XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS V12 starting trouble....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJS V12 starting trouble....

Hi guys,

Wonder if I could have some help. I bought an XJS V12 convertible a couple of years ago and have been slowly restoring it, its now done nearly 46k miles. Amongst other things had all the bodywork done, rear quarters, sills, front arches, lower front cross beam etc, shes starting to look good....

I am a big Jag fan and had around 9 over the years and my daily is an XJ Supersport so thought I would buy an older one!

On a mechanical front rear axle has been stripped and rebuilt, new brakes front and rear, oil cooler replaced and various engine leaks fixed. It has never really run right and always felt a bit lacking in smoothness considering its a big V12. I took the car home (it was stored at work) and realised the garage that did the work did a poor job and it was still leaking from the rocker covers and was generally a bit sorry for itself in the engine bay area so thought I would strip it down and get it running perfectly.......

Since I have done the work it won't run at all! It turns over, fires very lumpy, chugs, sounds like its running on 3 or 4 cylinders and then dies. It does this consistently whatever I do. As a run down since the car last ran I have done the following:
  • Cleaned distributor and rotor arm (this was new 3 years and 2000 miles ago)
  • New spark plugs, Denso and gapped correctly
  • New ignition leads
  • New fuel injection wiring harness
  • Stripped and rebuilt fuel injectors, newlines, pintels etc
  • New rocker cover gaskets
  • Throttle blades reset as per factory
  • New extra air valve
  • New water temp sensors

The things I have checked and had no effect on the symptoms:
  • Put the old plug leads back on
  • Checked for spark on each plug lead
  • Measured fuel pressure at fuel rail
  • Grounded out water temp sensor
  • Plenty of fuel
  • Put small clear bags on each injector to check each injector fires

I am an automotive engineer so like to think I have gone through the logical steps, although working on this engine has been an eye opener, seems super simple and tough yet complex and fickle at the same time!

Any thoughts from the V12 seasoned people on here?!

Thanks

Simon

Old 12-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

New fuel?
Have you checked the swirl pot below the fuel tank to see if it is full of crud?
Same with the fuel filter.
Crank shaft position sensors? There are 2 I believe.
Much more to check yet!
Looks nice though.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

2 on a marelli car, what year is this one?

Old 12-28-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

Checked your firing order? Twice?

Old 12-28-2018, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,772 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Hi Simon

One of the Vital Components that is often overlooked is the 'Resistor Pack' aka the 'Silver Box' with the Plug and Socket, which is down by the Headlamp Nacelle (drivers side on a UK Car) as its is a bit of a PIA to get to

But if the Plug and Socket is dirty, then it can play Havoc with the Firing of the Injectors and was one of the reasons that my Car 'Cherry Blossom' was running like a Tractor, when She eventually Started

Although the Primary reason for this was that I had inadvertently connected the Two Coils to the Wrong Bank of Cylinders on my Marelli Car

The Lower Coil the Red one goes to 'A' Bank

The Upper Coil the Yellow one goes to 'B' Bank

And I had these the wrong way round

Other possibilities:

(1) Blocked Fuel Filter which could give the Correct Fuel Pressure when Tested but could be intermittent when actually running

(2) Fuel Pump on the way out

(3) Any droplets of Water anywhere near the engine

You can read about the 'Saga' of how I got her Started not from a 'Breakdown Service' or by reading a Manual but with loads of invaluable help from 'Greg' in France and 'Grant' 'The Wizard of Oz' in errr.. Australia

What either of these 'Guys don't know you don't need to know'

Getting 'Cherry Blossom' Started when She wouldn't go

We tried every trick in the book and one of them Worked!

Getting my XJS V12 Started after a long lay up when She wouldn't go Page 11 of my 'Cherry Blossom' Restoration thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Received 10,479 Likes on 6,919 Posts

Simon.

What year the beast??????

2 Ignition systems.

Lucas, Big Blue dizzy cap with ONE coil HT lead.

Marelli, smaller cap, ?colour, and TWO coil HT leads.

Count the HT leads, 13 = Lucas and 14 = Marelli.

