XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Values

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020 | 03:21 PM
|
Default XJS Values

Saw this post on Instagram today re XJS values? Where do we think they're heading next?

View this post on Instagram

Old 08-13-2020 | 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Giles,

That's your own website, isn't it?

Paul

Old 08-13-2020 | 05:00 PM
|

Hey Paul,

Yes it is - probably on the naughty step aren't I!

I see you've got an XJS yourself, what's your view on them being the next E-Type?

Old 08-14-2020 | 12:52 AM

Morning Giles.
I paid just over 12k for my V12 Convertible in December last year which I think now was a bit of a bargain. After going through the car this year doing bit and pieces that needed doing I think if I had to replace it I would have to pay 20k plus. Mine now has an agreed insurance value of 20k. So to answer your question I definitely think values are on the up. Not sure they will get to E Type values though.
Rob.

Old 08-14-2020 | 10:10 AM

The real question is how did Gen X or older Millennials feel about the XJS when they were younger? Baby Boomers lusted after the E-Type when they were younger, now that they have money they're driving the prices up. If the following generations felt the same way about the XJS then prices will rise. But the XJS will always be in the E-Type's shadow. The prices will go up a bit as the number of existing cars goes down, but there were an awful lot of XJSs built, so it's going to take a long time for them to go up substantially and E-Type prices will continue to rise.

Old 08-14-2020 | 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

I believed that about the XJS being less than the E-Type, until I had an experience not long ago. A Jeep-Wrangler driver, male approx 35 yo, come over to gawk at my 1992 coupe. He was excited that the lady who was with him got to see it. He didn't believe it was a '92...he thought it was much older. I realized that it really is a rare car and it looks quite exotic today, especially to someone who isn't fanatical about cars.

On a short drive in a VW earlier this year, I was able to catch up to a white HE coupe with wire wheels. I followed for about six miles, myself mesmerized by its curves. I hadn't seen another XJ-S on the road in 6-7 years.

The XJS is a special car in its own right, not at all like the E-Type, not to be compared to it, but to be enjoyed for what it is. It took me a long time but that's how I see it now.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mkii250:
IowaPopPop (08-20-2020), ralphwg (08-15-2020), Robbo D (08-14-2020), ronbros (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020 | 09:36 PM

I came of age in the middle of XJS’ production run from 1975 to 1996. In theory, it should have been a car that l lusted after in my teens, but I can’t recall ever having seen one prior to trip to England last fall. I was immediately taken with the low wide stance, the long flat hood line and flying buttresses.

When I found out there was a convertible version, I decided to buy one. They are relatively hard to find in the US. I searched far and wide across the internet and there were at most a dozen for sale at any given time.

Since I’ve started driving it around Ohio, I’ve received many positive comments. ”Cool car!” is the one I hear the most, which suggests to me most other Americans really don’t know what it is.

As to whether it will increase in value, I have no idea. For me, it was all about having a car with some panache, that doesn’t scream “Midlife Crisis” and comes from an era when an amateur mechanic could still work on them.

The following 3 users liked this post by Hedman:
IowaPopPop (08-20-2020), Mkii250 (08-15-2020), Rick25 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020 | 10:35 AM
Old 08-15-2020 | 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

as time passes , for me , the XKE seems less and less desirable , it just dont excite me anymore!
i suppose i'm getting older and like many things today things change!
ron

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020 | 04:32 PM
|

Originally Posted by garethashenden
The real question is how did Gen X or older Millennials feel about the XJS when they were younger? Baby Boomers lusted after the E-Type when they were younger, now that they have money they're driving the prices up. If the following generations felt the same way about the XJS then prices will rise. But the XJS will always be in the E-Type's shadow. The prices will go up a bit as the number of existing cars goes down, but there were an awful lot of XJSs built, so it's going to take a long time for them to go up substantially and E-Type prices will continue to rise.
Interesting question Gareth, as someone who sits on the millennial/gen Z border. I've looked and lusted at the E-type since i was knee high, the lines, the exotic history, the characters that drive and have driven them multiply together to make them a car I want and need to have. The XJS, from a combination of its the less delicate appearance and less appreciation of its history, has yet to pull on the heartstrings of someone on the younger end of the classic car spectrum.

Who knows how I'll feel in 15 years from now? But for the moment do I lust after a XJS? No. Do I lust after an E-Type? Yes. Many of my friends feel the same.

Just like Gareth, us, the XJS will always be in the E-Type's shadow.

Mkii250 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020 | 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

I live in Hollywood, CA and the XJS was everywhere back in the 80s and 90s. Nowadays it seems like Im one of the few, and we have a ton of exotics/semi exotics. Lately its been getting lots of attention. I have replaced and repaired everything in my car, with original paint. It looks pampered, and its almost at 200k miles. I know the miles will scare away most, but since its not for sale who cares. Lower mileage cars will always command higher prices, so those could see something above 20k this year. In 5 years 30k. At some point, the price will literally double from one year to the next. Just wait... 10 more years.

Old 08-17-2020 | 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

In the era of RadWood, you'd think that the XJS would be going up in value. What other car personifies that period so well? Seriously, I'm certain that they will go up in value just don't expect to get rich. The problem is that there were so many made. There are so many non-running and barely running project cars selling for 1,500-3,500 dollars. That makes it seem that they are all only worth that much. I only paid 1,200 bucks for mine. I'm trying to do the smart thing and hold onto it. If I I get tired of working on it, it can just sit. I've got it safely in my garage. I just retired completely so I've got time. Besides, this is one of the only old cars I've owned that my Wife thinks is beautiful.

ronbros (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 02:25 AM

I think in the UK the average price has definitely gone up to closer to £10k or above from £5k since when I first looked for one about 4-5 years ago.
Re- younger people wanting them, I'm 24 and bought it when i was 22 but am definitely in the minority.

