XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

ECU Tuning Group | Jaguar XKR ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default ECU Tuning Group | Jaguar XKR Supercharged ECU Upgrade

By reprogramming the ECU, not only were we able to increase power for the Jaguar 5.0 Supercharged engines, we were also able to remove the speed limiter, hesitation/flat spots, and raise the RPM all while improving fuel economy by 10-15%.

We can take the Jaguar XKR 510hp & 461lbs tq engine to: 565hp & 525+lbs tq with the ECU and 590hp 550+lbs tq with ECU & Pulley.

For owners who are not accessible to any of our dealers, you are in luck. We are offering a new package where you will be able to reprogram your vehicle through the OBD II port in the comfort of your own home. The process is simple, safe, and easy. Contact us directly for more information.

Please inquire about any Jaguar model.

Contact the sales department for any questions or concerns.

Please obey all traffic laws. ECU Tuning Group does no encourage speeding.

Last edited by sales@ECU Tuning Group; 02-15-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Update: New Gains
The following users liked this post:
gunlover (02-25-2012)
Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

This looks very interesting, and I'm sure a number of members will consider this. These would be common questions that your web-site does not address.

Your website explains how you dyno test vehicles, with different methods producing different results, and I know myself that different dyno types and dyno calibration can yield very different results. Your claim of 560 hp and 511 lb-ft isn't particularly meaningful without knowing how your dyno test method compares to the factory numbers that were achieved using a very different method. So using your test methods, what does the stock engine produce, and can you please post a dyno showing a before and after, or whatever you do have. The site shows various dynos, but none for Jaguars.

How will your mods likely affect Jaguar service or warranty?

How much does the pulley raise the factory boost level, and how well does the factory intercooler handle the resulting increase in intake air temps, and is that a concern for those in very hot climates, or who use the car for racing/road course lapping? EDIT: Just came across this in the "Tuning an XKR?" thread (and don't want to lose it as it is on point) ... "He also educated me on the proper approach to using water/meth in cars like ours ... not for fuel enhancement so much ... but for inlet air cooling which is desperately needed on XKRs for summer performance. Especially ones that have had supercharger upgrades."

And lastly, please describe any experience with tuning the North American spec 5.0 L S/C, and if any members on this board have used your services.

Thank you in advance,

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 12-10-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

@Bruce, Did you receive a PM or any other communication from the ECU Group? I'm curious also.

Mike

Old 12-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Not yet but I'm sure they will.

Bruce

Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce,
Please post whatever the answers are. I have had conversations with them and have tried to read dyno data, but it does not look like it is in English. Still waiting for translation.
Randy

Old 12-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
This looks very interesting, and I'm sure a number of members will consider this. These would be common questions that your web-site does not address.

Your website explains how you dyno test vehicles, with different methods producing different results, and I know myself that different dyno types and dyno calibration can yield very different results. Your claim of 560 hp and 511 lb-ft isn't particularly meaningful without knowing how your dyno test method compares to the factory numbers that were achieved using a very different method. So using your test methods, what does the stock engine produce, and can you please post a dyno showing a before and after, or whatever you do have. The site shows various dynos, but none for Jaguars.

As of the moment, we do not have any dyno sheets available. We shall have one in the next week or so. Stay tuned!

How will your mods likely affect Jaguar service or warranty?

The ECU reprogram is completely undetectable to factory diagnostics. All scheduled maintenance and warranty work is set to take place on time without any changes.

How much does the pulley raise the factory boost level, and how well does the factory intercooler handle the resulting increase in intake air temps, and is that a concern for those in very hot climates, or who use the car for racing/road course lapping? EDIT: Just came across this in the "Tuning an XKR?" thread (and don't want to lose it as it is on point) ... "He also educated me on the proper approach to using water/meth in cars like ours ... not for fuel enhancement so much ... but for inlet air cooling which is desperately needed on XKRs for summer performance. Especially ones that have had supercharger upgrades."

The amount of increase in boost is determined by the calculation of timing/air-fuel ratio/type of fuel used, etc and not just by upgrading the supercharger pulley.

We've never had or seen an issue with keeping the inter-cooler stock. Upgrading the inter-cooler would be beneficial but is not necessary.

And lastly, please describe any experience with tuning the North American spec 5.0 L S/C, and if any members on this board have used your services.