Very different diagnosis for each system, although what has been mentioned is mostly common. The Lucas no got crank sensors.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,168 Likes on 677 Posts

Personal preference, Throw those damn "Denso" Plugs in the Trash!!!
They earned me one heck of an azz chewing many years ago. I was the mechanic for a Kawasaki Dealer, in the late seventies. I had just finished a 600 mile tuneup on a KZ 400, a simple 2 cylinder. The owner had requested Nippon Denso plugs. He picked the bike up just before I went to lunch. Upon returning from lunch I saw the "Bike" was back in the work area. I asked my Boss why? He proceeded to chew my azz, and tell me, the guy was pissed, and would never buy another GD thing from us as long as he lived! I asked what the problem was, and he said it wouldn't hardly run? I popped the point cover off, and checked the gap OK? started the bike and sure enough it ran like dog ****. I checked the air intake, and everything else, and found no failure???? I told my Boss give me a set of NGK plugs, as this wasn't the first time I'd had Denso plugs fail. Sure enough, I gapped and installed the NGK's and all was cured. The Bike ran perfect. I told the boss I'll never install another Denso Plug in anything. If a customer wants them, they will have to install them themselves!
I don't know if that will fix your problem or not. But I damn sure wouldn't have spent my money on them. Just my Thoughts.

Jack

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 02:51 AM

Thank you for the replies!

Just to clarify,car is a 1988 and has the Marelli ignition system. I have focused my fault diagnosis on to things i have changed or fiddled with as I drove it into the garage.

Couple of questions again...
  1. has anyone else ran Denso plugs and they have been fine?
  2. Where is the fuel filter located,presumably under the back of the car by the pump?
  3. There is a smell of fuel around the back of the car, I have read this is normal.....doesn't seem normal to me, can anyone confirm or deny this?
  4. Appreciate fuel pressure at the fuel rail is ok but also know this does not necessarily represent flow rate,if I put a pie from the fuel rail entry into a bottle what l/h can I expect from a good pump?
  5. No water anywhere near the engine
  6. I have not checked the resistor pack, the bonnet of off the car so I locating it should be easy bit how to I then check its function?
  7. I had a connector fail on the crank sensor before but it didn't even attempt to fire, at the moment it seems to want to go, chugs a bit and then dies.
  8. Orangeblossom - I have made myself a coffee and shall read your thread!
Thanks again

Simon

Last edited by Skinthespin; 12-29-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,251 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Just a few random thoughts:
  • The dizzy turns anti-clockwise, the leads just might be fitted assuming clockwise
  • Check that plug A1 (RHS front cylinder) is sparking just before piston A1 comes up to compression stroke TDC; do the same for B1 (front LHS).
  • The marelli has a two level dizzy and rotor, and two king leads (I think). The marelli experts can tell you what goes where, so ask them for a pic/the correct way to connect them.
  • Pull an injector on a front cylinder, as they are easier to remove, and do a spray test.
  • There are two ignition amplifiers on the panel above the radiator. These, and the looms to them from the dizzy etc, can go bad, replacing them (unless someone here can tell you how to test them) is a god plan. The looms you will have to build yourself as I believe they are NLA.
  • The B bank (LHS) fuel pressure regulator may be duff, worth changing it anyway, and the RHS one, if fitted, can be bypassed as it does nothing useful.
FWIW, the crank position sensors front and rear would be the first thing I would change, and the gap between the rear sensor and the ring gear is critical. If you ask Warrjon, he will tell you the gap spec. As already mentioned, of you have not replaced the fuel filter and cleaned out the sump tank under the battery, that is the first thing, IMO, followed by a spark timing check on A1 and B1 cylinder

Last edited by Greg in France; 12-29-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:25 AM
Received 10,479 Likes on 6,919 Posts

Originally Posted by Skinthespin
Thank you for the replies!

Just to clarify,car is a 1988 and has the Marelli ignition system. I have focused my fault diagnosis on to things i have changed or fiddled with as I drove it into the garage.

Couple of questions again...
  1. has anyone else ran Denso plugs and they have been fine?
  2. Where is the fuel filter located,presumably under the back of the car by the pump?
  3. There is a smell of fuel around the back of the car, I have read this is normal.....doesn't seem normal to me, can anyone confirm or deny this?
  4. Appreciate fuel pressure at the fuel rail is ok but also know this does not necessarily represent flow rate,if I put a pie from the fuel rail entry into a bottle what l/h can I expect from a good pump?
  5. No water anywhere near the engine
  6. I have not checked the resistor pack, the bonnet of off the car so I locating it should be easy bit how to I then check its function?
  7. Orangeblossom - I have made myself a coffee and shall read your thread!
Thanks again

Simon
Must be a 1989 for Marelli, unless your market got cursed with it earlier than the rest of us.

