XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Are XJS prices really climbing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Are XJS prices really climbing?

Ive been noticing that sellers are asking some high prices on their XJS even with higher mileage. Just curious if you guys know if buyers are ponying up for the cars or is it just sellers dreaming?

Old 02-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I guess it depends on where you are... In Britain the prices for GOOD cars are going up rather steap. The prices for "useable" cars is going up not as steap.

Here in Germany the prices are always going up. And mostly steap...

Old 02-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
I guess it depends on where you are... In Britain the prices for GOOD cars are going up rather steap. The prices for "useable" cars is going up not as steap.

Here in Germany the prices are always going up. And mostly steap...

I"m in America.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

G'day!

Down under, the prices of these cars are slowly but surely creeping up. Whereas a few years ago, average examples were going for under $10,000AUD all day long, these days the lowest available car for sale is asking $9500AUD, and requires a fair amount of work to bring her up to snuff mechanically, as well as the interior needing reupholestering. Body appears to be in great shape though. The next car up from that is asking $14,000. And so it goes until the cream of the crop being a face-lift XJRS 6.0l V12 which has hardly been driven (apparently part of a collection) asking around the $90,000AUD mark.

Their ability to be driven reliably everyday and for long distances over their age when maintained, means that what few cars are available, will generally have high mileages on them. Combine this with the relative rarity of these cars and their relative "affordability" new, and we'll have a paradox in regards to their value and collectability.

But it seems as though the car itself is facing a resurgence in popularity, where we're seeing it used more and more in pop culture, such as movies and television shows. This can only be good for the car as long as long it's positive press (even when driven by the bad guys &#128521. And even personally while enjoying the car on weekend cruises this summer, I have been getting subtle nods of appreciation and the thumbs up, from drivers of other classics and muscle cars, for more valuable and prettier than my own, and even the odd "nice car!" can be heard from those being driven by.

I think it's this long gestatating appreciation from the mainstream world for the XJS that will finally push the prices up to where they deserve to be, and as good (and even average) examples become rarer due to poor maintenance, rust, and the ravages of time, we'll see the prices rise even higher than where they sit now.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

I've been watching this closely on the XJS and many other vehicles I'm interested in like the Porsche 928.

My take... Exceptional vehicles with some sort of rare aspec like manual transmission where they are not common, very low mileage or some combination of this plus desirable color like black/tan are rising in value significantly and are actually trading at much higher prices.

There remains very little appreciation in restoration candidates, daily drivers or other higher mileage examples. Asking price are up but these cars are not changing hands.

I've heard from 2 disparate sources that prices for XJS' are rising in Germany. I know a bit about Germany and Germans and I've lived with many over the years... I cant figure it. Someone needs to explain this one to me.

A rising tide does lift all boats but not equally in this cycle. The tide is selective.

There are some models where the tide is lifting all boats, pre 90's Mercedes coupes and anything Air cooled Porsche.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hmmmm . . . mine is obviously not typical. Rust free (so far) except for floors . . . both cut out, with brand new replacements supplied ready to weld in. No dings but missing front bumper; BRG paint in good condition; black interior not my taste but too good to trash. Engine runs smoothly; all injectors checked, several replaced; all new plugs, dizzy cap, belts, filters and fluids. Auto trans and brakes appear fine, but lots still to pull down, check, replace.

BUT . . . There's always a BUT . . . my "Barney Rubble" car (no floors!) was grabbed to satisfy my preference for a "pre HE" project car that will eventually appear as a restyled XJ-Spyder coupe with XKR type nose and other mods.

And here is where my purchase bucks the trend reported here. Purchase price was less than cost of shipping car to me from opposite side of Australia! Yep, $1800, including about $500 spares thrown in! Again . . . last year, missed a pair of "pre HE" XJ-S coupes, one road registered, another as "donor" . . . both for sale together at $3000.

IMHO, even with great presentation, and straddled between the E-Type and XK8/XKR, I just don't see the same acceleration in values. That's what makes the XJ-S/XJS so affordable for today's enthusiasts.

Cheers,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Grant Francis (02-28-2017), orangeblossom (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by icsamerica
I've been watching this closely on the XJS and many other vehicles I'm interested in like the Porsche 928.