The car itself was already restricted from the factory. By reprogramming the ECU we were also able to better fuel consumption from 17 mpg to 22 mpg. The car has really woken up. After having the honor of working with one of our dealers, we were able to read the data from the xkr-s (tune shall be available soon), and like we have been telling many previously, there is a lot of room for improvement in these cars. We've been programming the 5.0L since they came out; first 5.0L one that we done was for Mark Brahman, the owner of Overfinch North America. Since then, we have reprogrammed endless amounts, including one's for Overfinch.

Quicksilver exhaust with our ECU upgrade should push the car at around 580hp. For those who do not recognize the name Quicksilver, they work with the British Jaguar Race Team.

We have reprogrammed many Jaguars for a number members on this forum. Since we joined this forum recently, we do not recall any of their usernames. Hopefully, if they see this thread, they will share their review for all you to see. As for now, here are a couple pics of a 2011 XJ Supercharged that we reprogrammed a couple months back. Customer opted for tune and pulley.

Thank you in advance,

Bruce
Hope that answers it for you.

Last edited by sales@ECU Tuning Group; 12-12-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fire34609
Bruce,
Please post whatever the answers are. I have had conversations with them and have tried to read dyno data, but it does not look like it is in English. Still waiting for translation.
Randy
Please see attachment.

Not a Jaguar, but a US spec dyno sheet.

Hope this helps

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
US_Spec.pdf (1.21 MB, 785 views)
Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 PM

ETC,
Thanks for the response. Really easier to read in english. As soon as you have any data for Jaguar XJ 5.0L NA please post.
Fire34609.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sales@ECU Tuning Group
Hope that answers it for you.
Thank you for the response. I wonder if you could describe your tuning process a little in order to understand the scope of your work. My experience is with modified turbocharged cars running re-tuned OEM computers, and those replaced with aftermarket computers. I'm not a tuner myself, but I'm familiar with the process of tuning. I won't be asking you to devulge any tuning secrets or proprietary information, and I'm not asking for a "how to DIY tune your XKR in the driveway" thread

I gather from this comment that each tune can be modified based on a variety of conditions and factors. Is that true? "The amount of increase in boost is determined by the calculation of timing/air-fuel ratio/type of fuel used, etc and not just by upgrading the supercharger pulley".

Fuel Map Tuning. What parts of the map do you alter...cruise, part throttle, full throttle, how do you determine the target fuel ratios, and how do you know when you've achieved them?

Ignition Map Tuning. Many tuners are reluctant to alter the ignition map very much as this can cause detonation that can lead to engine failure. Do you change any part of the map when boost isn't changed (by doing a pulley swap), and do you if boost is raised?

Your basic fuel and ignition map file must have been created from experience gained by physically tuning a 5.0 L supercharged Jaguar. When someone sends in their ECU you download that file onto their ECU, possibly making adjustments for different boost levels, fuel octane used, etc. When a custom tune is done on a particular car, like the one you did to make the tuning file, you know the tune is optimized for that car...how can we be assured the tune will be safe on a different car, and whether it will be even close to being optimized?

Does the engine employ a knock sensor, and ECU knock response, that will safeguard the engine by putting it into a "limp mode" if detonation is detected from a lean air/fuel ratio, advanced ignition, high intake air or exhaust gas temperatures, etc, and is this system robust enough to save the engine, for example, with your tuned ECU and some bad gas when under full throttle?

I'm used to seeing dyno results with before and after curves displayed, as well as the air/fuel ratio and boost level plotted for each. This provides the viewer with a much better understanding of the power results. Would it be possible for you to provide that with the up-coming tune and dyno that you'll be posting? If I send in my ECU for a tune I would definitely do a before and after dyno run to see the effect of the changes on my car, and to ensure any aspect of my particular engine doesn't cause it to run dangerously lean.

Do you offer any warranty or guarantee covering the suitability of the ECU tuning changes you make, or for damages they may cause?

Sorry for all the questions, but it does provide you with an excellent opportunity to express your professionalism, and build the confidence needed for us to allow you to tweak our pride and joys! Thanks again.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 12-12-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Former Sponsor

The results on any car are influenced by ignition timing/air-fuel ratio/type of fuel used and other aftermarket parts i.e. exhaust, intake and so on.

