XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Values

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250
I believed that about the XJS being less than the E-Type, until I had an experience not long ago. A Jeep-Wrangler driver, male approx 35 yo, come over to gawk at my 1992 coupe. He was excited that the lady who was with him got to see it. He didn't believe it was a '92...he thought it was much older. I realized that it really is a rare car and it looks quite exotic today, especially to someone who isn't fanatical about cars.

On a short drive in a VW earlier this year, I was able to catch up to a white HE coupe with wire wheels. I followed for about six miles, myself mesmerized by its curves. I hadn't seen another XJ-S on the road in 6-7 years.

The XJS is a special car in its own right, not at all like the E-Type, not to be compared to it, but to be enjoyed for what it is. It took me a long time but that's how I see it now.

Special enough that both drivers instinctively wave when passing another. I never saw an XJS before I started, 5yrs later (daily driver) I see them alot more often, get comments, random conversations etc all the time...and this is in a city with more supercars than L.A.

People say to .e they are notoriously unreliable. I enjoy telling them thats just something we tell people to keep the riff raff out

The following 2 users liked this post by VancouverXJ6:
Mkii250 (08-21-2020), ronbros (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
People say to me they are notoriously unreliable. I enjoy telling them thats just something we tell people to keep the riff raff out
Why do people who have never even been in a Jag keep telling those of us who own them that they're unreliable?????

Old 08-19-2020, 08:06 AM
Received 162 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Yes.

No.

What I've seen is that exceptional, truly mint condition examples are getting some big money. Big by XJS standards, that is. As it happens, the truly mint examples usually have the low miles....so I can't disagree with what you've said. But the condition versus mileage thing doesn't always pan out.

To a point, paying the premium for an exceptional car is often a bargain in the long run, as taking an average-condition car and bringing it up to the same standard will almost always cost more money.

Also, some of the more unusual examples bring goof money: 6.0 Coupes, for example.

But, the typical 80s vintage HE Coupe in "good condition" ? Not much movement in prices, no.

Cheers
DD
I agree with your additional conditions. I don't know if I have seen such a tight correlation of miles vs condition as the XJS. The failures are almost guarantee, even cosmetic.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:06 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Me, I'm not too concerned about the value of my '93 convertible. I bought it over 6 years ago, got all the maintenance records from the original owner, and I've kept it garaged and in good condition. There were only 799 of my 4.0 conv. made that year. I drive it to the bank and the golf driving range. I'm happy. Although I must say one of my horns quit on me towards the end of our July 4th parade so I'll have to check that out. Sounds weird with only one horn.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:48 PM
Received 340 Likes on 220 Posts

They made over 70,000 E-types, so 110,000 XJSs doesn’t seem like an oversupply to me.

I’m still daily driving an XJS, as I have since 1996... I’ve burned through five of them. Let’s hope they stay affordable for a while. You can’t drive an XKE like I drive an XJS.

-John

The following 4 users liked this post by Jagsandmgs:
Doug (08-19-2020), Dukejag (08-21-2020), Mkii250 (08-21-2020), Rick25 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 627 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick25
Although I must say one of my horns quit on me towards the end of our July 4th parade so I'll have to check that out. Sounds weird with only one horn.
See how unreliable these cars can be!

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (08-21-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 07:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Why do people who have never even been in a Jag keep telling those of us who own them that they're unreliable?????
... because they are?
Let's try to avoid spats in the mirror, we're not on MG forum
Majority of Jags are unreliable due to two factors.

First. With XJS - the 'glory' goes to v12 models. As a matter of fact, there is nothing in Jaguar stables with worst engine installed. Simply, it's complicated, heavy, obsolete. But you can live with that. What is a true nail to XJS V12 coffin - is the unreliable, insufficient cooling system. Jaguar XJS 3.6 is my daily drive. XJS with v12 would be my daily "project car" with special occasion driving...

Second. Almost every XJS on the market is undermaintained due to complexity. Modern workshops are lacking skills/knowledge while performing repairs or refusing repairs entirely…

Old 08-19-2020, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by XjsBanger
First. With XJS - the 'glory' goes to v12 models. As a matter of fact, there is nothing in Jaguar stables with worst engine installed. Simply, it's complicated, heavy, obsolete. But you can live with that. What is a true nail to XJS V12 coffin - is the unreliable, insufficient cooling system. Jaguar XJS 3.6 is my daily drive. XJS with v12 would be my daily "project car" with special occasion driving...
even with this truth I see it as: the V12 = a little proud; the 6 cylinder = A little embarrassed.

