XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS V12 engine converted to 2JZ-GTE twin turbo project

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJS V12 engine converted to 2JZ-GTE twin turbo project

hi there,

i'm Shawn from Malaysia (a country in south-east asia).

my dad's got an old XJS 5 litre V12 2-door. currntly engine's condemed so we're doing a little backyard projct 2 convet and swap out the motor for a 2JZ-GTE 3.0l twin turbo engin. jus for those few who may not know it's the motor from the toyota supra '99. it is a inline 6cyl 3000cc 2x turbo intercooled engine.

well this is my dad's ride so he opted more for comfort, so last week we sourced a 2JZ-GTE auto (instead of the manual clip), from a '98 toyota aristo. engine is identical 2 the supra (only downside is that's auto) so this is indeed the big mama 2JZ-GTE which is an absolute humdinger of an engine. the only other japanese engine that can come near this chunk is the skyline RB26-DETT which is slightly on the rarer side here. costs a lot more as well. anyways let me start out by saying 3 yrs ago my wealthy uncle decided 2 get rid of some of his luxury rides so the XJS was literally given 2 my dad but the engine was in shitty shape as it'd been rotting in the garage untouched for about 10 yrs. reason we're plonking the 2JZ in's cos we can't really afford the intense repairs & maintenance and ordering parts is a hassle as it'll have 2 come if not from UK at least some other far-off place. we'd have 2 pay shipping/tax and not 2 mention not many of us ACTUALLY KNOW a jag inside out. jag masters are mostly UK/euro-based hehe and we're definitely not there. so my cousin took a look at the engine bay and we all came 2 the conclusion in 2minutes - plonk in a 2JZ-GTE twin turbo. bye bye V12. end of story.

the car was towed from my house few days ago but yestrdy i visited my cousin's scrapyard and they've made quite large progrs dismatling the V12 from the XJS... y'all want pics rite? here are some:

my cousin's gang busy taking the bits n pieces out before the big lump gets pulled out.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

don't worry many more 2 come of the 2JZ getting err.. 'shoe-horned' in hehe!

from what the mechs say removing the V12 is NO easy task at all even with all the hi-tech tools, but it will be fully stripped out in a day or 2. i'm actually east malaysian where off-roading is very very very popular so what people love doing's taking huge lumps like the 1JZ or 2JZ and putting 'em in their 4x4's and just destroying the countryside. there are quite a lot of old euro cars here like old Beemers and mercedes, and many ppl just can't keep up with the maintenance of the stock engines as they're jus 2 old, so we swap in turbo jap engines hehe! 2JZ is the common choice for bigger cars while the smaller old-skool beemers (like e30) are normally converted for drift powered by nissan silvia SR-20s from the S13 or S14. if i'm not getting the model wrong (i think) they just did a 1988 E280 merc powered by a 1JZ-GTE VVTI turbo engine, that thing's got so much torque it wheelspins if u floor the gas WHILE ALREADY MOVING or cruising at 60km/h, and it's only auto trans - an old dude's car. i can only imagine the VVTI 1JZ connected 2 a manual trans with a badass clutch. i will get the pics here as well. from what i can see the XJS V12 engine's long and tall. the 2JZ is tall as well but FAT, so it's quite a challenge fitting a fat engine into a skinny but long engine bay. but... it's gonna get done =)

basicaly here's the plan for the jag:

1. swap in the 2JZ-GTE auto
2. fully custom make a new wheel base, (change suspension, rims, axles, LSD, everything la!)
3. 4-inch exhaust piping system with big-as-possible muffler for some good sound
4. spray the car black, it is currently an ugly murky green colour. not healthy and sporty looking.
5. slam low on big '2-piece' 8jj and 9jj rims (back rim wider than front rims), probably 18s and possibly mod the PCD (i still don't know the XJS PCD, anyone here know?)
6. inside will be kept as ORIGINAL as possible, cos my dad's old fashioned and likes the XJS interior soooo much.
7. possibly lighten the car as much as possible. i know for a fact with the V12 lump's a lot heavier than the 2JZ.
8. when everything's nice and running, and since the 2JZ is known for its bulletproof bum, we'll swap in a big mama singe turbo and possible a standalone ECU for some HP increase. it's also nice 2 know that the jag chassis is super stiff, and we're glad we're moving onto a platform that gives us 'upgradeability' to the 600/700HP marker. stay tuned folks!

sorry i've typed 2 much... i get talkative when it comes 2 modified cars. sory ladies/gents

Old 02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Default RE: XJS V12 engine converted to 2JZ-GTE twin turbo project

visited the yard again 2 chill out with my cousin. was supposed 2 be their off-day but then everyone was still going my dad's jag simply cos people just love 2 do cars here. it's their passion, period.

anyways this is what an XJS looks like haha without engine!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and of cos let's not forget what ONCE was.... 5.3l V12 lump sitting all by itself...

