XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Are XJS prices really climbing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I address the most important elements when buying an XJS today in my newly released XJS buyers guide. Too many people get caught up in the deal of the day so they think until they buy the car then find out they need to spend another $10,000 or more. That's right $10,000 more and sometimes more. I have been selling XJS parts since 2005 and I have seen and heard it all. From rusted out floors to blown gearboxes and engines. Not to mention the $200 to $300 here and there which adds up very fast.

As the parts are becoming rarer, they are not getting any less costly. For the reason, I cover in the book many important parts and pricing so the buyer can be prepared rather than at the mercy of the seller. Be thousands ahead before leaping for the leaper. Buy here

How To Buy An XJS A PDF Buyers Guide | eBay

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (03-15-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

Not as far as I can see here in the US, at the auctions I saw a few nice one's go for under $10k. Even lower before they went on the block. On the other side Frank Sinatra's 87 (i think) went for $27k ???? Bottom line I think you can pick up a nice conv for $7 or $8K.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Yep :-) Price for mine is climbing with every part I install :-)

Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

IMHO, purchase price gets you on the dance floor . . . nothing more! Perhaps more than most 30-40yo GT cars, the XJ-S had great strengths but also great weaknesses . . . built at a time when Jaguar's build and finish quality was questionable at best and problematic for most. Which is the "better" or "smarter" buy . . . the $25,000 original and immaculate example with impeccable documentation, provenance, an uninterrupted accident free service history, and fistfuls of detailed invoices for maintenance and replacements (brake rotors & pads, suspension bushes, steering rebuild, body) . . . or the $5,000-$10,0000 "good" example that then absorbs a further $10,000-$15,000 over the following 2yrs in bringing it up to that same standard.

Not saying there is a right and wrong approach . . . rather, that getting onto the dance floor by paying the purchase price is NOT an end in itself, but just the START of the dance. Unless you have limitless pockets, the XJ-S, like its XJ sister ships, is an expensive vehicle to maintain . . . but VERY expensive to restore from a neglected state. And, just like those sister ship sedans, I am not convinced that any increase in XJ-S market value is tracking the rapidly increasing costs of maintenance or restoration. Like many here, I'm doing it anyway . . . but I'm not kidding myself it makes a sound investment.

Cheers,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Don B (03-19-2017), Doug (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Which is the "better" or "smarter" buy . . . the $25,000 original and immaculate example with impeccable documentation, provenance, an uninterrupted accident free service history, and fistfuls of detailed invoices for maintenance and replacements (brake rotors & pads, suspension bushes, steering rebuild, body) . . . or the $5,000-$10,0000 "good" example that then absorbs a further $10,000-$15,000 over the following 2yrs in bringing it up to that same standard.
Many don't have to face the question because they don't have the $25,000 to buy the better car

IMO more purchase mistakes occur at the lower end of the price scale: buying the $3500 XJS that needs serious attention in every area versus the $7000 that has a least of few good points and/or the owner has already spent a fair chunk of money fixing the usual 'stuff' and now wants to move on.

Not saying there is a right and wrong approach . . . rather, that getting onto the dance floor by paying the purchase price is NOT an end in itself, but just the START of the dance.

Too true, too true !

Unless you have limitless pockets, the XJ-S, like its XJ sister ships, is an expensive vehicle to maintain . . . but VERY expensive to restore from a neglected state.

Indeed.

IMO, cosmetics are the huge money eater. Paint, chrome, wood, and leather. You'll spend *many thousands* here, often in large lump sums that can be difficult to budget for. However, a decent DIYer can pick away a mechanical problems over a period of time, fairly inexpensively, spending a few hundred here and a few hundred there....which is easier to do.

So, if you can't afford to buy the very best it still would seem wise to enter the dance floor with at least strong cosmetics.

One problem with hobby cars is 'mission creep'....we set out to repair something and soon enough the "While I'm at it" disease takes hold. We end up over-repairing and over-spending. I speak from hard experience...but with no regrets, as I loved every minute of it and never begrudged a dollar spent.

With my present project, though, I've taken a 'spend the money where it'll do the most good' and 'if it ain't broken, don't replace it' approach. I'm actually enjoying the challenge of that although some gritting of teeth as been required. Old habits are hard to break.

Cheers
DD

Don B (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

XJS prices are all over the place. For equivalent cars. This, to me, indicates there is no established market for these cats. And I see great examples for sale for months.

Theres no demand.

If you could buy 10 pristine 10K mi XJSs for $5K USD each right now or you could buy one XKE for $50K I know where I'd put my money. 2&2s don't count. And note that I put no condition disclaimers in the e type. At $50K, if it's a whole car it's a done deal. Maybe even if it's not.

I'm enjoying a unique driving experience that sold for > $50K at thrift store pricing. And honestly parts aren't bad either. There are a few components that are costly enough that one might purchase a second XJS for them rather than order them but only a few.

Personally I like that they're a bit daunting when viewed by owner or mechanic, and that they are basically solid, simple fantastic machines. if you don't have to pay for your wrenching they're a bargain!

Last edited by JigJag; 03-18-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: 2&2s
The following 2 users liked this post by JigJag:
Don B (03-19-2017), Doug (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JigJag
I'm enjoying a unique driving experience that sold for > $50K at thrift store pricing. And honestly parts aren't bad either. There are a few components that are costly enough that one might purchase a second XJS for them rather than order them but only a few.

Personally I like that they're a bit daunting when viewed by owner or mechanic, and that they are basically solid, simple fantastic machines. if you don't have to pay for your wrenching they're a bargain!

I agree.

If you enjoy DIY work, sorting out an XJS is actually a good investment on an effort-vs-reward basis. For relative peanuts, in terms of money spent, you end up with a unique and fabulous machine that provides a great driving experience.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Daim (03-18-2017), Don B (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I agree.

If you enjoy DIY work, sorting out an XJS is actually a good investment on an effort-vs-reward basis. For relative peanuts, in terms of money spent, you end up with a unique and fabulous machine that provides a great driving experience.

Cheers
DD
I hope so! Not that 3 years of work (so far) turns out to be for nowt!

Old 03-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
I hope so! Not that 3 years of work (so far) turns out to be for nowt!
An sorted and loved XJS will repay your efforts in more than equal measure, I assure you.

I well remember my XJS days. Ensconced in that wonderful cabin, smooth V12, 2nd gear good for 110 mph for overtaking, rock-solid-glued-to-the-pavement feel to the steering and suspension, effortless high speed cruising, and last but not least, road presence.

It's all a very good feeling

Cheers
DD

Don B (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

For the reason, I wrote, "How to buy an XJS" which gives details of various visible items when shopping for an XJS as well as the cost to replace or repair and availability of those items as a DIY or in a shop. The mistake so many make is buying the car first then learning that have bit off more than they can chew. Take the leap and buy the book before buying the leaper. How To Buy An XJS A PDF Buyers Guide | eBay