XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS vs XK8

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017 | 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Andreas Schmieg
"You could buy a brand new house with triple-glazed windows and all mod cons. Or you could go for a 17th century manor: cost you a fortune to heat, you bang your head on the beams and the plumbing would be from the dark ages. But me? I'd take the manor house... in the WORLD!"
Manor quote from 9:04 on here.
(The whole XJS bit is great, though I disagree on visibility, and I've almost never hit cruise control when trying to open the window. I also wonder how the hell 6'5" Clarkson can fit. Mind you, his knees are halfway up the steering wheel...)

Old 11-06-2017 | 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

In my case, I've lusted after the XJS since well before the XK8 came out, so it was a no-brainer. Mostly. The XK8 is a very good-looking car and I was seriously tempted a number of times. That first iteration dash, with the massive curve of wood and all those circular dials, is wonderful. But, aside from the need to fulfil a childhood dream, the clincher for me was when I saw an XK8 driving along and didn't immediately recognise it. The XJS looks like nothing else on the road today--and probably ever.

Not that anybody here really seems to even notice it, mind....