My take... Exceptional vehicles with some sort of rare aspec like manual transmission where they are not common, very low mileage or some combination of this plus desirable color like black/tan are rising in value significantly and are actually trading at much higher prices.

There remains very little appreciation in restoration candidates, daily drivers or other higher mileage examples. Asking price are up but these cars are not changing hands.

I've heard from 2 disparate sources that prices for XJS' are rising in Germany. I know a bit about Germany and Germans and I've lived with many over the years... I cant figure it. Someone needs to explain this one to me.

A rising tide does lift all boats but not equally in this cycle. The tide is selective.

There are some models where the tide is lifting all boats, pre 90's Mercedes coupes and anything Air cooled Porsche.
It's actually not so hard to explain. The "classic car" market (Germans call them Oldtimer) is growing massively. It is all a speculation bubble. The speculators are hoping the XJ-S/XJS will be the next E-Type.

Many missed the E-Type or ignored the slowly rising prices a few years ago until the first ones sold for more than €100.000 at auctions. So all of a sudden, people here were buying E-Types from around the world. No matter what condition or what engine, main thing was E-Type. Problem: not all E's are desired. 2+2 V12 models in the Series III can be had for very little money.

The XJ-S (prefacelift but HE model) is at the moment hovering around €20.000 for a good car. The prices though as going up. Oddly, the demand isn't. As said, it is a bubble.

Right, here now the connection to the "Oldtimer" word: when cars are 30+ years old and NOT modified (mods MUST be peridoically correct), they all of a sudden fall into the "H-Zulassung" which is a historic registration. You get an H on your number plate and straight away the car is more affordable...

- fixed tax rate of ~€190/year (opposed to €1200 or €700, depending on age)
- lower insurance rates (instead of €2000 for me it would be €75/year)
- you can access the "Umweltzone" (gree eco areas in town) legally

At the same time, an H numberplate increases the vehicle value by a couple of grand...

Last thing: the XJ-S can be had in the US for a lower price than here. That makes imports desired, even though they look "wonky" due to the larger bumpers.

Loads of American cars (not only Jags) are imported and sold here. Mustangs sell for like €50000 here (for a standard 60ies V8 model, no Shelby or so). Chargers from the same era go for more than €60000. I'd just say, the Germans have too much money. Even undesirable American cars are imported. Long bed trucks, small V6 engined cars. Even worn out Crown Vic taxis from New York or decommisioned Cop Cars (like the last of the Caprices). Even the Pintos and Gremlins as well as Pacers achieve prices here, where you'd be going crazy for!

The same goes for cars from Britain. The Germans love RHD Midgets, MGBs, TR3-TR6, etc. so they are bought there for a normal price and sold here for like twice or even triple the price than in Britain.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

That's an interesting perspective Daim . . . I was largely unaware of these trends in Germany. Is it true also of the broader Euro market?

Can I however, suggest an alternate experience to the E-Type hype you have commented on. Much is now being made of the dazzling prices now commanded by the early E-Types. IMHO, the feeling that these high prices arose overnight is quite false. Rather, steadily rising prices started to make outstanding restoration feasible . . . the outcome being that the market started to see some really excellent examples . . . after years of too many tired, bent or poorly repaired examples.

Ours was an immaculate, undamaged 7-8yo Series1 4.2L FHC when we purchased it. Even the clock kept time to within a minute per week. Some 45 years later, we sold it to our very good friends and agreed to keep that exchange price private. Instead, let me tell you of our purchase. Just 1 year prior, we had purchased our 3 bedroom home in regional Australia, and we now paid exactly half our house price for our beautiful E-Type.

These E-Type values are little more than an expression that the rarer or more unusual the car, the broader the appeal, and importantly, the more outstanding the condition and provenance, the higher value. My studied opinion (nothing more than a hunch) is that the next BIG thing in rising values will bypass the XJ-S/XJS/XJSC and instead, focus on the last X100s, the 4.2L XK8/XKR. The best are already quite expensive here.