[IMG][/IMG]

cos that thing's gotta make way for my new powerplant, the mighty 2JZ-GTE twin turbo!

[IMG][/IMG]

more pics 2 come in the next few days of our XJS project!!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:00 AM

hehe remember i mentioned my cousin did a supra engine conversion on an old merc?? he dropped in a 1JZ-GTE 2.5l 6cyl twin turbo taken from supra MK3. hehe here's the pics 2 prove it (u can actually see the merc in the background of the XJS pics, it's on the left)... but here the really interesting ****, the engine bay!

[IMG][/IMG]

but then again here's the better part, it's NOT JUST a 1JZ supra twin turbo engine, it's this:

[IMG][/IMG]

a 1JZ-GTE VVTi! this is even better than the normal 1JZ, altho it uses a single turbo instead of twin (like normal 1JZ) it's FAR better than the original. this thing's auto but it creates so much low-end grunt power that the back tires just keep spinning on lowest gear till redline and a greater part of D3 gear as well. sweet stuff folks!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:07 AM

also another car in the works by him is this old skool beemer, 2-door e30 i think... being converted to SR20 'black-top' turbo engine, taken from S14

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

here's the engine bay... SR20 goodness!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

when this is done it will be fitted with OS Giken twin-plate clutch and flywheel, haltech standalone computer management, 3-inch straight exhaust piping, supra MK3 wheelbase, a massive turbo - all in the name of our religion - DRIFT!!

do let me know if u guys would like 2 see some other cars of malaysia apart from our lil XJS project... cheers...

Old 02-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice pics. You don't mind if I show these off in my 240sx forum?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:16 PM

ey go ahead brother no problems there.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 AM

work is progressing well on my dad's XJS

o yea i managed 2 find out the PCD of the jag rims, they're 120mm, which is the same as BMW and volvo i think?? *sigh* will be bit harder 2 find suitable rims as the selections more on the japanese 114.3mm rims over here..

oh well... here are some more pics i took just now... the engine is being finally put in... it has undergone EXTENSIVE mods 2 the gearbox, as MANY bits just do not fit. many of the switches, relays, and other misc electronics have been modified as well so the stock XJS dash and meters can still be used... judging from what my cousin was saying just now i cannot even begin 2 explain the amount of work that's gone into the modification of the electronics and wiring, as well as the physical knocking and cutting here n there 2 the engine components etc...

enough talk, here are the pics!!

here's the 2JZ-GTE that's going in - fully reworked, rebuilt, with modified wiring loom, switches, relays etc

[IMG][/IMG]

hehe a LAST and final look at the once-mighty 5.3l V12 jag engine

[IMG][/IMG]

bigass crane slowly hoisting our 2JZ into the jag - this was cool!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

making the 'inch' adjustments

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008, 03:08 AM

the engine and gearbox are finally in!! and not 2 mention there's an INSANE amount of space left in front of the engine!! wow this jag engine bay really is LONG!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

more pics 2 come soon!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 AM

just thot i'd showcase my fren's car as well... this is 2 show we drop supra engines in almost everything hehe!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I'm enjoying reading about this project. I am not that mechanically inclined, but good to see you guys can put anything into an engine bay. Will the weight difference affect the height of the front suspension at all? Hate for the *** to dip too much.

So what are you going to fill in that large gap between the motor and the radiator location? Lunchbox to keep your pizza warm? Pet carrier? lol

Old 02-22-2008, 04:14 AM

ORIGINAL: h20boy

I'm enjoying reading about this project. I am not that mechanically inclined, but good to see you guys can put anything into an engine bay. Will the weight difference affect the height of the front suspension at all? Hate for the *** to dip too much.