1) NGK only down here, gapped to 0.025".
2) Behind the spare wheel in the boot.
3) Lack of fire up front = petrol smell down the rear, "normally".
4) I'd have to go searching, but a 2ltr container filled in a few seconds is a good start.
5) OK for now. Mine get a bath every year or so.
6) You DONT. Remove the plug, FUN, clean the plug and the apposing section of the "pack", and then do it again. I use Lemon juice, the REAL stuff, NOT the bottled crap.
7) Cup of Tea, oh boy, that car has NO hope, HAHA, BEER mate, gotta have BEER. Everything becomes as clear as mud after 4 or 5.

The ONLY Marelli car I have ever seen and got running for the guy, had a scungy connection for the FRONT sensor, just down below the oil filler cap area. Seperated, cleaned with the "juice", replugged, fire in the belly, 2 beer repair, simple.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 12-29-2018 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Simon

The Fuel Pump and The Fuel Filter are underneath the Battery in the Boot/Trunk a little bit of a PIA to get to, which is why I didn't put it back in exactly the same position that I found it!

New Fuel Filter about £10 (uk) New Fuel Pump about £35 (uk) on ebay (with a 2 year guarantee!) no need to Spend £200 as they are Generic and fitted to lots of different Cars

The Fuel Pump is Fed by Gravity, so don't go pulling hoses off until you've drained the Tank or you will have more Petrol Flooding everywhere than you know what to do with

In order to drain the Fuel Tank, there is a rubber Blanking Grommet underneath the Car, just opposite the Rear 'Muffler/Exhaust'

Underneath that 'Blanking Grommet' is a Tap that needs a Socket to undo it, then put a plastic tube over the Spout and then drain the whole lot out

Also underneath the Battery is the Sump Tank, which is what you are draining when you undo that Tap

Fuel Tank>Sump Tank>Fuel Pump>Fuel Filter

The Sump Tank can get full of 'Crud' so after draining the Petrol Out, Knock round the Locking Ring on the Sump Tank with a Piece of Wood to avoid any Sparks!

Inside the Sump Tank underneath that Locking Cap, is another Filter which you could either Clean out or replace

Nothing complicated really, replacing the Fuel Pump and Filter can be done in a Couple of hours

Fuel Pump/Filter and Sump Tank XJS V12 Marelli Car all very easy to replace

'The Sump Tank' after draining the Fuel Tank, knock that locking ring round with a piece of wood to undo it and underneath that locking ring is a Filter

Location of the Drain Tap for the Sump Tank underneath a Rubber Blanking Grommet

Drain Tap for the Sump Tank

As for the Spark Plugs I was warned off using the Iridium ones and so I use these instead

Never had a problem using these and always starts first time

NGK BR7 EF Spark Plugs makes my XJS run smooth as Silk!

And just in case you don't believe me Check out the short Video I made

Balancing a 2p Coin on edge on the Inlet Manifold of my running XJS V12 'Cherry Blossom' 'The Video' Bring your own Popcorn

Last edited by orangeblossom; 12-29-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the input.

Things tried today.....
  • Replaced filter, I blew through the old one and there was a lot of restriction, new one much better.
  • Drained surge tank and checked for debris. Got a load of petrol in the face so I guess I am now part of the club. All very clean, the petrol,not the face.
  • Pulled off front 2 injectors, disconnected coils, turned over. Both injectors fired well into a clear bottle.
  • Cleaned the connectors of the resistor pack with contact cleaner and a small wire brush.
  • Pulled off fuel lines from FPR and I have read that if they are ok they don't leak and diaphragm inside is still intact?
  • Put it all back together and still didn't run, chugged and died exactly as before.
I think I have eliminated fuelling as an issue, the injectors seem to fire well on both bank A & B. Although I checked for a spark from every plug lead I am not convinced its a strong one. I am going for a new crank sensor and dizzy cap I think....???

