XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Your favorite int/ ext. Detailing products for seriesII xjs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your favorite int/ ext. Detailing products for seriesII xjs?

Hi! New here/ to jags/xjs/ classics and cars in general if in honest...

was wondering:

What are your favorite detailing and restoration products (interior and exterior) for your series II models?

And

What venier do you use to repair your cracked wood pieces?

I'm sure I'll get it professionally detailed at least once, but since I just got it, I'm excited to try doing it myself first!

Old 04-09-2022, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,441 Likes on 5,459 Posts

The first thing I did when I got my Jag was to find a custom fitted dash mat to keep the sun off the crash roll. In California one of those is essential if your car (any car) is to be in the sun for any length of time. I found some good quality automotive carpet and made a mat for the rear deck for the same reason.

For exterior, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer. I have *Never* washed my car with water (which only leaves water spots, nearly impossible to remove, and dulls the finish), but I don't allow it to get so dirty it would need that.

Every couple years I give it a clay bar treatment to get all the road doo doo off and get down to the shiny clear coat. But one must be careful to Always have liquid under the clay or you make irreversible scratches in the surface (fortunately it doesn't show where that happened).

Interior, I use Meguiar's Leather treatment for hard surfaces, seats, console and door liners, mostly because I like the smell it leaves behind. I vacuum the carpets regularly.

Other than that, I just get in and DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF!!
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Ayishas_xjs (04-10-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
The first thing I did when I got my Jag was to find a custom fitted dash mat to keep the sun off the crash roll. In California one of those is essential if your car (any car) is to be in the sun for any length of time. I found some good quality automotive carpet and made a mat for the rear deck for the same reason.

For exterior, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer. I have *Never* washed my car with water (which only leaves water spots, nearly impossible to remove, and dulls the finish), but I don't allow it to get so dirty it would need that.

Every couple years I give it a clay bar treatment to get all the road doo doo off and get down to the shiny clear coat. But one must be careful to Always have liquid under the clay or you make irreversible scratches in the surface (fortunately it doesn't show where that happened).

Interior, I use Meguiar's Leather treatment for hard surfaces, seats, console and door liners, mostly because I like the smell it leaves behind. I vacuum the carpets regularly.

Other than that, I just get in and DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF!!
(';')
Thank you for this! I actually noticed a straight line slash in the dash over the guages...with the whole thing have to be replaced? A dash mat will definitely cover it but I'm wondering about repair options

Also the seats aren't torn at all but they do need a good cleaning and have some pretty worn areas. Is there any harm In using the product you recommended dbefor the seats are somehow sealed?

Old 04-09-2022, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,441 Likes on 5,459 Posts

I don't know much about XJS crash roll, mine was in Excellent condition when I got the car, Hence my decision to cover it and keep it that way. I'm sure there are ways to repair it though, it's just that I have no idea what they might be.

My seats are leather, but modern upholstery leather has a coating of polyurethane over the color layer. If you scrub hard enough to get through that, the next layer is sticky (I can tell you how I know that). Those who know about these things say it's best to use only mild cleaner as I mentioned above, and perhaps a soft brush of seats are really dirty.
(';')

Ayishas_xjs (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 04:58 AM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Zaino products.
For the exterior You cant beat their shine.
Their glass polish is amazing stuff.
Bobmo

The following 2 users liked this post by bobmo:
Ayishas_xjs (04-10-2022), LnrB (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 07:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LnrB
I don't know much about XJS crash roll, mine was in Excellent condition when I got the car, Hence my decision to cover it and keep it that way. I'm sure there are ways to repair it though, it's just that I have no idea what they might be.

My seats are leather, but modern upholstery leather has a coating of polyurethane over the color layer. If you scrub hard enough to get through that, the next layer is sticky (I can tell you how I know that). Those who know about these things say it's best to use only mild cleaner as I mentioned above, and perhaps a soft brush of seats are really dirty.
(';')
Thank you! I'll definutly give that a try😊

LnrB (04-11-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 07:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobmo
I use Zaino products.
For the exterior You cant beat their shine.
Their glass polish is amazing stuff.
Bobmo
Thank you! You have me curious about this glass finish🤔

Old 04-11-2022, 12:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by bobmo:
ayishas.xjs (04-11-2022), LnrB (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 05:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Veneer repair

www.britishautowood.com does fantastic veneer repair.

ayishas.xjs (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gregory Long
www.britishautowood.com does fantastic veneer repair.
Oooookay!!!!! Thank you. This is Awesome. I had no idea replacing the ashtrays with cup hers was an option! I love the crome ashtrays but they serve absolutely no purpose. Lol

Now you have me wondering what else is possible with that center consol 🤔