So what are you going to fill in that large gap between the motor and the radiator location? Lunchbox to keep your pizza warm? Pet carrier? lol

hehe what do u know?! someone IS interested after all ahaha! for awhile there i thot no one could be bothered about our lil project =) weather's pretty hot here all year round (tropical climate) so pizza's generally STAY warm - and... the space in front has been nicely filled up but didn't take pics - altho the pet carrier was high on the priority list we couldn't find a pet that could err.. take the twin turbo heat so we opted for a bigger thicker aluminium radiator instead, and big mama fan as well - so the engine bay's nice n compact now. top wiring man's been called in 2 wire the whole thing up as well so he's busy figuring out how 2 re-use the stock XJS dash n dials, on the 2JZ (accurately of cos)...

by tomorrow we should be able 2 start the car so yea it's lookin kinda good. as for the front being a lot lighter now the ride height seems unaffected at all surprisingly - it was carefully measured and the car seems 2 be the same as last time altho the 2JZ is SIGNIFICANTY lighter than the XJS V12 engine. nevertheless we've sourced a set of koni shocks n springs 2 replace the 30-yr old stock jag sticks =) also bought some rims yesterday - here they are:

2-piece dunno what brand 17-inch rims from japan (ripped off a BMW). PCD 120mm , 5-hole '2-piece' rims. rear rims are 8JJ and front is 7JJ, negative offset for that deeper dish sorta look. they came with nice very wide tires as well! rear 255/45/17 and fronts are 225/45/17... they will be sprayed a flat black color 1st before putting 'em on =) here they are:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

anyways more 2 come soon!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Ahhh, the big 'turnover' day, hope it goes well for you. Good idea with the new radiator and fan, doesn't hurt to help cool down that engine and turbo. I'm just amazed at the different pieces you can put together, and with all luck...make it work. gauges on the dash should be fun, can't wait to hear how that turns out.

Glad you could also find some wheels that'll fit. And here you were worried. I assume these are bigger than the stock XJ (not my specialty)?

keep the pics and updates coming. At least one of us is watchin. I'm sure the tech guys like reading also, as they can appreciate the challenge you've undertaken, they just haven't thought of which question to ask first. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 02-24-2008, 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: h20boy

Ahhh, the big 'turnover' day, hope it goes well for you. Good idea with the new radiator and fan, doesn't hurt to help cool down that engine and turbo. I'm just amazed at the different pieces you can put together, and with all luck...make it work. gauges on the dash should be fun, can't wait to hear how that turns out.

Glad you could also find some wheels that'll fit. And here you were worried. I assume these are bigger than the stock XJ (not my specialty)?

keep the pics and updates coming. At least one of us is watchin. I'm sure the tech guys like reading also, as they can appreciate the challenge you've undertaken, they just haven't thought of which question to ask first. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
haha thank u brother [8D]

we'll probably only add gauges in a very conservative manner cos this after all is no jap car, it's an XJS so probably only boost meter, turbo timer, and oil/water temp and pressure so as 2 not make the stock dash look like a plane cockpit hehe! plus my dad wouldn't know what either of 'em is anyways hehe!! we opted for a fluidyne full-aluminium racing radiator coupled with a big mama fan, which my fren calls a tornado generator. btw have u SEEN the f*ckin' size of the stock XJS radiator, IT IS massive man! it looks like it came out from a Scania truck! it certainly weighs as much as a scania that's for sure!! [sm=yikesomg.gif]

the wheels are 17-inch, yes they're bigger than the stock XJ rims, altho not the best lookers, they're certainly better (in my opinion) than the stock ones - which are THE ugliest 15-inch pieces of sh*t anyone's ever laid their eyes upon. what was jaguar thinking?? yea i know it was back in the day, but still! they're also a mile wider too which's good to give it that lowered stance menacing look.

hehe was only kidding when i mentioned only u was interested hehe, it's fine even if no one is - cos i'm not searching for praises at all, all i want is 2 provide info 2 anyone wishing 2 do the same 2 theirs, and let 'em know it's definitely do-able after this is done, we're gonna drop a supra engine into my uncle's ancient, abandoned, rotting Triumph TR7 which is tiny compared 2 the XJS.... my cousin did a mini-cooper with an RB20 skyline engine as well (mounted in the boot and rear seats) will try get pics of that... it can't even move in a straight line cos there's just 2 much power for that little banger.

hehe anyways if u guys think what we're doing's tough, wait till u c this folks:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

