XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

TH400 is out, took only 2 hours. I was ready for a lot harder fight, but there was no surprises from the Brits at all.
BTW, it looks like there is at least 30KG in weight savings, between the gearboxes.

Attached Thumbnails XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.-dsc00363.jpg   XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.-dsc00364.jpg   XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.-dsc00366.jpg   XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.-dsc00365.jpg   XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.-dsc00367.jpg  

XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.-dsc00368.jpg   XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.-dsc00369.jpg   XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.-dsc00370.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Many congratulations, Mish. Looks really clean and solid under there. Please take loads of detailed pics of the install, if you can, I am very intersted in seeing exactly how the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing all bolt in, and so on.

Greg

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 AM
Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

how were you able to get the trans out ? I always heard it was a massive problem with the engine and it all still in the car.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by smgdata
how were you able to get the trans out ? I always heard it was a massive problem with the engine and it all still in the car.
My friend and I used very basic tools and electric impact gun. No problem at all, however I did expect to have trouble, due to the whole British and V12 thing.
One slight problem was pulling off flywheel, because it had two brass guides that needed to be pulled. I used couple of large washers and one of rear mount bolts as pulling device.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Great looking kit, I am full of admiration and dying to hear all about the installation.

What are the ratios please on the gearbox and are you keeping the 2.88 differential?

I have heard that with a manual the standard V12 HE over-run cutoff on the fuel injectors can cause funny problems and driveline shunting on a trailing throttle. No idea if it is true or not. But the great Roger Bywater of AJ6 Engineering does acknowledge this possibility, and offers a fix he can do to the ECU if it turns out to be a real problem. Not expensive, just a matter of unsoldering something on the circuit board apparently.

Anyway, time to start saving/buying lottery tickets more frquently...

Good luck with the whole thing
Greg
Memory is more than a little foggy, but I "think" I read somewhere there was a model year when the injection system was set up to cut the fuel flow completely on a trailing throttle down to a certain engine speed when it was re-introduced too abruptly. It was later changed to "something" smoother.

I am sure somebody will chip in with more info if I mix this with another engine.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM

I have a seal leaking like crazy in there. The only way to change it is to remove the trans. Not thrilled.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by smgdata
I have a seal leaking like crazy in there. The only way to change it is to remove the trans. Not thrilled.
If it is rear main, then it is not just the transmission, but also oil pan has to come out, along with oil pan housing and rear crank support thingy.
On the bright side, pulling trans on V12 is easy.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM

1. So I got bunch of slow leaks from up top, to exhaust manifolds and all the way to side walls of the block. These seem very slow and do not form any wetness of the oil pan, or under bellhousing, however some oil gets on exhaust manifolds and makes them smoke a little, when car warms up.
What are the typical places, is valve cover gaskets, or camshaft housings?
I tried to locate noticeable leaks today, but only found a little bit of oily goo everywhere.

2. Installed new flywheel, but before that I weighed old components and new stuff. Weight difference on the crank is 15 kilogram, which is due to insanely heavy torque converter of turbo 400. So, how much difference will 15 kilo (33 lb) make on power and throttle response?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 PM

I forgot to say that im leaking trans fluid like crazy. from the inside where it bolts to the engine. i hope its easy enough to remove. im thinking of doing it myself.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
1. So I got bunch of slow leaks from up top, to exhaust manifolds and all the way to side walls of the block. These seem very slow and do not form any wetness of the oil pan, or under bellhousing, however some oil gets on exhaust manifolds and makes them smoke a little, when car warms up.
What are the typical places, is valve cover gaskets, or camshaft housings?
I tried to locate noticeable leaks today, but only found a little bit of oily goo everywhere.
Mish
You may have missed my reply and pics to this question. You had mentioned it in the 'Tower that holds the pressure switch and sender broke' thread. My reply is dated 1/17/2013 10.14pm, in that thread.

Basically you have to take off the induction (as a unit all complete); then clean the V and the outside of the heads/tappet block; then remove cam covers, fit new beskets, and fix the leaky half moon seals at the cabin end of the tappet block; then (if you are me) do the high temp silicone fix on the tappet block head join. otherwise it is a major cam removal job to seal this join. The oil seepage is coming from both the cam cover seal and the tappet block/head join.

Anyway, before and after pics are in the thread. Well worth doing, even if a pain. Really works. Can be done in car if a little more difficult, but now you have the trans off, engine removal is a doddle...

Greg

Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 AM

I would like to drive this g-d forsaken car a little first. Perhaps next fall I'll get to pulling motor and making engine bay pretty as well.
Thanks for the info!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default enjoy it when you are done...

You will likely not part with the car once you have completed the conversion. I did mine 12-13 years ago, co-developed the kit with Shafi back then with prototype #1 and have had nothing but smiles since. Will not part with the car because it is such a positive transformation.

If asked to give up the 5-speed XJ-S or my first born son...my response is...Kid, you're on your own

The following users liked this post:
plums (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM

Well, another minor setback is pilot bearing. Sure enough my crank is not what expected, so I need to shave off some of outer diameter off the pilot bearing. Luckily another member graciously agreed to dust off his lathe and help.
Thedrivenman is warning of such possibility, since Jaguar used multiple kinds of crank endings, within the same time period.

Here fun pic for you. Tomorrow I will start my car with open flywheel to see how she acts with light crank.

Attached Thumbnails XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.-dsc00371.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When you know, please share the final OD of the pilot, as well as the year model of your engine. Maybe we can start to pin down the variants, and save some future heartache...

Dave

Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 AM

Mine is '82 H.E. and it is 1.700 opening, however bearing must be sized at 1.703" to fit snug.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Mine is '82 H.E. and it is 1.700 opening, however bearing must be sized at 1.703" to fit snug.
Excuse my embarrassing ignorance, but what is a pilot bearing and where exactly does it go in the manual gearbox setup? Pic if possible!

Thanks
Greg

Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Excuse my embarrassing ignorance, but what is a pilot bearing and where exactly does it go in the manual gearbox setup? Pic if possible!

Thanks
Greg
Right in the middle of flywheel, it presses in. Tip of transmission input shaft goes in it. Will post pics when I start assembly, for now enjoy videos below

Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Two videos of her running in the air, with no transmission. Rattling is exhaust wind in the microphone.
+

Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Talking

Right in the middle of flywheel, it presses in. Tip of transmission input shaft goes in it. Will post pics when I start assembly, for now enjoy videos below
Have you got to the stage yet of checking that the hole for the transmission in the bellhousing is concentric with the crankshaft pilot bush?

If so, was it all but concentric or are you going to have to fit the bellhousing on adjustable dowels to get it within the tolerance limits?

Following this thread with great interest as I'm currently amassing the parts to do my own conversion - with shipping costs, import duty & vat, it is just way too expensive to import a Driven Man kit into the UK.

Regards

Andy.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by bigpigpants
Have you got to the stage yet of checking that the hole for the transmission in the bellhousing is concentric with the crankshaft pilot bush?

If so, was it all but concentric or are you going to have to fit the bellhousing on adjustable dowels to get it within the tolerance limits?

Following this thread with great interest as I'm currently amassing the parts to do my own conversion - with shipping costs, import duty & vat, it is just way too expensive to import a Driven Man kit into the UK.

Regards

Andy.
There is something on that in installation manual, but I will keep you posted on that.

Quick Reply: XJS TH400 to TKO500 conversion from your friendly Ohio redneck.