Cheers,

Ken

Grant Francis (02-28-2017), orangeblossom (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

@Ken

Well, yeah, the prices didn't go up overnight. But many Germans were surprised that the price went to that what it is. Mainly because Germans think that Jaguar is not anywhere in the near of Mercedes in terms of value (a FYI: even bog standard, low spec W123 are sold at overpriced figures here). And because they didn't have the car in their eyes (fixed on 300SL, 190SL, ...).

I don't know how the prices are in other EU states, as they will probably differ compared to the German market. I know of a group of Swedes who always drive to the Bremen Classic Show in cars from Sweden, sell them there and then fly home again. So I would think classic cars in Sweden aren't worth as much as they are in Germany - of course depending on what car it is.

Last year I think, there was a Series 1 E on the Bremen Classic Show and it was in a rather tatty condition. Not original but badly restored. They still wanted a 6 digit number for the car (which was leaking oil on the site and had uneven long exhaust pipes etc.). This year, the same company had two XJ-S sitting there (H&E convert and an XJ-SC) and they were well overpriced for what they were and were also US imports... Probably cost like $5000 in the States and were selling here for like €20000... Gross and sick...

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
cat_as_trophy (03-02-2017), orangeblossom (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 03:22 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Although the XJS is slowly increasing in value, it is not yet in the XKE market, so although you can buy them relatively inexpensive in the States the increased value of the XJS has come up in a few classic car seminars and all on the panel agreed. Two were hosted by Hagerty's. I address this in more detail in my XJS buyers guide to be published in a few days.

ThunderRoad (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by icsamerica

it must be a rapidly changing market, about 2 weeks back a guy called me and offered a trade even for my XJS roadster, he had a 1993 928 4S,RED, car was clean and close to perfect!

well i almost went for it, when at a car show sunday, and a 1967 Jag coupe pulled in beside my Jag, most of the guys there agreed that my car was a better looking car!

i said money wise the Etype was worth more , but opinion was, who buys a car for its value, those types are not REAL car enthusiests, and dont do there own work on them, they farm problems out to good garages, and pay the money!

to each his own!!??LOL

The following 3 users liked this post by ronbros:
cat_as_trophy (03-02-2017), orangeblossom (02-28-2017), ThunderRoad (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Banned

As I pointed out in my XJS buyer’s guide, most people who collected many cars that are now being discovered did so only because they liked the cars and perhaps thought they may one day become valuable. This too was a rare motivation. The increase in value was never much thought if any at all. If so we all would still have the cars we let get away or sold that are now worth a bundle.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member

Really great info in these posts re worldwide trends in values . . . and thanks for not smashing me (my hunch only) for somewhat less stratospheric appeal of XJ-S/XJS/XJSC . . . after all, I own one and it represents an enormous prospect of hard work and spent money ahead. But . . . spare a thought for this tale of 3 Jaguars . . .

Jaguar #1 - At a time when AU$50,000 will only get a sniff at the door of well restored MkVs, here is a rare bargain I am negotiating to get at a tenth of that, with all the hard chassis and panel work done and a load of spares thrown in.

Jaguar #2 - Not overlooked . . . this genuine alloy LowDrag E-Type . . . was overshadowed and overwhelmed by being presented right next door to . . .

Jaguar #3 -Genuine and original, this competition C-Type was offered at a cool AU$3M, and indeed, is now reputed to have changed hands at near that.

Yes . . . yer right. Like many other enthusiast corners of the world, we do have some incredibly valued Jaguars tucked away down under . . .

Cheers,

Ken

Attached Thumbnails Are XJS prices really climbing?-mkv.jpg   Are XJS prices really climbing?-ld-e-type.jpg   Are XJS prices really climbing?-c-01.jpg   Are XJS prices really climbing?-c-02.jpg   Are XJS prices really climbing?-c-03.jpg  

Are XJS prices really climbing?-c-04.jpg  
Grant Francis (03-02-2017), ronbros (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Banned

The wonderful thing about the beautiful classic Jaguar cars is there are still some great sleeping giants tucked away waiting to be rescued. Most of the World loves the look but are afraid of acquisition due to theories and myths mostly by those who never owned one. This leaves more cookies in the cookie jar for us to enjoy. As addressed in my new XJS buyer's guide.

