XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Values

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles Gunning
Interesting you say Series 3 - what's the more attractive elements for you vs a Series 1? All a matter of opinion I suppose but interested to hear. Personally, the elegance and beauty of a series 1 is superior to the 2 or 3 for me. In terms of driving, I've never driven one so can't comment, will leave that to the far more knowledgable people of this forum to comment!

Seen plenty of XJS' in person, my uncle used to have one actually but it still didn't pull on the heart strings as much as an E-Type.

In terms of your comment re engines, I'd put it this way. It's like a woman, the looks is what gets you talking to her in the first place, the personality is what keeps you talking to her 30 years later. The XJS from what I'm hearing has the personality once you're in and driving, but for me the beauty isn't enough (vs an E-Type) to get me talking in the first place.

I used to think the XJS was a platypus shaped 1980s abomination, it really wasn't my target as I was within arms reach (literally) of a XJ12 Coupe, one of 1500 v12's in existence complete with tattered vinyl roof and red paint.

Then my XJS manifested out of thin air, 5 years later I can't live without it I can't walk away without looking back and it turns heads. My layer upon layer of paint polish and growling straightpipe exhaust help Im sure but nobody drives a Jag so its a rare sight, I've even found my own car on instagram as people take photos of it prowling through the city.

I don't think I'd like the E type to drive its not 'badass' as my coworkers say. And my god they are TINY cars compared to the XJS or anything modern, I'd be afraid of rocks shattering some irreplacable trim peice to!

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 384 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
I used to think the XJS was a platypus shaped 1980s abomination, it really wasn't my target as I was within arms reach (literally) of a XJ12 Coupe, one of 1500 v12's in existence complete with tattered vinyl roof and red paint.

Then my XJS manifested out of thin air, 5 years later I can't live without it I can't walk away without looking back and it turns heads. My layer upon layer of paint polish and growling straightpipe exhaust help Im sure but nobody drives a Jag so its a rare sight, I've even found my own car on instagram as people take photos of it prowling through the city.

I don't think I'd like the E type to drive its not 'badass' as my coworkers say. And my god they are TINY cars compared to the XJS or anything modern, I'd be afraid of rocks shattering some irreplacable trim peice to!
Not Badass? That’s because almost no one has developed them as race cars. You can get them down to 2100 pounds race weight and make the same over 600 horsepower the XJS does. The XKE is a brutally fast car and not bulky.

While I’ve raced both. The XJS isn’t as fast as the XKE V12 even though the CD is better on the XJS the total frontal area is so much bigger it doesn’t have the same top speed potential. Nor is it as nimble. It’s almost 2 feet wider And a couple of feet shorter. The XKE roadster just pushes a lot less air Than the XJS does. Plus it’s smaller size allows it to move into Smaller holes quicker than the bigger XJS can.

Mkii250 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Mguar
Not Badass? That’s because almost no one has developed them as race cars. You can get them down to 2100 pounds race weight and make the same over 600 horsepower the XJS does. The XKE is a brutally fast car and not bulky.

While I’ve raced both. The XJS isn’t as fast as the XKE V12 even though the CD is better on the XJS the total frontal area is so much bigger it doesn’t have the same top speed potential. Nor is it as nimble. It’s almost 2 feet wider And a couple of feet shorter. The XKE roadster just pushes a lot less air Than the XJS does. Plus it’s smaller size allows it to move into Smaller holes quicker than the bigger XJS can.
I don't doubt it, the new million+ pound special edition lightweight E-types are quite nice to, obviously built to rip up the competition but that is quite a bit of work!

Old 08-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles Gunning
Interesting you say Series 3 - what's the more attractive elements for you vs a Series 1?...

In terms of your comment re engines, I'd put it this way. It's like a woman, the looks is what gets you talking to her in the first place, the personality is what keeps you talking to her 30 years later. The XJS from what I'm hearing has the personality once you're in and driving, but for me the beauty isn't enough (vs an E-Type) to get me talking in the first place.
Objectively, I agree with you that the S1 is the prettiest car of the bunch, the original as it was meant to look. After all, there is one in the MOMA (an OTS). But I think even as a kid I was more drawn to GTs. Also I couldn't quite accept the narrow track of the earlier E-Types, which was addressed with the S3.