SleekJag12 (08-21-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

The cooling system can be a real problem but, really, it isn't all that hard to get it right. My V12 is my daily driver; never overheats !

IMO, a lot of the tales of woe so often bandied about would be much reduced if people wouldn't try to repair a decades-neglected cooling system on an alá carte basis.

Do it all, do it right, do it once.....and then enjoy the car!

Second. Almost every XJS on the market is undermaintained
Amen, brother !

due to complexity.
Which is more perceived than actual....but that obviously can depend on how often you've been elbow deep into the innards . After some time you pretty much just shrug and dig in. It can be intimidating at first, that's for sure.

Modern workshops are lacking skills/knowledge while performing repairs or refusing repairs entirely…
They don't wanna be bothered learning all the tricks and quirks and, frankly, I don't blame them

On the plus side....and this is huge....owners of old Jags benefit from some the the very best internet support you'll ever find. Virtually every problem and fix is documented and the info very freely shared.....and 99.9% of the time in a very friendly way. As a hobby cars go, the Jaguar community is second to none.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Mkii250 (08-21-2020), SleekJag12 (08-21-2020), Xjeffs (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Xjeffs
even with this truth I see it as: the V12 = a little proud; the 6 cylinder = A little embarrassed.
Now that's interesitng interpretation
It reminds me the conversation with the owner of the brand-new Land Rover: "..I can afford it to be sent for warranty repairs every week, I've got another car to drive in the meantime" That sounds a little proud as well

Old 08-20-2020, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
The cooling system can be a real problem but, really, it isn't all that hard to get it right. My V12 is my daily driver; never overheats !

IMO, a lot of the tales of woe so often bandied about would be much reduced if people wouldn't try to repair a decades-neglected cooling system on an alá carte basis.

Do it all, do it right, do it once.....and then enjoy the car!

Amen, brother !

Which is more perceived than actual....but that obviously can depend on how often you've been elbow deep into the innards . After some time you pretty much just shrug and dig in. It can be intimidating at first, that's for sure.

They don't wanna be bothered learning all the tricks and quirks and, frankly, I don't blame them

On the plus side....and this is huge....owners of old Jags benefit from some the the very best internet support you'll ever find. Virtually every problem and fix is documented and the info very freely shared.....and 99.9% of the time in a very friendly way. As a hobby cars go, the Jaguar community is second to none.

Cheers
DD
That's exactly why I love it. My XJS can drive me into any place in Europe tomorrow - if there is a need and sufficient amount of petrol on the way there, perfectly reliable, not entirely practical (the ashtrays should be deeper). Not sure about approach to v12 and 3.6/4.0, however, if we could do short social experiment with pros and cons for every engine version - 3.6 is the winner, second place goes to v12. The great loser is 4.0 which is 3.6 "redesigned" by Ford to catch up with catalytic converter (blleeech!)

Old 08-20-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 851 Likes on 532 Posts

... because they are?
Compared to what?

That changes everything. Are you saying compared to a fully computer managed mass produced Honda Civic? Or are you saying compared to other low-production high-end luxury or super cars of the same era.

Fairly compared, the 'not reliable' dig is really nonsense. The XJS is likely more reliable than many other cars in its class, and if you don't believe me hang out in the forums of those other cars. You also have to keep in mind that the XJS platform was engineered the early 1970's. And the XJS is likely more reliable than most of mass produced cars of 1970's, when those cars required service every 2,500-3,000 miles. We take for granted now that you don't have to replace points and spark plugs frequently, or adjust carbs, or that cars could start burning oil at 50K miles because they were built to such lousy tolerances. Yet, I know of someone who put over 400K miles on a late 70's XJS and it never had the heads off.

The exception obviously is Leyland era cars could be wildly variant in quality/reliability, but that wasn't the car itself as it was much bigger issues with the company, supply chain and national politics of the time.

The cooling system is unreliable? No it isn't. A neglected and not properly maintained cooling system can be problematic. There is a difference.

