XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Reducing Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 12:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XJS Reducing Fuel Line

1991 XJS Convertible…

I’m looking for a part that I can’t find in any diagrams or online…

it’s a piece of fuel line about 1 3/4” long but it reduces from 3/8” to 1/4” on the ID

It may be and probably is in metrics, but that’s what I’m measuring with a ruler.

it is in the drivers side (US) outer wheel well area in front of the axle. It goes vertically in a small area.

it attaches on the small end to a 1/4” steel barbed line that turns 90 deg and heads to the front.

Large end attaches to a 3/8” plastic barbed fitting on an end of a flexible hose that heads up towards the filler neck.

any idea on a part number or where to get it?

thanks in advance for any replies!
rich

Old 09-28-2022, 01:14 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Yeah....that's a tough one.

So there's a kit of assorted small fuel hose adapters that may have what you need at Advance Auto.

I'm hoping you checked with JDHT to make sure they don't still sell those adapters.

Lastly, you could try to force a Gates Barricade Fuel Hose to work by getting something close and boiling it in water, so it becomes pliable, and forcing it on. Might work, might not.

Lastly, you could also bridge two hose sizes with brass hose barb fittings that can be found on eBay, Grainger, McMaster, maybe even Amazon. Brass fittings can be bought with two different sized ends, sometimes in a 90 degree shape too!

Old 09-28-2022, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, I’m sorry, JDHT?

Old 09-29-2022, 08:21 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/

Has all the part numbers you will ever need...and plenty of useful diagrams.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource is the other one you really need to know about.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:16 PM

New issues

I tried using a reducing barb fitting and short pieces of hose to make the transition. No way it was going to fit. I reached further up into the compartment and found another clamp. Was barely able to get to it, and was able to replace the whole assembly with only a piece of 1/4” hose and clamps!!!

Picture of it is attached
WHY would they use this setup?? It basically ballooned up to 3/8” only in the plastic fitting. No check valve, air goes both ways…

Old 10-02-2022, 12:36 PM

Here’s the issue

Car had been sitting a couple of years. Fired right up after charging the battery. It said only had 1/4 tank so I drive down to the gas station to fill it up. Fill up, go inside and come back out and gasoline is pouring onto the ground from in front of drivers wheel well. I pushed it away from the pumps and it quit leaking after a minute or so. I let the fumes dissipate and drove it the 4 miles back home, ran normal.

i started looking for issues in the trunk. There was seepage from around the sending unit. I took out those 18+/- bolts to pull the plate away from the tank to see what I can find. Couldn’t pull it back very far because of the fuel line going thru it. Nothing at all suggesting the leak was from there. The seeping was just that, not a leak.

So, I get underneath it, and find the cracked fitting that started this thread. Replaced it with the 1/4” fuel line and thought I was home free. Poured another couple gallons of gas in it from a can, no leaks. Put trunk back together so I can hook up the battery. Try to start it and it won’t fire off. Battery is good, spins fast but won’t start.

I open the fuel filler cap and fuel literally shoots up out of the neck. Fluid level was pouring gas up and out of the neck and running over the fender!! Maybe a few pints overflowed onto the fender?

I leave cap open and it still won’t start. Fuel is full to the top still. I leave it overnight with cap shut, come back next day and fuel level in neck has dropped a couple inches, but is still full in the neck. Can barely touch it with a long finger…

car is still not starting, I’ve pulled that big plate in front of the tank again to check for a pinched line. Nothing pinched that I can see!!!

What is going on????? All I did was replace a short piece of fuel line!!!!

I checked the inertia switch, it was not tripped somehow…

thanks for any suggestions!!

Old 10-02-2022, 01:38 PM
Default 1991 XJS Fuel issues / won’t start

I pulled the filler neck assembly from the outside of the car. The fuel level in the neck is above the top of the tank.

is there any way that I’ve created a huge air bubble in the system?

Put battery back in and crank with full throttle for a while?

I’m at a loss. The car is stuck outside. Thankfully we’ve got a week with no rain ahead.

Last edited by Richgus; 10-02-2022 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Retitling
Old 10-02-2022, 04:01 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, I cannot help, I am not familiar enough with the 1991 setup. Based on your description it is rather different than my 96 facelift.

I doubt a bubble can be created to cause this problem. I would:
1. Confirm that the fuel pump is running. Can you hear it when you first turn the car on (without turning the engine over)
2. Check the fuel filter.

Old 10-02-2022, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, a lot of times I overlook the obvious!!!

I checked the fuel pump, it cycled on and off like it should.

I then pulled the hose off of the outlet end of the fuel filter and look what came out!!! Yuck! Orange fluid came dribbling out that made me think I’d pulled a hose for the convertible top or something!!! When you shake it, it sounds like there’s a solid element in it moving about. Clunking (soft thud) from end to end…

I’m now looking to see how quick I can get one here.

Any suggestions on going forward other than changing the filter? Is there an easy disconnect at the motor where I can flush as much of the lines as possible???

It was running fine from the house to gas station and back. About 5 miles round trip plus idling around the house…

Old 10-02-2022, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply, a lot of times I overlook the obvious!!!

I checked the fuel pump, it cycled on and off like it should.

I then pulled the hose off of the outlet end of the fuel filter and look what came out!!! Yuck! Orange fluid came dribbling out that made me think I’d pulled a hose for the convertible top or something!!! When you shake it, it sounds like there’s a solid element and a small metallic part in it moving around. Is there a steel spring that could have rusted??

