XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS - A Newbies Lesson in Brake Pads Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default XJS - A Newbies Lesson in Brake Pads Needed

I know that all brake pads ain't created equal.
I have so much to learn.
There are TONS of options out there.
My intention isn't to start a great debate here, so please 😊

When I first started working on my 1990 Convertible what I didn't know could fill an ocean. Today, one of the great lakes - at least.

For $$$ reasons I went with WHATEVER brake pads all around in the beginning, and because of what I got for braking on my car today, looong to stops, lots of push needed and not nearly as responsive as my other machines, I know that I am suffering for it. But what now?

Metallic, semi metallic, ceramic and more - then 100 cost differences - what do I do?

I will likely (but not definitely) be going with one of the 30 choices on Rock Auto unless I get told better,,,

I have solid faced vented rotors and am not going to change rotors in this go around but for pads I am NEEDING some guidance as I pull out the wallet.

Any suggestions and all lessons are super welcome!What's on your car and why?
Sadly, money is an object.

Thanks y'all!

Last edited by JayJagJay; 03-22-2022 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

I have two favorites

Raybestos PGD9M and PGD135M, used on three or four of my oldie Jags. Good bite, no noise, minimal dust. I think those part numbers are applicable to your 1990 XJS but you can double check.

My only experience with ceramics was using Akebono brand on my XJR. Fantastic pads. Really great stopping power, no noise, virtually zero dust. The only complaint was a slightly soft pedal feel. Not sure if Akebono makes pads for your car, though.

Never had any heat related brake fade with either of the above.....although my driving typically doesn't go beyond "moderately aggressive" so my experience isn't based on extreme conditions.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
LnrB (04-22-2022), Mkii250 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I have two favorites

Raybestos PGD9M and PGD135M, used on three or four of my oldie Jags. Good bite, no noise, minimal dust. I think those part numbers are applicable to your 1990 XJS but you can double check.

My only experience with ceramics was using Akebono brand on my XJR. Fantastic pads. Really great stopping power, no noise, virtually zero dust. The only complaint was a slightly soft pedal feel. Not sure if Akebono makes pads for your car, though.

Never had any heat related brake fade with either of the above.....although my driving typically doesn't go beyond "moderately aggressive" so my experience isn't based on extreme conditions.

Cheers
DD
Ha! Beautiful, Doug. Good morning.

Went and checked and they (RA) has em. Both.
And they don't break the bank.
I'm a pretty simple guy, like to keep it simple, maybe I'll just go this way.

A softer peddle sounds like a welcomed change to me. I don't drive hard at all and will rev her (like y'all have suggested) but only when I have a loooong clear stretch of road ahead and can go from a stop. 4, 5k rpms - without the need for stratigic braking and what not.

I like the sounds of this so far!

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 09:07 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Will changing the rotors break the bank? They're oddly not that terribly expensive either. If you're having brake issues might make sense to start with a clean slate....

Old 04-22-2022, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
Will changing the rotors break the bank? They're oddly not that terribly expensive either. If you're having brake issues might make sense to start with a clean slate....
It is a good idea. And doesn't break the bank. You're right.

When I had my rear end out, honestly, I was a little intimidated by the rears. One of my fronts, the one that faces the street during the winter months when parked, is the roughest and needs changing every season. Splash day and night from the salty roads with cars going by my parked machine... That first year when I discovered this to be a thing, surprised me.

Doug, the Raybestos pads are GREAT and make a huge difference... Simple as that. Such a positive change!

The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
Doug (04-22-2022), Greg in France (04-22-2022)