The following 2 users liked this post by xjsparts:
Greg in France (03-02-2017), ThunderRoad (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought my XJS last year for what I thought was a good price. It needed a few things and later found a few things that I didn't know about that it needs. I wish I had looked a bit longer before buying because now I want a much nicer one. I'm going to try to sell mine and spend twice as much to get another one. If I can get enough I'll do it, otherwise I'll just keep the one I have. They are beautiful.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Default The Getting Of Wisdom (about Jaguars)

Al, I see your learned XJS experience as hugely inspiring . . . your story should encourage rather than frighten others . . . not because it mirrors my own opinions or preferences, but because it demonstrates that your knowledge, skills and confidence are already developing rapidly. This is no tragedy and yes, you will find a purchaser who will enable you to step further into your next Jaguar with your developing expertise.

Best wishes,

Ken

The following 3 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
paydase (03-03-2017), ronbros (03-02-2017), ThunderRoad (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Banned

The XJS buyers guide will save so many people time and perhaps thousands. I expect to have it ready for purchase in the next few days. The introduction will be posted tomorrow.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 Cat
I bought my XJS last year for what I thought was a good price. It needed a few things and later found a few things that I didn't know about that it needs. I wish I had looked a bit longer before buying because now I want a much nicer one. I'm going to try to sell mine and spend twice as much to get another one. If I can get enough I'll do it, otherwise I'll just keep the one I have. They are beautiful.
If you are not a DIY or don't enjoy working yourself on your cat to maintain/repair it, that's a wise approach.
You will always spend much more in upgrading such a classic car in poor or medium condition compared to buying another one in very good condition.

The following 2 users liked this post by paydase:
cat_as_trophy (03-08-2017), ronbros (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

it seems that(as usual) there is a big difference between USA and Euro guys that put a value on the cars!

at most auctions in USA, a well done modified car, will bring more money than a good ordinary stock car!

also i seem to be completely different than most, from my very 1st car, i started modding it within a few weeks after i bought it!

and how do you think my inner self relates to changes in costs of cars!

my 1st car in 1949 a 1934 FORD roadster, with fold down shield, and rumble seat, cost mid summer $18. dollars, today a concours condition one is easy $100K/$150K!!

to my normal logic,thats TOTALY NUTS!

any way auto prices in the USA were super cheap after WW2 stopped, and did not pickup till around 1955, (altho i did not know why they just started going up steadily).

i had access to so many rare wonderful cars in those days.

but for sure its the availability of money that changes things, especially in war yrs(everybody gets rich,LOL).

a always liked things after war gets over,(many surplus stuff available).

like nuts bolts stainless, titainium, hard steel, copper, and tons of aluminum in all shapes/sizes, at next give away prices! 1 cent on the dollar,no sh$t).

all this stuff is great when rebuilding ,repairing cars!

like 55 gallon drums 10-30W oil , for $25. dollars!

the crazy one, was in 1965, i bought a 55 gallon drum of 98% Nitromethane for $80. dollars, today a drum cost $3000. dollars, and you have to register with the US Government, and buy from a fuel supplier, and he gets it from CHINA!

i understand its illegal to manufacture in USA,donno.

anyway i could go on!

and latest is electric cars, Norway has already banned some Gas/petrol ,diesel cars imported! othe EU countries considering, Yeah gotta save the world!
if you have a collecter car, some very high insurance costs, limited driving use.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

out of curiosity I looked at XJS's on Ebay a little while ago. I know E bay is not authoritative and asking price does not equal selling price but I was struck by several observations:

1. Prices are all over the map. From just a couple of thousand $$'s to $20K.

2. For a relatively limited production car marketed globally there are a surprising number of examples listed for sale.

3. There is no need to by a project car. Very nice looking low mileage examples are out there for reasonable money. Convertibles or coupes can be had for the purchase price plus some maintenance (tires, brakes, fluid changes, new plugs and fuel hoses)or cosmetics (buffing/polishing or even a re-spray) for <$15K. Pretty inexpensive way to drive a car that looks like a million bucks. You can easily spend the same amount on a used Buick. ugh...

Any used car is likely to need some maintenance with particular attention to the brakes, the cooling system, and the climate control system. A little patience, an inclination to use a screw driver and wrench (or learn to use one) can go a very long way to keeping the expense of one of these cars well within reason.