and asked the question Poly vs Rubber, again they assured me that the poly will outlast and outperform any rubber bush, just make sure there is plenty of grease on them so they don't squeak.
We will see. Like most things, once I do the job once I know whats involved and how its done, next time round wont be so bad.

Also its 3/8" UNF threaded rod on mine that I have to use as spring holder.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
The spring pans are all 3/8 UNF mine are 7/16 UNF because I drilled and re tapped them due to a cross threaded bolt.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
The darn things cost nearly $100Au and that was on trade, thats only the lowers? The front bush's needed replacing desperately one on the right you can see through the mount were the bush is meant to be, this was picked up on a registration check, so must be done.
If they do fail that quick Ill be taking back more than just the bush's. The funny thing is I went back and saw them and asked the question Poly vs Rubber, again they assured me that the poly will outlast and outperform any rubber bush, just make sure there is plenty of grease on them so they don't squeak.
We will see. Like most things, once I do the job once I know whats involved and how its done, next time round wont be so bad.

My mistake. They sure do go for a lot more than the rubber!

Please keep us posted. It will probably take a few months before a fair assessment can be made regarding whether this is truly an upgrade worth making.

Judging from all the work thats involved, if it really does last forever, it might well be worth it!