As a matter of fact, there is nothing in Jaguar stables with worst engine installed. Simply, it's complicated, heavy, obsolete.

Again, context matters. The famed XK engine was designed in 1949 and was "obsolete" at the end of its use in the early '90's. So? It's a brilliant engine. The V12 was the opposite of obsolete when it went into the XJS in 1975. Electronic ignition and Fuel Injection was "complicated" but cutting edge (and more reliable), so that blanket statement of 'worst engine' installed is really unsupportable with the proper context.

The V12 isn't for everybody, I get that, and in certain situations I could argue the I6 is better. However, the promise and vision of the XJS as intended -- a miles eating continental GT when William Lyons and company based their decisions during a time of cheap petrol and few speed limits -- is only fully fulfilled with the V12. Unfortunately, the world changed drastically as the XJS went from paper to showrooms. Does't mean it's practical, it's just what it is supposed to be.

Cheers

The following 3 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
BenKenobi (08-20-2020), Mkii250 (08-21-2020), Robbo D (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:10 PM
Received 612 Likes on 377 Posts

Kind of an unreal conversation going on here, what's with the obsession with values ? - is that the sole reason for owning one of these things - money ? - if it is then this is the wrong place I think, you don't need a forum you need an accountant.

There is nothing rational about owning or preserving what we deem 'classic' cars, I own 5 now and I can honestly say that if money were the only motive I made some poor choices starting with the first. To keep one of these things on the road isn't an ivestment it is a state of mind, you're not going to make a profit if you have to put one penny into it because those pennies will add up. The cars that sell for silly money are rarely if ever seen outside of their heated storage units, they're not cars, you can't use them - well I suppose you could.

I go to steam fairs and such to see the old machinery, my hat is off to anyone brave enough to take on the preservation of old machinery, to preserve it for other generations, without the lunatics that do this so much heritage would have gone to the scrap man years ago.

Do I consider the XJS in my posession an investment of course I do, will I make money on it - not a chance in my lifetime, will I lose money on it - I hope not but who knows as I'll be dead or a basket case ready for a box before it is sold again.

Value isn't only about money, far too many want to reduce everything to money.

The following 4 users liked this post by BenKenobi:
Doug (08-20-2020), Keesh (08-20-2020), orangeblossom (08-24-2020), Some Day, Some Day (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:52 PM

Now that's interesitng interpretation
It reminds me the conversation with the owner of the brand-new Land Rover: "..I can afford it to be sent for warranty repairs every week, I've got another car to drive in the meantime" That sounds a little proud as well
yeah, I think that's the same kind of proud. : -)
I get to say "its the V12," to the awe of the unlearned, which demonstrates not only the courage to drive such an unreliable beast but the skill to keep it running, and ignoring how dumb you have to be to drive the unreliable beast.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

I get a ton of satisfaction driving these old Jags. So there's a $10,000 value add.

Plus, servicing and maintaining them is a great hobby. Another $10,000 value add.

As a bonus. the tinkering keeps me out of the taverns and brothels. And, as granny always said, a penny saved is a penny earned. There's another $10,000 value add.

So, my old Jag might have a market value of only $5,000 but, it's worth a full $35,000 to me. Which, actually, is far less than the dollar amount I've invested. So, at the end of the day, I'm clearly profiting by owning one.

Cheers
DD

The following 8 users liked this post by Doug:
BenKenobi (08-20-2020), Chap1958 (08-25-2020), David84XJ6 (08-20-2020), Mac Allan (08-20-2020), Mkii250 (08-21-2020), orangeblossom (08-24-2020), Robbo D (08-21-2020), ronbros (08-20-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-20-2020, 09:47 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts
Smile

I have enjoyed reading all the comments on this topic. When I consider how I attach value to my older cars I really do not think about the money part of it any longer. Like Doug said when you consider what value these older cars bring to you on a personal level, the actual cash value of the car is really not important.

Most people that do not deal with older vehicles see a first generation E-type go through an auction and fetch a $100K or more and think that seller just made a killing on that car but in reality if that car was restored you would be lucky to break even on your investment.

I have 5 nice older cars and each one puts a smile on my face. If I had to get down to one I honestly would keep one of my XJS' and that says a lot about how much value the XJS brings to me. .