We modify various maps in the ECU. We advance timing in the mid range/top end (we don't add power at the bottom end for obvious reasons). Changes are made gradually until we are happy with the final result. After this, we will also test the car on the road with real driving conditions and see how the car behaves. Whether a customer is just tuning the car or adding a pulley, we will adjust the timing accordingly, to where we don't go over board in this area sacrificing liability.

When a car comes out in Europe, we try to get our hands on it as soon as possible. Once we know the limits on say a 5.0 Supercharged Jaguar, we know exactly what to do with other cars with identical engines. Some people have questioned this in the past and wonder if we put the same file in each car, the answer is no. Every file is modified and then loaded into the ECU (every car has its own VIN/immobilizer code, etc).

Imagine, for a 5.0 Supercharged Jaguar to drive at its full potential, the number is 10, 10 is a safe limit for the car. A stock 5.0 SC comes in and is set at 3, we know to add 7 to make it drive at its full potential. If another 5.0SC comes in stock and is set at 4, we will add 6 to make it drive at its full potential. Every download is read and then modified. We don't have to keep putting a car on a dyno to tune it, we have that information from the first time we tested it. Just how Jaguar doesn't have an individual sitting at the end of the production line with a laptop, they know what they're working with.

We NEVER disable the knock sensor. If something was wrong with the car, the car will go into limp mode to protect itself. If poor fuel was being used, the ECU will pull back timing. If a car was being sold in NY (93 octane) to someone in California (91 octane) this doesn't mean the car has to be tuned for California, the car will adjust by itself. Some tuners sell handheld devices to switch a car from 91 octane to 93 octane or to 100 octane which doesn't make sense not only to me, but all the top tuners out of Europe. Once again, the car can adjust.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fire34609
ETC,
Thanks for the response. Really easier to read in english. As soon as you have any data for Jaguar XJ 5.0L NA please post.
Fire34609.
Will be up shortly.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for explaining "the process", and I'm very encouraged with your approach...looking forward to your next update.

Bruce

Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, though I have also some questions.

Boost is of course not variable as you say, it is determined by the pulley size you replace the original with, but of course optimum results requires a specific tune (timing,a/f)for the altered boost. What is the new boost level with your pulley?

As you say you have tested the basic tune, and as this can only be done properly on a dyno (ideally with Eddy current) you must have some dyno sheets right? Can you show them?

Obviously if Jaguar would want to check the ECU, they will be able to determine a change, and I would doubt that this will then fall under warranty. If you are so confident that the tune is safe and that Jaguar will not detect it, why don’t you offer like many EU tuners a warranty (for the standard Jaguar warranty period only of course)?

Old 12-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Former Sponsor

The pulley raises the boost by 1.5lbs, the approximate hp gain is 25hp. The additional power is acheived by tuning the ECU around the pulley.

We warranty software/products offered by our company. With regards to offerering warranty on other parts of the car, things are different here in the US. We were a UK based company originally so I am fully aware of you're saying.

We'll post some dyno sheets and maybe a video soon. The results are amazing.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 AM

I have had the SC pulley change and the ECU upgrade completed by Paramount Performance in the UK before shipping to New Zealand, and traveled more than 120,000klms with no incident. I think the boost must have been a little higher as the SC pulley upgrade gave me a 40hp increase. I can confirm that the ECU change is undetectable by the dealer. I had to ship the chip back to the UK to be reprogrammed because the dealer had reset the chip to factory settings. This was during the warranty period as I didn't want to tell the dealer about the mods. The car is out of warranty now and so I have told them and also let them know not to reset the ECU.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Has anyone installed this pulley kit and ECU upgrade on the 4.2 SC? Did you experience noticeable performance gains?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Any upgrades for the 4.2 engine?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

ETC;

Have you already done the 4.2 SC engines, ie 2004 XKR, etc?

Do you trade ECU's or do I have to park my car while I wait by the mailbox for my ECU to come back?

cheers,

jj

Old 01-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

APT are you the same as ETG?

The De-limiter was the most interesting part.

But if you take out the ECU don't you have to reprogram the whole car again with a Jaguar computer?

How many 'best dollars' are we talking for this service?

Thanks,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 01-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Please view the original post. Gains have been updated to 565hp 525+lbs tq with an ECU tune and 590hp 550+lbs tq with a pulley and tune.

New pricing available on our website. Price List

We posted new information about the Jaguar 5.0L Supercharged in our blog.

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Group | Jaguar XKR ECU Upgrade