I’m now looking to see how quick I can get one here.
(amazon will have one here Tuesday)

Any suggestions on going forward other than changing the filter? Is there an easy disconnect at the motor where I can flush as much of the lines as possible???

It was running fine from the house to gas station and back. About 5 miles round trip plus idling around the house…

Last edited by Richgus; 10-02-2022 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-02-2022, 10:46 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

I'm really not sure how the pre-facelift engines are plumbed. My filter looks different than yours, but:
1. Without starting the car, couldn't you turn the car on, which would prime the fuel pump. Keep doing it until you're seeing clear fuel?
2. If the lines are clogged, or continue to come up orange, you may need to change them out.
3. With the fuel filter disconnected, you might want to disconnect the fuel pressure regulator and see what comes out of either end of that? Hopefully everything north of the filter is clean?
4. After that, I'd get to the fuel rail. Disconnect the injectors and send them out for a cleaning, and while you're waiting, clean out the fuel rail. It'll look like a flute, but the ports should be relatively easy to spray with carb cleaner. You can always buy a replacement/used part for not too much.

Again, I'm giving you advice based on how the AJ16 is plumbed in a 1996 MY.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

I'm not sure how long you've had the car, or it's history.

But, I would suggest that condensation had built up in the tank and the tank is rusted on the inside. You might want to drain (tough that its full) the tank and clean it out. I would suspect it can be turned around and saved.

The solids you're hearing in the filter, not sure what a large chunk would be - just replace it and clean out the sump under the battery as well.

I would just give the FI, maybe just remove the easiest one or two furthest up the front of the engine, have a look at the little screens, try and run some cleaner thru them with a 9v battery, and see what you think. Most likely the filter took all the punches saving the injectors...?

Old 10-03-2022, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

About those first pictures and the description of the line. Can you say a little more about where that is and,,, are you sure that's not just vac line? If it is, reconnecting it, and having problems with the vac system, carbon canister, hoses off the intakes and emissions stuff may have created some "unusual" conditions in the tank, negative pressures, maybe pulling fuel BACK thru the in boot fuel lines, pump and filter... Dislodging all that mess in the filter and and,,,

​​​​​​I interesting series of events here.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:22 AM

I'm confident its a fuel line, fuel was pouring out of it...

It's located in front of the drivers(US) rear wheel well. The two hard lines that run towards the front of the car turn and go vertical in that small space.

I'm beginning to think the fuel gushing out of the filler neck was due to me overfilling the tank using a gas can instead of a pump with a nozzle that reaches into the neck and shuts off before it overfills

I'm still looking for which line to unhook under the hood to flush as much as possible from the system... Where are the little screens that you mention?

Old 10-03-2022, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,251 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Is your car a V12 or a 6 cylinder engine? If a V12 then I think the line you are showing in photos 2 and 3 of your first post is the fuel vapour line that goes to the charcoal vapour cannister in the front left forward wheel well compartment.
It is definitely not a pressure or return fuel line. The fuel in it may well have been because that line also takes the fuel overflow from the filler well.
As to the car starting/fuel filter etc, by starting the car with old fuel and dirt in the system you have plugged the old filter and likely filled the system with crud too.
I have no experience of convertible fuel systems so do you have a VIN number so we can see what the system should be on the Jaguar Classic website?
In particular, does your car have an external fuel pump or an in-tank one?

Last edited by Greg in France; 10-03-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:08 AM

It’s a v12 car

The fuel was literally pouring out of that cracked reducer fitting. It must have been gravity fed from some point since it stopped after losing a gallon or two of fuel.

Those two lines shown in the initial pics, one is using hard, threaded connections. I’m assuming that’s the feed line headed towards the engine? The other line with the cracked reducer only had spring type clamps. That’s what led me to believe it was a return line??

Old 10-03-2022, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,251 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Originally Posted by Richgus
It’s a v12 car

The fuel was literally pouring out of that cracked reducer fitting. It must have been gravity fed from some point since it stopped after losing a gallon or two of fuel.

Those two lines shown in the initial pics, one is using hard, threaded connections. I’m assuming that’s the feed line headed towards the engine? The other line with the cracked reducer only had spring type clamps. That’s what led me to believe it was a return line??
The threaded connection is the return line, or even the feed line, but the return line is very similar. The line we are discussing is for sure the vapour line, maybe you somehow had a head or some pressure in the tank? You might find the feed line on the other side of the car in the equivalent position.
Take a few more pics under each side of the car and post them.
Also, where did you find then old filter sited?
Do you know where the fuel pump is?

Last edited by Greg in France; 10-03-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:26 AM

If the fuel filter was partially clogged, would it have forced a bunch of fuel out of the vapor return line?

it literally poured a couple of gallons out of it…

Old 10-03-2022, 09:28 AM

Sorry, didn’t see the rest of your post. I’ll take more pics and post.

the filter was mounted to the large black plate in front of the main tank. Behind the spare…

the pump is right there next to it. Between the sump/surge tank and the filter

Old 10-03-2022, 09:47 AM

Here’s some pics

pic 2 and 3 are from drivers side. You can just see the new clamp is sticking out from behind the line with threaded connections (the return line?).

pic 4 (with the cobwebs) is of the passenger side. Definitely the feed line, it comes out of the filter, goes thru lower passenger side trunk area and heads toward the engine.

Quick Reply: XJS Reducing Fuel Line