XJS with 8.0l dodge viper SRT-10 engine. now THAT is nice!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:21 AM

went 2 see the jag again today - engine has been started... wow it sounds nice even tho exhaust piping hasn't been done yet =) it has a bassy low rumble and the turbo whistles and hisses when the gas is slammed. of cos it's kinda rough still but should be smoothened out... here are some pics of the intercooler piping - which's NOW complete.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: glebshein

WOW, such an interesting project, among others!!! I gotta say that Jag is really heavy and I hope that the Supara engine will not be overworked. How about electrical?? will you guys replace/retrofit the ecetrical system?? What kind of tools do you guys use??? Do you have scantools?? emission tools?? Thanks!!1
wtf are scantools?? emission tools? i presume they're tools 2 detect ur emission gases from exhaust? if it's that then hehe i doubt it cos nobody gives a **** about the environment over here bro, people only care about their car being powerful and that's that i guess. hehe why? u want me 2 do ur car? yea i hope this 2JZ can pull the XJS, but one thing i can DEFINITELY say is that altho smaller displacement, this 3.0l twin turbo will pull WAY harder than that V12. sides i don't know many engines that get souped up to 800-1000HP with stock internals (engine block). my neighbor's supra MK4 is living proof, almost 800hp with stock pistons and conrods - car gets raped on a daily basis - still good as ever.

hehe the wiring is difficult 2 comment on, as it's still being done and i'm no wiring master. one of our top 'wiring kings' has been called in 2 fully wire this XJS up, toyota style. but it's cool, he loves a challenge. EVERYTHING inside the XJS has to be the same, dash, dials, meters - everything. there can be no evidence of toyota in the driver cabin, cos that's how my dad wants it. only thing will be boost meter and oil press/temp hidden in glovebox.

yesterday we got word from cousin's fren that their yard's about 2 do another old skool sports car - really one of a kind in our nation. it's a lambo countache (is that how u spell it?) gonna be transplanted with a f*cking ferrari F430 engine. wowie!! will try snap some pics!!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:22 AM

ORIGINAL: glebshein

If you don't have scantool (diagnostic equipment) then how do you troubleshoot issues like the engine light coming on, like if a sensor did not work, or something like that. How do you deal with ignition timing???? do you just get good engines and not worry about it??? i know that in japan, they have tough emission laws and you cant run an engine after certain miles. how about you

By the way, that jaguar with the viper engine is great i must say that the viper itself looks much better than a jaguar, but i am assuming that the viper crashed and you pulled the engine. awesome. can't wait to hear from you. please keep in touch i would love to see what else you are working on. I am saving all pictures on my computer and i hope you don't care because they are just so cool!!!!! Here in america, your shop would be the most popular in the entire USA i am telling you. but try and get a hold of such a nice engine like the supra or nissan turbo good luck

Hoep to hear from you

Gleb
ok if scantools are diagnostic equipment then yea we got 'em, we just don't know what the f*ck they're called so if scantoolz is da name then well SCANTOOLS it is! hehe! they may have tough emission laws in the land of the rising sun, but we ain't in japan are we? as long as the engine's in good shape then we'll pop it in bro. 2ndly if it's in good shape it shouldn't be belching smoke or anything (not that we care anyways about the environment)... so the rule of thumb here is - if the engine's healthy, and it is power loaded, then that's all that matters. everythin else is secondary 2 those facts.

uhh maybe i wasn't clear but actually i jus found the pic of the XJS with viper engine in it on the net, was just exclaiming how cool it was that's all - i didn't say we did it or anything hehe so sorry if u misunderstood. only the pics of the GREEN XJS with the supra 2JZ engine is our project man. the viper XJS is not, jus came across the pics man. viper don't necessarily need 2 crash for its' engine 2 get pulled man, cos another cousin of mine staying in san diego USA actually purchased a corvette C6 engine from chevrolet, so it didn't come from any car at all. ur last line confuses me a little as well

"but try and get a hold of such a nice engine like the supra or nissan turbo good luck"

but we are dude hehe!! the 2JZ being popped into the XJS is a supra engin man. maybe wat u meant was u wanna see MORE projects that're being done by my cousin's yard or wat?

Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 AM

Hey i'm watchin too! Keep em coming, you guys are doing a great job! Nice read
And yes, that Viper engine is sick!!

Quick Reply: XJS V12 engine converted to 2JZ-GTE twin turbo project