Old 10-03-2022, 09:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It’s an external pump

vin # SAJTW4845MC176851

Old 10-03-2022, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,251 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Originally Posted by Richgus
Sorry, didn’t see the rest of your post. I’ll take more pics and post.

the filter was mounted to the large black plate in front of the main tank. Behind the spare…

the pump is right there next to it. Between the sump/surge tank and the filter
It sounds like you have a pre facelift fuel system pretty much like the coupe's. If so, you will find the feed line in the equivalent position under the car on the RHS. You will probably have a small sump tank, fed from the main tank under the battery. If so, it will need cleaning out and its internal filter replacing (held in by a locking ring on the outlet to the pump):
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

This is a snap of the coupe's system:

This shows the main filter (smart aftermarket in my case!). It is being fed from the pump which is under the cover under the battery. It exits to a long pipe that goes out on the lower front RHS and under the car.

This shows the sump tank. On my slightly modded version, the fuel comes down to the sump tank (as standard) via an extra filter markeed in blue. Worry not about the extra filter, just make sure you can find the feed to the sump tank. Then the sump tank goes to the pump

This shows I the feed pipe going from the pump, via my repositioned filter, to the feed exit in the front lower corner of the trunk (boot for me!). It also shows the fuel line II from the sump tank to the pump. Although your car's siting of these may be different, I think, repeat think, you should find the components doing the same job.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the pics! Makes life sooo much easier. I’ve got all that sorted out now!

More questions now…

1) Why was all the raw fuel leaking from that cracked fitting if it’s only a vapor line?? Was it from overfilling the tank, both at the station and at home? FYI-it was clean fuel.

2) Where under the hood would be best place to take loose to purge the line and see how far the crud made it that direction?

3). Would you try to crimp or pinch off the fuel line between the tanks to drain the sump and change it’s filter? If not, that’s a lot of fuel to drain!!!

Old 10-03-2022, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the pics! Makes life sooo much easier. I’ve got all that sorted out now!

More questions now…

1) Why was all the raw fuel leaking from that cracked fitting if it’s only a vapor line?? Was it from overfilling the tank, both at the station and at home? FYI-it was clean fuel. You must have somehow created a had above the outlet, or some other problem that we do not yet understand

2) Where under the hood would be best place to take loose to purge the line and see how far the crud made it that direction? Undo the feed line just before the fuel pressure regulator on the front of A bank of the V (the RHS bank is A the LHS is B)

3). Would you try to crimp or pinch off the fuel line between the tanks to drain the sump and change it’s filter? If not, that’s a lot of fuel to drain!!! Empty the boot, get a small bolt with 1/2 inch diameter, pull the feed line off the sump tank and push the bolt up the line and clamp it with a clip, should work but will be a bit iof fuel spilled. Have a helper near so other things can be grabbed while you have your thumb over the line!
Then unde the sump tank in the floor is a rubber grommet from below pull it out and you will see a drain plug in the sump tank. Undo it a few turns and the fuel in the sump tank can drain.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:51 AM

Perfect!!! Very clear and concise answers!! I love it!

I’ll let you know how things progress

thanks again for all the help

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 11:58 AM

Getting ready to get started on the above, but thinking about my initial fuel leak…

the gas was pouring out of the area of the failed fitting. If that is indeed only a vacuum line to the charcoal cannister, maybe I never found my fuel leak??

it leaked out twice from that area. Once at the pump after topping off the tank. It leaked at a good rate and left a puddle of standing fuel. Probably ran out for a good minute or so until I pushed the car away from pumps and it finally stopped.

I drove it home 3 miles, gauge read 3/4 full. Then I poured about 2 gallons into the tank and made it start to leak again so I could track it down. It was on rocky soil so no idea how much leaked out or for how long. I was doing it all by feel at that point, car was still on the ground…. I never actually saw the fuel pouring out of the cracked fitting. Only saw the area that I was feeling after the fuel quit flowing. Then I jacked up the car and took off the wheel.

maybe the fuel leak is on the return line??
when is it under pressure? Would it leak as described above?

guess I’ll find out once I sort out the filter issue…

Old 10-03-2022, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Return line not under pressure, the vapour (not vac) line, or the drain tube in the filler well, or something in that area must bet getting fuel when the tank is full. If the return line was leaking it would leak all the time and especially when the engine was running.
There is a rather complex tank breather system and that could be the culprit if it is damaged or not working as intended, or many other possibilities!
Ultimately the only way to be certain is to take out everything and look!

Old 10-03-2022, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Yeah, I was thinking that there may be some kind of of mix up with the way the emissions related vac lines were connected to the canister (or some other line) which is creating what is actually a pretty powerful vac on a line that runs from the charcoal canister to the tank. The charcoal canister is in the LH fender well behind a plate under the headlight. Maybe this became ever more clear, with fuel filled right to the top O the tank,,, and EVAP lines started slurping up gas. Leaking out of that cracked section...

Anyways, I think you headed in the right direction

Last edited by JayJagJay; 10-03-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:11 PM

I’ve gotten sidetracked and will be back on it tomorrow.

Everything had been working fine before it was parked both times. I don’t think any of the vacuum lines have been touched. At least not in the 10 years I’ve had it. I’ve never seen where much of anything has been altered. It’s got 50k miles on it and everything looks near mint with exception of aging…

The headliner is beginning to disintegrate and the walnut on the console has been removed. It was cupped, curled and falling apart. Rest of the wood is in great shape.

I’m hoping to polish it up and find it a new home.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:08 PM

I got back into it today. I pulled the smaller of the two hoses connecting the sump to the main tank. Good clear gas continuously poured from both sides of it. I did not drain the sump or pull the internal screen filter.

I’m beginning to think most of the orange mess was from the filter disintegrating. The new one doesn’t rattle. I think there must be a metallic spring in there that holds the paper elements to one end. The old one has two distinct parts in it bouncing around. A heavy soft one and the lighter metallic one.

I installed the new main fuel filter, unhooked the fuel line at the fuel regulator and cycled the fuel pump several times. It started out with a tint of the orange, but nothing like in the trunk. After just a few cycles, it’s now pouring clean fuel.

I’m calling it a cycle, is that normal? The pump turns on and runs a few seconds and shuts off. If it doesn’t sense a back pressure, will it not run continuously?

I expected to be able to empty the tank that way if I wanted to…

Hooked everything back up and the car is still not starting. Battery was at 11.8 volts, so I’m charging it now..

any thoughts while I wait for the charge???

Old 10-06-2022, 01:19 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

it’s back up and running again!!!

starting to search for window adjustments, the passenger door window goes too high and doesn’t seal if the door is opened and closed with it up all the way.

my XJR drops the glass a bit to clear the weatherstrip when the door is opened and raises it when the door shuts, I wonder if this should also?

I’ll start searching now…

Old 10-06-2022, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Richgus
Thanks to everyone for all the help!

it’s back up and running again!!!

starting to search for window adjustments, the passenger door window goes too high and doesn’t seal if the door is opened and closed with it up all the way.

my XJR drops the glass a bit to clear the weatherstrip when the door is opened and raises it when the door shuts, I wonder if this should also?

I’ll start searching now…
Glass? Drop? Nope!