Will the XJS ever have the demand of the E type? I would say no because the E was built to be a sports car and the XJS was built to be a Grand Tourer.. This is true at least with the early E types but keep in mind that Jaguar was trying to make the E type more of a Grand Tourer with the third generation and I would argue in doing so the 2+2 was no where as sexy an E type as the true 2 seat versions.

I really considered buying a XK8 when I was looking at my first XJS as they both were about the same price at the time. The XK8 is more refined and in my opinion a better driving car and many would argue better looking. The deciding factor for me was simply the XJS was a better fit. Those of us that have had the enjoyment of owning cars that were the right fit have been very lucky. We feel lucky because we stop thinking about costs and rather just enjoy the experience.

The following 6 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
BenKenobi (08-21-2020), Mac Allan (08-20-2020), Mkii250 (08-21-2020), orangeblossom (08-24-2020), SleekJag12 (08-21-2020), Xjeffs (08-21-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

... because they are?
...Almost every XJS on the market is undermaintained
Honestly, that has not been my experience with the four I've had. Surprised to hear that given you have a 3.6. I try to be a careful buyer, paranoid even, or maybe I have been lucky. I don't think it's just luck..

Old 08-22-2020, 03:27 AM

I bet you're living outside of UK, where Jaguar cars are much more appreciated. And due to that - much better maintained. Have you ever met regular XJS owner in the country of it's origin?
​​​Yes, 3.6 AJ6, best thing is - I've bought it... Twice. Looking around on UK market I was unable to find anything better up to £10k... And the sellers, well not sure how to explain missing floor pan or rotten-off radius arm mounts so let's say "mate it's not a new car!" Pathetic experience, honestly.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the minor hijack everyone but I'm still interested in Giles' point of view on E-Type vs XJS. Is there a particular version of the E that you prefer? I'm picky and for me it has to be any coupé or a Series 3 convertible, 4MT either way.

But I wonder if your feelings might change if you took a longish trip in an E and then an XJS. Quite a difference in comfort. Also, the E-Type is easy to photograph and looks fantastic in 2D as well as in 3D. The XJS though, you really need to see in person to appreciate, IMO. Maybe I'm just trying to recruit fans for the XJS, lol.

Another thing is, a lot of people seem to go for the XJS because of the 12-cylinder engine that most of them have. Do the engines have an impact on your preference, and your friends'?
Interesting you say Series 3 - what's the more attractive elements for you vs a Series 1? All a matter of opinion I suppose but interested to hear. Personally, the elegance and beauty of a series 1 is superior to the 2 or 3 for me. In terms of driving, I've never driven one so can't comment, will leave that to the far more knowledgable people of this forum to comment!

Seen plenty of XJS' in person, my uncle used to have one actually but it still didn't pull on the heart strings as much as an E-Type.

In terms of your comment re engines, I'd put it this way. It's like a woman, the looks is what gets you talking to her in the first place, the personality is what keeps you talking to her 30 years later. The XJS from what I'm hearing has the personality once you're in and driving, but for me the beauty isn't enough (vs an E-Type) to get me talking in the first place.

Mkii250 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles Gunning
The XJS from what I'm hearing has the personality once you're in and driving, but for me the beauty isn't enough (vs an E-Type) to get me talking in the first place.
Doesn't really matter how good-looking she is if you never have a chance to go out with her....
To date the E-Type, you need to be able to take her to dinner at The Dorchester, then fly first class in a Singapore Airlines Suite to Tahiti to stay in an overwater bungalow at the Four Seasons, while gifting her with custom-ordered Hermès bags and Prada shoes to keep her happy. Only then will she condescend to allow you in. And once you're with her, you might find she's not really quite as much fun as you imagined, and not really who you want to take on those longer dates.
To date the XJS, you just need to take her to The Cheesecake Factory, then fly economy plus to Hawaii to stay in a hotel that offers a glimpse of the sea from one window, while gifting her with Louis Vuitton bags. Sure, like her older sister she costs a bit to keep happy, but she'll go out with you for a lot less cash down. And while she may not have the curves of Marilyn Monroe, she's still got the proportions of a supermodel and loves to let her hair down and have fun.

The following 5 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
Mkii250 (08-25-2020), orangeblossom (08-24-2020), ralphwg (08-24-2020), ronbros (08-25-2020), SleekJag12 (08-25-2020)

Quick Reply: XJS Values