XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The XJS market value

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Norfolk Enchants
This ^^^^^, but with luck and perseverance.

Which sorta goes back to what I mentioned earlier in post #51

If a seller can move an XJS easily at $3000 but must depend on luck and perseverance to get $5000, what does that tell us?

Cheers
DD

Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Okay, here is the latest valuations from Hagerty for an 89 XJS Convertible. You can clearly see 1, the large price difference dependent on condition, and 2, the trend over the last year - especially for the right cars.

According to Hagerty, Coupe have not (yet?) seen the same renaissance;

Last edited by Norfolk Enchants; 01-18-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

These are some odd looking graphs!

Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XJS values up in Britain

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Here’s something that bothers me simply because it shouldn’t be a mystery, yet, I can’t put my finger on it, plus the fact that I continue to assess it as a totally unfair phenomenon. Say what?

OK, I realize that the subject of the XJS poor value has come up previously, but I feel like I’m still far from understanding what’s really taking place that generates this absurdity: It’s about how the world sees a Jaguar XJS sold for peanuts in the widely watched car auctions on TV and how every time a Jaguar XJS comes to the block I feel like hiding or going to the bathroom to spare me the embarrassment. That people can get so much car for just an average $5K to $7K tops, compared to getting an ugly mid eighties Mustang with its mediocre front suspension and steering and with nothing special that will sell for at least twice as much as a super handling by comparison, shiny and decent miles XJS. I realize that cars tend to be sold for less money at auctions, but, then, the auction affects all cars similarly, not just the XJS. Even the hosts comments tend to make justice recognizing how beautiful and impressive both, exterior and interior are and how the XJS presents itself at the block and then they’re surprised at how cheaply they end up getting fetched. What pushes the XJS price down so much? Some may say “because it’s a Jaguar and Jaguars don’t keep their price” and I would tend to agree with that, since X300's and X308's don't fetch better prices than equal vintage XJS' at the auction. So, this would mean that an E-Type is not necessarily categorized as "a Jaguar" but rather as a special car based on how much more value than an XJS or X300 they're worth. I just saw a ’61 blue OTS go for $160,000 in “What’s my car worth?” In fact, this car’s owner thought his blue E-Type was worth $200,000. And that wasn’t the only E-Type fetching a great sales price. I know that the E is a special car, but isn’t it a Jaguar, too?

The only way I see an XJS selling for a decent price is when the car has ridiculously low miles, otherwise, they won’t keep good value in the manner that other apparently less deserving cars do. We have many members here from whom I’ve read excellent input in regards to vehicles market value subjects and some input here would be much appreciated.

Finally, is this subject actually contributing for you to keeping your XJS for much longer than you would have, otherwise? Would you have already sold it if its value wasn't so disappointing?

Cheers,
In a recent issue of the weekly online news feed, "Just British" there was an article on the value appreciation of the XJS. There was a chart of the recent values for different model years and body style. I noted that a 1994 xjs coupe was valued at $32,500!

Old 01-19-2016, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaglover02
In a recent issue of the weekly online news feed, "Just British" there was an article on the value appreciation of the XJS. There was a chart of the recent values for different model years and body style. I noted that a 1994 xjs coupe was valued at $32,500!
Oh man, I sure wish that this w ere true here in the US, as well. It'll be a while before that, but with a very low miles example it can get close to that.

Is that actually your XJS in your icon picture? It kind of looks like mine with the upper and lower mesh grill... Is it BRG by any chance? You can see what I mean in my gallery.
And that wouldn't be a first...because your '02 XJR looks exactly like mine, as well and you can verify that, too in my gallery. What a coincidence.

Cheers,

Old 01-19-2016, 10:20 AM

Yes, that is my xjs. I purchased it new and have maintained it going on 22 years. I used to enter it in JCNA concours, but after many 1st place (driven class) wins, I decided to do some mild customization to the exterior, and more under the bonnet. The car is Kingfisher Blue...which based upon the ambient light can appear either blue or green. A very cool color that attracts many comments and awards. My XJR is a 2003 model, I bought it in 2004 because I wanted the last of the steel-bodied Jaguars. I only entered it in one JCNA Concours and it won 1st place in class and had the highest score of the concours. I have admired your XJS for years, even before I joined this forum. I almost installed NOS based on your setup. My engine upgrades have upped my HP to 235, and I run 93 octane non-ethanol gas only.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Which sorta goes back to what I mentioned earlier in post #51

If a seller can move an XJS easily at $3000 but must depend on luck and perseverance to get $5000, what does that tell us?

Cheers
DD
Well Doug, I think you have to think of a classic car sale along the lines that you would a house sale. To use similar figures, you may have had your house valued at $500K, but to sell it for that you may well have to wait months for the right buyer with the right means to come along. Now if you want to 'move it easily' you may be looking at $300K for a quick sale.

