XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Xjs v12 park brake fail

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xjs v12 park brake fail

I have a 90 xjs just bought. To out there the top down I engaged the parking brake. Too went down. Then up. Now the parking brake will not disengage. I tried playing w the handle. Driving it slow back and forth. But it won't release and the light is still on. Please help?!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

On my 83, you have to pull the handle up gently then while up push the little button in on top of the handle and lift a little more, you should feel it disengage and then while keeping the button pressed in you lower the handle all the way down. your light switch could be a bit dicky but you should definitly have the brakes off.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 AM
Received 501 Likes on 317 Posts

a common issue for new owners

the handbrake ( park brake ) handle is designed to drop after the application of the brake, this is so it does not get in the way for getting in and out of the car,

application is as described by katoh , pull up the handle to take the load, push the button and drop the handle , the park light should now go out

another issue resulting from this is that the park brake pads get damaged or ripped out buy moving the car with the brake applied , so check out this park brake pads

enjoy your new car

BB

ps, there is a genuine window sticker for the explanation of this operation that goes in the drivers door quarter light , usually missing from cars these days,

Old 06-25-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brake buster
a common issue for new owners

the handbrake ( park brake ) handle is designed to drop after the application of the brake, this is so it does not get in the way for getting in and out of the car,

application is as described by katoh , pull up the handle to take the load, push the button and drop the handle , the park light should now go out

another issue resulting from this is that the park brake pads get damaged or ripped out buy moving the car with the brake applied , so check out this park brake pads

enjoy your new car

BB

ps, there is a genuine window sticker for the explanation of this operation that goes in the drivers door quarter light , usually missing from cars these days,
Hello,

That did not work. I only driven it like 3 feet so I doubt I damaged it. What is my next option. I can't drive it so can't really take it to the shop. Don't want to drag it onto a tow truck. Thank you for the help.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Courso
Hello,

That did not work. I only driven it like 3 feet so I doubt I damaged it. What is my next option. I can't drive it so can't really take it to the shop. Don't want to drag it onto a tow truck. Thank you for the help.
Also there is no load when I pull up like a normal e brake. It just goes up easy. The button is also inside until it gets to top. The wire under the brake is tight though.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Sounds to me that either the cable linkage or the brake pads/calipers are sticking. I think you need to get under the car to free up what ever is sticking and lubricate where appropriate.

Mark

Old 06-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Courso
Also there is no load when I pull up like a normal e brake. It just goes up easy. The button is also inside until it gets to top. The wire under the brake is tight though.
If the handle is lifting with no load and the cable is tight, the problem must be the at the handle end of the mechanism. Lift the carpet at the inside sill area and release the nuts securing the outer cable until tension is released. Maybe the pawl is stuck in the ratchet or similar problem.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

There should be no load on the handle when the handbrake is engaged, you should be able to pull it up and down with no resistance at all, Again please read my first post, pull the handle up when up push the button in and lift the lever further to you feel weight, do not release the button, while lifting you should feel the weight click into the handle, lower the handle and then release the button. If that doesn't work you must have something stuck in the mechanism but I still think your technique is wrong
Good luck