Also anyone know what the pipe is supposed to be attached to? Its on the rear RHS of the motor and can't find a home for this end.....

Thanks again

Simon

Old 12-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

• Pulled off fuel lines from FPR and I have read that if they are ok they don't leak and diaphragm inside is still intact?

Well, yes and no.

No leaks and an intact diaphragm are good things, obviously....but neither ensures that pressure is being correctly regulated. Only testing with a pressure gauge will verify that.

I think I have eliminated fuelling as an issue, the injectors seem to fire well on both bank A & B. Although I checked for a spark from every plug lead I am not convinced its a strong one. I am going for a new crank sensor and dizzy cap I think....???

A strong blue/white spark is important, yes. An orange-ish spark is weak.

I'm not sure if a dodgy crank sensor would change the quality of the spark.

However, I think a sensor problem (fairly common) might cause a hard starting problem by way of a degraded "TDC" signal to the ignition ECU. Let's hear what others have to say about that.

Somewhere in the archives you'll find resistance specs for the sensor. And, sometimes, the air gap becomes clogged with debris, degrading the function.

Also anyone know what the pipe is supposed to be attached to? Its on the rear RHS of the motor and can't find a home for this end.....
Looks like you have RHD car. UK specification? Australian? Different markets had different gizmos and vacuum hoses. Knowing the market spec might help narrow things down

Cheers
DD

Old 12-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Hi Doug,

Yes its RHD UK car. I must have 25 pictures of XJS engine bays saved and every one is different!

I had a dodgy connector on the crank sensor before and it didn't fire at all, cleaned this and it fired right up.....these things usually work or don't I guess....

Thanks

Simon

Old 12-29-2018, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Simon

I'm not 100% sure but it could be one of the Vacuum Pipes off the Cruise Control Solenoid Switch

Old 12-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Simon

Your lack of a Strong Spark is much more likely to be down to the Ignition Amplifiers on the Closing Panel, that goes over the Top of the Rad

Unplug these and clean their plugs and sockets, then put the plugs back and see if that makes any difference

I really hope that its only a case of dirty/corroded Plugs as those Ignition Amplifiers are

(and you better sit down for this) £200 a piece!

And they need to be remounted with Thermal Paste, the same as you use to heat sink a CPU in a Computer

In any event in the Scheme of things, it wouldn't do any harm to replace the FPR on 'B' Bank, as the rubber diaphragms inside do not last for ever and are only about £45

Ignition Amplifiers on the Top Closing Panel of a Marelli XJS V12 Try Cleaning the Plugs and Sockets, as they are very expensive!

If you need to fit New Ignition Amplifiers, they need to be remounted with Thermal Paste like you would use for a Computer CPU

Alex

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (12-29-2018), Greg in France (12-30-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 07:49 PM

Hi,

Already had the ignition amps off and cleaned them, not reapplied the paste yet though..... Tbh it never crossed my mind it could be them but your right it could be.

I guess there is a way to check there functionality???

Thank you

Old 12-29-2018, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Perhaps Item #12 in this illustration, which also shows the hoses

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...itch-5-3-litre

Cheers
DD

Old 12-30-2018, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Simon

That Vacuum Pipe you are holding in the Photo needs to be put back and not left hanging, as any sort of Vacuum leak will almost certainly have an effect on the way that She is running

If you removed the Ignition Amplifiers for Cleaning, I would go and remount them with 'Thermal Paste' before you do anything else, because they need to have 'Thermal Contact' with those 2 Aluminum Blocks of metal that they are sitting on

Or else you could fry all £400 quids worth!

You don't need a giant sized tube like I've got in that photo, any Computer Shop should sell that Stuff or get some off ebay

Alex

Old 12-30-2018, 03:42 AM

Hi Alex, just boiling the kettle and was going to try just that!

Agree on the vacuum pipe hence my pic, all the photos I have of the engine bay it's just hanging, which doesn't seem right!

The amplifiers are only 30 quid each on david manners website too?

http://www.jagspares.co.uk/manners/p...no=DAC10923%2A

https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Eng...a-62c30bb1492b

Last edited by Skinthespin; 12-30-2018 at 03:50 AM.

Quick Reply: XJS V12 starting trouble....