Cheers, Norfolk

Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
These are some odd looking graphs!
According to the Hagerty website it is based on many data points including auction values and the price that their clients pay for the vehicles.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Norfolk Enchants
To use similar figures, you may have had your house valued at $500K,

"....had your house valued..."?

Not quite sure what you mean.

but to sell it for that you may well have to wait months for the right buyer with the right means to come along. Now if you want to 'move it easily' you may be looking at $300K for a quick sale.

Cheers, Norfolk

I'm not talking about lowering the price to ensure a quick sale. What I'm referring to....perhaps I didn't make it clear....is that (using your house example) if offers top out at $300K in (let's say) 90 days, then $300k is the market value of that house. If the 'right guy' comes along in 180 days and pays $500k, I'd say he paid over market value.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
"....had your house valued..."?

Not quite sure what you mean?

Cheers
DD
Ooh, apologies, I'd thought I was amongst like minded anglophiles! 'Appraised' would be the correct term, I 'guess' in this analogy to our 'Jag-wires' value

Last edited by Norfolk Enchants; 01-20-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Arrow

Yes, that is my xjs. I purchased it new and have maintained it going on 22 years. I used to enter it in JCNA concours, but after many 1st place (driven class) wins, I decided to do some mild customization to the exterior, and more under the bonnet. The car is Kingfisher Blue...which based upon the ambient light can appear either blue or green. A very cool color that attracts many comments and awards. My XJR is a 2003 model, I bought it in 2004 because I wanted the last of the steel-bodied Jaguars. I only entered it in one JCNA Concours and it won 1st place in class and had the highest score of the concours. I have admired your XJS for years, even before I joined this forum. I almost installed NOS based on your setup. My engine upgrades have upped my HP to 235, and I run 93 octane non-ethanol gas only.
Great that your kitties have collected concours wins. As you can see, with me always doing some mods to the car(s) I will never win a concours. I figure it all depends on what makes you happy and I couldn't possibly see myself not ever doing any mods and sacrificing its benefits for the sake of winning a prize: too much of a price to pay (no pun...). I can see it being worth doing with a highly valuable collectors car, but my two Jags are very far from being anyhing close to that. BTW, I love Kingfisher Blue on an XJS, it's perfect for the car.

Cheers,

Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Default XJS values up in Britain

I definitely agree with you about concours vs modifications that benefit the Jaguar' performance and appearance. Plus I enjoy my cats more with the mods I've made as they enhance the driving experience and attract other gear heads that appreciate them also.
I have to give you credit for the SS mesh grilles When I first saw your XJS with them, I immediately ordered a set for myself. I got the 16" Jaguar wheels shipped in from England and then sent them to to be trued, balanced, cleaned and powered coated in gloss black. They really make the car "pop".

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

[FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT

Jaglover02, please post a few more pics of your XJS, including interior pics. If you have the time, also add a few more of the XJR. Thank you. I love cats..

Cheers,

Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Default Pictures of my XJS

I haven't taken a pic of the new headlights yet, but will when the weather is better.

Attached Thumbnails The XJS market value-dscf1014.jpg   The XJS market value-dscf1015.jpg   The XJS market value-dscf1016.jpg   The XJS market value-dscf1019.jpg   The XJS market value-dsc_0564.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (01-26-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

That's a beautiful cat!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

I got the 16" Jaguar wheels shipped in from England and then sent them to to be trued, balanced, cleaned and powered coated in gloss black.
Jaglover02 - The wheels look great! I'd like to do the same.
Where did you send them? Did you send them with the tires to be balanced? Approx. cost?

Old 01-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Gorgeous kitty and interesting color features (at least to me).
First, the black wheels definitely give the kitty a special air of performance. Not only that, but the black/top black wheels combo is no doubt striking, which is also unique; it is the first time that I see it on the XJS. Is the interior Barley, or is it a lighter color, as my XJR's Oatmeal? My Barley is fine, but I do admire the lighter shade leather that you see on '95/'96 Saphire Blue cars.

Interesting how the one XJS color that typically tends to get confused with a BRG XJS is a Kingfisher Blue XJS, yet everything else color wise is so different. For one thing, the exterior paint is actually metallic, then the interior is of a lighter tone, and then the top is black...not a whole lot to confuse, really.

What is that you've done with the headlights?

Cheers,

Old 01-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Jaglover02,

How about sharing the specs, and, a few pix of that 550 Spyder you have in the garage? Is that a BECK replica?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer S Flavell
That's a beautiful cat!
Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

Phil

Old 01-23-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JagZilla
Jaglover02,

How about sharing the specs, and, a few pix of that 550 Spyder you have in the garage? Is that a BECK replica?
Yes, that is a Beck replica, but it belongs to my detail guy, Mike Kotos. It is a replica of a competition racer.

Quick Reply: The XJS market value