I sincerely hope you have an opportunity to drive an E some day!

Being located where you are, have you been to Goodwood? Maybe that's a topic for another thread.

Last edited by Mkii250; 08-25-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6
I don't doubt it, the new million+ pound special edition lightweight E-types are quite nice to, obviously built to rip up the competition but that is quite a bit of work!
As a racer I now use the XJS because I can still buy rust free examples very cheap and with a tiny ($5000) budget and work I still Can go out and have the wonderful V12 sound and fun. Will V12’s even be available in 40 years?
Yes newer cars are faster. Wait 30-40 years and today’s fast cars will be slow in comparison to whatever new stuff is out there. ( if indeed cars are still the standard transportation )

Mkii250 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Sorry for the minor hijack everyone but I'm still interested in Giles' point of view on E-Type vs XJS. Is there a particular version of the E that you prefer? I'm picky and for me it has to be any coupé or a Series 3 convertible, 4MT either way.

But I wonder if your feelings might change if you took a longish trip in an E and then an XJS. Quite a difference in comfort. Also, the E-Type is easy to photograph and looks fantastic in 2D as well as in 3D. The XJS though, you really need to see in person to appreciate, IMO. Maybe I'm just trying to recruit fans for the XJS, lol.

Another thing is, a lot of people seem to go for the XJS because of the 12-cylinder engine that most of them have. Do the engines have an impact on your preference, and your friends'?
A longish trip? Its’s over 400 miles north to south in my state and 360 east to west. At age 72 I’ll have a hard time getting in and out of either because they are so low and I’m losing my flexibility

For sure one hand is going on the pavement. But I’ve driven series 1 E types Plus series 3 those sorts of distance and Various XJS those sorts of distance. I personally like the nimbleness the E types offer over the wafting cruise of the XJS. But there is no way I can afford the E type while there is an abundance of the XJS at affordable numbers.

Nothing has the pure raw sexiness of the series 1 E type. Enzo Ferrari himself said as much.
While the XJS has grown on me I can’t ever claim the same lust and desire of the E type.
As far as the V12 it is pure racing machinery in civilized form. The only engine that can storm across countries at insane speeds all the while putting so little stress on parts.
Power wise the Jaguar V12 makes more power than the same era Chevy 454 or big Ford engine etc.
by more than 15% massively oversized bearings a crankshaft made of EN 40 steel that’s hardened post forging. compared to castings in the domestic competition.
The V12 is so fully overbuilt and wonderfully engineered that 100,000 miles won’t wear the pistons or sleeves due to the short stroke employed. If it somehow did ( and Ive never seen it ) the sleeves press right out and new liners slide back in.
realistically the engine cants be worn out.
Yes it can be neglected. As proven time and time again.

Last edited by Mguar; 08-25-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Objectively, I agree with you that the S1 is the prettiest car of the bunch, the original as it was meant to look. After all, there is one in the MOMA (an OTS). But I think even as a kid I was more drawn to GTs. Also I couldn't quite accept the narrow track of the earlier E-Types, which was addressed with the S3.

I sincerely hope you have an opportunity to drive an E some day!

Being located where you are, have you been to Goodwood? Maybe that's a topic for another thread.
Soon I hope!

Grew up a 5 minute drive away from Goodwood so used to spend my school holiday cycling to the motorcircuit in the hope that something cool would be there on a Tuesday afternoon. The majority of the time you find something lurking behind the pits or you'd get lucky and see them some tasty machinery hurling around the circuit or you go there on a press day and it's full of *****.

Once was peaking into a Rolls-Royce parked outside the old control tower there and Rowan Atkinson asked me politely to shuffle on as it was his turn to take the Wraith out on track. Not for me to say if Mr Bean is a **** or not, that's definitely another thread