I don't think that it is because people don't like the car though. More to do with perceived issues with running, insurance costs etc and by the time you might have enough money who knows you might have to get an electric car.

Old 08-18-2020 | 04:17 AM
Veteran Member

As we know, there are huge differences in price, depending on the country, with UK prices way in excess of US prices. Here, good convertibles are £20k+, with the highest standard 6 litre convertible asking prices being £85k! Have a look at this dealers website. They bring in a lot of LHD US cars and they seem to then sell them for big money. Whilst asking prices don't necessarily equal selling prices, it gives some indication of the recent increase in the interest of the XJS. https://clarkesjaguar.co.uk/xjs-for-sale

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Rick25 (08-19-2020), Robbo D (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 12:14 PM

I've been watching XJ-S values for years as I'm sure many of you have. Just recently I have gained a perspective. My conclusion is this in North America:
If an XJS has under 50k miles, the value is increasing at a decent rate
If an XJS has under 30k miles, the value is increasing at a substantial rate
If an XJS has under 75k miles, the value is increasing at a slow rate.
If an XJS has over 90k miles, the value has not increased substantially at all.

Old 08-18-2020 | 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Giles Gunning
Who knows how I'll feel in 15 years from now? But for the moment do I lust after a XJS? No. Do I lust after an E-Type? Yes. Many of my friends feel the same.

Just like Gareth, us, the XJS will always be in the E-Type's shadow.
Sorry for the minor hijack everyone but I'm still interested in Giles' point of view on E-Type vs XJS. Is there a particular version of the E that you prefer? I'm picky and for me it has to be any coupé or a Series 3 convertible, 4MT either way.

But I wonder if your feelings might change if you took a longish trip in an E and then an XJS. Quite a difference in comfort. Also, the E-Type is easy to photograph and looks fantastic in 2D as well as in 3D. The XJS though, you really need to see in person to appreciate, IMO. Maybe I'm just trying to recruit fans for the XJS, lol.

Another thing is, a lot of people seem to go for the XJS because of the 12-cylinder engine that most of them have. Do the engines have an impact on your preference, and your friends'?

Old 08-18-2020 | 04:00 PM

There are two XJS Jaguars in the Saratoga Auto Auction.
https://www.saratogaautoauction.org/...989-jaguar-xjs
https://www.saratogaautoauction.org/...996-jaguar-xjs
So we will see what kind of value they bring in mid September.

The following 3 users liked this post by Harro10:
Mkii250 (08-19-2020), Rick25 (08-20-2020), ronbros (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

The E-Type vs. XJS thing is kind of frustrating because the XJS was never the "next E-Type". It was an entirely new class of car for Jaguar, and the company was just too cash strapped to replace the E-Type for 30 years (F-Type).

Regardless of the brand, pure sports cars are more coveted than Grand Tourers, particularly as classics because everyday practicality is not a consideration. Look at the difference between the Porsche 911 and 928 current values.

Mkii250 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Xjeffs
I've been watching XJ-S values for years as I'm sure many of you have. Just recently I have gained a perspective. My conclusion is this in North America:
If an XJS has under 50k miles, the value is increasing at a decent rate
If an XJS has under 30k miles, the value is increasing at a substantial rate
If an XJS has under 75k miles, the value is increasing at a slow rate.
If an XJS has over 90k miles, the value has not increased substantially at all.

Yes.

No.

What I've seen is that exceptional, truly mint condition examples are getting some big money. Big by XJS standards, that is. As it happens, the truly mint examples usually have the low miles....so I can't disagree with what you've said. But the condition versus mileage thing doesn't always pan out.

To a point, paying the premium for an exceptional car is often a bargain in the long run, as taking an average-condition car and bringing it up to the same standard will almost always cost more money.

Also, some of the more unusual examples bring goof money: 6.0 Coupes, for example.

But, the typical 80s vintage HE Coupe in "good condition" ? Not much movement in prices, no.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-18-2020 | 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mkii250

But I wonder if your feelings might change if you took a longish trip in an E and then an XJS. Quite a difference in comfort. Also, the E-Type is easy to photograph and looks fantastic in 2D as well as in 3D. The XJS though, you really need to see in person to appreciate, IMO. Maybe I'm just trying to recruit fans for the XJS, lol.
The E-type is many things: An automotive icon. Exciting. Gorgeous. Fun. I'd love to have one in my garage.

But, emotional check-boxes aside, the XJS is 10 times the car an E-type is.

Another thing to consider as that when the prices of the famous icons get so high, enthusiasts start looking at the somewhat-less-than-iconic-but-still-affordable cars satisfy their hobby-car itch. For just one example, of many, there was a time when mid-70s Corvettes were looked down on as the least desirable models. Nobody really wanted one. Well, when the most desirable models got too outrageously expensive, the dowager and cast-off mid-70s variants suddenly lookin' pretty darn good...and are now popular in their own right and increasing in value.

The XJS was never an icon and probably never will be. But, hey, it's a Jag. And a helluva nice car for Honda Civic money. People are starting to realize this. The XJS just might start lookin' pretty darn good to more people.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Mkii250 (08-19-2020), Rick25 (08-20-2020)

Quick Reply: XJS Values